Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'd love to BUT it's one of the guys from the offices last day and I'm duty bound to top up the already dangerously toxic levels of alcohol in my body and force all those around me to drink far more than they realised was/is humanly possible usually resulting in those that are married spending the night in the "spare room" that's if they make it home.

It's always very uncomfortable when I meet the respective partners of my work colleagues usually there's a lot of finger pointing and knowing nods of "Oh! that's him"

Still on for the 5th have there been any venue suggestions yet?
    Is anyone planning to watch the first stage of the Tour of Britain?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:

Now that sounds like a good idea! As I've annoyed the wife by not offering to take my eldest with me on the Freewheel (she'll REALLY slow me down, she's only 7 bless her!) I might be able to persuade her to let us attend this or at least I'll take 2 or 3 of them up on the train sans bike.....

Just a quick edit as I was checking into Stage 1 of the tour and found this:
    E.ON King of the Mountains competition at Tower Hill on laps 2, 6 & 8

Admitteddly it's not quite a Tour De France esq king of the mountains but I hardly think they can class Tower Hill as a challenging climb, the route profile is practically a straight line :-D Still at least they are racing on "our turf" and all without having to contend with the usual rush hour traffic!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    2 hours without a post and it's Friday afternoon? What on earth is going on?

I'll be riding back to Chiswick tonight so if anyone fancies an easy scalp round about 7pm, my t-shirt today is navy blue (though I also have my flourescent tabard so I'll probably be wearing that).
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    biondino wrote:

I'll be riding back to Chiswick tonight so if anyone fancies an easy scalp round about 7pm, my t-shirt today is navy blue (though I also have my flourescent tabard so I'll probably be wearing that).

It's not that easy - there's nothing to get hold of.........

I of course have great flowing locks of thick strong hair.

Sadly not on my head.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg T wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Sadly not on my head.

We could of course scalp your legs.......unless you turn all laydee like on us :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Ooooh like it!

And what? I've been having a girly afternoon - pedicure and a long lunch... it's friday!

Beers off this evening then presumably, let's hold out for next friday...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    drink beer when you want... don't conform

having had a sneaky 3 prides at lunch I'm umming and arring as to the quick one after work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Beers off this evening then presumably, let's hold out for next friday...

Looks like it eh!
  • Does rather...

And cleverpun - don't worry, I will still drink beer, it's all about the location!
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    I'm off to get the beers in now.

I'll be at the Gamekeepers Lodge, Chesham if anyone's passing.
  • Clever Pun
    Does rather...

And cleverpun - don't worry, I will still drink beer, it's all about the location!

good girl
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Now that sounds like a good idea! As I've annoyed the wife by not offering to take my eldest with me on the Freewheel (she'll REALLY slow me down, she's only 7 bless her!) I might be able to persuade her to let us attend this or at least I'll take 2 or 3 of them up on the train sans bike.....

Just a quick edit as I was checking into Stage 1 of the tour and found this:
    E.ON King of the Mountains competition at Tower Hill on laps 2, 6 & 8

Admitteddly it's not quite a Tour De France esq king of the mountains but I hardly think they can class Tower Hill as a challenging climb, the route profile is practically a straight line :-D Still at least they are racing on "our turf" and all without having to contend with the usual rush hour traffic!

Perhaps they are planning on raising the bridge :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Greg T wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Sadly not on my head.

On your legs like a REALLY man
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    drink beer when you want... don't conform

having had a sneaky 3 prides at lunch I'm umming and arring as to the quick one after work

Damn have you been spying on me.
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Does rather...

good girl

So am I the only person who has HR approved and paid for beer Friday, mmmh yummy Guinness at my desk.
  • biondino
    itboffin wrote:

So am I the only person who has HR approved and paid for beer Friday, mmmh yummy Guinness at my desk.

Nope -- come 5.30 (an hour before finishing time) we can start on free Friday beerz too. Hmm, only 20 minutes to go...
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Does rather...

good girl

anything goes for us if we're back by 3ish....

lots of nice boozers round here. Beers a lunch can eith be rocket fuel or a ten ton sack of slow to carry
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • What? What???

How did this thread fall down to page 2??

I demand a sticky...

Lovely morning today, even with the increased traffic. Must be the scool mums.

And I've decided that I need to start being in work on time, so I left a bit earlier, and encountered a huge number of bikes, but not one person who was travelling at any speed. :(

Why do the people who go faster leave later?

Isn't that a silly question... :oops: :P
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What a lovely morning.

But where was everyone?! Couple of bursts needed, but that's it.

I even fitted a speedo this weekend (largely to see just how large the drop in speed is when one encounters the Invisible Wall in the Road along Millbank).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    isn't supposed to get rancid soon like around midday?

fairly traffic free ride for me, nothing remotly like a scalp though, I saw a fast hybrid with aerobars and I just wished he'd give it a go but no... he knew his place and continued ambling along...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Weird, 3 separate reports of roads with no real scalping opportunities...

