2009 Marin Team Issue Race Redux (Page 16)

Comments

• pastey_boy wrote:
    if you can read, look back on this thread i have made many positive comments about this bike, so not the actions of a jealous man. and im not casting any doubts on his frame/bike, i as others have done am simply putting his claimed weight into perspective. if i put a pic of my speedo up on here claiming id hit 135mph on my bike im very sure i would be quickly corrected, but with your mentality i would instead get a few mates to to back me up thus giving me the impression im correct. if you makes claims that people do not agree with then it will always raise questions. this is not a bad thing. its human nature.

TBH you are wrong to question a internet god with over 11k of posts on here and a inability to use a maxle :shock: :shock: FLOL
    You trying to start something?

Nope not with a internet god/legend from north wales who has issues where no one else has with a maxle...
  • shieldsy94
    shieldsy94 Posts: 342
    ouch thats nice :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nope not with a internet god/legend from north wales who has issues where no one else has with a maxle...
    Would you care to offer any usefull solutions to the maxle issue then?
    You could even google for rear maxle problems, and let all the other people who have problems with it know your miraculous answer.
    Dick.
  • Nope not with a internet god/legend from north wales who has issues where no one else has with a maxle...
    Would you care to offer any usefull solutions to the maxle issue then?
    You could even google for rear maxle problems, and let all the other people who have problems with it know your miraculous answer.
    Dick.

Your the only poster who could start a argument on here with yourself i a padded room :roll: :roll:

So you are clearly stating in your posts about the maxle RS has designed the rear axle wrong? Maybe they would value your opinion if you contacted them :roll: :roll:
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    As no one else has asked, how heavy is the aforementioned maxle ?

(photo of the maxle on some scales to verify the said weight in order to prevent an embarrassing liar/not a liar type argument would be appreciated)
  • *AL* wrote:

(photo of the maxle on some scales to verify the said weight in order to prevent an embarrassing liar/not a liar type argument would be appreciated)

:lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

That wouldn't help, we need to see the parts on a scale, then a confirmed weight on the same scale, preferably a video, to ensure there's no tampering going on :-)
  • Just fitted some white ESI Racers Edge Grips... look way better than the blue (which was more purple) however I dont expect them to stay white for long ;)

img00094201009281458.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    They actually clean up really well mate. I just use some fairy and a j cloth and they look like new. Make sure to rinse it though, or it bubbles when it rains!
  • Tolk wrote:
    They actually clean up really well mate. I just use some fairy and a j cloth and they look like new. Make sure to rinse it though, or it bubbles when it rains!

Good to know actually.. they (and my troy lees) looked grubby straight out of the box.

Someone mentioned on here about isopropyl alcohol doing to trick too?

They were an absolute bastard to put on.
  • Tolk
    As they are made from silicone they don't tend to stain, just get a grime build up. I guess the iso-majig might work better on the troys though?
  • Tolk
    As for putting them on and taking them off, just run them under the tap (or pry one end if it's fixed and pour water down it) and they just slide right on or off. They take a few hours to 'set' in place, but once on they're solid. Simples!
  • Tolk wrote:
    As for putting them on and taking them off, just run them under the tap (or pry one end if it's fixed and pour water down it) and they just slide right on or off. They take a few hours to 'set' in place, but once on they're solid. Simples!

I opted for the GT85 method - contrary to popular belief (I think El Cap uses it too) they dont twist once set.......
  • Also toying with the idea of swapping all the carbon use stuff out for KCNC Scandium goodness ;)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    the white grips look lovely. may buy a set and cut them down for my gripshifts. do they feel solid with no danger of rotating ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    the white grips look lovely. may buy a set and cut them down for my gripshifts. do they feel solid with no danger of rotating ?

No, once they are on, they stay on. Had to cut the other ones off, they do cut nice and easily though with a sharp scalpel.....

Clee cycles... £15.99 (not cheap but will last)
  • pastey_boy
    i like clee cycles, they sell shiny coloured goodness and the bloke i spoke to on the phone was awesome. im gonna call my first born "cleetus"
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    i like clee cycles, they sell shiny coloured goodness and the bloke i spoke to on the phone was awesome. im gonna call my first born "cleetus"

Thinking of a blue KCNC seatpost, SC bone bars and SC Wing stem :D

I love Clee Cycles - awesome store!!!
  • Tolk wrote:

I opted for the GT85 method - contrary to popular belief (I think El Cap uses it too) they dont twist once set.......

