New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    pastryboy wrote:
    I had a look at the review posted and it said that the rear guard attaches to the brake bolt. Will these work on a cyclocross bike with cantilever brakes?

In a way, yes. I've got a set and in the process of fitting them to my Tricross Single now shod with 25 Conti tyres. I've got rid of the cable tie mounting to the brake bolt and have made that point into a hole for a bolt to mount and using an I/O blanking plate from a PC case as a bracket with a slot on the vertical face and a hole on the horizontal face. Haven't yet fitted them fully as I haven't got a drill at home. As soon as I have though I'll post some pics up forall to see with a similar dilema to myself.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Surely you CXers and Cantilever-brakers have enough clearance between tyre and frame/forks to fit normal guards ?

The Cruds are great for close-clearance road bikes, with no provision for mudguards, but on a bike with greater clearance and mudguard eyelets I'd probably still go with SKS Chromoplastics.....
    Misguided Idealist
  • redvee
    Got the brackets sorted for the front and fitted tonight. Still need to cut the bracket down when happy with it all.

General pic of the guards on the bike.

10092009h.th.jpg

Showing the full length of the bracket

10092009002.th.jpg

The bolt mounted through the front tip hole.

10092009003.th.jpg

Bought some M4 stainless bolts & Nyloc nuts. Will use them on the fork mounts and bracket mounts, will need to give the brackets a blast with some black paint I think, just to add to the stealth look to the guards. The rear bracket is goingto be the same just shorter.
  • Nice job with the computer parts for a bracket. Nice and creative and what the heck do you do with those computer parts anyway. Post up after a nice muddy test ride.

Pete, Crud USA
    www.crudusa.com
  • redvee
    They were used as they are light and easily worked with the few tools I've got at home. They were mark 4 bracket as the various plastic attempts were too flexible. Got the I/O plates from a local computer shop.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Has anyone else noticed that since we all fitted our Crud Roadracers, the weather has been superb...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Massimo wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that since we all fitted our Crud Roadracers, the weather has been superb...

Yes! Bad show Mr. Crud for not releasing them earlier in the summer. :lol:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I fitted mine last weekend and on the whole have been very happy with them. Good fit and no sign of any rubbing. The only negative was when I was riding yesterday and there was a strange noise. When I got to work I realised that the bit of the rear mudguard that you attach to the back end had come off. Not quite sure how it happened as I have been regularly checking that everything was tight. In this case I was lucky in that I rode back and found the bit of plastic and no-one had driven over it. Even more lucky, I actually managed to locate the tiny nut and bolt as well. For a while though I was wishing that the original packaging had included some spares.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    As others have said, this is actually quite exciting - like being there when, say, the first Q/R skewer was marketed.

My first thought was, calm down guys, I'm not going to start doing my wet weather commuting or training rides on Best Bike just because I can now get sexy guards for it. I'll stick with Winter Hack and its full guards, because a true Bike Tart doesn't want Best Bike's gleaming drivetrain to be exposed to any more of that nasty salty gritty oily muckiness than is absolutely necessary.

But then I thought back to the sportive I did this "summer" where it rained the whole way round. Obviously only Best Bike could be used for that - with one of those ugly little seatpost guards on the back. It was actually distressing fitting it ; fellow Tarts, you know exactly what I mean. If only these guards had been around then, I would have fitted them...and so would a lot of the other Tarts doing it.

So I've ordered some...like every other Tart is going to. Mr Crud, you are going to make MILLIONS.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Mr Crud - Thank you for the new set, received this morning. Very grateful!
  • spasypaddy
    just a thought, does fitting these decrease FCN?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I'm sad, got mine today in the post. The front fits perfectly, but there's not enough clearance at the back to get it between the tyre and frame. Still, there wasn't 4mm at either end so I'm glad one fitted!

Can you buy just a rear race blade does anyone know?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Picked my set up yesterday. Weather can't last like this forever can it?
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Couldn't be arsed fitting them to my carbon bike in the end, so I fitted them to my commuter.

They're OK on my commuter. They'd just be too annoying on carbon bike though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I've got a 70 mile charity ride to do around the Isle of Wight next weekend so I figures .."of course it will rain so I'd better get some mudguards ready". So sods law will dictate the weather will bright n sunny as I spent money on them and new wet weather jacket :D
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    Finally got chance to test out my set of Road Racer mudguards this morning. Found fitting them quite straight forward, no problems. Out on the road very pleased with them. No rubbing issues, the pile strips are a great idea, do a great job of holding them in place. I did get an occasional chirp from the back one when i hit bumps in the road but i sort of expected that because i'm running 25mm tyres, but its so infrequent that its no problem. In fact i soon forgot i'd fitted them at all! All round very pleased. Not even sure if i'm gonna take them off as i think they look good too.
    On my ride i also found out how good the Pile strips idea really is. After 20 miles i heard a loud twang from the back wheel. A broken spoke!!!
    So after fastening it out of the way i thought it best to head back home (not sure if its a good idea to ride far like this) and even with the wheel wobbling a bit the pile strips did a great job of stopping any rubbing, they simply moved the guard with the wheel.
    Nice one Mr. Crud, all round a top bit of kit. :D
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    pangolin wrote:
    I'm sad, got mine today in the post. The front fits perfectly, but there's not enough clearance at the back to get it between the tyre and frame. Still, there wasn't 4mm at either end so I'm glad one fitted!

