Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    awesome thanks! Thought it would be simple like that but was also worried that it would be too simple!

Right now to find a hill long enough, and traffic free enough to hit that... Highgate hill at 3am here i come!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I rode the Bob Jackson again! Still need to adjust the seating position but with the bars higher and rotated upward/towards me they're MUCH more comfy. Still need to sort the brake mind. A fun ride! Even used the toe clips!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    biondino wrote:
    I rode the Bob Jackson again! Still need to adjust the seating position but with the bars higher and rotated upward/towards me they're MUCH more comfy. Still need to sort the brake mind. A fun ride! Even used the toe clips!

Just noticed the sig pic :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Now then.... if you have a sprocket held on with a lockring, and you've managed to get the lockring off, should the sprocket then just come off, or is it also threaded? If it's threaded, which way does it unscrew?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    It is threaded - it screws the opposite way to the locknut - I.e. gets tighter as you pedal forwards....!

Usually need a special tool - 2 or 4 pronged.....I made one using the ever trusty angle grinder and an old socket from a socket set....Mr cheap I am!

Will also come off if you jam it in a vice and twist the wheel.

Remember to use plenty of copper grease on the threads of the new one so that it does not seize onto the hub!

Good luck!
  • lost_in_thought
    Thanks!

*goes to get hammer*
  • gtvlusso
    Hammer and screwdriver often does the job too - watch ya fingers though!!!!

Last one I did I had to use the hammer trick - I have never sworn so much in my life.....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    With the GI LiTs runs and the speed she scalps people at the removal is going to be a bugger of a job.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oooooooooooooh pwitty:

YKBK__MD_big.jpg

And I've worked out how to make a picture a link... :D
  • gtvlusso
    Need plus fours and tweed......

And I would need to smoke a pipe and a Sherlock Holmes hat!
  • itboffin
    Mmmm track wheels, look at those hubs
    tw_track_v.jpg

x01_2057.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Anyone here used a KMC 8 speed chain with the supplied missing link?

I was trying to fit one on Saturday, but found the missing link is so loose it almost comes apart if you so much as look at it. The link is visibly wider than the chain, and requires practically no squeezing together to undo it. Having struggled to separate the 10 speed ones before this seemed very odd.

I thought the tension in the chain could hold it together, but really don't fancy finding out the hard way that it doesn't. Ended up just joining the chain back together with normal links, which leads to the next question: Are 8 speed links reusable?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yes they are reusable.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:

if I get a pipe, I've got the lot... what are you talking about?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    I've been riding my SS all week on the commuting run and here's some Internet FGSS cycling FACTs for you non believers

Hillyish route to the station (15 miles) avg 19mph
    London always in the 20s without fail
    Hilly route home (20 miles) avg 18mph

Net result everyone I pass in London looks like they're standing still, my cadence is massively improved, hills are possible you just have to MTFU but best of all I took the road bike out today and with no perceived effort matched my former 12 mile loop PB, in fact if anything I barely broke a sweat.

FGSS riding will make you and your family cool by association 8)

What was not cool was when I gave the chain a quick post London wipe down and the cloth plus my thumb went in-between the chain & the cranks piercing my thumb nail and causing much blood but of course me being so god damn hard I stopped crying almost immediately :D
  • gtvlusso
    Clever Pun wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

if I get a pipe, I've got the lot... what are you talking about?

Van Nicholas fixie pic on previous page supplied by LiT......bit random really!
  • lost_in_thought
    ITB, most people in London worth their salt are 'in the 20's' most of the time... sorry to burst your bubble! You must only see the fakengers... :wink:
  • itboffin
    ITB, most people in London worth their salt are 'in the 20's' most of the time... sorry to burst your bubble! You must only see the fakengers... :wink:

I'm creaming the hi-viz army sssshhh :lol:
  • spasypaddy
    right ladies/gents need a new rear wheel as i keep buckling mine. any suggestions?
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Halo make purple ones!
  • spasypaddy
    are the Halo wheels any good?

i want the strongest wheel, ignore money for now...
  • biondino
    I can officially post on this thread now! I can also officially agree that one gear IS all you need in London, though I still don't much fancy, say, Hyde Park Corner underpass much.

Bontrager Race Lite tyre - what do we reckon? They seem fine, roll okay (not on the same level as my Ultremos mind), although I had an amusing wet metal moment this morning where in the space of one yard I skidded on TWO slightly raised small metal covers just off Park Lane. Exhilarating!
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    I can officially post on this thread now! I can also officially agree that one gear IS all you need in London, though I still don't much fancy, say, Hyde Park Corner underpass much.

Bontrager Race Lite tyre - what do we reckon? They seem fine, roll okay (not on the same level as my Ultremos mind), although I had an amusing wet metal moment this morning where in the space of one yard I skidded on TWO slightly raised small metal covers just off Park Lane. Exhilarating!

They skid a lot more that conti & michelin but seem to be tougher PF wise and I should know :wink:

I'm actually thinking of trying the Ultremos shame they're so damn expensive, good TPI though.
  • biondino
    They are a dream tyre, though my rear Ultremo did cut up beyond safe use (in my mind at least - it started bulging around the bigger cuts) after just over 2000 miles. Never had a puncture, though.
  • highwaymunky
    highwaymunky Posts: 124
    Net result everyone I pass in London looks like they're standing still, my cadence is massively improved, hills are possible you just have to MTFU but best of all I took the road bike out today and with no perceived effort matched my former 12 mile loop PB, in fact if anything I barely broke a sweat.

FGSS riding will make you and your family cool by association Cool

Keep it up and you'll end up with legs like ocean liner pistons and the world will go whipping by.
    I'm creaming the hi-viz army sssshhh :lol:

:lol: Love that!
  • Clever Pun
    So as some of you may know my pista had a cracked frame, this has been replaced under warranty but now it's a 09 frame, I'm not sure I like the paint job as much :? so I went from this bike

CondorPista.jpg

to this one

DSC01523.jpg

least it doesn't have as many chips in :lol:

guess I'm just going to have to pimp it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    @cp I prefered the older scheme but there you go progress for you.

I managed to get the 14t FG sprocket off LiT old rear wheel i'm now contemplating an auction.

So any offers and one totally worn out 14t FG sprocket 'used' worn to buggery by our very own LiT :D
  • Clever Pun
    Well I had yesterday off and I got my Mills put together, and my first bar wrap job to... quite pleased with it.

DSC01526.jpg

I'm aware the chains a little slack, I tweaked a few bits after the photo was taken

DSC01527.jpg
    DSC01459.jpg
    DSC01528.jpg

It rides nice and smooth, looking forward to a nice dry day so I can go for a proper spin while desperately avoiding dirt
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Clever Pun The Mills looks great - that pastel blue paint job coupled with the white tyres make the lines look very, very smooth *drool*
  • itboffin
    Very nice CP very nice indeed, like the tyres.

Is your chain line ever so slightly out? :P