New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• Put a set on my Pearson Touche. They fit okay and were easy to install. Yesterday's ride home was wet to say the least and they did a good job. My only issue is the cable ties used to secure the guards are pretty fragile - one of mine broke as soon as i tried to adjust it.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Sounds like they'd be fine for a mtb frame then? Need to stop having to pour water from my shoes when I get home...
    Surely a MTB frame with 26x1 tyres would have ACRES of clearance for traditional full-length guards? Honestly, these things are an alternative for those who don't have the clearance, if you have the room for full length guards fit them instead.
  • blorg wrote:
    Sounds like they'd be fine for a mtb frame then? Need to stop having to pour water from my shoes when I get home...
    Surely a MTB frame with 26x1 tyres would have ACRES of clearance for traditional full-length guards? Honestly, these things are an alternative for those who don't have the clearance, if you have the room for full length guards fit them instead.

I like the idea of them being very subtle and not obvious like normals mudguards.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited November 2009
    I think roastie has installed them... I've got 26 x 1's on mine with v brakes and can easily cobble something to make em work...I suspect.
    Roadracers? No way they'd work on an MTB.

I'd installed a Crud Raceguard MTB rear mudguard. TBH it didn't work too well, so I've now got an SKS Beavertail XL set on Miss Piggy. Not very styling at all, but should fit most MTB frames, and work exceedingly well indeed. The front covers a good deal of the wheel and keeps a lot of spray off feet and face. The rear stretches quite far down at the front (almost to front mech) so contains rear spray well too. Fitting was easy, the only (practically irrelevant) complication being that the mounts needed a little bending to tweak the angle for a good fit. [edit]The older version clips on the seat tube, the newer one is attached only at the seatstay bridge which, I think, is better.[/edit]

IMHO I think they are less obtrusive looking than the Crud I had on the rear before - I'd def recommend them. Plus, they are so cheap if you don't like them it isn't exactly a huge investment.
  • Ahh well, my brain melt. They sounds fine - its the wet feet plus face flick that is the pita. Read crud is fine for catching anything from back wheel.

Style will have to take a back seat over winter.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    In that case I strongly recommend the Beavertail set. :)
  • Well, I've just ordered some from Ribble.

Went out on the Maxima yesterday and apart from the fairy hanging around was rather annoyed by the sheer amount of, well, crud on my frame/drivetrain etc.

Much as the royal society for the prevention of cruelty to italian carbon (Il Principe) will probably object to my fitting guards to it, I want to be able to ride the Maxima in winter!

I await their arrival... and you should all be standing by for multiple 'blonde moment' questions!

:P
  • I've used my crud roadracers on my Giant FCR2 for a few rides now, with the first long wet ride yesterday. They performed very well, including sections of the road that had covering of fine gravel and 'farmyard debris'.

Any slight rubbing at the start was easy corrected and soon I forgot that they were on.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Mr Crud,

Please note that these do not fit on a Kiron Scandium wearing 25's. There is not enough clearance on the wishbone seat stay. Will try with 23s soon as.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Well, I've just ordered some from Ribble.

Went out on the Maxima yesterday and apart from the fairy hanging around was rather annoyed by the sheer amount of, well, crud on my frame/drivetrain etc.

Much as the royal society for the prevention of cruelty to italian carbon (Il Principe) will probably object to my fitting guards to it, I want to be able to ride the Maxima in winter!

I await their arrival... and you should all be standing by for multiple 'blonde moment' questions!

:P

Mine came today. The tutorial & tips and tricks vids on crudproducts.com are well worth watching, looks fairly straightforward even to a non-DIY inclined person such as myself. It's also been suggested that you use insulation tape or similar to protect the frame and forks before fitting.
    As for objections, It would be cruel to get our magnificent bits of Tuscan engineering dirty ;) A ten mile ride last week got the Magnifica filthy, hence going for the Roadracers, I'm not putting it away for three months....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Hmmmm, my feeble girlish fingers are not strong enough to stretch the o-ring thingy around my bladed forks.

I've just watched the video on the site, and I can't believe my forks are chunkier than the madone's... I'm going to try again. Damn it. :x
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Hmmmm, my feeble girlish fingers are not strong enough to stretch the o-ring thingy around my bladed forks.

