2009 Marin Team Issue Race Redux (Page 16)

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    update.

Fancied a change so have just bought some white race edition DT Swiss 340 6 bolt hubs, black spokes and white XR4.2d rims......

For the minimal weight saving, and a fair bit on top I opted for these over the 240s.

Woop!!!

but the hubs alone are 150g heavier than the xtr's :shock: thats alot of weight to add to a wheelset
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a strange choice for sure! Pimp admittedly.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    It's a strange choice for sure! Pimp admittedly.

oh definitly pimp, but strange, id have thought the wheels on the teocali would be lighter than these?
  • njee20
    Also surprised that you run Stan's rims on the Teocali and still bought another set of DTs, what's the thinking then TBC!?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    to my reckoning the white dt wheels from merlin weigh just over 1700grams, the stans rebuild on your xtr hubs would have been the best bet, although the dt,s will look awesome. your actually adding approx 100 grams over your existing wheels plus the dt wheels are only 24 spokes per wheel so your giving up a bit of strength for more weight
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • TBH.... I never had a problem with the DT rims, but looking at my bike it needed white/pimp rims. The bike is light enough, I am no racer so can afford to add a little weight.

On this occasion it was more about aesthetics than weight, putting the white rims on the Teocali prompted me to go for an all-white wheelset.

I don’t have the calculations to hand, but the new set adds 200gr on top of the XTR set. I can live with that to be honest, in fact it would be better for ME to lose weight than the bike!!! 
  • lawman
    pastey_boy wrote:
    to my reckoning the white dt wheels from merlin weigh just over 1700grams, the stans rebuild on your xtr hubs would have been the best bet, although the dt,s will look awesome. your actually adding approx 100 grams over your existing wheels plus the dt wheels are only 24 spokes per wheel so your giving up a bit of strength for more weight

a mate of mine has the same wheels as TBC has on his tocali and they come out around 1600g, with 32 spokes, didnt realise the dt's were only 24 :shock:
  • pastey_boy
    these will probably be my next wheels but the black ones with red hubs
    they would pimp the marin nicely
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.American%20Clas ... gn=froogle
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Small bearings in the AM Classics, so the durability's not brilliant.

I reckon these look like the ones to have, bet they'll be cheaper than AMCs and they look to have bigger bearings, whilst only being about 15g heavier.

Although these also look good, should be sub-£1000 and 1200g for the pair, if you want something very light but still usable.
  • pastey_boy
    i dont mind the bearings in american classics as they are very cheap and easy to replace. as for carbon rimmed wheels im gonna give it a bit before i take the plunge as i weigh a fair bit and at the mo they dont have a track record, the easton carbon havens could be the wheel for me but lots of new stuff coming out
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Not sure, there's been enough out there for the reliability to be sorted, Reynolds have had the Topos out for years, obviously worked out where they can skim off material. Very tempted by a set for next year, have to see what the trade price is like!
  • pastey_boy
    njee20 wrote:
    Not sure, there's been enough out there for the reliability to be sorted, Reynolds have had the Topos out for years, obviously worked out where they can skim off material. Very tempted by a set for next year, have to see what the trade price is like!
    i know reynolds and a few others have had their carbon wheels out for a while but im 18 stone and ride quite hard so im looking at the slightly more hardcore set such as the havens and the syncros free ridey types. ive had a carbon seatpost snap on me in a bad way and that moment is always in my thoughts when using carbon components. i basically want an all mountain wheelset at an xc weight, i have the roval traversees at the moment which are light but ive had to rebuild the rear with brass nipples and im going to do the front for peace of mind. if the trade price of the carbon havens is ok i may take the plunge
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Ah yes ok, you've got 8 stone on me :-)

The Rovals do seem particularly bad, I've got Controle SLs, and the alu nips are very prone to seizing, I've broken a couple too.
  • pastey_boy
    only thing that concerns me with these new carbon rims is the damage that could be caused by hitting a rock with a deflated tyre. you would ding an alu rim but could potentially crack or splinter the carbon version thus writing off a £500 rim
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The SC sydnicate have been running the edge ones and haven't reported any broken ones...

Admittedly they're rather good, but for am i'm sure they'd be fine. My issue is that they don't seem a lot lighter for the money.
  • njee20
    Agree with you on the weight, which is where the the Reynolds ones are interesting, along with the new carbon Rovals, AX Lightness, Innolite XCC250s etc, the weights are really starting to fall. The original carbon MTB wheels (ie Reynolds Topos and ENVE/Edge) were deeper section and heavier, it seems now they're starting to trim away the rim weight to get to some much more impressive weights. A rim that weighs the same as a ZTR Podium but without a 35psi pressure limit, a 70kg rider limit as is stiffer sounds spot on to me!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    edited February 2011
    New rubber turned up today (for Bedgers the weekend).. providing its not sopping wet :lol:

Maxxis Larssen TT EXC 2.0 60a...

Very light but look very skinny for a 2.0....

img00101201010051945.jpg

Now just waiting for rim tape to turn up from CRC then on Friday my new DT Swiss hoops turn up :D

Then the weekend some Ti brake hardware shall be ordered for calipers/mounts levers :)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    The SC sydnicate have been running the edge ones and haven't reported any broken ones...

Admittedly they're rather good, but for am i'm sure they'd be fine. My issue is that they don't seem a lot lighter for the money.
    +1. syndicate said they have had no problems with teh wheels at all
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    seems a funny time of year to get some tyres like those
  • seems a funny time of year to get some tyres like those

Got a spare set of Nevegals if it gets bad, but to be honest I dont go out when its sloppy and wet as I cannot be arsed washing the bike for 4 hours..... ;)
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Any reason you went for them over the Crossmarks?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Then the weekend some Ti brake hardware shall be ordered for calipers/mounts levers :)

So you add 200g on with new wheels, then you spend more money on Ti stuff to make it lighter :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter wrote:

So you add 200g on with new wheels, then you spend more money on Ti stuff to make it lighter :roll:

100g in fact ;)

Ti = not to make it lighter, but the fact that steel is for rusty gypos..... :lol:
  • Andy wrote:
    Any reason you went for them over the Crossmarks?

Not really, just always fancied a go on them ;)

Next day tyres, the pair, with next day shipping only cost me £47...

Plus I have now had 3x sets of RRs and just wanted something different... ;)
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I rode to bedgers today TBC, it's sloppy! Loads of puddles, which isn't too bad in itself, but the sand in them ate my new pads! Linked it with bewl water, which was also a slop fest!
  • Tolk wrote:
    I rode to bedgers today TBC, it's sloppy! Loads of puddles, which isn't too bad in itself, but the sand in them ate my new pads! Linked it with bewl water, which was also a slop fest!

Looks like the nevegals will be going on then, looks like its a defo.... however, my mate has the transport and let's say he's 'unreliable' :(
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    If you don't mind a tag along, give me a shout!
  • Tolk wrote:
    If you don't mind a tag along, give me a shout!

Of course I will, the more the merrier!!! :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i'll come too and not break my arm. :D
  • i'll come too and not break my arm. :D

Have you broke your arm!?!?! :shock: