Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    You and I can wear our pinstripe and bowlers and stick our brollies in the fixies' spokes as they try and leave.

Good thinking Biondino but is it a bit harsh to do it to all of them? Perhaps we could just penalise the silliest handlebars and the tartiest rims?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ooh, get you

Wanting to penalise my rim

And I hardly know you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    cjcp wrote:
    Well, guess who I saw on tonight's commute home?...

Mr Littigator.

I can confirm that there is significantly more gas in his tank than the average commuter. Especially that RLJing little oik on the blue Giant. Whoever you are, red lights are not an opinion, you knuckle-dragging, donkey moron.

It was quite hilarious, both of us trying to maintain a normal conversation at near threshold (but I wasn't trying) levels whilst overtaking most mere mortals in our paths!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Ride in this morning was rather wet and slippy. It's easy to forget the difference it makes eh. I was quickly reminded when a car stopped in front of my and it was only the mental wall of panic projected forwards from my brain that stopped me in time...something like that anyway.

A few scalps, but with the weather getting wetter the cycling traffic slackens off to leave only the nutjob hardcores...i.e. US!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • I'm getting quite jealous of all you lot on Embankment, there are so rarely any viable targets on my commute... even fewer when it's raining. Maybe I'll move to Wapping... going the wrong way, but I work in the west!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Giant are the Microsoft of the biking world. But if you're happy with them, that's all that matters!

/patronising :)

I trained it today. I don't like riding when it's soaking, especially since Specialized BG shoes - otherwise excellent - actually suck up water from their surroundings, and we all know what the dreading sopping shoes are like. Also my rucksack isn't waterproof. And I had some scripts to read which I couldn't do on the bike. Any more excuses needed or will that do for now?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Well, guess who I saw on tonight's commute home?...

Mr Littigator.

I can confirm that there is significantly more gas in his tank than the average commuter. Especially that RLJing little oik on the blue Giant. Whoever you are, red lights are not an opinion, you knuckle-dragging, donkey moron.

It was quite hilarious, both of us trying to maintain a normal conversation at near threshold (but I wasn't trying) levels whilst overtaking most mere mortals in our paths!

You were near threshold, were you? You should have said; I would have eased down.

Yeah, in my dreams. I was pushing 24-25mph into the Wind Tunnel of Hell along Millbank when I spotted you behind me and I would have been seeing stars if I'd tried any harder. It's for times like that that I don't have the zone alarm on my HRM, otherwise it would have been making more noise than an air raid siren.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Sorry - quick hijack of the thread to say that my club is hosting an open Hill Climb on 4 October. It's on Leith Hill. Any of you chaps/ladies interested? Come on, there must be some mountain goats/suffer monkeys out there :twisted:

Check out the link below:

http://www.kingstonwheelers.com/news.shtml
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Went up Leith Hill the other day, slowly and painfully. Was doing about 30rpm in 34/27 on the steep bits. I am crap on hills, though admittedly it was only the second of the six substantial north downs hills we managed during our ride, so I was, uh, pacing myself. Yes.
  • cjcp
    Sewinman wrote:
    V funny thread. I am inspired.

Got very wet this morning, my trainers were actually full of water at one point. I felt pretty hardcore as there seemed to be few other cyclists about. Hardcore vibes were swiftly dispelled by being wolf whistled by female colleagues as I pulled up at work. :oops:

Tomorrow will be the start of my points haul!

Sewinman - our usual welcome wagon man, Greg T, appears to be AWOL, so, erm, Welcome! Good effort on the wolf whistles, but don't get all gushy and allow this to distract you from The Game. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Did someone say Greg T was scheduled to have a baby over the weekend? No wonder he's AWOL...
  • attica
    edited September 2008
    Did someone say Greg T was scheduled to have a baby over the weekend? No wonder he's AWOL...

Surely you mean Mrs T, either that or all of his recent scalps suddenly seem even more admirable, what with him being heavily pregnant and all.

Chapeau
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Did someone say Greg T was scheduled to have a baby over the weekend? No wonder he's AWOL...

I asked this yesterday. Is this his first child?
  • Coriander wrote:

I asked this yesterday. Is this his first child?
    No didn't he recently buy a singlespeed?

:roll:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Ahhhhh it was you... I don't know if he and Mrs T did or not... he didn't post it on here for some reason... can't think why... :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    biondino wrote:
    Giant are the Microsoft of the biking world. But if you're happy with them, that's all that matters!

