Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

1808182838486»

Comments

• Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    I tend not to put much stock in esoterica such as 'efficient drivetrains'. When it comes to KOMs up punchy climbs on fixed/SS, surely the main factor is the fairly binary choice you face (as there is no option of choosing a comfortable gear to spin) between powering up it spreading awesome in your wake, and a slow and painful grind? Although I did have a guy tell me the other day that fixed imparts more momentum on climbs, again I have my doubts whether this is actually of much benefit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    I tend not to put much stock in esoterica such as 'efficient drivetrains'. When it comes to KOMs up punchy climbs on fixed/SS, surely the main factor is the fairly binary choice you face (as there is no option of choosing a comfortable gear to spin) between powering up it spreading awesome in your wake, and a slow and painful grind? Although I did have a guy tell me the other day that fixed imparts more momentum on climbs, again I have my doubts whether this is actually of much benefit.
    I got all my hill PBs in the surrey hills when i was riding a standard with 11-25 on the back.

I went to Flanders so stuck a 12-30 on the back, and a couple years later stuck on a compact as I was never using anything lower than the 13 sprocket and I never got close to those PBs again.

I also got a lot faster on my SS when I stuck 48x16 on it (a significant increase in gear inches).

Correlation or causation, you decide.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    i do believe its down to being forced to pedal a smooth cadence to maintain a consistent pace
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Went out for a solo spin after today's club ride and clocked 2 PBs, slight up hill 3% avg over a mile
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    itboffin wrote:
    Went out for a solo spin after today's club ride and clocked 2 PBs, slight up hill 3% avg over a mile
    In this context does “PB” stand for “Pie Break”? :P
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • itboffin
    mmmm pie
  • itboffin
    Now that is one MASSHOOF ring

D6BvMzlW4AAv78d.jpg:large

Is that fork the wrong way around?

:lol:
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Dolan track matey, do eeeeeetttttt

Now if i can just find a track rear wheel that weighs less than a boat anchor that would be great

Was looking at an FXE yesterday. It's nice. And cheap. Does it take a rack?

That newer model has a rear brake and mounts for racks, mine is the original track so no brake or mount points.

Meh, but 25mm max tyre clearance. If you're they're going to bother with mount points then why not give space for 32s at the same time.

Condor Tempo however...
    Fixed. Mudguards. 32s or 28s with guards. Disc fork if that's your thing. Rear (rim) brake mount.

though I'm pondering selling mine as I've really not commuted on it (or even by bike) for ages :oops:

Back in the day I wanted to do the same, but when I walked into the shop, they refused to sell me Tempo with a disc fork, I think the reason was head tube was not designed for the shear. I wish you was selling your bike before I put together my Genesis!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    My hot take that upsets people but I know is 100% right is that 28s and 32s are overrated.

Thank you for your time.

Buy the Dolan and stick on 25s
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Change of plan. I bought a Dolan, but it was the ADX rather than the FXE.

Edit: Agreed on the tyre sizes though. Anything above 25mm is just for CX.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX