New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• StokolaN wrote:
    I Just recieved mine this morning but they dont seem to fit the rear of my bike :cry: I'm riding a Dolan Mythos with Mavic Kysrium wheels and 700x23 Continental GP4000 tires. There is just not enough room for them to fit between the tire and the frame.

My experience with GP4000S 23c is that they have the same circumference as an average 25c tyre. Probably due to the vectran layer.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wet stuff coming down from the sky in Brizzle, what was it? Anyhow, wet roads but dry bum and dryish feet.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Still hasn't rained in Wales since I fitted them
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Still hasn't rained in Wales since I fitted them

:shock:

They be the Devil's work, I tell thee!!
    us0.png
  • I know im in the minority of one here but ive took mine off dont get me wrong they were effective but I just didnt like the looks. The rear one is totally unmolested but the front one had to be modified a little so only goes as far as the brake where it had to be trimmed as there was insufficient clearance for it to go under (between the brake and the tyre)on my giant fcr. So if you know anyone who wants one complete and one modified (shortened) Pm me for a bargain.

When I fitted new gutters to my house in April, we had six completely dry weeks after. In Scotland! I really wanted to find out if they worked.

This may be my fault again. :oops:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I have 23mm rubino pros on my Bianchi via nirone and found them to be a really tight fit under the brakes. However I am now coming to the conclusion that this is due to the design of the campag calipers, and calipers with more clearance under them would allow me to have plenty of clearance for some 25mm tyres.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    Excellent customer service from Mr Crud.

Emailled on Monday lunchtime to request a new front tailpiece.
    Mr Crud emailled back about 20 mins later asking for my address, to which I responded almost instantly.
    Walked through the door last night (Tues) to find said tailpiece sat on the doormat.

New part is now fitted and very-finger-tight.

Thankyou Mr Crud.
  • Ok all first post on here

Got my Mr Cruds today, they are the product I've been seeking,for a number of years... brilliant !

Trouble I'm having fitting them to my Kinesis Racelight is they are too tight front and back and the tyres are rubbing. I'm running 23mm Michelin Pro Race 2 which seem quite a high profile. I'd reckon with a lower profile tyre these would fit ...

Any have any advice/experience on which tyres might run a lower profile than the Pro Race 2s?. The bike is only now my winter bike so a cheaper tyre will do.

When I fitted new gutters to my house in April, we had six completely dry weeks after. In Scotland! I really wanted to find out if they worked.

This may be my fault again. :oops:

Getting new gutters fitted soon, so hopefully will be no rain for next 6 weeks!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Getting new gutters fitted soon, so hopefully will be no rain for next 6 weeks!!

I live in the East and it was very unusual. I reckon if you're rain free in the West for six hours it'll be the same ;)
  • Tim Sluman wrote:
    Ok all first post on here

Got my Mr Cruds today, they are the product I've been seeking,for a number of years... brilliant !

Trouble I'm having fitting them to my Kinesis Racelight is they are too tight front and back and the tyres are rubbing. I'm running 23mm Michelin Pro Race 2 which seem quite a high profile. I'd reckon with a lower profile tyre these would fit ...

Any have any advice/experience on which tyres might run a lower profile than the Pro Race 2s?. The bike is only now my winter bike so a cheaper tyre will do.

Hi Tim, welcome.

Not got any experience with lower profile tyres, but just check you've not tightened the cableties too much before changing anything else...if it's too tight it deforms the guard and causes rubbing.
    us0.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    forgotrafe wrote:
    I run 25mm Rubino Pros with Tektra brakes and they fit fine.

So do I (25mm Rubinos and Tektro calipers), and I bet your clearance is huge.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redvee
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Hi all

Am I right in thinking these mudguards are only happy with 23mm tyres or are any of you finding them fine with 25mm please?!

Running Conti Ultra Gatorskins in 25 with V brakes, huuge clearances and no rubbing. Now no guard on the front as I caught my foot on it tonight :(:(:( and broke it.

The damage

dsc030z.th.jpgdsc033.th.jpg
  • Running Conti Ultra Gatorskins in 25 with V brakes, huuge clearances and no rubbing. Now no guard on the front as I caught my foot on it tonight Sad Sad Sad and broke it.

Send it back to Alison at Sensible Products, Unit1 Liverton Mines, Loftus, Cleveland TS13 4QZ, we will post a replacement by return.
  • redvee
    mr.crud wrote:
    Running Conti Ultra Gatorskins in 25 with V brakes, huuge clearances and no rubbing. Now no guard on the front as I caught my foot on it tonight Sad Sad Sad and broke it.

Send it back to Alison at Sensible Products, Unit1 Liverton Mines, Loftus, Cleveland TS13 4QZ, we will post a replacement by return.

Cheers Pete, the same message was sent on the crud website too.
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    Tim Sluman wrote:
    Ok all first post on here

Hi Tim, welcome.

