New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not sure where the bolts I used came from for my Tricross but I've got an M5 bolt with a domed allen head comingg from the back of the fork and an Ikea bed fitting on the front of the fork, see my previous posts in this thread for pics. I am having to put a spacer bracket between the guard and crown as there is too much clearance and pulling the cabletie tight to prevent movement means a 3/4" gap. Will post some pics when fitted properly. Going to order some M4 stainless bolts and Nyloc nuts over the weekend, might add a few grams to the bike but also adds security as I like to tighten the nuts up more than hand tight.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Is redvee like the candyman? :shock:

I mentioned his name...and he appears!
    us0.png
  • Mine arrived in the post from Wiggle today and like a child with a new toy i was eager to fit them.Firstly it is worth spending 5 minutes reading the instructions thoroughly.To be honest it took me about 30 minutes to fit these the hardest bit being stretching the rubber O rings around the front forks but once fitted and after a bit of tweaking i can report no rubbing on the tyres although clearance looks tight.
    I`ll certainly be checking the tightness of the thumbnuts regularly(as mentioned in the instructions).Appearence wise i might even go as far to say they make my Giant OCR look better. :shock:
    Typically now there`s no rain forecast for Sussex in the next few days.I shall be out for a ride tomorrow so shall report back soon on my findings.
  • I had problems with rubbing at the start, but found that moving the stays up and down the fork legs /chainstays shifted how the guards sat above the tyre.
  • Hi Lazyboy,
    We took 3 weeks to do the instructions page, but I would do it slightly different now. You can actually get the 'guard to follow the line of your tyre with the following method.
    Fix the 'guard with 5mm clearance at the back, like pic 6 in the instructions. Tighten the nuts. THEN pull the mudguard up in the middle where it touches the tyre. The mudguard will increase its arc until it matches the circumference of the tyre. Retighten nuts, and away you go.
    When we designed the mudguard, we asked the toolmakers how accurate the diameter would be after the mudguard left the mould. They could not tell us as there is always 'settlement' after moulding. For instance, Polypropyline shrinks 4percent as it leaves the mould.
    So we had to pre-guess the size of the tool, and hope the product came out right. If it didn't the £25,000 tool(that's just for the main piece) would have to be scrapped, and a new one made.
    Anyway, the result is that we went a bit conservative. The arc is a bit big, only by a fraction.
    It can be easily tweaked by the above method.
    Going out on my MTB now, Cheers.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I received mine from Wiggle on Friday. Did the right thing and read the instructions first and fitted 'em onto my Tarmac with absolutley no problems whatsoever. They hug my tyres perfectly - I'm a very happy bunny!!!
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Any Antipodean distributors?
  • Thanks 'forgotrafe' missed your original review but thanks for update - to secure the
    plastic fixing - would airfix kit glue bind it all together in the mannt of 'locknut' without 'melting' it all together
    M A WOOD
  • Threadlock is only a couple of quid from any decent hardware store and probably bike shops (or maybe even B&Q). As the nuts are plastic I wouldn't risk anything else in case it does damage, most threadlocks work because they are thixotropic.
  • Dudes, glue is just not necessary. Just do 'em up tight with your fingers. The tension holds them together fine. We never checked ours, and had them on for months over the roughest roads we could find.Never lost a nut.
  • Hi All,

I like what I read of the Roadracers. However, how thin are they? I'm looking at some for my Wilier Mortirolo which has 700x23C tyres. The front forks have very little clearance between them and the tyre so am concerned whether the Roadracers would fit.

Thanks,
    Richard
  • To be honest, my BeOne has remarkably little clearance, and they fit just fine (and since I followed the instructions properly, I have no rubbing at all). :oops:
  • Updated my review with a brief comment following a long (for me!) ride yesterday and a slight problem with a bent roadracer!

I also wanted to say that I've not put any threadlock or glue on my nuts and don't think it's needed. All I was saying in my earlier posts was that if the people commenting felt they really needed too apply something, then threadlock was probably the stuff to use not glue.

Am doing London to Bruges next week (200 miles in 2 days) and unless a heatwave comes to Northern Europe then the roadracers will be staying on the bike and I'm confident that they'll be a great asset if it rains and be no issue at all if it doesn't.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    RIP my roadracers...

i have a lot of toe lap on my bike and my front guard is no more. When filtering this evening i turned a corner and my front wheel caught my toe and that was the end of my guard. It snapped. Not halfway down the shaft but at the top where it all connects up.

