2009 Marin Team Issue Race Redux (Page 16)

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    For how much money? :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And if you'd not changed the wheels you'd be £400 better off and it'd be 150g lighter still! :-)

DT 190s are vastly overpriced anyway, you did well to not splash out there, 240s with aftermarket ceramic bearings is vastly more sensible, or those new Stans 30.3 hubs.
  • Andy wrote:
    For how much money? :wink:

£200 wheels (sale)
    Tyres (nothing as I sold my RRs)
    £24 tubes
    £35 Ti and alu bolts

£259

BUT and this is important, I got some pimp white wheels which I always wanted, decent tyres and got rid of anything steel (apart from the chain etc) that was on the bike.

I could spend that out on the lash in one day (it has been done)

I can live with a paltry 100+g on the wheels... Im hardly Julian Absalon

:P
  • Andy
    njee20 wrote:
    And if you'd not changed the wheels you'd be £400 better off and it'd be 150g lighter still! :-)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i thought you said the wheels had dt revolution spokes ? if so they would have cost more than the stated £200 as the merlin offer only includes dt swiss comp spokes, and if they are built with dt comps they will weigh over 1700g,s
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    i thought you said the wheels had dt revolution spokes ? if so they would have cost more than the stated £200 as the merlin offer only includes dt swiss comp spokes, and if they are built with dt comps they will weigh over 1700g,s

Revolution spokes...... but I still only paid £200... ;)

And stop trying to be argumentative, I know what they weigh, and TBH I cannot be arsed to get drawn into this anymore. The Big Cheese has spoken.

The bike is still fucking light.. let it go. I have no reason to lie, if I want to, Ill go and by a £1k set of wheels, I can afford it but have other commitments in life, and this is still one of the lightest HTs on here.......

Go to the DT Swiss webby:

Add them all together...

and once more, they are 24h wheels NOT 32.....
  • Andy
    if I want to, Ill go and by a £1k set of wheels, I can afford it

No you can't.
  • can too!
  • Andy
    Bet you can't read PMs though...
  • Andy wrote:

mine has more torque ;)

And I only use the 'Goose when it's icy.
  • Andy
    You gonna make the Marin lightweight any time in the future?
  • Andy wrote:
    You gonna make the Marin lightweight any time in the future?

Meh... maybe, maybe not ;)
  • njee20
    Must be down to about 21lbs now I reckon!
  • :lol:
  • Andy wrote:

mine has more torque ;)

And I only use the 'Goose when it's icy.

Did someone say Goose? :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • Andy
    No.
  • Latest shiny shiny to arrive:

Ti rotor bolts x12

img00105201010111848.jpg

KCNC lockring for the XTR cassette... only 5g

img00106201010111848.jpg

Tomorrow my shipment from TastyNuts will be here (Ti hardware for the brake calipers / Red Ano Alloy bolts for the shifters on the Marin and shifters and brakes on the Goose)

Still waiting on my wheels from Merlin, had an email to say they have been delayed, they are handbuilt jobbies not 'off the shelf' so they had a problem there but by the end of the week the bike should be finished.
  • njee20
    They custom build the 24h wheels? Really? Wonder where they're getting the parts from, no one imports the rims or hubs!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    edited October 2010
    njee20 wrote:
    They custom build the 24h wheels? Really? Where are they getting the parts from then?

Yes. Really.

Why don't you email them and ask them?

They are not 'off the shelf' wheels. That was what Merlin told me when I ordered them and asked for Revolutions instead of Comp spokes.

Even if they were then the parts would have to be from somewhere.. and that's where I'm guessing that's where Merlin would source them from too.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Whenever I click on this thread I think i've accidentally stumbled into the roadie section, all this talk of grammes here and grammes there...
  • njee20
    Bah, didn't edit it in time, to make it seem a little less hostile!

DT make the parts, but Madison don't distribute them, it's interesting to know, I wonder if Merlin will actually sell you a 24h rim. If you buy a 24h wheelset from any other dealer in the country they're factory built by DT.
  • D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Whenever I click on this thread I think i've accidentally stumbled into the roadie section, all this talk of grammes here and grammes there...

Ha Ha.

Im not that fussed as some people would think, it's all the fun of the fayre. All I know is I ride hell-for-leather on whatever bike I am on. ;)
  • njee20
    As demonstrated by the fact you've made spent money on bling wheels which achieve nothing else but make the bike heavier :-)
  • njee20 wrote:
    Bah, didn't edit it in time, to make it seem a little less hostile!

DT make the parts, but Madison don't distribute them, it's interesting to know, I wonder if Merlin will actually sell you a 24h rim. If you buy a 24h wheelset from any other dealer in the country they're factory built by DT.

All I know is what Merlin told me njee. I phoned them last Thursday to ensure that they would be delivered last Friday (all wheels I have ordered from them have taken exactly one week). They said there was a problem with the wheel builder and they wouldnt 'have them back' until Tuesday/Wednesday)

I thought they build them onsite?

I then noticed that the wheels were not on the website anymore. So phoned them again stating that 'there had better not be a problem as I have sold my XTRs for these) and was assured that there wasnt and they would be back Tuesday/Wednesday of this week.

I'm going to demand an upgrade to 240s if they feck me around :lol:
  • njee20
    No, I believe you, I'm saying it's interesting to know, as I've known various people struggle after dinging a 24h rim, but it looks like Merlin may be a source.
  • Ti Stuff just arrived (shall be fitted tonight and pics to follow)

But more importantly...

WHEELS DISPATCHED FROM MERLINS! Here tomorrow!!! 8)
  • Ti hardware fitted on front and rear calipers:

img00110201010121925.jpg

img00107201010121924.jpg

And shiny new red stem bolt.

The Red bolts didnt fit the X0 shifters, but as the existing ones are Ti anyway am going to leave them...

img00111201010121925.jpg

New wheels turn up tomorrow... woot!!!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Looking nice. Very, very nice.
  • njee20
    Surprised you've not got the red ano shifters!
  • El Cap - cheers - just need to get some Ti hardware for the front mech (band clamp bolt and cable clamp bolt [m5 x 17mm / M5 x 9mm] then that's it. Forgot all about the front mech. The XO hardware is Ti, so are the brakes...... I was going to go for Ti adjuster screws for the FD, but that's taking it too far... or is it :? :lol:

njee20 - Got the 'original' X0 for a lot less than the ano red, wasn't worth the extra in my eyes, plus it would probably wear off which would be a terrible thing... :lol:

I know I have spent a lot of monies on this, and due to me paying a weight penalty on the wheels I wanted, I had to lose some weight elsewhere, which I have more than done. So she will actually be lighter than she was pre-change*. 8)

* Seriously, I'm not that bothered, just like the responses I get... massive LOLZ innit.