Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rustncogs wrote:
    Hiya,

I'm just hoping for a quick bit of advice, maybe someone can tell me if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with how easy I think this will be.

I'm currently commuting on my rigid MTB with skinny 1.1 slicks and a 9-speed Deore LX setup. It's really hard to restrain myself from buying a second bike, so to distract myself I was looking at giving SS a go, so here's what I think I need to do so far:

- Spend about £20-£40 on a DMR conversion kit or similar (i.e. sprocket, spacers and tensioner)
    - Take off rear mech, front mech, cables & shifter pods and cassette. Take off middle and granny chainring. Chuck all these in cupboard.
    - Keep 48t chainring on.
    - Fit sprocket and spacers.
    - Put 9-speed chain back on.
    - Fiddle with spacers until chain-line is dead straight.
    - Set chain tensioner.
    - Ride.

I know the existing chainring won't be ideal, but will it work? I don't want to wreck it, but I don't want to fork out for a whole new crank and chainwheel set.
    I thought maybe this setup would work ok with a BB mounted chain tensioner because it would wrap the chain around the chainwheel a bit more?

Thanks!

A

Sounds about right - just watch the chainline - get it right or it will make horrible noises and wreck the chain. Your chain is probably 3/32nds size - maybe worth getting a heavier duty 1/8th size if you are using a high gear (80" and above).

Above all, enjoy!
  • gtvlusso
    Grindy, Grindy - had to grind some material of my fork ends to fit MKK chaintugs this weekend - Grr! 5mm my arse!

Well worth it though for tensioning - but next time buy the big ones whatever size fork ends you have!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm long overdue a new SS frame but I have a couple of questions.

3. Dolan FXE or Ribble TT frame?
    The FXE is pretty much a track frame with bosses, the TT basic frame has lovely curves and is very lightweight.

Neither have clearance for mudguards and the ribble one looks like it only takes 20mm tyres :)

How about a Cotic Road Rat instead?
  • vorsprung
    I changed the cassette on my Orbea the other day

I now have a recycled 16 tooth spocket so I'll be gearing up from 42x17 (66") to 42x16 (70")

Anyone else gearing up now it's warmed up a bit?
  • gtvlusso
    Was considering 48/15 or 50/16 - but we'll see. I still have a few hills to get up to and from work......
  • KiwiSS
    KiwiSS Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

Does anyone want some Charge Racer handlebars? I changed them off my Racer and think it's a waste to toss them out.

Cheers
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    right on the way home this evening my chain tug flew off as i attempted to pull away from lights.

I dont normally ride with a ratchet or a 15mm spanner (apart from the one on my multitool) that can get the rear wheel up tight enough so it was difficult enough getting the wheel off and realigning it due to it locking up.

What can i purchase (preferably from evans) that i can attach to my bottle mounts preferably?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Handy with an angle grinder? Cut the (other) end off a 15mm ring spanner and reshape it as a tyre lever: A single tool that does what's necessary for a fixie.

Won't mash up your nuts like an adjustable or multi-tool. Can tighten with your foot, if you really want to clamp down...
    To fit your bottle mounts, drill two holes in the shaft to suit.

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    They should bring out a swiss army knife for fixie riders....:-)
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    spasypaddy wrote:
    right on the way home this evening my chain tug flew off as i attempted to pull away from lights.

I dont normally ride with a ratchet or a 15mm spanner (apart from the one on my multitool) that can get the rear wheel up tight enough so it was difficult enough getting the wheel off and realigning it due to it locking up.

What can i purchase (preferably from evans) that i can attach to my bottle mounts preferably?

I bought a pedros trixie from Chainreaction.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    vorsprung wrote:
    I changed the cassette on my Orbea the other day

I now have a recycled 16 tooth spocket so I'll be gearing up from 42x17 (66") to 42x16 (70")

Anyone else gearing up now it's warmed up a bit?

