Floyd -- he wrote us a letter...

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Radioshack and BMC will be finished by June, no? over a 100 jobs gone too if they do. Landis has the sport by the throat right now
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Naah Radioshack wont fall. BMC - I think that may be more of a risk ?

Is this Lances last year or is he racing next year too ? I think he may call it a day after this season.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    I wonder if SCA Promotions are instructing their lawyers this morning?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Radioshack and BMC will be finished by June, no? over a 100 jobs gone too if they do. Landis has the sport by the throat right now
    By that logic a lot of people would be jobless if heroin/slave/child abuse was removed.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    andyp wrote:
    Without hard evidence this will blow over within the week - there are too many vested interests that want stories like this to disappear.

Does Landis' training diaries count as evidence?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/n ... id=5203604

There will be a money trail too.

Maybe I'm too cynical - but when Frank Schleck can pay however many thousand euros to a gynaecologist proven to be a doping doctor for "training plans" and get away with hardly a mention then unless Landis has a signed picture of Lance Armstrong injecting himself with a syringe labelled DOPE I just can't see this going anywhere.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Dave_1 wrote:

Don't bloody bet on it... If he'd have left out the bit about the UCI then I'd give you decent odds on BMC... However, Pat has no interest in taking power away from himself.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    andyp wrote:
    Without hard evidence this will blow over within the week - there are too many vested interests that want stories like this to disappear.

Maybe I'm too cynical - but when Frank Schleck can pay however many thousand euros to a gynaecologist proven to be a doping doctor for "training plans" and get away with hardly a mention then unless Landis has a signed picture of Lance Armstrong injecting himself with a syringe labelled DOPE I just can't see this going anywhere.

if more people fess up it is damaging i guess but in the main I suspect you are right
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is Cadel Evans allowed to change teams mid Giro? He could use this to get support next week. :)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    By that logic a lot of people would be jobless if heroin/slave/child abuse was removed.

but many will ride clean and lose their jobs,,,isn't it unfair on them?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Are we going to assume that should Armstrong of doped before, he is still at it now?
    Of course he is. :roll:

armstrongblood2009.jpg
  • BikingBernie
    Kléber wrote:
    ...McQuaid is talking about an agenda and asking questions about Landis. He should be donning the white cape, be putting questions to other people - eg Bruyneel and Armstrong - and insisting on a full investigation.
    But instead he will try to run a damage limitation exercise because the UCI have been in Armstrong's pocket for years, or at the very least McQuaid and co. still believe that protecting Pharmstrong is 'in the interests of the sport'.
  • andyp
    What happens next depends on who the emails went to. If it's just USCF and UCI officials then they might try and keep a lid on it. If WADA are involved, and there's a suggestion they are, then it's a lot less easy to contain.

The trouble is, the emails are in the public domain now, so it's very difficult for McQuaid to brush it off as the ramblings of a bitter loser. The allegation that an Armstrong positive was covered up with collusion from the UCI is a very serious one and can't be ignored.
  • cougie
    All of this is past history though - who is to say that BMC and RS arent riding clean now ?

If you take them down - you could be throwing away clean riders ?

(and lets face it I havent seen any unbelievable rides by any of their squad yet)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kléber wrote:
    while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.
    Whoah!

Triple check. This is out bloody rageous. The UCI are totally corrupt - they really need to be taken down.

Thanks for the full text BS - very revealing. Those US riders have a HUGE amount of explaining to do. In fact none of them should be allowed to ride the Tour.

Lance is the biggest fraud in all sporting history. Forget Valverde's earnings, Lance's are on a whole other level.

Stay on them Landis. Destroy them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Those US riders have a HUGE amount of explaining to do
    Thank goodness it's just them then
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I just can't see how the doping problem can be fixed without bringing the whole of professional cycling down. The sponsors will either not want things exposed, or will simply run a mile. If they do the latter, hopefully it will pull the rug out from under the UCI leading to mass firings and an investigation. Perhaps then they can build a testing programme that isn't half-hearted crap. But the damage to the sport will be epic.

