New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• I think these are a very neat product but I expected them to fit my Condor with a Deda Nero Corsa frame , I was sure I'd read a blog from someone who had fitted them to an identical frame but there is not enough clearance under the bridge .
    I think I can get the front 'guard in place but I'm proposing to cut the rear guard just in front of the zip tie and cushion the end against the bridge. A shame but I think it would work.

Any thoughts from anyone ?
    M A WOOD
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    They just fit on my Condor Italia. A little rub, but nothing serious. Great product!
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Mike Wood wrote:
    I think these are a very neat product but I expected them to fit my Condor with a Deda Nero Corsa frame , I was sure I'd read a blog from someone who had fitted them to an identical frame but there is not enough clearance under the bridge .
    I think I can get the front 'guard in place but I'm proposing to cut the rear guard just in front of the zip tie and cushion the end against the bridge. A shame but I think it would work.

Any thoughts from anyone ?

I didn't manage to fit them on my Nero Corsa either
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Fitted to a spesh allez comp 2007 frame with some fettling: front sections into hot water, curvature decreased, cold water and then fitted ok no, rubbing.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I rode into work in the first major downpour to hit Birmingham and they performed flawlessly. These are my personal 'product of the year'. Well done Mr Crud, whatever they're paying you - it's not enough :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • As it was raining yesterday I finally got round to getting a pair. Fitted them easily to my Giant SCR 1.0 though the back guard needed some very minor bodging. tThey were much appreciated coming in in the rain this morning. Recommended.
    <a>road</a>
  • First rain last week and they performed really well, esp compared to Race Blades I've used for last three winters. What was amazing was watching the dribble from the back wheel being swept back up by the slipstream over 20mph so that it didn't go all over the casette!

On Tuesday I was barged into a hedge by a dozy driver, over handlebars with scratched face and front blade broken at bottom where short bit bolted. Email to Crud that morning was replied to by lunchtime offering replacement parts that arrived today. What a great company!
  • Very impressed with my guards, easy to fit, virtually no rattles even with quite chunky tyes!

I do get some toe overlap which is increased by fitting guards, but that would happen whatever I had on there.

the biggest plus is that due to buying and fitting them, there's hardly been any rain!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    the biggest plus is that due to buying and fitting them, there's hardly been any rain!

Thanks for that - I was worried that having fitted mine a couple of weeks ago the effect was wearing off.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Well got a problem here.

On a Focus Izalco Team, there is just not enough clearance at the back tyre (Gatorskin 23C).

Front is fine. Back wheel rubs just behind the brake caliper (inverted 'v' section), and even with out fully fixing, it is tight to get the mud guard through the gap between the tyre and the frame. :evil:

Any ideas?
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Can you get a couple of close up pics? Either post them here or email direct to Mr Crud and, if personal experience is anything to go by, you'll get excellent advice from him (and slightly more dubious advice from the rest of us :wink: )
    us0.png
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Wouldn't be much to see TBH.

Even when inserting the guard between tyre and frame there is zero clearance. I understand the the Focus bike was redesigned for 2010 based on the TdF experience of needing to put 25C tyres on - which won't fit on the 2009 version :shock: That's how tight it is.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • mr.crud
    mr.crud Posts: 49
    Tricks and tips for a perfect fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyRZ3hAjrU&feature=player_embedded

Watch the new advanced video...all will become clear!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Blimey you lot, some bikes just won't take them - I know my 'old skool' road bikes won't take any guards - very tight clearance with 23mm tyres, 25mm won't fit.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    cjw wrote:
    Wouldn't be much to see TBH.

Even when inserting the guard between tyre and frame there is zero clearance. I understand the the Focus bike was redesigned for 2010 based on the TdF experience of needing to put 25C tyres on - which won't fit on the 2009 version :shock: That's how tight it is.

Yeah i'm having trouble with a Focus Cayo... basically if i pull up the middle (just a mm or 2) the front touches, if i leave it the middle touches. Gonna saw the front off and see if that gives me better options.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I currently have Raceblades. They are too short but the good thing about them is I can get them on in less than a minute & back off in a few seconds.

Can you do the same with the Cruds? If not, then they are not for me. I stick my blades on when the road is wet & take them back off ASAP. If you can't do that with the Cruds, then it is a major failure.
  • My Litespeed Tuscany is rubbish off road, its tiny thin tyres sink into mud, its drop handlebars put me completely in the wrong position for steep drops and it only has 20 speeds, useless for grinding up big hills. A major failure.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    they are so unobtrusive there is no need to take them off. I'll be leaving them on all winter. Went out today for a ride, in the dry, didn't notce the guards at all.

I had to cut the guards just behind the slot for the zip tie due to tight clearance. Would be worth a go for those with tight frames.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    joepublic wrote:
    Can you do the same with the Cruds? If not, then they are not for me. I stick my blades on when the road is wet & take them back off ASAP. If you can't do that with the Cruds, then it is a major failure.

With practice and a bit of thought then yes but it might cost you a cable tie each time unless you use the reusable one supplied with the guards. When the summer comes I intend to take mine off but keep the mounts on the fork/frame fitted.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    How effective is the rear guard? I wonder why it doesn't extend down further to shield the front mech from road gunk sprayed off the rear tyre?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got no issues with spray coming off the rear tyre onto the front mech.........

......on my Tricross Single :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Tight clearance at the back - you can go over the caliper instead of under it and loosely tie clip.

Will look a little bit silly, but will still do the job.

Just a thought.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Oh, and another cool vid Mr Crud....

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Just fitted a set of these to my 2010 Trek 1.5 yesterday, but not had a chance to go out with them fitted yet.

Initial impressions are good. Instructions pretty straightforward and mounting seemed to go ok. There seems to be a bit of rubbing from the bits of 'sticky felt' designed to help the design of the guards, and they seem to have cleared my 700x25C tyres ok. Will see how they do when it rains next and I'm out on the bike!
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Yeah i'm having trouble with a Focus Cayo... basically if i pull up the middle (just a mm or 2) the front touches, if i leave it the middle touches. Gonna saw the front off and see if that gives me better options.

Yup... back guard fits nicely now.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I finally sorted the problem with my front guard using the video Mr Crud posted further up the thread.

Worth a look if you're having difficulties.
    us0.png
  • I have now fitted these to my Condor - Deda Nero Corsa frame - they will not fit under the rear bridge and I've had to trim so that the guard ends at the rear caliper wth the zip tie. The front is fine , no rub except the front nose has tended to twist and catch the tyre but only occasionally.
    They seem excellent although I feel Mr Crud should have included some spare 'brushes' ; I can't see hem lasting a whole winter , and a spare nut and bolt would be useful.

I guess the nuts should be marked so you can tell which side should be the open end.

So far I'm very pleased.
    M A WOOD
  • Hi Mike
    These brushes last so long you would have lost yr spares by the time the originals wear out!
    The pilestrip is actually weatherstrip, used in doubleglazing. You can get it by the roll from B+Q if you are one of those +10k guys (10,000 miles a year).
    As to spare nuts, these little things are expensive. Including spares would drive down my profits!
    Glad you like the guards though, we worked really hard on the design.
    Cheers
    MrC.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I think one of my nuts is stripped (keep it clean people)
    I check them every time before I ride but one of them just turns and turns even when the bolt is still.. I may get some loctite thread stuff and put it on and cross my fingers (after washing them ofc)
    Other than that I'm very happy with my set
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Your address Flasheart, you have overtightened your nuts. I'll send some replacements.