/patronising :)

I trained it today. I don't like riding when it's soaking, especially since Specialized BG shoes - otherwise excellent - actually suck up water from their surroundings, and we all know what the dreading sopping shoes are like. Also my rucksack isn't waterproof. And I had some scripts to read which I couldn't do on the bike. Any more excuses needed or will that do for now?

Yep on the train as well today my DG shoes already have a rather unpleasant odour even after a trip in the washing machine, oh! and I broke my finger at the weekend as well.

I think those are pretty good excuses.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman - our usual welcome wagon man, Greg T, appears to be AWOL, so, erm, Welcome! Good effort on the wolf whistles, but don't get all gushy and allow this to distract you from The Game. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Hi to everyone. I commute from Streatham to St. James, but often take a long route on the way home via Putney for some extra miles.

According to calculator I am a FCN 10? Question - does flat on the calculator refer to normal peddles?
  • biondino wrote:

No that will not do - your excuses are rejected! Buy some overshoes, a waterproof rucksack and get on ya bike! Scripts can be read in the time you saved by cycling into work.

Poor show biondino, poor show!
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Cold and clear here this morning. Even got myself a rare scalp! It was just nice to see someone else on a bike...!

Likewise, I pulled out onto the road this morning just as a ocr 2 (another cursed giant rider!) with a rucksack and clipless, I discovered, went past. Picked him up at a set of lights (the only one he actually sat in traffic at, all the rest was filtering down teeny gaps beside buses to get to the front, rather you than me mate). So I tested him a few times only for traffic to get in the way and he filtered back through. But finally got a clear bit of road at Shandwick place (buses, taxi, cycle only there is great) open flat expanse in which I put him to the blade, heard him try to make it stick when I put the move but he was getting nothing.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • biondino wrote:

No that will not do - your excuses are rejected! Buy some overshoes, a waterproof rucksack and get on ya bike! Scripts can be read in the time you saved by cycling into work.

• And the daily hard as nails, numero uno scalp target formerly G66, then Littigator is now

jashburnham. :lol:

Big words on here in your lunch break will come back to haunt you when girls and baldies scalp you on the way home my friend! :wink:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

Unfortunately, I must concur.

Sewinman - a few of us head off south west. :twisted: And I think Jasburhnam prowls the streets near St James.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm the hairy legged baggy wearing commuter rider, so I figure I show up fairly low down on the food chain... which is a good thing as I have only been commuting seriously for just over 3 weeks.

Mind you, I do have a target to get... this REALLY irritating sod that powers past me on the last stretch home - I've done almost 14 miles by this point and he comes from the next village. :evil:

I am determined to keep ahead of the git and eventually go straight past him down the final stretch :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    I'm the hairy legged baggy wearing commuter rider, so I figure I show up fairly low down on the food chain... which is a good thing as I have only been commuting seriously for just over 3 weeks.

Mind you, I do have a target to get... this REALLY irritating sod that powers past me on the last stretch home - I've done almost 14 miles by this point and he comes from the next village. :evil:

I am determined to keep ahead of the git and eventually go straight past him down the final stretch :twisted:

That's the spiri: The Game is playing you already.

Which part of the world are you commuting in?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Yep, I'm afraid I'm in agreement here too... Even a waterproof rucksack cover would do the trick...
  • cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Yep, I'm afraid I'm in agreement here too... Even a waterproof rucksack cover would do the trick...

I'm lucky in that my rucksack has a waterproof(ish) cover stowed in the bottom :-) Also has a hydration pouch and the ability to seperate into 1 large bag and a smaller bag with just the hydration bag in :-) Not all bad for a Bikehut bag, definately one of my better Halfords finds :-)

Normally only put it on if it's chucking it down on the way to work, and even then it's usually at the start of a ride. It would have to be chucking it down for me to stop and put it on! On the way home I'm not to worried if my shirt gets a bit wet as it'll be in the wash that evening!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp wrote:
    That's the spiri: The Game is playing you already.

Which part of the world are you commuting in?

Derby to Hatton at the moment. Train from Hatton/Tutbury to Derby in the morning and then ride home from just the other side of Pride Park (Derby County ground) in the evening.

There's a 3/4 mile dead straight stretch of road between my village and the next that is a complete bitch at the best of times; as it is directly westward and the prevailing wind is almost always westward :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • as it is directly westward and the prevailing wind is almost always westward :roll:

The prevailing wind always seems to prevail in your face whenever cycling... :D
  • attica

That's because you're riding faster than the wind LiT, you speedy thing you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

That's because you're riding faster than the wind LiT, you speedy thing you

Well if there's no suitable competition in the form of other riders, us players will take the next best thing.........NATURE!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5