Very disappointed as they kept me dry when i rode through a burst water main this morning.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    spasypaddy wrote:
    RIP my roadracers...

i have a lot of toe lap on my bike and my front guard is no more. When filtering this evening i turned a corner and my front wheel caught my toe and that was the end of my guard. It snapped. Not halfway down the shaft but at the top where it all connects up.

Very disappointed as they kept me dry when i rode through a burst water main this morning.

Lol, my mate did that on his first ride out on his ribble winter trainer :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Get in touch via our website spazzy, I'll send you a new one.
  • spasypaddy
    ive sent you a message via your website mr crud.
  • First test for me was last Sunday. Mate of mine is now off to get a set after he showed me what the Race Blades did to his winter ride's seat stays.

They performed flawlessly.

Long term test for me this week: London to Paris, 320 miles over 4 days this Wednesday.
  • Spazy! :shock:

:wave:
  • spasypaddy
    big pants i know where i know you from but i dont know your username linkover
    :toppa:
  • I`ve done about 90miles since fitting my Crud mudguards and they are performing fautlessly.I`m still waiting for some rain to really test them though.
    richardhuk- I`ve got 5.5mm clearance between my brakes and the tyres and they fit fine.
    Mr Crud- I think your on to a winner here.
  • I love the look of these so am waiting for my order to arrive from wiggle. Then i just need to buy a road bike!.... No seriously :) Ah well.....Ribble will prob be a few weeks away.

Tollers
  • We have a special shipment coming over the USA from Mr. Crud. Should be here in the next two weeks. Go ahead and order online and you will be the first. Pete, Crud USA.

http://www.crudusa.com
  • Mine arrived from a random online bike shop over the weekend. Just fitted them about 10 minutes ago, took about 10 minutes to do, very straightforward. I was a bit worried the o-rings wouldn't cope with the very oval profile of the Litespeed's front forks but my fears were unfounded, they fit no problem. Now to wait for the rain, though they'll get dry tested as of tomorrow morning...

Shame they won't fit on my Focus 'Cross Disc (especially since that's actually my winter hack), as the only places I could attach bolts for the cable ties are both way too far above the tyre. I might work on that at school and bodge something to let me fit a pair there too though, if I get a chance.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    big pants i know where i know you from but i dont know your username linkover
    :toppa:

F365 Crew
    :lol:
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • First ride with them - faultless. Kudos, Mr Crud. Or should that be Crudos?
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Well, I'm back from my little cycle ride and the Cruds are still on the bike. So how did they fare ?

I fitted them on Saturday, cable ties kept loose as recommended by Mr. Crud, but I was still concerned that the rear guard was a very close fit and would rub. However, I decided it was better to try give them a decent trial and so on Sunday afternoon I caught a train to Exeter, met up with my mate who was doing the End to End, and over the next 2.5 days we rode to Land's End.

Across Dartmoor and through some of Devon and Cornwall's finest B roads, through mud and drizzle and against some rather fresh headwinds, over roads that were often rough and bumpy, at speeds from about 5mph uphill to a best of 42.7 downhill.....the guards stayed put, kept the worst of the mud and rain off the bike, and generally performed perfectly :D

There was some occasional rattling on the bumpy bits, and because of the very close clearance there was some rubbing when the tyres picked up mud/gravel/leaves, but it all cleared itself with no intervention needed from me. OK, a full set of SKS Chromoplastics would have kept the bike cleaner, but wouldn't have fitted on my Wilier.

So congratulations to Mr. Crud & co, the guards did their job nicely. I don't think they'll be a permanent fitment to the bike but will be making regular appearances whenever a longer ride in inclement weather is planned.
    Misguided Idealist
  • I've had mine for 2 weeks now on my daily commuter

They're very straight forward to fit and look very nice and subtle.

However, somehow I've aready lost the tail piece on the front guard. Not very happy about that since I double checked all the nuts a few days after fitting.
  • jamsop wrote:
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now on my daily commuter

They're very straight forward to fit and look very nice and subtle.

However, somehow I've aready lost the tail piece on the front guard. Not very happy about that since I double checked all the nuts a few days after fitting.

Send Crud a first class stamp (or two if you've also lost the thumbnut, as presumably you have) and your address, and tell them what you want. I lost one of the longer nuts and so sent off for a new one - they must have sent them off the same day they received the letter because they arrived just a couple of days later. Impressed with the customer service.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I had a look at the review posted and it said that the rear guard attaches to the brake bolt. Will these work on a cyclocross bike with cantilever brakes?