Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    biondino wrote:
    I had a comment along this lines of "nice bike, but you should upgrade the wheels", that's all!

Must have been someone who knew sod all about wheels because yours are far better than those most fixed gears rock/run/rub/palp.

Matthew
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Phil hubs are great, but a bit too bling for a bike left in public places - if you have secure parking then fine....

I went for Formula hubs (bearings cheap and easy to replace and my LBS recommends these for the local couriers - still last two years - I went in with Goldtech's in mind, but TBH, the Formulas are maint. free, and smooth), ACI stainless, laced to CXP 33's - bullet proof........
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    fossyant wrote:
    Phil hubs are great, but a bit too bling for a bike left in public places - if you have secure parking then fine....

Yeah, my bike's becoming more and more bling by the week, just splashed out on some sug75 cranks.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    Are single speed coloured chains any good? apart from looking cool 8) ?

if so which ones are the best to get?

• Oddjob62
    The KMC ones are pretty good.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    The KMC ones are pretty good.

+1
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm not sure about KMC these days, they've had some worrying QC issues. There's a long thread in Workshop (I think) about their chains breaking.

Also, I bought an 8 speed chain for the fixed along with some quicklinks or whatever KMC call them. Both the link supplied with the chain and the separate pair were so loose that they practically fell apart while wiggling them about between my fingers.

I emailed KMC pointing this out, and the reply I got said something along the lines of "our engineers are aware of the problem, but they should be ok". Dunno about anyone else, but I don't want to be riding a chain whose manufacturer only has enough confidence to say that it 'shouldn't' break.
  • Oddjob62
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm not sure about KMC these days, they've had some worrying QC issues. There's a long thread in Workshop (I think) about their chains breaking.

Interesting, the ones I've got are at least a year old so must be pre-problem.
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    Hi all,

Could anyone recomend a good replacemnet single speed chain for my specialized tricross single?

the current chain is a KMC Z-510HX which seems to have worn and is noisey.

thanks in advance :D:D:D

adam.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    wideboy wrote:
    Hi all,

Could anyone recomend a good replacemnet single speed chain for my specialized tricross single?

the current chain is a KMC Z-510HX which seems to have worn and is noisey.

thanks in advance :D:D:D

adam.

Miche track 1 1/8 perfect smooth clean and quiet
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    So, I discovered I have 165mm cranks on my fixie. They're Sugino 75, so a good make, but I'd been wondering why I just didn't seem to be able to get the power down, and up till now had assumed it was some kind of steel flex.

I'm 6 foot tall and 34" inside leg, so 165 is too short, right? Should I go to 170 or 172.5? I'm wary of pedal strike in the corners so don't want them too long (I have 175s on the roadie).

And I just have to change the cranks, right, not the chainring and BB?

Man I am such a noob.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    biondino wrote:
    So, I discovered I have 165mm cranks on my fixie. They're Sugino 75, so a good make, but I'd been wondering why I just didn't seem to be able to get the power down, and up till now had assumed it was some kind of steel flex.

I'm 6 foot tall and 34" inside leg, so 165 is too short, right? Should I go to 170 or 172.5? I'm wary of pedal strike in the corners so don't want them too long (I have 175s on the roadie).

And I just have to change the cranks, right, not the chainring and BB?

Man I am such a noob.

Hey Blondie,

Crank length is also designated by frame size - you may find that 170 + cranks are too long interfere with steering as your toe hits the front wheel.......

Be careful! I had to go with 165mm on my frame as it is a very steep geometry TT frame, similiar to a track frame geometry....if you are not striking the wheel now, I would leave it at 165 and go for a bigger gear. Track frames, like yours, are never going to feel like a road frame or perform the same way - the geo will push you forwards, so, don't try and make it feel liek the comfort of a road bike - you wind up with all sort of problem where you get pedal strike or toe strike.

Makes you work a bit harder too with a 165 crank! (fulcrums, levers and that!)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got 170's on mine but the frame is pretty damned big so it's no problem, you wont get much higher on track cranks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oddjob62
    Got 165 Sug75s on mine. Pretty much same height/leg as you and i've not noticed any issue. Already got a fair bit of toe overlap and the less change of pedalstrike the better imo so wouldn't really want any longer.
  • biondino
    Ah, fair dos. It's not a problem - I really enjoy riding it - but I was thinking that I'd enjoy it even more with a bit more leverage! I'll leave it as is for now, I think. Thanks for the advice, chaps.
  • biondino
    So, another one: I recently bought some chrome clips as for now, I've decided to stick with toeclips on the Jackson. However, the current pedals are some half-metal, half-plastic jobs that really aren't very pretty so I'd like any recs you have for attractive and reasonably priced pedals to which I can attach my new clips. Happy to consider second hand or spare ones any of you have, as long as they look pretty!
  • Oddjob62
    Not sure what your definition of "pretty" is, but i use MKS Streams with my power grips and they seem good to me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/MKS_S ... 360043406/
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    i don't think crank length makes much difference

It might even be an advantage to have a short crank on a fixie as you can spin faster and have more ground clearance

I am 6'2" and 34" leg and prefer 170 cranks
  • biondino
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Not sure what your definition of "pretty" is, but i use MKS Streams with my power grips and they seem good to me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/MKS_S ... 360043406/

They look fine, but I'm not crazy about the black bits. Do you think the track version, with toe clips. would be okay for commuting?
  • Oddjob62
    biondino wrote:
    Do you think the track version would be okay for commuting?

Can't see why not. TBH i'd be surpised if there's any noticable difference apart from the colour.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Do you think the track version would be okay for commuting?

Can't see why not. TBH i'd be surpised if there's any noticable difference apart from the colour.

track componentry often has minimal or no seals as they're never supposed to get wet. Don't know if that applies to these pedals.
    <a>road</a>
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I use the MKS Sylvan Quill pedals and half toe clips.....look like the old school campag racing pedals from the 60's.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-MKS- ... er-703.htm

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-MKS- ... -10678.htm

You can see them on "fixie" in my signature.....look kinda trick and are easy to get in and out of.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Right, rarely use this thread, but finally got the fixed wheels from under desk onto the bike, goodbye SS hello fixed! (bit scary on the downhill thismorning)

G
  • Oddjob62
    georgee wrote:
    Right, rarely use this thread, but finally got the fixed wheels from under desk onto the bike, goodbye SS hello fixed! (bit scary on the downhill thismorning)

G

Nice one. Couple of days and it'll be second nature.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    georgee wrote:

G

Nice one. Couple of days and it'll be second nature.

indeed, it's really increased my ability to spin faster

but downhils when you're knackered suck as it just makes you think you could be freewheeling while your legs are a blur
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oddjob62
    Clever Pun wrote:
    but downhils when you're knackered suck as it just makes you think you could be freewheeling while your legs are a blur

Yup agreed... whenever i get calf cramps it's always on the fast downhills :?
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Amazed how if you just thought of putting pressure through the pedals it was fine, but as soon as you started thinking the bike was controlling the legs it all started feeling a touch freaky.

now just to master stopping with the pedals in the right place to move off again.
  • Oddjob62
    georgee wrote:
    now just to master stopping with the pedals in the right place to move off again.

Just hit the front brakes, lift the back wheel and reposition them.
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    Ok, first question of what I'm sure will be many from me on here.

Just got an '09 Genesis Flyer with 48/18T freewheel.
    It has a flip-flop hub but I have no immediate intention of going fixed, but I would like the option of running a 16T freewheel for the rare days it's not blowin' a gale.
    Is it possible / safe to fit a freewheel onto the fixed side of the hub so that it threads on to the larger thread and bypasses the lockring thread?