Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    itboffin wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ill let you know. its interesting that you make that comment can i ask why?

Because of the mixed comments from other speedplay "users" personally I like the look and might use them, might...

I like mine enornously on long rides, wouldn't use them for the commute over SPDs though, clipping in and out is just that much slower.
    currently using them soley on my commute. Will probably change to them on my other bike in the winter when i buy my winter boots.

Speedplays take all the good points of SPDs and road pedals, combine them into one package and you have the speedplay pedal. Seriously they are that good
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I just don't find them as easy to clip in to as SPDs...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Since I geared up to 70 inches from 66 , it's strange, I seem to go uphill a bit faster

Getting out of the saddle on shallow hills the bike seems to fly up

It doesn't seem any slower on the very steep bits but it is faster and easier(?) on the easier hills

I didn't make any other changes to the bike, just the rear sprocket. Same tyres, same pressure, same amount of shite in the saddlebag
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You're going faster for every rotation, and tbh 66 is a bit mimsy for the flat so 70 actually will be making you keep a higher average speed. So when you hit the hills you'll be carrying more momentum, and if they're not too harsh you won't slow down all that much.

Also, because you know you've geared up, you'll psychologically be prepared to give it greater effort since you believe it will require greater effort. A virtuous circle!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Keep ya cleats lubed!
  • lost_in_thought

Keep ya cleats lubed!

I do, I do. They're not THAT hard to clip into, but nowhere near as easy as SPDs.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    vorsprung wrote:
    Since I geared up to 70 inches from 66 , it's strange, I seem to go uphill a bit faster

Getting out of the saddle on shallow hills the bike seems to fly up

It doesn't seem any slower on the very steep bits but it is faster and easier(?) on the easier hills

I didn't make any other changes to the bike, just the rear sprocket. Same tyres, same pressure, same amount of shite in the saddlebag

That's good to hear. I'm spinning out with 66.9 at the moment, so am going to up to 71 or so, but was worried about Brixton Hill. It'd be nice to carry some speed onto that bugger, but the traffic lights and one way system just won't let you. And it gets steeper the further up you get!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060

Keep ya cleats lubed!

I do, I do. They're not THAT hard to clip into, but nowhere near as easy as SPDs.

I use the speedplay frogs I find them really easy to get in and out of. I was a bit wary of putting them on the fixed but they're fine.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • lost_in_thought

Keep ya cleats lubed!

I use the speedplay frogs I find them really easy to get in and out of. I was a bit wary of putting them on the fixed but they're fine.

These are the Zeros... never tried the frogs!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    lardboy wrote:
    That's good to hear. I'm spinning out with 66.9 at the moment, so am going to up to 71 or so, but was worried about Brixton Hill.

Don't be. Brixton Hill only goes up about 20 metres
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Sodding seat post bolt died. Spent half my journey into work out of the saddle. Had to pop out at lunch to get a new one. Ahh well, easy fix at least.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    vorsprung wrote:
    lardboy wrote:
    That's good to hear. I'm spinning out with 66.9 at the moment, so am going to up to 71 or so, but was worried about Brixton Hill.

I guess a nice big cup of MTFU is needed.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    lardboy wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

I guess a nice big cup of MTFU is needed.

'king right I'm on nearly 80 and it's no problem. grit your teeth and you'll be flying up it except for all the sodding traffic lights
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    OK, OK, look here...

I am potentially being an idiot.

I looked at www.velodrome.org.uk for a new chainring, and was surprised at how much they cost, then noticed they have a whole 'track bikes' section.... and saw this:

precursa%20frame.jpg

It's only £270 for F+F, with the carbon fork, one of the geometries is good for me, although it would be a whole world of spacers with that head tube...

I'm in a quandary... do I replace the trusty Bowery with a new frame? Aaaaargh.
  • biondino
    Yeah, go on. Though it might be time to create something a bit special rather than a small upgrade...
  • Oddjob62
    snip

Just so you know I've just taken apart my Dolan Precursa (alu) and replaced it with a Soma rush (steel). Both very similar size / geometry / price, but the Soma feels a LOT nicer on the London roads, and I'm pretty much decided I'm going to stick with it. The Dolan might be better on the track as it's noticeably lighter, and you don't have to worry about potholes.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    snip

Just so you know I've just taken apart my Dolan Precursa (alu) and replaced it with a Soma rush (steel). Both very similar size / geometry / price, but the Soma feels a LOT nicer on the London roads, and I'm pretty much decided I'm going to stick with it. The Dolan might be better on the track as it's noticeably lighter, and you don't have to worry about potholes.

