Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    I must admit, I am feeling a bit 'shouty' it's fair to say.

Beware all in my sights on my ride home

:twisted: mwah ha ha haaa haaaaa

Imagine the sparks if you and Greg66 crossed paths on the way home... :twisted: Smackdown City.

That would be very bad. For me.

Due (I think) to scrubbing around in the flowerbeds on all fours for most of Saturday trying (unsuccessfully) to fix the garden lights, I have f*cked my lower back (this is a recurring problem).

Riding in this morning was pretty unpleasant. Every bump in the road goes "zing!" into my lower back. Absolutely no way to put down serious power in a road position. No fun.

So although I will do what I can tonight, I don't expect it will be much. So glad I have adorned my reflectors with my FCN number. Excellent timing :roll:

quick, everyone get him... the target is still big, it's just easier to hit...

bonus points for anyone to say "Ohh my back" as they go past
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Littigator wrote:

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as hamrless as a network adminstrator can be.

Ooooh a non-cyclist..! Can we prod him with sticks?

Well I'm not going to talk to him.

*mutters to himself.

Now now, play nicely, we can all share the stick to poke him with and, No calling him names does not count as talking to him!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as hamrless as a network adminstrator can be.

Ooooh a non-cyclist..! Can we prod him with sticks?

Well I'm not going to talk to him.

*mutters to himself.

Now now, play nicely, we can all share the stick to poke him with and, No calling him names does not count as talking to him!

'Oi, Pedestrian!'
  • cjcp wrote:
    Surely you're not going to resort to the train?

Abso-bloody-lutely not. I had a bit of grief with it last year. I had to be helped off my bike when I arrived at work for a couple of mornings.

If it's so bad that I can't ride, I stay at home.

The only good part to it is the feeling as it gets better, of strength returning. In spades :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun wrote:

Anyone does that and I'll eviscerate them, even if doing so kills me...

Oh dear. This is going to be a tortured ride home.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

When are you leaving?

It'll be like the French taunters from the Holy Grail except that every time you try to catch up, we'll just power down and ease away, just beyond arm's reach. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'll try to make it but I'm coming back from a business trip on Friday so wont be on my bike. I say this in advance because I wouldn't want you to think that I'm an imposter you just posts random rubbish on cycling boards for kicks...

Protesting to much?

J
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Good stuff Jedster. You and I can wear our pinstripe and bowlers and stick our brollies in the fixies' spokes as they try and leave.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

When are you leaving?

It'll be like the French taunters from the Holy Grail except that every time you try to catch up, we'll just power down and ease away, just beyond arm's reach. :twisted:

I think perhaps I'll find a different route home this evening... :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Well, guess who I saw on tonight's commute home?...

Mr Littigator.

I can confirm that there is significantly more gas in his tank than the average commuter. Especially that RLJing little oik on the blue Giant. Whoever you are, red lights are not an opinion, you knuckle-dragging, donkey moron.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    That's Giant riders for you. Perhaps you've noticed my anti-Giant campaign on bikeradar?
  • biondino
    Just stopping for a second to let everyone know that the original Police Academy movie is on ITV at 10.50 tonight!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited September 2008
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Oi! It's now about 4 weeks worth of beard! It's an itchy uncomfortable pain in the ars*! Definitely counts!

(and if I can't play the beard card then it's worth pointing out that CJ and I should have the same FCN otherwise so it's STILL not a scalping)

Guilty conscience???

If you're still worrying about it I would argue that you may well have been scalped... beard or no beard...

With regard to the beard, it's worth pointing out, in Biondino's defence, that CP has some mightily impressive facial hair and even the Hairy Bikers look like spotty teenagers struggling to grow their "fluff" when compared to CP. In my world of slow facial hair growth, Biondino has a beard.

Why the stress! this can all be cleared up come this Friday wooohahaha......
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Littigator wrote:
    I'm in for beers and maybe curry as well, I have a pink pass all evening (HUZZAH!)

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as harmless as a network administrator can be.

Now now that's not the way we should treat future players of the Game, I bet you they/he/she leave wishing they'd cycled.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Busy day at work so not had a chance to relate this:-

rounding a corner this morning, I saw a couple of hundred yards ahead of me, a roadie, full tights so I don't know the state of his legs, but the fact that he was riding a gorgeous Colnago machine, I'm guessing he was more Duncan Goodhew than Duncan Banatyne.

I ramped up the speed and overtook him like he was standing still, the look on his face as I said "morning" was priceless.

He tucked in and drafted for a bit, then took the front, we both layed down some pain, but it was honours even. I couldn't shake him, nor him me.
    We passed the new show-your-speed-in-red-if-you're-speeding-green-if-you're-being-a-goody-two-shoes sign in Long Ashton at a steady red 31mph, me in the lead spinning out on my 69 inch tractor. (must work out what rpm that was*)

We parted ways, two Game warriors with a friendly wave, like world war one pilots, a truce...

...for now.

*Christs fat C**k, that's somewhere between 150 and 170 rpm depending on who you believe, means I was definitely going faster the other day on that daft downhill spinout as this was if not sustainable, certainly not a sprint, I'm getting faster all the time
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Where is everybody?! Oh I know it's raining, but still!

I like riding in the rain, makes me feel like I'm going faster... reduced friction between tyres and road? Victor, are you out there?

Or is it all just psychomological?

No scalps at all, nothing where I had to try anyway...
  • cjcp
    The rain is oddly refreshing. It also gives my cycling gear a wash :)

You're right - very few out today. Nonetheless, why would you want to get on any form of public transport when everyone on it is wet anyway and the carriages are steaming up? Yuk. Skanky.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nonetheless, why would you want to get on any form of public transport when everyone on it is wet anyway and the carriages are steaming up? Yuk. Skanky.

Agreed.

Alas, I have to get on the choob tomorrow... unless I can work out a way to attach my suitcase to my bike... any suggestions? :shock:
  • cjcp
    Nonetheless, why would you want to get on any form of public transport when everyone on it is wet anyway and the carriages are steaming up? Yuk. Skanky.

Agreed.

Alas, I have to get on the choob tomorrow... unless I can work out a way to attach my suitcase to my bike... any suggestions? :shock:

Bungy cord. And go slowly.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    Gorgeous clear skies here, huge puddles in the road but a definite dry line.

Got a strange feeling that the ride home won't be as kind
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Cold and clear here this morning. Even got myself a rare scalp! It was just nice to see someone else on a bike...!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • biondino wrote:
    That's Giant riders for you. Perhaps you've noticed my anti-Giant campaign on bikeradar?

WTF?

I ride a Giant and can assure you I do stop for all the red lights I arrive at and on the whole don't ride like an a$$hole, as long as you don't count the serial scalping :-)

Also just to clear up this service taking 3 weeks issue - the shop I took it down to operates on a "first come first served" basis, so at the moment my bike is down there, probably sitting in the fetal position in the corner of the workshop, waiting to be looked at.
    Due to the buckled rear wheel it was actually ideal as I now don't have an un-rideable bike taking up valuable space in the house, especially as it's space in the hall is currently occupied by the wife's hybrid (I daren't hang it up as I don't have THAT much faith in the bike hoist!)
    It also appears I managed to bring it down right before the mechanics where on holiday so they had reduced manpower to get the work done :-( I'm hoping it's ready for Friday morning as I can then collect it on my way upto town and bring it along for the festivities!

As for this morning I was counting my lucky stars as I was only working 2 1/2 miles away from home so had a nice short ride in the wet, one worrying thing tho is that I'm now considering getting mud-guards for the road bike as it was quite nice getting in without a soaking wet ar$e this morning! Saw a set of rather minimalistic SKS's on a singlie yesterday so I think I'm gonna hit up wiggle to see if I can ID them! I just then need to get it authorised by the chief accountant....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp wrote:
    Nonetheless, why would you want to get on any form of public transport when everyone on it is wet anyway and the carriages are steaming up? Yuk. Skanky.

Agreed.

Bungy cord. And go slowly.

Hmm difficuly choice there, brave public transport or risk being scalped by doing this "riding slowly" thing.......having never tried the latter option I can't really comment on which is best!
    My suggestion would be a new bag and stuff all the stuff in the suitcase in that, or gaffa tape it to your back :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:

He tucked in and drafted for a bit, then took the front, we both layed down some pain, but it was honours even. I couldn't shake him, nor him me.

This is the problem when you're closely matched. Unless you get out of the saddle and unleash a mighty sprint (against the spirit of The Game, I believe), you're unlikely to ride them off your wheel. The other extreme is to resort to some form of track racing stylee, with both of you doing track stands on the road side, waiting for the other to make their move.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The other extreme is to resort to some form of track racing stylee, with both of you doing track stands on the road side, waiting for the other to make their move.

That would be hilarious! Can you imagine? :lol: If my trackstands ever get good enough I'm going to recruit one of you lot and do that.

Bungee cord? Riding slowly? Gaffer tape? Interesting... the case has wheels you know... I wonder if they'd withstand a 20mph run in to work... makeshift bike trailer?? :D

And OI! Giant riders are OK... I happen to be one myself now you know... How rude.
  • The other extreme is to resort to some form of track racing stylee, with both of you doing track stands on the road side, waiting for the other to make their move.

That would be hilarious! Can you imagine? :lol: If my trackstands ever get good enough I'm going to recruit one of you lot and do that.

Bungee cord? Riding slowly? Gaffer tape? Interesting... the case has wheels you know... I wonder if they'd withstand a 20mph run in to work... makeshift bike trailer?? :D

And OI! Giant riders are OK... I happen to be one myself now you know... How rude.

HAHA! I knew there was another Giant rider on here! I would mount a campaign against people who ride Focus's (if that's the correct plural for Focus riders......) but can't bring myself to do that as I'd quite like a Cayo :-D Of course that would mean being able to justify to the wife the need to drop 1K on a bike, or move to an employer that does the Bike2Work scheme!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    cjcp wrote:
    The other extreme is to resort to some form of track racing stylee, with both of you doing track stands on the road side, waiting for the other to make their move.

You could end up hours late for work.

"sorry I'm late for work, I got into a trackstand face off and honour had to be upheld!"
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    The other extreme is to resort to some form of track racing stylee, with both of you doing track stands on the road side, waiting for the other to make their move.

"sorry I'm late for work, I got into a trackstand face off and honour had to be upheld!"

:lol:

Not necessarily - the same 30 second rule should apply.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Attica wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Best... excuse... ever...!

My boss would be rather like this: :shock:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    V funny thread. I am inspired.

Got very wet this morning, my trainers were actually full of water at one point. I felt pretty hardcore as there seemed to be few other cyclists about. Hardcore vibes were swiftly dispelled by being wolf whistled by female colleagues as I pulled up at work. :oops:

Tomorrow will be the start of my points haul!