Not for these ones - I've got a pair of black ones on the NRS - very nice grips, but as you say an absolute ba**ard to fit. I tried the old hairspray trick, but they wouldn't go on with them. I'd thought of the GT85 method, but I'd had issues with the Posh Bikes ones I have rotating once fitted. Instead, I used what was suggested on the packaging - glass cleaner (In this case, Wilko's car windscreen spray stuff). Worked a treat.
  • pastey_boy wrote:

Thinking of a blue KCNC seatpost, SC bone bars and SC Wing stem :D

I love Clee Cycles - awesome store!!!

+ KCNC!

Andy's been extremely helpful over the past few months (and is currently building my new wheels).

I have the KCNC seatpost in black, very nice, good quality. I've also got the bars (flat ones) and stem. My only issue with them was a bit of creaking when first fitted, but this was resolved by putting a smear of grease around the underside of the bolt heads and the joints between bar/stem and stem/steerer tube. If you haven't got one already, get a torque wrench for tightening up the bolts through - they look like they won't take too much abuse.
  • njee20
    Don't go for blue, it'll clash horribly with the painted frame. Just black!

Or go for New Ultimate, admittedly more expensive, but much nicer, more subtle! I've probably got a seatpost, depending on size, and I've got both carbon and alu flat bars which I can do a very good price on!

Like the ESI grips, tempted to get some myself.
  • I do like the KCNC scandium stuff, wont be for a while and I should be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the USE stuff, nothing wrong with it, just fancy a change!

njee - probably right about the blue, will go for black if I do go down that route!!!

I fancy some new wheels TBH, and they would be first on the list!
  • This thread has provided many lol's. I thank and congratulate all those who have been gracious enough to participate.

PS;, nice bike TBC.
  • njee20

What are you thinking of, something light ;-)
  • njee20 wrote:

What are you thinking of, something light ;-)

LOL - mine are pretty light - they are sub 1500..

XTR M975 of DTXR4.2ds with Sapim spokes... Iw ant something sub-£400 red, or white, or both ;)

Any thoughts on Fulcrum Red Metal 1? Cant stretch at the moment to Zeros....

May just use my XTR hubs and send them to merlin to get shod with some ZTR Oympics in white :)
  • pastey_boy
    if you build your xtr hubs into stans olympic rims using sapim cx-ray spokes and alloy nipples they will weigh 1420 grams. much cheaper than buying a set of superlights and you also have the super smooth long lasting xtr bearings.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    if you build your xtr hubs into stans olympic rims using sapim cx-ray spokes and alloy nipples they will weigh 1420 grams. much cheaper than buying a set of superlights and you also have the super smooth long lasting xtr bearings.

A phonecall to Merlins is on the cards...

The Hop Pro II / Olympic combo I purchased for the Teocali are pretty darn light too....!
  • pastey_boy
    not sure if merlin do sapim spokes, they use dt spokes though so a set built with dt revolutions will be basically the same weight as the sapim build
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... WHEELS.htm
    and
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... WHEELS.htm
    seeing as they build these 2 wheelsets themselves it might be worth pestering them to build the 240 hubs onto the white 4.2s with black evolutions, that would leave you with a silly light wheelset for not much money
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    I wouldn't bother with CX-Rays unless you wreck a lot of spokes, no stiffer than Revolutions, but vastly more expensive, and they wind up a good 'un once the nips have seized. I've used them on my last few sets of wheels, but wouldn't bother again.

£400 to spend on wheels? Reckon it'd be ZTR hubs on Alpines with Revs for my money. Saying that you can't argue with how smooth XTR bearings are, but I really wouldn't get DT rims personally; heavier, far more prone to dents, and not as easy to run tubeless as a NoTubes rim.

Push the budget a bit and get 240s on Alpines with Revs?
  • update.

Fancied a change so have just bought some white race edition DT Swiss 340 6 bolt hubs, black spokes and white XR4.2d rims......

For the minimal weight saving, and a fair bit on top I opted for these over the 240s.

Woop!!!