Interesting...

I use 26c tyres, and have no regard for potholes whatsoever... will 26c fit on the Precursa? And does it come pre-drilled for brakes?
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    Yeah, go on. Though it might be time to create something a bit special rather than a small upgrade...

Hmmmmmm. You may have a point, but I don't count replacing the frame as a small upgrade! I've already got new(ish) wheels... and new sprockets, and will soon have a new chainring... so the old Bowery's barely there any more!

Oh and if you're still up for selling those bars, I really would like to buy them!
  • Oddjob62
    Interesting...

I use 26c tyres, and have no regard for potholes whatsoever... will 26c fit on the Precursa? And does it come pre-drilled for brakes?

No rear brake, I THINK the supplied fork comes drilled for front brake, but my one didn't come with the standard fork so...
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

Hmmmmmm. You may have a point, but I don't count replacing the frame as a small upgrade! I've already got new(ish) wheels... and new sprockets, and will soon have a new chainring... so the old Bowery's barely there any more!

Oh and if you're still up for selling those bars, I really would like to buy them!

Yep, they're yours - I'll try and remember to bring them along next time I see you (feel free to remind me).

Well, no, replacing the frame isn't a small upgrade, but I can't tell you how happy I am with the Bob Jackson. The frame was £345 new, and it's a beautiful, light, springy but stiff bike that's a joy to ride. And it's a bit special. Which, I guess, may be entirely not the point of a hack bike!
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Yep, they're yours - I'll try and remember to bring them along next time I see you (feel free to remind me).

Well, no, replacing the frame isn't a small upgrade, but I can't tell you how happy I am with the Bob Jackson. The frame was £345 new, and it's a beautiful, light, springy but stiff bike that's a joy to ride. And it's a bit special. Which, I guess, may be entirely not the point of a hack bike!

I know, that's the thing! I definitely don't want a carbon fixie, because if I can't have my panniers I'll suffer... it's meant to be a hack bike, but the Bowery is very heavy...

Here's some of my (warped) logic...

I definitely need a new chainring (£45), and also suspect a new BB may be in order (£20-ish up to £100).

Is it really worth my bolting new parts onto a heavy frame that's about 3cm too long for me? OK, sure, I'll still need the new parts, but once I put them on the bowery frame I probably won't be able to get them off... so a new frame kind of makes sense at this point rather than waiting...

I told you it was warped...
  • biondino
    Not warped at all! Flog the Bowery and buy a nice, sexy, light fixie that fits you. You can flog the Tifosi too if you need the £££ :)
  • Oddjob62
    What size frame are you looking for?
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    What size frame are you looking for?

The 52cm one... I've emailed the fellow to ask a load of questions...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    All a bit dull but

a) might it not be better value to flog the bowery complete on ebay and buy and OTS fixie?

b) if you like paniers (and I know you do as you've been one of the select few defending them against the courier bag wielding hoards) doesn't it make sense to go for a frame with braze-ons?

that said, I do like the way the Dolan looks .... :wink:
  • Oddjob62
    I think the FXE is VERY similar, but with rack mount points

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/product ... 604-6.html
  • lost_in_thought
    jedster wrote:
    All a bit dull but

a) might it not be better value to flog the bowery complete on ebay and buy and OTS fixie?

b) if you like paniers (and I know you do as you've been one of the select few defending them against the courier bag wielding hoards) doesn't it make sense to go for a frame with braze-ons?

that said, I do like the way the Dolan looks .... :wink:

No, don't apologise! It's just this sort of clear thinking that I need...

a) Hmmm, perhaps. I was thinking more along the lines of storing the bowery away as an 'in case of emergency' complete frame, or something. I'm too lazy to sell things on Ebay! Furthermore, I like my new wheels, and I'd rather not go through the whole palaver of getting another bike how I like it when I've done that with this one.

b) You're right. Any suggestions with braze-ons for panniers?
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    I think the FXE is VERY similar, but with rack mount points

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/product ... 604-6.html

But I don't like blue...
  • Oddjob62
    But I don't like blue...

Oooh we are fussy aren't we :p