What's going on?
  • Back after a couple of weeks...

No scalps. never normally is and I was even earlier than usual this morning.

Beautiful morning though, but looks like it will be a soaking on the way home.

Did quite a lot of non commute cycling whilst off work and even bought a pair of papped lycra shorts...

(Lycra will ALWAYS be worn under baggies)
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...got scalped this morning...me on my winter hybrid...lovely comfy bike it is, good for nice slow tours, the shops and general bimbling. It weighs a ton...(is that enough excuses? :oops: :cry: )...had to ride the hybrid as my best Trekie is having his rear wheel rebuilt as I keep snapping his spokes...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Cripes, only 1.5 days off and almost 10 pages to wade through...Some hilairous stuff (apart from the camera chat...meh!)

Anyhoo, Friday on the way home, I took a scooter (WAHEY!)...even more hilariously I wasn't really aware I was doing it (talk about not trying) until I was nosing past him and the traffic had cleared in front of him so it became obvious he wasn't going to go any quicker...saweeeeet!

This morning Mrs Littigator has got physio issues with her ankle and so has been banned from the bike for a week. Now don't get me wrong but WOOHOO!!!. I still follow her commute route into work giving me Embankment time from Albert Bridge to Northumberland Avenue, but instead of an excrutiating ride at 'pootle' mph, I can glorify my tortured Gamer soul and cane it at light speed all the way.

The scalps flew so thick and fast they did a feature on riverside London's new roadside rat infestation on BBC Breakfast News.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Wilkommen back!

So all the people I was looking for were in hiding having been scalped by Litts... that explains it... :D

Anyhoo, beers and curry this friday...? This millbank spice place on vauxhall bridge road looks viable... there's a lamppost right outside it, but only one! Whoever gets there first...
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Back after a couple of weeks...

Did quite a lot of non commute cycling whilst off work and even bought a pair of papped lycra shorts...

I reckon it's going to hold out. Bit of a chill in the air but beautiful day.

I was robbed of what would have been a beautiful scalp. Pulled up to the lights at haymarket going onto shandwick place, there infront of me is a proper beat up looking single speeder trackstanding at the lights. Right think I he's got game, he's got a big shiny target all over his back. I can use my gears to get a headstart and then when he thinks he'll pin me back I'll actually get the quads working and see how he takes the pain.

Traffic coming across all stops, their light goes to red and bang he's off. Shame I'm still sat whilst the green man is on allowing the pedestrians to cross. Damn him rljing ejit :evil: that was going to make my morning and he ruined it all for a paltry bit of clear road whilst pedestrains were crossing.

I then did scalp my usual fixie whilst going along Princess Street, but it's just not the same as I know BMX fixies just don't count. :(
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • dafruk wrote:
    Back after a couple of weeks...

I reckon it's going to hold out. Bit of a chill in the air but beautiful day.

I was robbed of what would have been a beautiful scalp. Pulled up to the lights at haymarket going onto shandwick place, there infront of me is a proper beat up looking single speeder trackstanding at the lights. Right think I he's got game, he's got a big shiny target all over his back. I can use my gears to get a headstart and then when he thinks he'll pin me back I'll actually get the quads working and see how he takes the pain.

Traffic coming across all stops, their light goes to red and bang he's off. Shame I'm still sat whilst the green man is on allowing the pedestrians to cross. Damn him rljing ejit :evil: that was going to make my morning and he ruined it all for a paltry bit of clear road whilst pedestrains were crossing.

I then did scalp my usual fixie whilst going along Princess Street, but it's just not the same as I know BMX fixies just don't count. :(

Ah BMX! Maybe I should get the old skool out the shed and get a few scalps on that! Nice idea, its got to be pretty low down the FCN!

Think this rain will be off and on all day. Due to my crack of dawn start I can get away early and do a trip round Arthur Seat but might just head up to Edin bike co-op (sale now on)instead and get a rear mudguard. Going to need it now 'summer' is over.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • biondino
    The muscular guy on the green Scott full-susser was back on my route today and I didn't even try and scalp him. I am weak. He is strong. I can go as fast as him but I know he has another gear. Sigh.

However, thanks to the tailwind I clocked 28mph going uphill on Piccadilly which, as a bonus, had no cars on it at all! First time for everything...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:
    The muscular guy on the green Scott full-susser was back on my route today and I didn't even try and scalp him.
    I am weak. He is strong. I can go as fast as him but I know he has another gear.

How d'ya know if you don't try?! You just have to let out a primeval roar and stamp on the pedals and make pain your friend. Your heart may beat like a f*cked clock for the rest of the day, but you will get stronger.
    However, thanks to the tailwind I clocked 28mph going uphill on Piccadilly which, as a bonus, had no cars on it at all! First time for everything...

As you say, first time for everything. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."