Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    The muscular guy on the green Scott full-susser was back on my route today and I didn't even try and scalp him.
    I am weak. He is strong. I can go as fast as him but I know he has another gear.

How d'ya know if you don't try?! You just have to let out a primeval roar and stamp on the pedals and make pain your friend. Your heart may beat like a f*cked clock for the rest of the day, but you will get stronger.
    However, thanks to the tailwind I clocked 28mph going uphill on Piccadilly which, as a bonus, had no cars on it at all! First time for everything...

As you say, first time for everything. :)

My God, I made a right balls up of that quote/unquote effort, didn't it?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yes! I'd say it completely detracts from the glory of scalping me the other day. Now we're even ;)

(but yeah, I should have tried to scalp him. I hate him so much)
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Yes! I'd say it completely detracts from the glory of scalping me the other day. Now we're even ;)

(but yeah, I should have tried to scalp him. I hate him so much)

So you now admit I scalped you? :D

(I am a buffoon when it comes to IT)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    No, we established it wasn't a technical scalping as I have a beard. Morally I wouldn't like to argue :)
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    No, we established it wasn't a technical scalping as I have a beard.

:lol::lol::lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Ah BMX! Maybe I should get the old skool out the shed and get a few scalps on that! Nice idea, its got to be pretty low down the FCN!

Think this rain will be off and on all day. Due to my crack of dawn start I can get away early and do a trip round Arthur Seat but might just head up to Edin bike co-op (sale now on)instead and get a rear mudguard. Going to need it now 'summer' is over.

The sale wasn't that great, I was up saturday afternoon, a few decent bargains to be had but nothing spectacular jumped out at me. Check the website first, it seems you can still order all sorts of stuff at the sale price which they didn't have in stock at the Edinbrugh store.

Picked up a set of clippy shoes for £35 and a decent front light for £10-15 (forget) but that was about it.

I cracked last time I went for arthur seat, I was really attacking the first section trying to get a decent time and I just blew a gasket. Think I was a tad dehydrated which never helps but it's been a long time since I've blown that badly. Didn't help having the strong winds that were about last weekend. Thankfully there was nobody around to see, well some pedestrians, but they don't count.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • dafruk wrote:
    Ah BMX! Maybe I should get the old skool out the shed and get a few scalps on that! Nice idea, its got to be pretty low down the FCN!

Think this rain will be off and on all day. Due to my crack of dawn start I can get away early and do a trip round Arthur Seat but might just head up to Edin bike co-op (sale now on)instead and get a rear mudguard. Going to need it now 'summer' is over.

The sale wasn't that great, I was up saturday afternoon, a few decent bargains to be had but nothing spectacular jumped out at me. Check the website first, it seems you can still order all sorts of stuff at the sale price which they didn't have in stock at the Edinbrugh store.

Picked up a set of clippy shoes for £35 and a decent front light for £10-15 (forget) but that was about it.

I cracked last time I went for arthur seat, I was really attacking the first section trying to get a decent time and I just blew a gasket. Think I was a tad dehydrated which never helps but it's been a long time since I've blown that badly. Didn't help having the strong winds that were about last weekend. Thankfully there was nobody around to see, well some pedestrians, but they don't count.

The queue for the sale starting on saturday was right up to the end of the street. I was quite surprised. Got a pair of padded shorts for £20 down from £35, picked up a pair of short stumpy bar ends (to help with arthur seat!) but they werent in the sale.

You know what, its my first day back commuting, I might not bother with A.Seat after all...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    No, we established it wasn't a technical scalping as I have a beard. Morally I wouldn't like to argue :)

*looks at avatar* it that your 'beard'???

going unshaven for a day or two wont get you out of a scalping sonny
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    Oi! It's now about 4 weeks worth of beard! It's an itchy uncomfortable pain in the arse! Definitely counts!

(and if I can't play the beard card then it's worth pointing out that CJ and I should have the same FCN otherwise so it's STILL not a scalping)
  • biondino wrote:
    Oi! It's now about 4 weeks worth of beard! It's an itchy uncomfortable pain in the ars*! Definitely counts!

(and if I can't play the beard card then it's worth pointing out that CJ and I should have the same FCN otherwise so it's STILL not a scalping)

Guilty conscience???

If you're still worrying about it I would argue that you may well have been scalped... beard or no beard...
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Oi! It's now about 4 weeks worth of beard! It's an itchy uncomfortable pain in the ars*! Definitely counts!

Guilty conscience???

If you're still worrying about it I would argue that you may well have been scalped... beard or no beard...

With regard to the beard, it's worth pointing out, in Biondino's defence, that CP has some mightily impressive facial hair and even the Hairy Bikers look like spotty teenagers struggling to grow their "fluff" when compared to CP. In my world of slow facial hair growth, Biondino has a beard.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    What a gentleman!

Just discovered I am definitely on for Friday, though may come without the Focus for locking-up reasons (there was a chance I'd have been going to devon for the weekend but that's not happening now, which is a shame as I'd like to have another crack at Dartmoor, this time without stopping on any of the hills). What's the latest with everyone else's plans?
  • biondino wrote:
    What a gentleman!

