2009 Marin Team Issue Race Redux (Page 16)

167891012»

Comments

• Hey Big Cheese,

Looking good :)

How's the wheelset working out for you? Is your KMC chain a new one or is it still the first one you bought? I'm asking cause my KMC chain snapped awhile back(first time this happen) so I'm abit worried about using them again. Plus why does yours looks so clean and shinny :)?
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Like the red ferrules, where did you get them from?

Ebay - only £1 for ten ;)

Same price as the naked ones in Halfrauds! :shock:

*logs onto Ebay*
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm asking cause my KMC chain snapped awhile back(first time this happen) so I'm abit worried about using them again.

I've snapped a couple, found once they wore they tend to just break, whilst SRAM/Shimano just keep going forever in an increasingly rattly state!
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    njee20 wrote:
    I'm asking cause my KMC chain snapped awhile back(first time this happen) so I'm abit worried about using them again.

I've snapped a couple, found once they wore they tend to just break, whilst SRAM/Shimano just keep going forever in an increasingly rattly state!

Are the KMC chains hollow-pin? I've snapped the SRAM ones in the past with the hollow-pins. Not used Shimano ones for a number of years now after a spate of snaps where you used to have to carry around those fiddly spare pins with the snap off part - not sure if they still use those.
  • njee20
    Yes they are hollow pin, never noticed a correlation between hollow pin and snapping though, been using SRAM PC1080s on my road bikes for years without breaking them, broke more normal ones.

Shimano do still use joining pins, they did try some quick links, but they were crap, so they reverted to pins, nowt to stop you using a Power Link or any other quick link in a Shimano chain though.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Yes they are hollow pin, never noticed a correlation between hollow pin and snapping though, been using SRAM PC1080s on my road bikes for years without breaking them, broke more normal ones.

Shimano do still use joining pins, they did try some quick links, but they were crap, so they reverted to pins, nowt to stop you using a Power Link or any other quick link in a Shimano chain though.

Indeed, I'm using a power link on my shimano chain at the moment. I prefer KMC chains, they seem to last longer for me than SRAM or Shimano ones, but the XT chain I'm using now was free so it may as well be used.
  • njee20 wrote:

Are the KMC chains hollow-pin? I've snapped the SRAM ones in the past with the hollow-pins. Not used Shimano ones for a number of years now after a spate of snaps where you used to have to carry around those fiddly spare pins with the snap off part - not sure if they still use those.

I'm using SRAM PC-1091R chains after the scary moment I had with my KMC X10SL chain. I'm sure it was a one off that the KMC chain broke. I know alot use of people using them with zero problems. They thing I found is that KMC XSL chains works well only if you keep them really clean and well lubed. I am very happy with SRAM chain now although its wee bit heavier but my drive train seems alot smoother and quieter on the Flash.
    I'm trying out a Wipperman chain ( heard a ton of good things) on my Scalpel. So far so good. Very very good shifting.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose wrote:
    Hey Big Cheese,

Looking good :)

How's the wheelset working out for you? Is your KMC chain a new one or is it still the first one you bought? I'm asking cause my KMC chain snapped awhile back(first time this happen) so I'm abit worried about using them again. Plus why does yours looks so clean and shinny :)?

Still my first one, as is the *joke* on here my bikes don't get ridden that much, the Marin has never seen mud and is meticulously cleaned when I get back, its seen some dry/dusty trails and thats it, the chain has been fine ;)

The wheelset is OK, as before its 160g heavier than my last but pick up feels better and they feel a lot smoother than the XTR/DT combo..... Im happy with them and I got them uber cheap...

They are actually classed as DT Swiss XCR 1.5 race edition, which is based on a 340 hub and 4.2d rims, I think they are OEM that come on higher end Cannondales.... after some google searching (and not high-end ike yours but around the 2-3k bracket bikes...
  • First time I've seen this beast and its a beaut, lovely bike and worthy pimping. Who cares about a tiny weight gain on the wheels when they look so good. The nice ti bits easily make up for it anyway. :D
  • Absolutely stunning! That's gotta be the nicest set up cockpit i've seen in a while!
  • njee20
    Why don't you put the upgraded star ratchets in them? 10g saved, and pick up is twice as fast.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Why don't you put the upgraded star ratchets in them? 10g saved, and pick up is twice as fast.

