Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :shock:

UGLY!

:lol::lol:

It seems pretty much a given that if I like it, you won't!

I like the Ritchey frame!

But not the Ti Van Nicholas... Interesting!

What don't you like about it?

Where to start?
    Silver silver silver = Yuck
    Decals colour = Yuck
    Decal font = Yuck
    Van Nicholas = An awful name for a bike mnfctr. Sounds like a tribute act, or a "clever" meedja name for a new range of builders vans.

The Burls is nicer.

:lol:

So all the things I like about it are the things you don't like about it!

The Burls is pricier, has no fork, and isn't drilled for rear brakes, let alone having rack mounts. It also only takes a 23mm tyre... which isn't necessarily a problem.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

So all the things I like about it are the things you don't like about it! .

It's clearly the Australian half of you that manages the 'Taste' department then...
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340

So all the things I like about it are the things you don't like about it! .

It's clearly the Australian half of you that manages the 'Taste' department then...

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    how can silver be ugly? boring, I could understand but ugly?????
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    jedster wrote:
    how can silver be ugly? boring, I could understand but ugly?????

Yeah i was going to say the same thing. It's not ugly but has no character.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    incidently, on the silver elegantly understated (if a little dull) front, I'm struggling to see what's not to like with the 2009 langste. seems an absolute steal at £440.
  • lost_in_thought
    jedster wrote:
    incidently, on the silver elegantly understated (if a little dull) front, I'm struggling to see what's not to like with the 2009 langste. seems an absolute steal at £440.

Are those rack mounts? Huh, well I never! Who'd have thought the previously ultra-hip langster would have those?

I agree, it is rather dull, but very reasonably priced!
  • Oddjob62
    Langsters have always had rack mounts... but have they ever really been "hip"?
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Langsters have always had rack mounts... but have they ever really been "hip"?

I think silly bikes like the monaco were heading that way...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    That Van Nicholas is gorgeous, titanium frames are so shiny. :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    OK, OK....

So, this frame has raack and guard mounts, and is still (I reckon) very pretty...

YKBK__MD_big_big.jpg

Only problem is that it ain't cheap!

I like the slight curve in the seat stays. Same as my custom Setavento

It looks a bit good for a commuter bike, I hope you have a good place to stash it at work
  • Oddjob62
    Ahhh can relax now. Got me a new EAI 15t cog. Was worried i'd have to do next week's Summer Drinks ride on 61GI (42/18)... don't think my legs could have coped :p
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    right a report on speedplays after commuting on them for 3 weeks now and almost 400 miles on them.

WOW! I will never be using a different pedal system again (once i get paid and order a pair for my geared bike).

They are the best pedal system out there by a long way. Double sided road pedals are the way forward.

Also is anyone faster commuting fixed than they are geared? I'm not far off beating my PB which was set on my geared bike on my fixie. 20 seconds slower at the moment. I will beat it and then i will set a new PB on my geared bike...

Also need some buying advice:
    Would like some deep drop brakes so that i can use mudguards in the winter, currently got some tektro but think a pair of something else would stop me better. Any ideas?
    And on the same topic i need some new brake levers as ive currently got cane creek but they have a lot of pull even when the brakes are aligned perfectly, so i need some brake levers that dont have gear changers on them. Any ideas?
    For both i wouldnt mind and would pay for something that was as good as ultegra if poss...
  • Oddjob62
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Also is anyone faster commuting fixed than they are geared? I'm not far off beating my PB which was set on my geared bike on my fixie. 20 seconds slower at the moment. I will beat it and then i will set a new PB on my geared bike...

Hmmm... closest i can get to geared is flipping my back wheel (now that i have 18t at 15t on the back)... so as that would take about 2minutes for each change, it will definitely be slower :p
  • Oddjob62
    Woah... that new gearing is fast!! Used to have 69gi (46/18), moved to 61 (42/18) for a week or so, now in 74 (42/15) for a bit to see how it goes. 61 to 74 is quite a jump, and those downhills on my route that were making me brick it on 61 are now easy :D... Uphills... noticably harder, but not impossible. Got both on my back wheel so might swap each week to give my body a varied workout.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ok quick question - doing the spec for the Hanzo - question is courier bars or drops ? My instinct is to go for drops as I want to use the bike for weekend rides rather than just round town - I'm hanging onto the Giant for that
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Did this link get posted? Germany cracks down on brakeless fixies
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

goes rather hand in hand with this article from 1896!!!

http://bikeqld.org.au/attachments/20090706/THE%20DANGERS%20OF%20CYCLING.pdf

Also it seems SCR'ing has been around for quite a few years as scorching :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ride need a new chainring, only requirements are that it be 46 tooth and a 110mm BCD for a track chain... any ideas ladies and gents?
  • il_principe
    Isn't 110 BCD for Double/Compact rings? DotBike have some decent FSA ones.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Clever Pun wrote:
    biondino wrote:

goes rather hand in hand with this article from 1896!!!

http://bikeqld.org.au/attachments/20090706/THE%20DANGERS%20OF%20CYCLING.pdf

Also it seems SCR'ing has been around for quite a few years as scorching :lol:

I was really impressed with that! SCoRching, even.
  • il_principe
    My Decade Convert2 should be with me tomorrow WOOP WOOP.

Just have to swap the wheels, freewhweel, post and saddle from the Pearson and jobs a good 'un. I'm hoping chainline's not gonna be an issue, Decade reckon I'll be fine.

EXCITED!
  • il_principe
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Hooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The frame has arrived! I'm cutting the steerer tube and building the rest of the bike up tomorrow afternoon. The frame looks lovely, cannot wait to take her out for a spin.
  • lost_in_thought
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo

The frame has arrived! I'm cutting the steerer tube and building the rest of the bike up tomorrow afternoon. The frame looks lovely, cannot wait to take her out for a spin.

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?
  • il_principe
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?

Not until it's built young lady! I think the bosses are away tomorrow so I'll build it up and take some pics. Surprisingly the theme is Dlack/Red with touches of white. :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nice one Jash, so you'll be riding the new SS on Sat then ;)

Anyone know of a good & cheap London based frame painter?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:

No, I don't think so. The Prince won the vote and is better suited for laps of RP... I'd like to bring both but my domestique has resigned in a fit of pique.
  • lost_in_thought
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?

Not until it's built young lady! I think the bosses are away tomorrow so I'll build it up and take some pics. Surprisingly the theme is Dlack/Red with touches of white. :wink:

Wow, you're really pushing the boundaries with that colour scheme... ;)

Looking forward to seeing it!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    itboffin wrote:

I'm cheap and London based. What shade of creosote did you have in mind?
  • Oddjob62
    itboffin wrote:

Armoutex usually get good reviews