Just discovered I am definitely on for Friday, though may come without the Focus for locking-up reasons (there was a chance I'd have been going to devon for the weekend but that's not happening now, which is a shame as I'd like to have another crack at Dartmoor, this time without stopping on any of the hills). What's the latest with everyone else's plans?

Well my outlook has been ruined....the usual ride is still in the LBS for it's service, rang them earlier and they said it *might* be ready before the end of the week. Still I guess 3 weeks isn't to bad - I'm just kicking myself for not getting it down there a week earlier! So it looks like another week on the hybrid :-(

As for Friday I might have to take a rain check as I'm needed on a stupid 1:30-21:30 shift!!!
    I was hoping I was off that but it doesn't seem I'm that lucky, still I might be able to pop down for a quick drink depending on where everyone is as I'll only be round the back of Victoria train station!

As for scalps I spotted a rather rapid road bike on my way along Brixton towards Kennington this morning. When I caught up with him at the lights I found he was aboard a rather nice looking Planet X model. I manged to get a good start at the lights and sprinted off the best I could on the hybrid and past him along with about 7 or 8 other cyclist's by taking a slghtly faster line. I was heading towards E&C when he swung past in the left lane to turn towards Westminster Bridge! I was done proper, but can blame the lights as mine where red and his where green!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    A 20-hour shift? Holy mackerel! But yeah, hope you can come by for a swift one!
  • I'm in... beers and possibly curry? Thoughts?
  • biondino wrote:
    A 20-hour shift? Holy mackerel! But yeah, hope you can come by for a swift one!

OPPS :shock: No actually I meant to type 13:30-21:30!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I'm in for beers and maybe curry as well, I have a pink pass all evening (HUZZAH!)

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as hamrless as a network adminstrator can be.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Does Mr T's absence from these boards today mean he's become a daddy over the weekend, anyone know?
  • cjcp
    A beer only for me I'm afraid.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator

Well my outlook has been ruined....the usual ride is still in the LBS for it's service, rang them earlier and they said it *might* be ready before the end of the week. Still I guess 3 weeks isn't to bad - I'm just kicking myself for not getting it down there a week earlier! So it looks like another week on the hybrid :-(

Dude, what the hell are they doing for this 'service', building you a new frame from bare carbon weave, perhaps filtering alloy from the troposhere?

It shouldn't take them any more then a day to get it done. I'd be getting "med'evil" on their asses by now :evil:

• cjcp
    Littigator wrote:

Dude, what the hell are they doing for this 'service', building you a new frame from bare carbon weave, perhaps filtering alloy from the troposhere?

It shouldn't take them any more then a day to get it done. I'd be getting "med'evil" on their asses by now :evil:

Litt - you seem to be partial to a rant or two today? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    I must admit, I am feeling a bit 'shouty' it's fair to say.

Beware all in my sights on my ride home

:twisted: mwah ha ha haaa haaaaa

• 3 weeks isn't too bad

What? Seriously? For a service? I'm miffed if a service takes 3 hours.... for my CAR! A bike service should be 1 day, tops, unless you actually turned it into an extremely elaborate pipe bomb and they had to contact the FBI...

I'd have words... :shock:
  • Littigator wrote:

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as hamrless as a network adminstrator can be.

Ooooh a non-cyclist..! Can we prod him with sticks?

Will he laugh at us (well, not me) in our lycra?
  • Littigator wrote:

Well I'm not going to talk to him.

*mutters to himself.
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:

Imagine the sparks if you and Greg66 crossed paths on the way home... :twisted: Smackdown City.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Imagine the sparks if you and Greg66 crossed paths on the way home... :twisted: Smackdown City.

That would be very bad. For me.

Due (I think) to scrubbing around in the flowerbeds on all fours for most of Saturday trying (unsuccessfully) to fix the garden lights, I have f*cked my lower back (this is a recurring problem).

Riding in this morning was pretty unpleasant. Every bump in the road goes "zing!" into my lower back. Absolutely no way to put down serious power in a road position. No fun.

So although I will do what I can tonight, I don't expect it will be much. So glad I have adorned my reflectors with my FCN number. Excellent timing :roll:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Littigator
    Littigator wrote:

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as harmless as a network adminstrator can be.

He made the point the other day that if he had have told me 5 years ago that I would be shaving my legs and wearing lycra on a regular basis I would have fallen about laughing...ahem :oops:

• Littigator wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

But I'll be bringing along a non-cyclist...I know I know but he's relatively harmless...well as harmless as a network adminstrator can be.

He made the point the other day that if he had have told me 5 years ago that I would be shaving my legs and wearing lycra on a regular basis I would have fallen about laughing...ahem :oops:

*sharpens prodding stick*

prod...prod..prod... and jashburnham can sit and mutter in the corner... he's not going to think we're weird at all... :D
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

That would be very bad. For me.

Due (I think) to scrubbing around in the flowerbeds on all fours for most of Saturday trying (unsuccessfully) to fix the garden lights, I have f*cked my lower back (this is a recurring problem).

Riding in this morning was pretty unpleasant. Every bump in the road goes "zing!" into my lower back. Absolutely no way to put down serious power in a road position. No fun.

So although I will do what I can tonight, I don't expect it will be much. So glad I have adorned my reflectors with my FCN number. Excellent timing :roll:

I have visions of a weakened zebra being separated from the herd...

Surely you're not going to resort to the train?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."