Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The Lagers are quite nice though! Like the Charge Plug. Aesthetically pleasing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I quite like this:

1208-3521-full-2000_1300_s9cut_221_1-50.jpg

Without the stoopid bars, obv.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with these SE LAger bikes? Way to saturate the market...

LiT's would you like me to build you a custom fixie? you pick the parts etc i'll put it together for you.

One thing i've noticed about all the store bought FGSS is the components are pretty damn cheap.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    On-one still doing Pompinos frames for £125, better still look at this beauty:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/T ... acher.html
    <a>road</a>
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:
    I quite like this:

1208-3521-full-2000_1300_s9cut_221_1-50.jpg

Without the stoopid bars, obv.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with these SE LAger bikes? Way to saturate the market...

LiT's would you like me to build you a custom fixie? you pick the parts etc i'll put it together for you.

One thing i've noticed about all the store bought FGSS is the components are pretty damn cheap.

ITB, that's so, so nice of you! :D

However, part of what I would really like to do is learn how to do stuff myself, a fixie is a pretty simple machine, apart from moving very stuck sprockets I can do a fair bit already so it doesn't seem too daunting... but I may well pick your brain for advice! :D

Having read a few reviews of the Cutter it's rather a heavy machine...
  • lost_in_thought

OMG that's stunning... I love it.

That may well be on the 'thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought' before long...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

That may well be on the 'thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought' before long...

Wow that is nice and a good price too, usually a paint job like that would set you back £200+ I wonder how much it weighs?

Edit: 2.8kg :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Yeah, that paintwork looks just like my Soma. If it is, then it's lush. No fancy lugs on mine though
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62
    Picked up the matching tyres today, so....

carly3.jpg

Need a new seatpost, this one's from my old (early 80s) Raleigh, and front wheel is waiting for an upgrade, but apart from that she's pretty much complete :)
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:

Wow that is nice and a good price too, usually a paint job like that would set you back £200+ I wonder how much it weighs?

Edit: 2.8kg :oops:

Is that good? Bad?
  • Oddjob62
    Is that good? Bad?

If you're gonna insist on loading it with rack and panniers then it won't make much difference ;)
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Is that good? Bad?

If you're gonna insist on loading it with rack and panniers then it won't make much difference ;)

He makes a valid point... I'm also planning to load it with myself... :)
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Picked up the matching tyres today, so....

carly3.jpg

Need a new seatpost, this one's from my old (early 80s) Raleigh, and front wheel is waiting for an upgrade, but apart from that she's pretty much complete :)

Noice!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ooooh ooh ooh!

telaio_scratch.jpg

Me likey!
  • lost_in_thought
    Ooooh ooh ooh!

telaio_scratch.jpg

Me likey!

Noice!

I have a pathological fear of undrilled track-specific frames... :shock:
  • il_principe
    I think I've found the frame I want - It's this but in Black:

Convert2_Red_Hori.jpg

HTube_K.jpg

Stays.jpg

DTube.jpg

Looks very versatile - dropouts are replaceable so it can run geared, SS or Fixed. Just trying to see if anyone in London stocks it so I can go have a look. I fancy building one up with drops and some nice Campag kit.
  • lost_in_thought

Convert2_Red_Hori.jpg

HTube_K.jpg

Stays.jpg

DTube.jpg

Looks very versatile - dropouts are replaceable so it can run geared, SS or Fixed. Just trying to see if anyone in London stocks it so I can go have a look. I fancy building one up with drops and some nice Campag kit.

I looked at that...

What put me off is that it's set up at 130mm and has a converted to take it to 120mm - I couldn't clearly see how it would work, but thought it would probably be ugly!

I do like it in black though.

EDIT:
    The thinking mans fixed! Adaptability is the key with this unique new frame. The clever ‘Swopout’ replaceable dropouts mean that you can easily and quickly swap from vertical 130mm spacing to horizontal 120mm spacing for a track hub. This is not a twitchy, super tight angled, high BB track frame, it is designed to be totally useable and will take mudguards and a rack, a triple and mech or strip it right back and run it fixed.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! First the saddle then the shoes. I'm off to bury my bank cards!
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060

Convert2_Red_Hori.jpg

HTube_K.jpg

Stays.jpg

DTube.jpg

I looked at that...

What put me off is that it's set up at 130mm and has a converted to take it to 120mm - I couldn't clearly see how it would work, but thought it would probably be ugly!

I do like it in black though.

EDIT:
    The thinking mans fixed! Adaptability is the key with this unique new frame. The clever ‘Swopout’ replaceable dropouts mean that you can easily and quickly swap from vertical 130mm spacing to horizontal 120mm spacing for a track hub. This is not a twitchy, super tight angled, high BB track frame, it is designed to be totally useable and will take mudguards and a rack, a triple and mech or strip it right back and run it fixed.

The drop outs just bolt in and out you get both when you buy the frame. Upgrade will have these on the stand at Earls Court in October.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • il_principe
    EDIT:

Puts on pedant hat: Oh Olivia, I think you mean 'Website' not 'Webiste'

Ha!

Going to look at a frame tomorrow.
  • lost_in_thought
    EDIT:

Ha!

:lol::lol::lol:

He shoots, he scores!

What frame? The Decade?
  • Oddjob62

I'm assuming it's no different to respacing your hub using a couple of 5mm washers. Did that for my old raleigh that had 126mm spacing.
  • il_principe
    EDIT:

Ha!

He shoots, he scores!

What frame? The Decade?

Yeah. It's within budget and available. I'd love something more exotic like the Gios but this one does look tasty and *whisper I'm not a big fan of the really thin steel tube look so many of these bikes have... I know this will have me labelled as a philistine but there you have it!
  • lost_in_thought
    EDIT:

Ha!

He shoots, he scores!

What frame? The Decade?

Yeah. It's within budget and available. I'd love something more exotic like the Gios but this one does look tasty and *whisper I'm not a big fan of the really thin steel tube look so many of these bikes have... I know this will have me labelled as a philistine but there you have it!

Meh, it's all good... I like that Decade frame a lot, but was (perhaps unfairly) put off by the conversion thang.

Another issue is that I've now fallen in love (OK lust) with this:

frame.jpg

and its fancy lugs.
  • il_principe

frame.jpg

and its fancy lugs.

You see I dislike the way they've picked out those lugs, but it's bound to be a great frame.
  • lost_in_thought

frame.jpg

and its fancy lugs.

You see I dislike the way they've picked out those lugs, but it's bound to be a great frame.

Horses for courses, innit! :D

Mmmmmm lugs. You'll hate this:

bb-shell.jpg
  • il_principe
    It's the colours I object to.
  • lost_in_thought

Ahhhh, I see!

So my cunning plan to make it all red-and-gold would offend you?
  • il_principe

Ahhhh, I see!

Yes. Red and white = yes.
    Red and gold =

gold-camry-1_79kW8_7071.jpg
  • lost_in_thought

Ahhhh, I see!

Yes. Red and white = yes.
    Red and gold =

gold-camry-1_79kW8_7071.jpg

:lol::lol:

That is utterly horrendous... mine would be a lot more tasteful. Would be? Will be. There's no conditional tense needed here.
  • il_principe
    :lol::lol:

That is utterly horrendous... mine would be a lot more tasteful. Would be? Will be. There's no conditional tense needed here.

Ordered it have we?