That said, I'm pretty certain virtually every sport has the same problem. Sport has become massive business, and when there's that much money involved people will cheat. If they don't, someone else will and they'll win instead.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:

if more people fess up it is damaging i guess but in the main I suspect you are right

Oreilly's diaries didn't help convict. It would need a paper/money trail, others to confess, blood bags, DNA, photos...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Not just the US riders shurely? Would think that anybody on either of those teams Tour squads has a few questions to be put to them.

The UCI element of this is the most explosive for me too, by the way.

Agree with the earlier comment too, the whole thing is just so seedy. anonymous flats in Belgium, a fridge hidden in a cupboard at Armstrongs house, transfusing on a bus in the middle of nowhere...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • BikingBernie
    He [Armstrong] also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

This stuff is dynamite and vindicates what many people have known/ argued for years. Let's hope it blows the whole corrupt 'sport' out of the water. I have a feeling that is the only thing that will allow cycle sport to rebuild itself.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Kléber wrote:
    while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.
    Whoah!

Triple check. This is out bloody rageous. The UCI are totally corrupt - they really need to be taken down.

Thanks for the full text BS - very revealing. Those US riders have a HUGE amount of explaining to do. In fact none of them should be allowed to ride the Tour.

Lance is the biggest fraud in all sporting history. Forget Valverde's earnings, Lance's are on a whole other level.

Stay on them Landis. Destroy them.

You do appreciate Contador is deeply involved in this as well, right? Lib Seg, Astana, Discovery, Astana - chances of him not being involved in Bruyneel's programme, if you were a gambling man with no vested interest what would you put the odds at?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

but many will ride clean and lose their jobs,,,isn't it unfair on them?

OTOH

in a way thats like letting the cheaters use the clean guys as human shields

Also if the lean guys know something and are not saying they are effectively tainted by collusion
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • BikingBernie
    AidanR wrote:
    I just can't see how the doping problem can be fixed without bringing the whole of professional cycling down. The sponsors will either not want things exposed, or will simply run a mile. If they do the latter, hopefully it will pull the rug out from under the UCI leading to mass firings and an investigation. Perhaps then they can build a testing programme that isn't half-hearted crap. But the damage to the sport will be epic.
    Agreed.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He [Armstrong] also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

This stuff is dynamite and vindicates what many people have known/ argued for years. Let's hope it blows the whole corrupt 'sport' out of the water. I have a feeling that is the only thing that will allow cycle sport to rebuild itself.
    It is dynamite but finding the proof is going to be hard. The UCI might keep records of who comes and goes into the building but would a meeting like this be minuted, footage of Bruyneel and Verbruggen meeting is not incriminating in itself. Unless the bank transfers can be checked and the lab that raised the positive is investigated, then forget it...
  • BikingBernie
    if the [c]lean guys know something and are not saying they are effectively tainted by collusion
    Quite so, and I have a feeling that the only way that this will really impact enough to change the sport is if all those bullied into silence by Armstrong in the past stand up to be counted as well.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I never thought I'd say this, but I actually feel for Flandis, poor sod.

I'd say it's a 20% chance at best this will lead anywhere in terms of really nailing anyone.

It seems to me you need the money trail, and that will require big international effort, and loads of lawyers and accountants, who'll be up for that?
  • andyp
    dougzz wrote:

I'd say it's a 20% chance at best this will lead anywhere in terms of really nailing anyone.

It seems to me you need the money trail, and that will require big international effort, and loads of lawyers and accountants, who'll be up for that?

Lawyers and accountants? :wink:
  • BikingBernie
    dougzz wrote:

Perhaps Landis could set up a fund. :wink:
  • ives.
    ives. Posts: 62
    I think this is bloody brilliant!!
    The best thing that has happened to the sport since I don't know when.
    Well done Floyd!
  • cougie
    The Verbruggen thing is the biggest bit of it for me - but it just doesnt sound credible.
    How many people would they have to buy off to keep a positive test out of the news ?

I cant see that the stuff we've seen so far will do much to the sport.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Perhaps Landis could set up a fund. :wink:

:twisted:
    You're evil BB ;)