Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Attica wrote:
    The prevailing wind always seems to prevail in your face whenever cycling... :D

That's because you're riding faster than the wind LiT, you speedy thing you

Well if there's no suitable competition in the form of other riders, us players will take the next best thing.........NATURE!

otherwise known as the "Winter Commute" :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Re Nature - what of birds, horses, rabbits, non-descript stampeding animals - any points?
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Re Nature - what of birds, horses, rabbits, non-descript stampeding animals - any points?

All depends if their on a bike or a scooter! Bonus points if said animal is shaved :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Rewinding a bit, I feel I ought to stand proudly shoulder to shoulder with Bassjunkie and LiT and say that whilst I ride a Saddywagon on weekdays, come the weekend my Giant TCR 2 usually comes out for a spin.

Biondino, I'm disappointed in you, making such sweeping generalisations
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I trained it today. I don't like riding when it's soaking, especially since Specialized BG shoes - otherwise excellent - actually suck up water from their surroundings, and we all know what the dreading sopping shoes are like. Also my rucksack isn't waterproof. And I had some scripts to read which I couldn't do on the bike. Any more excuses needed or will that do for now?

No that will not do - your excuses are rejected! Buy some overshoes, a waterproof rucksack and get on ya bike! Scripts can be read in the time you saved by cycling into work.

Poor show biondino, poor show!

Unfortunately, I must concur.

Yep, I'm afraid I'm in agreement here too... Even a waterproof rucksack cover would do the trick...

God, you're harsh, you lot! I do have more excuses but it seems that kind of lily-livered whining holds no truck round here. However, it takes 5 minutes less to commute by bike than by train; I lose 30 minutes reading time when I cycle. So time saved for reading = minus twenty-five minutes.

Tell me - do you lot all enjoy pain as much in your, uh, private lives as you do on your commute? Just wondering the kind of people I'm meeting up with on Friday night and whether I should be scared/aroused...
  • biondino wrote:
    Tell me - do you lot all enjoy pain as much in your, uh, private lives as you do on your commute? Just wondering the kind of people I'm meeting up with on Friday night and whether I should be scared/aroused...

well.... when they get the chains and the skin tight gear out... It's NOT for the BIKE riding... that's all I'm going to say :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:
    I should be scared/aroused...

That would be for you to decide!
    Personally, I usually ride just below the point where it starts to hurt - until a scalping opportunity hoves into view that is, then it's no holds barred, lung bleeding all the way.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • think it depends if you like purple abominators near your ring and people getting excited ( I think that's what happens to GT when he types gnurk gnurk!) when looking at seatpost clamps!

Let me know if you survive and like it!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Woo hoo i caught my first scalp.

On the ride home last night on lower Richmond road a hybrid loomed into view ahead of me all tall and gate like with massive skinny wheels. I saw my chance to take a scalp from much higher up the food chain (I’m on a single speed mtb with knobbly tyres, And i have a clipped in, jeans and a beard. FCN 11) I powered up to top speed little legs spinning like road runner but desperately trying not to look like it hurt and smashed past him like he was standing still. Which when i come to think of it he virtually was as he pootled home gently. But he should have realised if you want to win the game get a slow bike and ride it fast not the other way around.

I think i may be addicted.

My name’s Huw and I’m in the game.

On a sad note though it was the last hurrah for the singlespeed as when i got home it was dismantled ready for its new home. RIP kileaua
  • It's OK, Litts is bringing along a non-cyclist... if it all gets too much you can talk about sane things with him!

And I still maintain that cycling in the rain = fun!

However, my cycle home last night carrying a rucksack, pannier bag and pannier rack (yes, pannier rack) on my back whilst being blasted sideways by random side winds was less fun...

I did manage to scalp a shaved roadie, she was a girl though so the shaving probably doesn't count... she did have obvious SPDs... hmmmm....
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Welcome Noobs, the drug that is the game has infected your veins and will be the monkey on your commuting back forever more!

Re, various talk of waterproof this and covers rucksack that, I find a carrier bag to put everything that needs to stay dry in seems to do the job fairly well.

