Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

Happened upon this:

http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/2009/08/crud ... uards.html

Anyone know anything else about them?

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• Have a look at this:

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

I think they look fantastic, personally. Not 100% sure about the 'floating' shoe thing that's touching the rims, though. I'll probably be getting these come early Sept.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'll have to say I quite like the look of those and could actually see myself fiting them to my beloved roadie! I had one of the MTB Crud Matcher on my scaffold based Hellfords MTB back when I was younger and using that for the commute and it saved me a very damp bum quite a few times :-)

I'm intrigued by the "floating" system where the pile brushes seem to rub on the rim, mainly in the fact that it could offer and additional rim cleaning (the first bit provided by the Koolstop Salmons I use and their wedge shaped trailing edge) which would be useful in the wet conditions to hopefully improve braking.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Avoneer
    Wow - I was looking for Cruds website but couldn't find it yesterday.

Those videos look awesome as well.

From what I found, they'll be aorund £24 unless I'm much mistaken.

Seem a lot better value than the GIant specific ones I can get for my Defy 4 (£30 ish).

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • They actually look quite good! :o

I could actually see myself putting them on my bike! :shock:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I think I'll be getting some of those, problem solved :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My SKS Chromoplastics are starting to fall to pieces (cracking) - so I think a set of these will do very well indeedy.
  • jamescw
    jamescw Posts: 87
    We've got some in the office. Stay tuned for a report...
  • Avoneer
    I'm tuned and excited.

They look so good and very "modern" - will really suit carbon frames with their rounded corners.

Pat...
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    If they fit the Defy, i'm gonna get some!

Can you cover that in the review, please?
    us0.png
  • Would be interesting to find out how they perform if your wheel is even slightly out of true also, we all have a bit of a wobble, no?
  • Avoneer
    Giant do Defy specific mudguards which I was about to buy, but these just look so much better.

Pat...
  • FeynmanC
    Avoneer wrote:
    Giant do Defy specific mudguards which I was about to buy, but these just look so much better.

Pat...

+1 so much better - and cheaper too. lets hope they fit AND work.

REVIEW NOW PLEASE :wink:
    us0.png
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Liversage wrote:
    I think they look fantastic, personally.
    +1. Very unobtrusive and they appear to offer at least as much protection as Raceblades etc.

I like the fact that the guys post videos testing them, gives the impression of an honest attempt to make a great product. I may have to join the queue and shove my Tortecs to the back of the garage (I have toe overlap with the front on my SCR even before fitting a mudguard).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Avoneer
    From the pics, I'd say they offer a lot more protection than race blades - the front is a full guard and the back almost a full guard.

Pat...
  • They look really good, although it doesn't look like the rear guard extends all the way to the bottom bracket? Maybe there would be some kind of extension to cover that? Having said that the tolerances on some race bikes wouldn't leave much room for a full guard I spose.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Look good, gonna keep an eye on those. But the way the weather is being I think I'll soon be putting the roadie away into its hibernation box and getting my winter bike out again.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Avoneer
    I'm lucky - one road bike for all year round commuting - although I've only had it a week and my trusty 4 year old hybrid is off to a new home.

Pat...
  • Mills127
    Mills127 Posts: 15
    Avoneer wrote:
    From the pics, I'd say they offer a lot more protection than race blades - the front is a full guard and the back almost a full guard.

Pat...

+1! i use race blades and they're ok, but the protection is for you, not the bike. my rear brake caliper is actually quite scratched from bits of grit etc being swept around the inside of the guard and hitting it, and i often end up with more crud in the rear brake then i would otherwise.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    girv73 wrote:
    Look good, gonna keep an eye on those. But the way the weather is being I think I'll soon be putting the roadie away into its hibernation box and getting my winter bike out again.

This is what we use up here : http://www.agimia.com/snow-bike/

[/img]
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    where can I buy these. I need them now.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • FeynmanC
    I've just emailed crud asking the same thing - it says "coming soon" on the website - i hate coming soon's!
    us0.png
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    dagnammit. I hope it is very soon. was about to get some raceblades but now I'm going to get these. post back here when you get a reply?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Now added to my desktop want list.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    edited August 2009
    They do look good.

Hopefully they'll be better than my raceguards, which I have to keep adjusting on the rear due to my bike having triangular seat stays at the point where they're supposed to attach to the stays, so they don't sit properly. :(

+ as they're almost full length they look like they'll give much better protection in the wet. Me plus the bike. :)

I hope the 'floating shoe' thing touching the rims isn't too noisy or obtrusive, they could be annoying. :(
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    FeynmanC wrote:
    If they fit the Defy, i'm gonna get some!

+1 I've got the "Defy Guards" at the moment, and I don't think they're up to much. By that, I mean I think they're a bit of a con.

Me - Does this bike take full mudguards?

LBS - Yes - mounting points here, here and here. Giant do their own ones which fit perfectly.

Me - Great - one please with mudguards.

Week later, pick up bike, pump tyres up to recommended pressure - rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr rrr......

Something's rubbing - WTF!?

Anyway - can't manage anything above 23mm at pressure at the moment - bit miffed as wanted to fit the same tyres on my winter steed as on my Pompino (running the GP 4000 in 25mm with the reflective sidewalls for visibility)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • prawny
    FeynmanC wrote:
    I've just emailed crud asking the same thing - it says "coming soon" on the website - i hate coming soon's!

I saw 1st of september somewhere - not long :D:D
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Definitely a better price than raceguards.
  • prawny
    Why are we so excited about muguards? I reckon it's the picture on the site if they'd been fitted to a crappy winter bike no one would give a toss.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017