New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    spasypaddy wrote:
    greg mine did that but it shattered at a joint. mr crud kindly sent me a new set for free

Did I say it bounced back?

I meant it shattered - a shard ripped through my top tube, went straight through me then through my wallet in my bag in my back, that was full of money - let's say 2K.

Mr Crud, can you please replace the exploding guards, bike (it was a Cannondale super six, I seem to have lost the receipt) and money.

I heal quick so we'll forget the entry/exit wound problem.

Cheers!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Hooray, it's pi$$ing down - Crud Raceguards test ahoy!

Time for 11 more thread pages talking about how they actually perform in the rain, anyone?
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I think water wings would be more useful - it's lashing.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • It certainly is - and actually my Raceguards are the only bit of rain gear I have with me, so try as they might I think they're destined to only have limited success this evening...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • Mine have worked great. The only problem I have is that like may others on here I've lost the tail piece off my front mud guard. It must've happened when I was coming home from work one night cos I can't find it in the house :cry:

Can we purchase spares from anywhere?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • As I understand it, send Mr Crud a stamped, self-addressed envelope and a letter saying which bits you've broken/lost, and he'll send you new bits, just for the cost of the stamp!
    us0.png
  • Well that was a right lark. Rain hosing down, my cycle clothes must have soaked up about 15kg extra weight, I couldn't see anything, my brakes were ineffective and everyone in their cages were driving like chumps, predictably. Oh, and going along the Cricklewood end of the Edgware Road at one point my feet on the pedal downstrokes were under water in a large puddle/lake/flood. I was grinning like an eejit all the way.

The Cruds were superb. I arrived home like a drowned rat, don't misunderstand me, but crucially my ar$e was practically dry and that's always a good sign.

Mr Crud you are a scholar and gent, and have a fantastic product here.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's not raining in North Wales, mine still haven't been tested.

Having to check the bolts before each ride is a bit of a pain when each ride is only 1.73miles long.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    As I understand it, send Mr Crud a stamped, self-addressed envelope and a letter saying which bits you've broken/lost, and he'll send you new bits, just for the cost of the stamp!

Doh! Lost my front tailpiece too. SAE being sent from me too
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC wrote:
    FeynmanC wrote:
    As I understand it, send Mr Crud a stamped, self-addressed envelope and a letter saying which bits you've broken/lost, and he'll send you new bits, just for the cost of the stamp!

Doh! Lost my front tailpiece too. SAE being sent from me too

+2

Still waiting for my replacement. That's another one lying on the road somewhere in Bristol.. haha..
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Small amount of rubbing on the front extension front guard. There really isn't much clearance on a bianchi via nirone. Will give it a few days and then maybe trim the front off just in front of the zip tie slit like I did on the rear if no improvement. Running 23mm tyres
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Anyone out there who's Cruds don't fall off, but you're just not mentioning it? I'm puzzled by all your reports of the noses and tails being lost, since mine have been firmly fixed since I put them on. I've checked the nuts a few times but they've never been anything but tight and show no signs of loosening despite the best rattling London roads can offer.

I wonder, as the nuts are cast plastic, if there's occasional discrepancy between sizes? Maybe the tolerance between different batches means some are the tiniest fraction loose on the bolt (eg all yours) and some are fine (eg mine and the silent others')? If that were the case then changing to a metal nut might cure it (as well as giving you the option of threadlock if wanted - it dissolves some plastics, like polystyrene).

In any event, a strip of black electrical tape over the nuts would probably stop loosening and not be noticeable?

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • We have been testing on 5 different bikes for 6 months, and have not had any ends fall off yet Jim.
    I have been away for a week, riding in the Alps. Great to get back and see all the positive comments.
    The instructions say to check nuts constantly, but we never check ours!
    Anyone losing bits, reach me on the website and I will send parts by return no charge.
    Got to get back to packaging, we are selling shitloads of these things!
    Thanx everyone for the cool posts
    Mr CRUD
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got the nosepiece on the front mounted with a proper nut and bolt and still in posession of all the parts, in fact I keep finding spares on the roads. Will swap the platic bolts over to metal ones at the weekend I think going on other Brizzle reports of the guards.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Not recommended redvee, as heavier nuts will tie-up and may touch tyre or wheel.
    Really, just do them up reasonably tight and you will not have problems.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've glued the plastic nuts on mine
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Mine have been on since Saturday, done about 70 odd miles and are absolutely fine. No glue or nuffin!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    Just a thought but if you dont press your finger tip against the screw head when tightening the up they dont tighten up as much, they just spin.
    Had no bother wit mine so far.
  • I've ordered some from wiggle so hopefully they are up to the job. . . . . .
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • Mine lasted the 150 miles through Devon & Cornwall last week, across some very bumpy roads, with no problems bar the very occasional rubbing.

Do them up tight, ride a few miles - they will bed in and loosen a little - do them up again - and again at the end of the day. That worked for me, I checked them regularly throughout the trip and they stayed tight after day 1.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Anyone out there who's Cruds don't fall off, but you're just not mentioning it?