Not got any experience with lower profile tyres, but just check you've not tightened the cableties too much before changing anything else...if it's too tight it deforms the guard and causes rubbing.

Thanks, that solution solved the problem with the front but the rear is just too close a fit under the frame, but I guess i can just cut the rear one off under the brake caliper where it abuts the frame.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Hi All,

I'm glad I instigated this thread - it's a great read!

I had the pleasure of receiving a set to test for Mr Crud and should have really posted earlier, but have been a bit busy with other things (having a fight with a tyre wall in my track car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4e8HF5fnFE).

Anyway, mine have been absolutely brilliant.

I bought my 1st road bike a few months ago (for summer commuting) but now it will be used all year round and I have even sold my Sub 30 work horse as I won't be needing it any longer.

There was inital slight noise from the guards, but much less than others I have used and now they are virtually silent.

They were very easy to fit and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

Small things like the easy break plastic tags holding the card together and slightly bigger paper on the sticky bushes so you can peel it off easily really make these guards stand out both from other guards and attention to detail.

I have ridden approximately 300 miles with them on and standing water and rain is kept at bay just as well as the full SKS's fitted to my Sub30 which were a) more expensive and b) noisy/creaky.

I even managed to pick up a stick vertically which totalled the back guard without breaking the stays. After a quick email to Mr Crud, a new guard arrived within a couple of days.

Crud really have got their sh*t together when it comes to customer service and that's something that makes all the difference these days.

Not much more I can add which others haven't said already so another +1 for an exceptional product with some real design and thought behind it.

Well done Mr Crud and all involved.

Pat...

Front%20(Small).jpg
    Front%202%20(Small).jpg
    Front%20Bushes%20(Small).jpg
    Rear%20(Small).jpg
    Rear%202%20(Small).jpg
    Rear%203%20(Small).jpg
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • In stock now in the USA. $44.99. www.crudusa.com. Pete
  • redvee
    My replacement front guard arrived in my hands today.

Many Thanks Pete.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Hi Mr Crud USA,

I'd be temted to show a link to Mr Crud UK's videos.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    One thing that i dont think has been metioned yet is the excellent support that we've had from Mr. Crud and co.
    How many companies are happy to send replacement parts out when they've been broken or lost possibly through no fault of the actual product.

Nice one Mr Crud.
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    syncro wrote:
    One thing that i dont think has been metioned yet is the excellent support that we've had from Mr. Crud and co.
    How many companies are happy to send replacement parts out when they've been broken or lost possibly through no fault of the actual product.

Nice one Mr Crud.

+1
    Excellent customer service.
  • syncro wrote:

Nice one Mr Crud.

Shows it a company run by real people and not bean counters. After customer service like that you will be more than willing to try their products again. And others read this and think, "I'll get some of those too!" Just like I will be doing next month...
    Fair play Mr C! And long live the DCD, I might put my purple one on my commute bike, if I can stand the noise!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • After a couple of weeks, here are my views.

They were easy enought to fit, did it in my lunch break.
    They look good.
    They will definitely allow me to use the good bike for a little longer before the onset of 'real' Scottish winter.

On the downside, I cannot seem to get the front guard rattle-free. I am using Campag brakes, which seem to have a really narrow clearance. If the zip tie is looser, the guard rattles against the brake bridge. If it is tighter, the guard distorts a bit and touches the tyre at the front. A minor grumble I admit.

Also, despite my best efforts at vigilance and tightening pre-ride, I lost a bolt off the rear stay on the way home one night. Had to go back to the office and fix using an elastic band! E-mailed Pete and got an almost immediate response, followed by a pair of replacement bolts in the post. As above, excellent customer service. Pete also suggested a bit of padding (bar tape?) between the front guard and the front section before tightening the bolt to maybe lift it away from the wheel. Yet to try this.

So, all in all, I think this is a product to be commended for its inginuity and excellent customer service. I will continue to use them as long as the winter will allow and congratulate Pete and team on the launch. Well done.

Col.
  • Advice please: I can't get mine to fit without the front section rubbing as it seems too close to the tyre.
    Specialized Allez Comp, Spec. Mondo tyres and no-name dual pivot brakes.

Would a tyre with a lower profile help?
  • mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    Hi muchalls

Try running the cabletie just tight enough to lightly rest 'guard against the brake-fork area.
    Slight overtightening of the cabletie will distort the 'guard.
    Failing that, take off the frontpiece, and place some small piece of padding in front of the screwhole to lift the nose. Replace and tighten

Just happened to be on-line, hope this helps
    Cheers
    Mr CRUD
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    Another very happy customer. These are brilliant - thank you Mr Crud - and very reasonably priced it must be said.
  • It appears that it's going to p!ss down next week, roadracers to be fitted this weekend then!
    Red/white Felt F75 '09
    Cannon St-Charlton.