New Crud Road Bike Specific Mudguards

Comments

• Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    mr.crud wrote:
    Your address Flasheart, you have overtightened your nuts. I'll send some replacements.

sent via PM

Cheers for that :D
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Anyone had any experiences of these on Felt F5C frames or 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres?

If so, these might persuade me to permanently fit my Bontrager Speed Limit brakeset, rather than leaving my crud infested original 105 calipers on (due to Raceblades dumping all the rubbish all over the brakes)...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I've had a few very wet rides now and can report that the crud roadracers perform excellently!

I have no wet arse, my legs aren't splattered by road crap (literally in some country lanes) and it keeps the worst off of the moving parts.

They are set up correctly now (i had the cable ties too tight - thanks for the video Mr Crud) and have even survived being bent out of shape when the bike had to take a trip in the back of a car with the wheels off. A little bend the opposite way and they were good as new!

Plus, as has been seen above on many occasions, the customer service from Mr Crud has been absolutely outstanding! I've never experienced anything near that level of personal interest in how a customer is finding their product, nor the offers of free replacement parts when things go wrong.

If there was a prize for the most innovative product of the year, and the best customer service, I know who I'd be voting for!

If you ride in the rain and don't have these, get some!
    us0.png
  • Been out with these now, fitted to my 2010 Trek 1.5.. did 22 miles on Friday last week on rather wet roads and light drizzle and can happily confirm that I returned home with a totally dry backside / back and only had a tiny bit of spray around the bottom of my legs..

Very happy with these guards so far!
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Put mine on over the weekend and promptly lost the long tail on the rear one on the way in this morning. Ah well, only the cost of a stamp to get a replacement.

Anyone know if the tail and the screw / nut counts as two seperate items?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Finally got mine yesterday, haven't fitted them yet but will get them on sometime this week.

My LBS said that people have been raving about them...as if I didn't know :D .

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am SO annoyed with my raceblades now that I'm about to take the leap. My Focus Cayo will soon be plastickier but dryer :)
  • FeynmanC
    Asprilla wrote:
    Put mine on over the weekend and promptly lost the long tail on the rear one on the way in this morning. Ah well, only the cost of a stamp to get a replacement.

Anyone know if the tail and the screw / nut counts as two seperate items?

One item, and if you're lucky they'll throw in another couple of spares as well!
    us0.png
  • benno68
    Just fitted them, slight rubbing sound but I'll give them a couple of days and see if they need any tweaking.

ps. It's just started raining in Cardiff :)

Better not give them a test run now, my better half has already given me "that look" for fettling with the bike in the house at 1am :roll:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    mr.crud wrote:
    Your address Flasheart, you have overtightened your nuts. I'll send some replacements.

Spares arrived safe n sound ...excellent service :D

TYVM :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Was about to fit a spare tail piece for the front that I 'lost' last night, tonight but stood on something on the way back from the bedroom. Had a look and it was the bolt from the guard, further searching found the nut, even more searching by the bikes special place found the lost piece of guard so I lost it but in the kitchen :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • suirad67 wrote:
    I've been using the race guards for a week or so. I had to remove the nose extension on the front guard after a few minutes of riding as it rattled like hell and made a terrible noise. Once removed all was good though. They're nice and quiet when riding on londons potholed roads, unlike my race blades which rattled a fair bit and had to be repositioned from time to time. However today on my ride home the tail end of the front guard fell off (without me notincing I might add) some where along the way. :-( Thought I'd tightened all the little nuts up pretty well. Obviuosly not tight enough. I'll hopefully be able to get a replacement from Mr Crud with any luck.
    Anybody got any ideas (apart from gluing!) on how to keep these things tight?
    Perhaps I shouldnt be so lazy and just check them from time to time!

Lost my front bit as well, got a new from Mr Crud though
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Quick update - I had a big off on some ice resulting in a broken collar bone, bent drops, a broken bifter and I'm pretty sure my front carbon forks are cracked (not looked at the bike again since) and guess what, the guards were fine!

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Avoneer wrote:
    Quick update - I had a big off on some ice resulting in a broken collar bone, bent drops, a broken bifter and I'm pretty sure my front carbon forks are cracked (not looked at the bike again since) and guess what, the guards were fine!

Pat...

Oof get well soon. Maybe Mr Crud will send you a fruit basket for all your good work :wink::D

Come on pete he deserves it!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FeynmanC
    prawny wrote:
    Avoneer wrote:

Pat...

Oof get well soon. Maybe Mr Crud will send you a fruit basket for all your good work :wink::D

Come on pete he deserves it!

Sod the fruit basket - make him a new collar bone and bifter out of the stuff the guards are made from so he can't break them again ;)

Speedy recovery Avoneer.
    us0.png
  • benno68
    All the best for a speedy recovery Avoneer!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    Just got back after a short 50 minute ride and I'm very pleased with the Crud Roadracers, roads were wet and they dealt with the surface water very well, being the little kid that I am I also went through a few puddles to test them out properly.

They are rubbing a little but not enough to worry about, I will need to use a spacer to raise the front tip a little.

The really good thing about these is that they are full mudguards and will protect the brakes against road dirt unlike race blades and the "so called" Defy specific mudguards which I just couldn't get on with.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Has anyone used these on a Planet X (Carbon Pro Road) with 25mm tyres? Have 23mm on at the moment but plan on going to 25mm for the winter.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Lol - cheers guys.

Please note that I'm not affiliated with Crud in any way and if the guards were poor, I would have said so.

Just a satisfied customer.

Pat ;-)
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Get Well Soon Uncle Pat.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    mr.crud wrote:
    Get Well Soon Uncle Pat.

just_fruit_basket_l.jpg

:wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ooh nice - I want some.

I've a 32mm tyre with discs and "proper" mudguard fittings and I realise they are too small and I still want some.

Might have to buy a new bike
  • mickbrown wrote:
    Ooh nice - I want some.

I've a 32mm tyre with discs and "proper" mudguard fittings and I realise they are too small and I still want some.

A whole new bike just to get some tarty mudguards? That's the kind of thinking we like around here!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    mickbrown wrote:
    Ooh nice - I want some.

ahem
    These are "toy" mudguards compared with the real thing. Just fit some proper mudguards.
  • biondino
    I fitted mine last night. I hadn't realised the lack of a back brake would make things rather trickier! I have bodged it by attaching one of those wee rubber lights to the brake bridge and tied the guard onto that. But it's far from ideal (though I readily admit it's my fault. Shame though as there are a lot of brakeless fixie riders out there who'd like to use these guards).

And at the front... the reusable cable tie isn't long enough to fit round the brake! the gap around the bolt that attaches the brake is too small to fit the cable tie through, so I cycled home with the guard bouncing on the wheel and then used a standard cable tie before heading out this morning. Again, not ideal. Any chance you could make your ties longer, mr.crud?
  • Sounds like they'd be fine for a mtb frame then? Need to stop having to pour water from my shoes when I get home...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    Not unless it's an MTB frame with 23mm tyres! (also I don't know how the brakes are mounted on MTBs - do they only work with calipers?)
  • I think roastie has installed them... I've got 26 x 1's on mine with v brakes and can easily cobble something to make em work...I suspect.
  • I think roastie has installed them... I've got 26 x 1's on mine with v brakes and can easily cobble something to make em work...I suspect.

They're 700c fit, Shirley they wouldn't work on 26"?
  • Calling Roastie!