Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Clever Pun That's a beautiful looking machine.

Where did you get the frame? Did you have to have it resprayed at all?

Look forward to seeing it on Jamaica Road in due course...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Lbaguley wrote:

ebay for the frame it had already been powder coated.. I want the lugs highlighted

itboffin... how'd you figure that out?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Very nice Clever Pun! Chain is slack though. :)

Matthew
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Very nice CP very nice indeed, like the tyres.

Lovely looking bike!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    That's just beautiful. Fortunate for the state of your tyres that you can slow down without using the brake.

Does anyone make white brake blocks?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Lbaguley wrote:

ebay for the frame it had already been powder coated.. I want the lugs highlighted

The angle of the pictures not straight but it does look like the Axle chain line is a tad wider than the BB it could just be a optical illusion, is it?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Lbaguley wrote:

The angle of the pictures not straight but it does look like the Axle chain line is a tad wider than the BB it could just be a optical illusion, is it?

urm yeah?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    1-2mm chainring spacers work perfectly, cheap too
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    1-2mm chainring spacers work perfectly, cheap too

front or back I'm a little confused
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Okay so from that pic i'd say move the chain ring out ie away from the BB 1-2mm by added spacers between the chain ring bolts, I'll post of pic of my hack in a mo (it's sitting by my desk in the dry :wink: ) I have loads of spacers on my mainline because I'm using el cheap O MTB cranks and a wide rear axle, doesn't look neat but it does work and it IS straight I spent rather too much time measuring axles BB chainrings n that stuff with digital calipers.

DSC01528.jpg
  • itboffin
    909d81c43b5a49dda8786a85621db8d2.jpg

bacfc6ee1faa4a98a0235e4cd5bb9731.jpg

As I said some big spacers in there I think you only need 1 poss 2 mm you'd hardly even notice them and anyway my BB & crankset is fooked i'm going all Miche brakes and all 8)
  • Clever Pun
    ah.. I get ya, yeah I probably could do with something like that

what will happen if I don't? chain will wear out quicker?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:

no such luck old bean you'll just wear the bearings in your axle and BB quicker and and and you'll also increase the risk of the chain jumping off plus you lose the worlds smallest amount of power.

Edit: there is the remote chance that you're drive will also be noisy.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

no such luck old bean you'll just wear the bearings in your axle and BB quicker and and and you'll also increase the risk of the chain jumping off plus you lose the worlds smallest amount of power.

Edit: there is the remote chance that you're drive will also be noisy.

Nooooooooooo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Found this on Bike Snob NYC http://www.nabiis.net/news/news-tourdetaiwan.htm you don't have to read Taiwanese to enjoy the photos of these nutters on fixies undertaking the "Tour de Taiwan".
  • itboffin
    Gussio wrote:
    Found this on Bike Snob NYC http://www.nabiis.net/news/news-tourdetaiwan.htm you don't have to read Taiwanese to enjoy the photos of these nutters on fixies undertaking the "Tour de Taiwan".

Lost interest on the first page, sorry :lol:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    itboffin wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Lost interest on the first page, sorry :lol:

The Chinese characters are quite offputting, but it is worth hanging in there :wink:
  • itboffin
    In other FGSS news I popped on the new old wheels this morning jump on the saddle, jumped off the saddle had a little man weep and wobbled back into the house for a sit down.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    fitted my speedplays to my fixie today. never ridden them before in my life but my god they are good. I would go as far as saying they are the best pedal system out there (ive not ridden literally all of them but ive ridden SPDs, egg beaters, and looks).

WOW!
  • itboffin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    fitted my speedplays to my fixie today. never ridden them before in my life but my god they are good. I would go as far as saying they are the best pedal system out there (ive not ridden literally all of them but ive ridden SPDs, egg beaters, and looks).

WOW!

Interesting...

How will you feel in a couple of weeks.

keep us posted
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ill let you know. its interesting that you make that comment can i ask why?
  • itboffin
    spasypaddy wrote:

Because of the mixed comments from other speedplay "users" personally I like the look and might use them, might...
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Hello all... Just started posting here (although been signed up for a while).

Here's my baby

carly2.jpg

Although i've just got another frame to try out (Soma Rush) so might be posting a new pic by this time tomorrow :p
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • itboffin
    I've been looking for one of those Dolan frames for ages, please tell me that front wheel isn't really a zipp :shock:

Oh and tighten that chain :P
  • Oddjob62
    itboffin wrote:
    I've been looking for one of those Dolan frames for ages, please tell me that front wheel isn't really a zipp :shock:

Not all the time, just when i want some attention :p
    Actually it cost me less than my back wheel.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Because of the mixed comments from other speedplay "users" personally I like the look and might use them, might...

I like mine enornously on long rides, wouldn't use them for the commute over SPDs though, clipping in and out is just that much slower.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Although i've just got another frame to try out (Soma Rush) so might be posting a new pic by this time tomorrow :p

Well, as expected, just built up using the new frame. Feels much nicer (steel vs alu) and the paintwork is lush so probably going to be keeping with the Soma as my regular commuter. Only problem is, my current blue tyres don't go with the red frame, so gonna have to buy some new ones (simple vanity i know).... pics to be added shortly.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    itb - have you had a look on the ribble website ? they have a track frame for not alot that is very similar to the dolan (I think designed by terry dolan) so you could get one of those and some forks/headset at the same time.. I was tempted to do this a while back...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • itboffin
    edhornby wrote:
    itb - have you had a look on the ribble website ? they have a track frame for not alot that is very similar to the dolan (I think designed by terry dolan) so you could get one of those and some forks/headset at the same time.. I was tempted to do this a while back...

Already have one :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:

WOW!

Speedplays rock!