Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    :lol:

Fancy popping into Mosquito bikes ce soir? I'm (hopefully) heading up there to gander at a frame before they close.

Mosquito are a Phil stockist as well...

If you do, could you see what their price for a high flange front Phil hub is pls?

Will try and remember to!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    OOOOOOOOOOH titanium...

tc1.jpg

But pricey.... :cry:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    But shiney!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    OOOOOOOOOOH titanium...

Haha... I've definitely spent too much time drooling over frames... knew that was from hubjub the second I saw it.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Oddjob, I think your front wheel is much prettier than the rear! Deep section black rims? Why don't you get "Hoxton Tosser" decaled on the down tube while you're at it? The rims will be heavy, prone to side winds and you'll look like a fakie :)

1. Liverpool St is as close as i ever get to E London so Hoxton means sod all to me.... I can put "Liverpool St Tosser" if that will make you happy.... but i don't think that's got the same impact.
    2. 30g difference per rim (compared to the open sports on the front)... i'm sure i can live with that. My toolkit weighs more than that.
    3. My big body is more likely to be affected by side winds.
    4. "look like a fakie"... haha... you've obviously not seen me. I barely look like a cyclist.

Thank you for taking my abuse with rather more grace than I deserved :oops:

I want a mountain bike. Maybe another Focus as I <3 them and can get them on C2W. Though part of me thinks I should actually try, you know, riding one off road for the first time ever before committing...
  • Oddjob62
    biondino wrote:
    Thank you for taking my abuse with rather more grace than I deserved :oops:
    Abuse? Hahah... i must be spending too much time on LFGSS... i thought you were flirting with me :P
  • il_principe
    Oddjob62 wrote:

Fancy popping into Mosquito bikes ce soir? I'm (hopefully) heading up there to gander at a frame before they close.

If you do, could you see what their price for a high flange front Phil hub is pls?

He reckoned around £230.

Well the Convert2 is a lovely frame, reckon I'm sold. Time to get speccing! Gonna drop the fella in Mosquito a line tomorrow and see what he comes up with. They had some lovely bikes in there, a few IF's and a lovely looking Pegoretti.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:

He reckoned around £230.

Well the Convert2 is a lovely frame, reckon I'm sold. Time to get speccing! Gonna drop the fella in Mosquito a line tomorrow and see what he comes up with. They had some lovely bikes in there, a few IF's and a lovely looking Pegoretti.

RIGHT, damn it, as soon as I'm back I'm going. Grrr.
  • Oddjob62
    He reckoned around £230.

230 for one hub?? :shock: Sure that wasn't for a pair?

Pair that's a very good price. For a front that's crazy as they are 140ish at Hubjub

Cheers for asking though.
  • il_principe
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    He reckoned around £230.

230 for one hub?? :shock: Sure that wasn't for a pair?

Pair that's a very good price. For a front that's crazy as they are 140ish at Hubjub

Cheers for asking though.

Must've meant a pair!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah he must've - here's the front hub for £92:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... ncy&id=GBP
  • Oddjob62
    Spent friday evening playing around with my setup. Changed the chainring from a 46 to a 42 with the same rear cog (so. I'm a natural grinder, carp at spinning fast, and and reasonably high cadence for any length of time gasses me quick so i thought this would do me some good. Man i hate it... but in a good way (i guess). Gonna stick with this for a few weeks and hopefully when i go back to my old ratio (or maybe a touch higher) my sprinting should have improved.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Spent friday evening playing around with my setup. Changed the chainring from a 46 to a 42 with the same rear cog (so. I'm a natural grinder, carp at spinning fast, and and reasonably high cadence for any length of time gasses me quick so i thought this would do me some good. Man i hate it... but in a good way (i guess). Gonna stick with this for a few weeks and hopefully when i go back to my old ratio (or maybe a touch higher) my sprinting should have improved.

I did a similar thing with my gearing recently, due to buying some second-hand wheels... only had a freewheel 16t, so have been spinning everywhere in 46/16, and just gone to a halfway house between this and my usual 46/14... so I'm currently on... wait for it.... 46/15!

So far good, but hopefully once the new chain arrives it'll be silky smooth.

I'm now having an indecisive moment on the Lincolnshire Poacher... I'd really like something with rack mounts.

Can frames be drilled for rack mounts? Is that possible?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Oddjob62
    I'm now having an indecisive moment on the Lincolnshire Poacher... I'd really like something with rack mounts.
    :roll: here we go again.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    :roll: here we go again.

I know, I know, I'm hopeless.

Also, much as I'd like to build a tarty pretty bike, what I really need is a practical runaround that can take the abuse I give it.

Gah. I am so lame.
  • Oddjob62
    SaschaMojtahedi-1.jpg

oh no, sorry........ it doesn't have rack mounts :p
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    SaschaMojtahedi-1.jpg

oh no, sorry........ it doesn't have rack mounts :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

But that front wheel is like totally rad, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    LiT, How much stuff are you looking at carrying? I've got one of theseon my commuter. You can get your tools and a jacket in without effort but there are larger ones Or my colleague uses one of these as it will take A4 files
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I'm now having an indecisive moment on the Lincolnshire Poacher... I'd really like something with rack mounts....Also.... I'd like to build a tarty pretty bike, what I really need is a practical runaround that can take the abuse I give it.

It should also be suitable for time trials, light touring, towing a trailer and should cost under 500 quid :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    vorsprung wrote:
    I'm now having an indecisive moment on the Lincolnshire Poacher... I'd really like something with rack mounts....Also.... I'd like to build a tarty pretty bike, what I really need is a practical runaround that can take the abuse I give it.

It should also be suitable for time trials, light touring, towing a trailer and should cost under 500 quid :lol:

I'm prepared to sacrifice SOME prettiness for the practicality side...
  • lost_in_thought
    This I like... looks like a good compromise between style and practicality, and it's available at a great price at my favourite online bike shop!

76a7e79eb3ffd520f25f81e6a2f14766.jpg

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=114837
  • Oddjob62
    Rack Mounts?
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Rack Mounts?

Shut it. :lol:

No, it hasn't, but won't look quite so dreadful with a p-clipped one as the Poacher would have done!

I've actually finally realised that I can go onto the Giant website and look at the Bowery geometry, and it is indeed too big.
  • lost_in_thought
    OK, OK....

So, this frame has raack and guard mounts, and is still (I reckon) very pretty...

YKBK__MD_big_big.jpg

YK_BKDT2_M_big.jpg

YK_BKDT_M_big.jpg

Only problem is that it ain't cheap!
  • il_principe
    :shock:

UGLY!
  • lost_in_thought

UGLY!

:lol::lol:

It seems pretty much a given that if I like it, you won't!
  • il_principe

UGLY!

I like the Ritchey frame!
  • lost_in_thought

UGLY!

But not the Ti Van Nicholas... Interesting!

What don't you like about it?
  • il_principe

UGLY!

But not the Ti Van Nicholas... Interesting!

What don't you like about it?

Where to start?
    Silver silver silver = Yuck
    Decals colour = Yuck
    Decal font = Yuck
    Van Nicholas = An awful name for a bike mnfctr. Sounds like a tribute act, or a "clever" meedja name for a new range of builders vans.

The Burls is nicer.