Mines haven't fallen off yet either, done 400 miles with them.
    The tail of the front mudguard got snapped off when stored in the van on return from Paris, and could not find it. Hardly a fault with the mudguards though.
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    Just ordered a pair. I was tempted a month ago particularly having seen the you tube video tests but thought I'd stick it out with the sks race blades. However, this thread plus the raceblades being a pain in the butt yesterday convinced me 26GBP is a no brainer...
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    I've got to be honest, i find it quite amusing that we're all here (me included) raving about how good these guards are but since we've bought them we've had some of the best weather this year! :D
    Its just as if we've spent £25 on decent riding weather!
    WHAT A BARGAIN! 8)
  • I Just recieved mine this morning but they dont seem to fit the rear of my bike :cry: I'm riding a Dolan Mythos with Mavic Kysrium wheels and 700x23 Continental GP4000 tires. There is just not enough room for them to fit between the tire and the frame.
  • I fitted mine at the weekend. Rear was excellent - easy as pie and sits centrally over the tyre perfectly.

My forks are blade shaped, not round section, so the front one doesn't fit perfectly. The guard sits too far from the tyre at the bottom, because the struts can't be made short enough - the forks' blade shape means they are bigger front to rear than the mudgaurds are designed for, even with the mounting thingy right at the bottom of the fork. The front of the front mudguard was _just_ rubbing the tyre, so I removed the leading nose/extension piece and it's now fine. The mudguard ends just in front of the brakes, so at least they still get some protection from it.

Overall I'm very impressed. They are lighter and more discreet that the SKS mudguards I previously used, and they give much better protection. And best of all, they were a lot cheaper.

Pro-Lite Cuneo road frame, Pro-Lite Giavanni forks, 23mm Rubino tyres.

Jehannum.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    StokolaN wrote:
    I Just recieved mine this morning but they dont seem to fit the rear of my bike :cry: I'm riding a Dolan Mythos with Mavic Kysrium wheels and 700x23 Continental GP4000 tires. There is just not enough room for them to fit between the tire and the frame.

Hi StokolaN,

I've got the same bike. I take it your front one fits fine? Mine did.

For the rear what I did was use some sharp scissors to cut some of the guard off. I cut it just after the cable tie mount, so you still have all the rear part of the guard and the bit that goes under the brake. It should be cut so it ends just before it would touch the frame.

Take care though, best to start cutting too little off than too much!

Mine have worked perfectly since I did that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    StokolaN wrote:
    I Just recieved mine this morning but they dont seem to fit the rear of my bike :cry: I'm riding a Dolan Mythos with Mavic Kysrium wheels and 700x23 Continental GP4000 tires. There is just not enough room for them to fit between the tire and the frame.

Hi StokolaN,

I've got the same bike. I take it your front one fits fine? Mine did.

For the rear what I did was use some sharp scissors to cut some of the guard off. I cut it just after the cable tie mount, so you still have all the rear part of the guard and the bit that goes under the brake. It should be cut so it ends just before it would touch the frame.

Take care though, best to start cutting too little off than too much!

Mine have worked perfectly since I did that.

Yeah the front fitted perfect and looked sweet.

Thanks for the tip. I shall give it a try :) its a shame to have to cut them tho as they look nice.
  • Noticed something interesting this morning; after a vigorous weekend washing of the Litespeed, my front Raceguard was rubbing this morning. It took me a while to work out that (thanks to the slippery soapy water I assume) the left front fork bracket had moved down the fork a little - and I do mean a little, about 5mm tops. Once I'd sussed that and pulled the bracket back into place the rubbing went away and everything was nice and centred again.

I think I'll probably take the brackets and o-rings off, put a wrap of insulating tape on the bottom of the fork (just as the instructions suggested, ahem :oops: ) then re-fit the brackets, to stop such slithery behaviour in the future.

Two hours spent cleaning the bike on Sunday. Very shiny this morning, lovely.

FCR 4 (I think?)
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    Well they fitted on easy as pie to the Flyer.
    They've had a few rides out and performed great, no rubbing and a dry backside after riding through standing water.
    Not been for a ride recently as I've been away for the last week and a bit.

But, went to check the bike over last night before this mornings commute and noticed the front tail piece was missing, much the same as everyone else.
    I only did them up finger tight but this has fallen off after about 50 miles.
    Looks like it's going to be a jump over to the Crud site to sort out a replacement, then I'll be tightening every one of the little critters up with pliers!
  • But, went to check the bike over last night before this mornings commute and noticed the front tail piece was missing, much the same as everyone else.
    I only did them up finger tight but this has fallen off after about 50 miles.
    Looks like it's going to be a jump over to the Crud site to sort out a replacement, then I'll be tightening every one of the little critters up with pliers

No pliers Matt. Fingertight is fine. You will notice that the thumbnuts have a top and a bottom....they have more thread one way round. Use them so the thread starts as soon as you offer the nut to the screw. Pliers will definately strip the thread whicheve way round you try them..
    We have only replaced 4 tips so far, as a result of people losing their tails.