I've just watched the video on the site, and I can't believe my forks are chunkier than the madone's... I'm going to try again. Damn it. :x

Try warming them up in some hot water before fitting, might give them enough elasticity to get them round the forks of the bike, Bowery?.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stuaff
    Hmmmm, my feeble girlish fingers are not strong enough to stretch the o-ring thingy around my bladed forks.

O-rings went on fine, on the rear at least. The back one looks like it's going to need the 'hack'(saw). Be warned....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • redvee wrote:

Try warming them up in some hot water before fitting, might give them enough elasticity to get them round the forks of the bike, Bowery?.

Good tip redvee! Got them on slightly warmed up, followed the instructions and they fit really well!

Only one small niggle - the bit that protrudes out of the front of the headset is off-centre, I can't seem to sort it out and it's annoying me! Took them out in the muddy lanes on a test-ride, and they're good, only complaint is that they're not quite long enough to protect the bottom bracket area.

Perhaps the eminent Mr Crud would consider making after-market longer end pieces?
  • stuaff
    edited November 2009
    Good tip redvee! Got them on slightly warmed up, followed the instructions and they fit really well!

Only one small niggle - the bit that protrudes out of the front of the headset is off-centre, I can't seem to sort it out and it's annoying me! Took them out in the muddy lanes on a test-ride, and they're good, only complaint is that they're not quite long enough to protect the bottom bracket area.

Perhaps the eminent Mr Crud would consider making after-market longer end pieces?

Odd....me and the DIY expert (my mum) resorted to the hacksaw to get the back one on properly (so no coverage for the inside of the fork and the seat tube, grr), front went on with no bother at all. A quick shakedown shows they're fitting fine, no rubbing except the gentle whooshing against the pile strips. I would have thought the clearances on a Maxima and Magnifica would be similar....seems not.
  • I had no problem with the fitting apart from the o-rings - bit the bullet and took the wheels off from the out - far easier!
  • stuaff
    Just been to the seafront and back...rather breezy...but even with the shortened rear (still can't get my head around why I had to cut it down and LiT didn't!) rather impressed, definitely keeping a lot of muck off, even on the back. Did find that an unfortunate side effect of such close fitting is you have to watch out for loose carrier bags etc...they'll get caught.
  • Is £19.49 new the best deal out there at the mo :?:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Fit my Sabbath Silk Road Pro with 23's no problem.
  • probably been mentioned, but an old inner tube comes in handy when fitting these.
    Wrap a bit round the forks, better than tape.
    Tighten the nuts up with a bit
    slip a bit over the front end of the rear guard if its rubbing against the downtube
  • Ooooh that's a good idea wiffachip.

Why couldn't you have made that post when I was fitting them? I've got an old innertube...
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    These are the best light weight guards yet, a doddle to fit to my Ribble Ribelle.

Where can I get some of the little plastic screws and nuts from ?...they are awfy easy to damage by over tightening doncha know!

Andy
  • redvee
    richara3 wrote:
    Where can I get some of the little plastic screws and nuts from ?...they are awfy easy to damage by over tightening doncha know!

Email the bloke called Crud and he'll tell you to send some postage and you'll have some spare screws & nuts.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Anyone know if these will fit a Tricross Comp? Initial research suggests not, due to the knobble on the rear frame and I would imagine the tyres (32) may cause problems.
  • redvee
    They fit my Tricross single but only because I've made a bracket to mount them on and swapped the tyres to 25's.
  • Canny Jock wrote:
    Anyone know if these will fit a Tricross Comp? Initial research suggests not, due to the knobble on the rear frame and I would imagine the tyres (32) may cause problems.

why would you want to, it will take full guards.
  • Canny Jock
    Cos I like the look of 'em :D
  • you wouldn't like the look of them on your bike, they aren't designed for 32 tyres and would look daft

full sks mudguards would, on the other hand, look and work great
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    You could get them to fit the tricross comp ,but think the 32 tyres will struggle to fit in between the stays so you may have to fit 25s. Also the cruddies require normal road type brake caliper mounts to be cable tied to. The massive mud clearance on the tricross may mean that its difficult/impossible to get the guard close enough to the tyre to be much use... Ive got full length sks guards on my tricross sport and they are excellent. The cruddies really are for road bikes with very tight crearances IMO.

Andy
  • Canny Jock
    Thanks - looks like I'll go for the SKS.