AND as for anyone wanting to chase my tail, scalp my ring or purple my dominator (sorry i do get a bit confused now and then)...bring it ON!

I see the sun is starting to shine hopefully in time for my (ahem) casual ride home :twisted:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • It's OK, Litts is bringing along a non-cyclist... if it all gets too much you can talk about sane things with him!

And I still maintain that cycling in the rain = fun!

However, my cycle home last night carrying a rucksack, pannier bag and pannier rack (yes, pannier rack) on my back whilst being blasted sideways by random side winds was less fun...

I did manage to scalp a shaved roadie, she was a girl though so the shaving probably doesn't count... she did have obvious SPDs... hmmmm....

well first off I seem to remember Litt saying he was bringing along a network admin, just what we need the BOFH (google it.....) sitting in on us whilst we talk about gear inches, each other rings and how we regularly enjoy running ourselves ragged whilst trying to breathe through our tear ducts........at least we're not RLJ, pavement riding lunatics otherwise he might end up thinking us cyclists are a weird bunch :lol:

I also think you are quite qualified to spot obvious SPD's, you with your stealth sandals on! Heck you'd have to be a real anal bike nut to spot your SPD's (and your gearing) whilst riding past!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Littigator wrote:
    Re, various talk of waterproof this and covers rucksack that, I find a carrier bag to put everything that needs to stay dry in seems to do the job fairly well.

Agreed, passed a couple of guys in head to toe waterproofs this morning and wondered what the point was. Just get wet, change at work, avoid layers of hot clothing. I am thankful that my vintage Chelsea home kit circa 1996 is an ultra quick drying technical fabric.
  • Littigator
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am thankful that my vintage Chelsea home kit circa 1996 is an ultra quick drying technical fabric.

GAAH! Watch out we've got someone suffering from footballitis on here!

• Sewinman
    Littigator wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am thankful that my vintage Chelsea home kit circa 1996 is an ultra quick drying technical fabric.

GAAH! Watch out we've got someone suffering from footballitis on here!

What is that when its at home (or away)!?
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Agreed, passed a couple of guys in head to toe waterproofs this morning and wondered what the point was. Just get wet, change at work, avoid layers of hot clothing. I am thankful that my vintage Chelsea home kit circa 1996 is an ultra quick drying technical fabric.

Good man!
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

More importantly does this incur the -1 Team Kit penalty on the FCN :-D Or are we just restricting that to cycling team kits.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman

More importantly does this incur the -1 Team Kit penalty on the FCN :-D Or are we just restricting that to cycling team kits.......

Wow - big call there. I had assumed it was a 'baggy'. :shock:
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Definitely... allegiance to football must be punished! ;)

In other news, I'm going to Paris tomorrow and as ever will be using their brilliant free bike 'Velib' scheme to get around... I wonder what my FCN is on one of those? :twisted:

Des cuirs cheveleux? Scalps in french = not as snappy...
  • Citrusskies gives me an FCN on a velib bike as 14... bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :twisted:
  • biondino
    It's going to feel weird pushing, ooh, 30 gear inches on one of those monstrosities (which I also love - must have used a velib about twenty times already this year, and I don't feel one bit guilty for not wearing a helmet, which is odd but there you go). You should get some decent scalps though, mainly from elegantly dressed women with FCN 13 shimmering along at 5mph...
  • That's a very nice system Litts, I'd not heard of Velib before. Super. We need it.

But the bike has a dashboard
    3380184.jpg

and looks seriously ugly and slow.
    velib-paris_4.jpg

Mind I reckon any regular user will have developed Romero legs so watch your back!

I wonder if the lights, chains and tyres are in good shape.. the non QR seat would do my nut in!

FCN 14, aren't they ss? teehee
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Actually, they have gears! But only the highest one is of any relevance...

And I'll be suited and booted - I use them for travel from meeting to meeting, then out for dinner in the evening!

You do often get ones with flats, but they repair them so regularly that it's not a real issue.

And Romero legs? Not on one of those... most of the frenchmen riding them do so whilst yakking into a mobile and smoking! Vive la France!

