Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Did this link get posted? Germany cracks down on brakeless fixies

goes rather hand in hand with this article from 1896!!!

http://bikeqld.org.au/attachments/20090706/THE%20DANGERS%20OF%20CYCLING.pdf

Also it seems SCR'ing has been around for quite a few years as scorching :lol:

I was really impressed with that! SCoRching, even.

very good
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Just took delivery of a new campag crankset for my SSFG wow what a work of art, i'm no campag snob but really the craftmanship of their chainrings is truly a thing of beauty.

cheap too £40 for a 48/34 172.5mm mirage crankset in black natch!

Black and red is the new black people :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Just took delivery of a new campag crankset for my SSFG wow what a work of art, i'm no campag snob but really the craftmanship of their chainrings is truly a thing of beauty.

pista yeah? I got me one of those it's very nice indeed
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I suspect I'm on a hiding to nothing here, but does anyone want to go halves with me on a pair of pink lightweight brakes - http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... s_338.html - I'd love to get one for my fixie but obviously I don't need two!

Only £50 each for what has been rated as a 10/10 brake at twice the price - and lighter than Dura-Ace...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

From where? Olivia wants a new crankset...
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

GB cycles

Mark those are super bling, i'm ordering some gold ones to go with my new gold BB & soon to be gold chain.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

GB cycles

Mark those are super bling, i'm ordering some gold ones to go with my new gold BB & soon to be gold chain.

Tart!

Have you bought a 10sp one? Will it fit my square taper cranks? Do I need a new BB?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hurry up mobile mechanic man! I want to finish the bike off, that uncut steerer tube keeps giving me funny looks...
  • biondino
    Hurry up mobile mechanic man! I want to finish the bike off, that uncut steerer tube keeps giving me funny looks...

Jesus, James, I know you love your bike but that's just wrong!

(btw you still want to leave a bag at mine tomorrow? It's all cool, just let me know roughyly when)
  • biondino
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

GB cycles

They are a bit! Maybe I should look for some classier, uh, pink brakes...

No offers so far then?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

GB cycles

Tart!

Have you bought a 10sp one? Will it fit my square taper cranks? Do I need a new BB?

Just wait until you see what i'll be wearing tomorrow :roll:

[lab coat on]
    So sq taper BB eh! is it JIS or ISO ?

JIS would be Shimano, FSA etc
    ISO would be Campag, Miche etc etc
    [/lab coat off]
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

GB cycles

Tart!

Just wait until you see what i'll be wearing tomorrow :roll:

[lab coat on]
    So sq taper BB eh! is it JIS or ISO ?

JIS would be Shimano, FSA etc
    ISO would be Campag, Miche etc etc
    [/lab coat off]

Currently have FSA Vero crankset, so I'm going JIS...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The cheap campy cranks going around atm are miche bb, so ISO british threaded.

Very good deal though!

Biondino, check out these dia compe ones:

bcdc-BRS101-cols.jpg
  • biondino
    The cheap campy cranks going around atm are miche bb, so ISO british threaded.

Very good deal though!

Biondino, check out these dia compe ones:

bcdc-BRS101-cols.jpg

Thank you! They appear a bit darp pink, and I want as light as possible, but they're certainly a thought.
  • itboffin
    they are also cheap and dont work very well, I have a silver pair knocking around somewhere.
  • lost_in_thought
    Ahhh, so the wrong one. Can I change my BB to a Miche one if it's currently the other type?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but they do look very nice!

how about:

31594.jpg
  • il_principe
    Thanks for the Bag offer Mark, change of plan though so I won't be "dropping one off" so to speak.

Cheers.
  • itboffin
    Ahhh, so the wrong one. Can I change my BB to a Miche one if it's currently the other type?

Here you go, don't tell Jash it's only £12 get the matching chain while your there :wink:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/m ... miche.html

17745_131925.jpg
  • itboffin
    it's all gone ghey very early, must be the BBQ summer we're having :evil:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    OK you fg/ss types, I'm sold on the idea but haven't a clue what gearing to run

Going by my current set up about 80.4 GI feels ok. I tried that this morning and managed to get up most hills, and could get up to about 30ish downhill. What sort of ratio's would I need to be running to achieve that, or should I take it down a notch and just accept I have a slightly lower top speed?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Rich158 wrote:

Going by my current set up about 80.4 GI feels ok. I tried that this morning and managed to get up most hills, and could get up to about 30ish downhill. What sort of ratio's would I need to be running to achieve that, or should I take it down a notch and just accept I have a slightly lower top speed?

are you running your commuter at one gear? try that in and out and see how you get on.

if you want just SS you can get away with higher GI as you can rest like a lady :lol:

if you want FG get the miche system and you can interchange sprockets easily, start on a lower GI then up it as you get stronger and more used to it.

I roll with about 80 as well 48-16 & 50-17 but I only have one proper hill and it's not that bad
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

are you running your commuter at one gear? try that in and out and see how you get on.

if you want just SS you can get away with higher GI as you can rest like a lady :lol:

if you want FG get the miche system and you can interchange sprockets easily, start on a lower GI then up it as you get stronger and more used to it.

I roll with about 80 as well 48-16 & 50-17 but I only have one proper hill and it's not that bad

Cheers, i tries it at about 80 this morning and most hills were OK. What Greenwich Park is going to be like this evening god only knows, and Shooters Hill will definately be out for the time being.

it's definately going to be fg, I'll look up the miche system
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    those brakes are awesome, who makes them? i might try and get a couple of sets one for my planet and one for my fixie...

Also are they better than ultegra brakes?

also found out im running 48x18 and have sitting on my bed a 17 cog and a 19 cog.

Should i go for the harder hills but the faster top speed or the easier hills and the slower top speed?

Really cant decide...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Been talking to the guys at Pearson about the Hanzo and they suggested 48/18 which I think is 72 but I guess we have more hills around here than in London
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dont put two even cogs on or you'll end up having the problem that i have - a loose spot and a tight spot on your chain hence i now have a 17 and a 19 and dont know which one to go with
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    spasypaddy wrote:
    dont put two even cogs on or you'll end up having the problem that i have - a loose spot and a tight spot on your chain hence i now have a 17 and a 19 and dont know which one to go with

Thanks buddy - still finding my way on the SS front 8)
  • il_principe
    Well the Decade is all built, rode it up to Willesden on Sat and into work this am. It's a lovely frame, feel more responsive/nippier than the Pearson and I'm loving the Cinelli Bianca pam bars, flattened bar tops are the way forward. I've taken a couple of pretty poor pics in the office, but will get some decent ones up soon. Very very pleased with it though!

Oh and BTW I know the chain is a tad slack, I spent ages wrestling with it at the weekend but this mornings ride seems to have shifted it again. I've got some Dura Ace nuts on order and I'm hoping they'll solve this issue...

3737902527_ab098e1906_b.jpg

3737902659_4764d75e5b_o.jpg
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Selling my Cannondale Capo if anyone is interested. See the road classifieds.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    50 x 15 for me - got me around Richmond Park okay.....not too bad a gear - climb most stuff in it, but gear down in winter to 48 x 16....May go back to 48 x 16 now, legs are a bit achey!