Can you buy just a rear race blade does anyone know?

Yay, have managed to fit the rear one. Like I said it wouldn't fit between the frame at the rear so I had to cut it. I cut it off just after where the cable tie attaches so it still protects the brake. Rode about 15 miles so far and it's brilliant, no rubbing at all.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I used them on my London 2 Paris ride over the last few days: 340 miles of trouble free riding!
    French cobble stone paths were never a problem, and they did not affect my maximum speeds and sustained speeds (around 25mph average when in a train of four riders).
    Score: 10 out of 10. Superb!
    After being dubbed "Speed Daemon" by my fellow riders, I think mr. Crud is going to get a few more orders in. And so will probably Wiggle after seeing the Kiron Scandium go up hills nearly as fast as a Litespeed Titanium...
  • I've been using the race guards for a week or so. I had to remove the nose extension on the front guard after a few minutes of riding as it rattled like hell and made a terrible noise. Once removed all was good though. They're nice and quiet when riding on londons potholed roads, unlike my race blades which rattled a fair bit and had to be repositioned from time to time. However today on my ride home the tail end of the front guard fell off (without me notincing I might add) some where along the way. :-( Thought I'd tightened all the little nuts up pretty well. Obviuosly not tight enough. I'll hopefully be able to get a replacement from Mr Crud with any luck.
    Anybody got any ideas (apart from gluing!) on how to keep these things tight?
    Perhaps I shouldnt be so lazy and just check them from time to time!
  • redvee
    Rode with mine for the first time today and forgot all about them till I hit some small cobbles and got the tweet from the pilestrips and reached down to the pump as that sometimes extends itself but was compact then I saw the roadracer over the front wheel and realised where the noise was coming from. On bigger cobbles at a slower speed they were silent.

Can Mr Crud sort some rain so the guards can be tested in the environment they were designed for?
    suirad67 wrote:
    Anybody got any ideas (apart from gluing!) on how to keep these things tight?

Tightenen the nuts up as tight as you can and then melt the nut onto the bolt.
  • 11 pages on Mudguards

Are we getting a teeny wee bit obsessive

:lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Here are mine - you can hardly notice them...

IMG_0131.JPG
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    edited September 2009
    If you hadn't said they were fitted i'd not have noticed - great product!
    us0.png
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Here are mine - you can hardly notice them...

IMG_0131.JPG

Cosmic Carbones and mudguards is just not right
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Fitted my guards last Thursday which went on easy, the wheels spin as if their not there :D
    Just had to add a small foam pad to the seat tube where the leading edge of the rear guard was buzzing against it over rough terrain. Overall a great design!
    DSC_4334.jpg
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Just fitted mine. Rear would not fit under the arch on the carbon rear of a bianchi via nirone. I took a pair of wire cutters to the guard and trimmed it off just behind the slot for the zip tie and it went on ok. Haven't ridden with it yet.
    Front went on fine.

Bloody re-usable zip ties were useless, did the front one up just a little too tight and couldn't get the sodding thing undone so had to cut it and use a normal zip tie, oh well.

Front is spinning fine, rear catching a little on the brushes and slowing down. Will see how it goes after a rid or two.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Cosmic Carbones and mudguards is just not right

True dat, but if it means I get a while longer out of the Litespeed before bringing out my winter hack then hoorah.

Anyway, they complement my lycra racing pipe, bib plus-fours and slippers.

Wait till I get the titanium shopping basket fitted to the front then it'll really be something...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Had to modify and leave off the front section of the front guard when fitting to giant FCR1 not enough clearance between underside of brake and tyre to fit. but its fine without the front section, back guard fitted perfectly. after a couple of rides the nuts (on the guards) loosened a little so i will try a blob of loctite on them. all in all excellent product so far ,mind you hardly a drop of rain since they went on!!!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    So I had a set fitted over the weekend (I was having the BB fixed and just got sucked into shiny new things I could buy).

Disaster this morning.

I was pulling a very tight circle and toe overlap had me force the front guard onto the tyre. Being light and rubbery plastic it deformed upwards and ended up folding up and jamming under the brake mount between the forks. Double over - looked very messed up.

feck.

So I put one foot down.

Lifted the front wheel off the floor and tapped it into "reverse" with my toe.

Hey Presto! It unfolded, without a scratch and bounced back into perfect shape.

Genius.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • spasypaddy
    greg mine did that but it shattered at a joint. mr crud kindly sent me a new set for free