Got a linky Njee?
  • These are the ones he's talking about

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accesso ... -hubs.aspx

Available from here:

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_in ... =googlepbs

for under £40.

Very worthwhile upgrade imho. Don't know about the weight saving, but pickup goes from very quick, to damned near instant!

Got one on my EX1750s.
  • These are the ones he's talking about

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accesso ... -hubs.aspx

Available from here:

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_in ... =googlepbs

for under £40.

Very worthwhile upgrade imho. Don't know about the weight saving, but pickup goes from very quick, to damned near instant!

Got one on my EX1750s.

Sweet... easy to fit?
  • Feck yeah!

You literally just remove the wheel, hold the hub in one hand, pull the cassette with the other (hard) and it slides out. Once it's out, you can see the 2 old ratchets. Just tip them out and drop in the new ones. No tools needed.

I tell you what, I'm NEVER buying any hubs other than DT in the future. 8)
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    I upgraded mine and saved about 9 grams. I think some people on mtbr were having problems with the 36t breaking but I have had not problems so far.

36t:

dtswissxrc1250wheels18r.jpg

18t:

dtswissxrc1250wheels19r.jpg
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I tell you what, I'm NEVER buying any hubs other than DT in the future. 8)

I bought that ratchet upgrade from America when they 1st came out 8) It's a great upgrade.

As for DT hubs, I know what you mean as I snapped up another set of 240s for my other MTB after using them. I love the subtle sound they make & the great ratchet design, they are well under rated hubs.
  • njee20
    Agreed, although I wasnt that impressed with the 190s we've had, poor bearing life and just silly money for little difference. A replacement freehub body is about £250!

Not got around to doing the star ratchet upgrade, but I'm probably selling my Rovals and getting sommat different next year, and I hardly use my 240 rear on the road bike, always using the PowerTap, only heard good things though.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    edited October 2010
    Just found out you can actually get the ratchet upgrade off ebay from the states for about £24 posted.

Not sure how long they'd take to arrive, but the shop looks legit. Worth the saving if you're not in a rush I guess.

Linky
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    njee20 wrote:
    Agreed, although I wasnt that impressed with the 190s we've had, poor bearing life and just silly money for little difference. A replacement freehub body is about £250!

Not got around to doing the star ratchet upgrade, but I'm probably selling my Rovals and getting sommat different next year, and I hardly use my 240 rear on the road bike, always using the PowerTap, only heard good things though.

Weird, my 190 hubs have been faultless.
  • Andy wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Weird, my 190 hubs have been faultless.

Me too. No problems with both on mine. The one on my Scalpel takes alot of abuse and I haven't had any problems. Any DT Swiss hubs are great....IMHO :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    Well it wasn't me using them, so I don't know exactly what was being done to them, but they didn't last, and the price for spares is obscene, not even the most expensive ceramic bearings are that expensive.

No 6 bolt option either, which rather undoes the weight advantage!

240s are brilliant though!
  • Now up for sale. :(

£1600 ono delivered
  • njee20
    I'm tempted to buy it, weigh it, then fabricate an excuse to send it back :-D

Why's she going?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    WHY?!?!? it's such a gorgeouse beauty of a bike.... I could never bring myself to sell it!

In the last month the two nicest bikes on the forum have been sold!!!! :cry:

(CWNT's MMMBop and your marin)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Current contract is coming to an end, and nothing lined up for the forseeable future :(

I'm not giving up, just need to free up some cash, and the 2 MTBs can go. I have a bad back and cannot offroad for a few weeks/months but I can still get out on the roadie/on tarmac..

Shame I know.. :(

Also dropped price to £1500 to sell... ;)