:D
  • biondino
    The saddles are terrible (maybe better if you're a woman, I don't know) - knobbly in all the bits they shouldn't be and vice versa! But they're not for long rides, and the gearing is so soft your muscles actually atrophy when you're riding, despite the fact they weigh as much as Alaska. Wonderful things.
  • biondino
    It's just occurred to me how it's going to be a bit weird sharing drinks with men who have shaved their legs. A bit, I dunno, creepy ;)
  • Hahaha! I did find chatting with blokes about hte relative benefits of the epilator a bit weird!

And the velib saddles are rubbish if you're trying to go at any speed - just way too wide.

But they're not designed for that, to be fair.
  • I must have had the wind behind me today as I felt like I flew home :-) As it's only a 2 1/2 mile ride I don't usually hold back but even on the big bike I was just having fun and felt like I was really shifting, only problem was the brakes squeal and I cba to fix em!

Racing cars and buses can be a bit annoying tho, but I did get a wonderfully clear road and most of the lights where green to! The only action I saw all day was a very wet and I'd guess normally fair weather cyclist on the way in. I blasted past him and then he tried to get ahead at the next red light. It changed as he was pulling past and I just dumped him :-) He managed to catch up after I had a 10 second breather at the next red light's but I think by this point he realized it was pointless edging ahead and he stayed behind me. It was a hollow victory as on the hybrid I feel a bit like a wolf in sheep's clothing!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I was a bit later today, but that meant I saw more cyclists. Well, two.

Amazaingly the first admitted defeat before I had started. I was at the junction as he went past. I took a while to get out so I put the foot to he floor to catch up which I did as we approached a red light. It goes green and I think 'Im a gent, I'll let him get to his race pace before I drop him' So I make a slow start giving this guy the opportunity to gather momentum. Next thing I know he is waving me past!

After this non-race (it wasnt a race in the first place :-) There on the horizon is a hairy roadie, he's got a rucksack but that doesnt matter, Ive got a beard. There is a bit of catching up to do so off I go. I catch and take him in no time and reach the next set of lights some way off. His dissapointment is expressed by pavement jumping to the front of the lights whilst I wait in traffic. I tried to catch him again to 'tut' at him as I pass but he turns off.

A busier day thatn normal.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator
    Was it just me or did anyone else get blown to an almost standstill in the Millbank WT last night?

As for this morning, quite the opposite, as not only did I have the wind behind me, I think someone had fitted a motor to my rear wheel. This may have been helped by finally pumping up my tyres to their proper psi...They had somehow drifted down to (cough) 70psi.

By half way in I was actually out in the right hand lane overtaking other cyclists and keeping pace with the cars etc....a truly scalptastic journey

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Looks like the sun brought out the fair weather roaides again: much more activity on the roads this morning.

Lot more traffic too. As a result, there was a lot of posturing until after Albert Bridge, when I took two hairy roadies. Got to Vauxhall Bridge and ended up at the front at the lights. A Spesh is next to me (a nice one too, sir; well done). Then I take my eye off the ball and dawdled away from the lights. And it showed. The Spesh next to me has gone before green and two roadies pass me in quick succession. What really miffs me though is the way one of them, who's riding a Condor, cuts right in front of me, just before I hit two drains. I mutter a few words at him. That's irritated me now and I give chase. Both are caught before Lambeth Bridge roundabout. But then Condor Man goes by as we're filtering into Parliament Sqaure. He then cuts in front of the chap on the Spesh. Bike handling skills are not this chap's forte. And then he jumps a red. Not good. I go by again going round P. Sqaure, but he turns off down Whitehall.

I'm still narked going down Embankment. I get to the lights at the junction with Horseguards still wondering whether I should expressed my anger more audibly. And then I spot him and the other roadie who passed me turning onto Embankment from Horseguards.

Bingo, Stingo!

The lights go green and I hammer after them. I nab them both before Temple tube. Condor man then goes through a red and turns off. Poor form, but he's beaten and I'm redeemed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."