:D 42/18 to 42/16 on the Spesh. I may take it round my regular road route to see if I make it uphill... :shock:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • wgwarburton
    Feltup wrote:

No tyre lever. Pah!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Feltup wrote:

No tyre lever. Pah!

Cheers,
    W.

I quite like the look of this:

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/tools/3wrenchoraw

They had it up on the front page of BikeRadar a week or so ago - seems to be a slightly neater take on Surly's Jethro Tule...
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    If you have quality wheels and tyres you don't really need a tyre lever, just a strong pair of hands to roll the tyre off and I never use levers to put the tyre back on. (mitts or gloves are useful though to get enough grip)
    :D
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • wgwarburton
    vanquished wrote:
    I quite like the look of this:

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/tools/3wrenchoraw
    ... seems to be a slightly neater take on Surly's Jethro Tule...

That's the fella! If I'd seen that I'd probably have bought one instead of making mine.

Anyone seen a fakenger with one of these on a cord around his neck, yet? I reckon there'll be a sighting before the summer's out... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • defdaz
    defdaz Posts: 37
    Does anyone commute on a fixie / ss from bristol to bath? Just wondering what it's like riding a fixie on the hills (my mind says EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!)?

Thanks,

Daz
  • vorsprung
    defdaz wrote:
    Does anyone commute on a fixie / ss from bristol to bath? Just wondering what it's like riding a fixie on the hills (my mind says EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!)?

Thanks,

Daz

The cycle path has no hills. I don't live there. Is the path clogged up with horses and baby buggies first thing in the morning or someat?
  • gtvlusso
    defdaz wrote:

Thanks,

Daz

No worrries - I do all of Bristol in 48/16 and surrounding countryside - hard on Park St and Bridge Valley Road, but good elsewhere.

Bristol to Bath path is flat - I would go with a higher gear, 52 x 16 or something as it is so flat.

I have ridden it many times fixed - it is not a problem.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    On-one are doing Pompino frames for £99 at the moment which is quite frankly ridiculous
    <a>road</a>
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    On-one are doing Pompino frames for £99 at the moment which is quite frankly ridiculous

I wish you hadn't told me that ......
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

I wish you hadn't told me that ......

Oh dear God that is tempting, in white too!
  • itboffin
    Yup and I'd get that much for my Raleigh 531 steel frame on fleabay, mmmm new bike smell - yummy!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Don't forget, the £99 doesn't include forks.

Matthew
  • spasypaddy
    grrrr i cant justify buying it.... would be so nice but i have a fixed and i want it for training so theres no justification to buying it
  • itboffin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    grrrr i cant justify buying it.... would be so nice but i have a fixed and i want it for training so theres no justification to buying it

Do you have a pic of your ss/fg i've not heard of that make.
  • spasypaddy
    of course mate, here you go
    DSC00063.jpg
    ive just removed the mudguards for the 'summer'
  • itboffin
    Nice v nice, where did you get it from and is that steel?

I really like the fork rake, are they carbon?

an is that a jelly mould? :D
  • spasypaddy
    yeah its steel, from a shop called The Cyclestore in North London (Friern Barnet to be more precise).

Yeah carbon forks, need a little bit of comfort, do wish i'd got the steel forks (or the carbon forks that are shaped like steel) but these are good, just not as much clearance for the front guard as i'd like

also yes, thats a spaceman jelly mould. the pic is from when i got the bike last october
  • spasypaddy
    also i want to know how fast i need to be going to hit over 200rpm... i did 177rpm today at 35.7mph. Anyone know how to work it out?
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    also i want to know how fast i need to be going to hit over 200rpm... i did 177rpm today at 35.7mph. Anyone know how to work it out?

(35.7mph / 177rpm) * 200rpm

suggests you'd be doing 40.338mph at 200rpm

(simple equation, basically - speed is proportional to pedal revs - faster you pedal, the quicker you go, so divide known speed by known revs to get your gearing multiplication factor (speed at 1rpm), and then mutiply that by your target revs to determine ultimate velocity).
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5