Silly commuting racing

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    On the Bikely front...if you add THE GAME in the description, we should be able to find each others commute with a search :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    My route.

The elevation profile goes a bit wrong as I cross the Suspension bridge (about 12 1/2 miles in)

That last big uphill bit has me down to a slow walking pace on my singlie (lord knows what it'll do if I ever expand my ring) but it's far preferable to the dual carriageway madness if I take the main road, sure it's increasing my thigh measurement as well.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    snooks wrote:
    On the Bikely front...if you add THE GAME in the description, we should be able to find each others commute with a search :D

Spiffing idea! I'm off to do it now.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    snooks wrote:

Excellent suggestion sir! Another site for us to take over :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Yeah, good idea. Propbably a bit pointless for a 3 mile Edinburgh commute since the majority are londoners!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    bikely search results

seems our game might be reaching the colonies as well!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    bikely search results

Alas, only because they have the word 'game' in the route descriptions.

But one day we shall rule the world! (without trying)
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Attica wrote:
    bikely search results

In a very nonchalant manner.. checking our watches as we cruise around trying to disguise the heavy breathing...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Attica wrote:
    bikely search results

In a very nonchalant manner.. checking our watches as we cruise around trying to disguise the heavy breathing...

What a lovely vision that would be :-)
    Might try and add the other commutes I do this evening, although as I tend to re-use sections I might break em down a bit to save having to re-map huge sections each time :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Not sure a Putney-to-Soho Bikely map is exactly necessary on this board :)
  • Attica wrote:
    bikely search results

This sounds like a job for GregT and his big ring...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Felt like a bit of a rotter today on the way home. I pulled out of work today with one of the other cyclist. We both turned the same way up the road and got held up by the traffic lights. When they went green I then proceeded to drop him like a ton of bricks. Admittedly his hub geared (and braked) hybrid was no match for my road bike - but it was still fun :-)

I then spotted another roadie a bit further up who I managed to pass, only to go speeding towards a guy with a kiddie trailer (with passenger) and have to slam the anchors on as a car was right behind me. As it happened I think the car driver was anticipating me to overtake this guy and held back a little. I gave him a quick thank you wave as I sped round only to have to pull up at the next lights!!! Still it wasn't all bad, I didn't have either of the roadie's with me (another joined as I took the first - one that I have encountered before and know he's rather quick!).

Rest of the journey was rather un-eventful on the scalping front and except for some tw4t racing past me in his golf only to turn left in front of me - despite me being in a good primary for going straight across at the junction - was a nice ride home :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I must cycle past some of you lot as I cross the roundabout over to Lambeth Bridge, there are always a few lined up waiting for traffic coming from their right (ie, me) to pass. I say that because most of you seem to be on the North side of the Embankment whereas I cross over to the South.

Weird thing today. Bloke pulled up alongside me on what was either a SS or fixie. I thought 'no you don't pal' and went a bit faster, so did he. Then I saw he was deliberately staying alongside me and looking right at me, so I looked at him and he was smiling. I smiled back, wondering if he was some bloke playing The Game who had perhaps recognised my bike (it being fairly distinctive).

But alas no he wasn't, I pulled ahead of him and he laughed, not sure why, I stayed ahead for a while until he shot past me as I slowed for a ped crossing on red. So he can't have been one of you gentlemen so flagrantly flouting the rules, eh.
  • Mwnci
    Mwnci Posts: 18
    While lurking I have been picking up tactics and the like.

I haven't commuted by bike for the last 8 months, I walk instead (less than a mile). I do however do a 16 mile loop most mornings around Swansea/Aberafan

I have a couple of rules related queries before I join THE GAME (while obviously NOT actually joining the game)

1 - I am unsure of my FCN - The calculator puts me at 10 (MTB with slicks, baggies, flats) But I use a GPS cycle computer (overkill) and it is a Apollo cheapie full sus - surely that puts me way further down than 10!

2 - As I do a loop I am actually going against the flow of bike traffic so rarely have a chance at a scalp, is there a variant of THE GAME that makes use of Nods to oncoming riders? The most Nods before passing?
  • snooks
    Mwnci wrote:
    2 - As I do a loop I am actually going against the flow of bike traffic so rarely have a chance at a scalp, is there a variant of THE GAME that makes use of Nods to oncoming riders? The most Nods before passing?

Sorry, after pub thought.or PPP Post Pub Post :0)

Why don't you cycle your loop the other way around??? :D he he
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Morning everyone!

this is my hunting area : http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Colliers-Wood-Westminster-A24-A3-THE-GAME

not many preys at the time of day I commute (6.10-14.30), at least nothing with a FCN above mine (5). This week hasn't been succesful so far...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Seems we are doing quite nicely for adding routes, here's the search results for "the game" in the UK:

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/srchkey ... ountry/253
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Very quiet on the roads this morning. Lower Richmond Road resembled something out of 28 Days Later. Just as well though. Was wearing a great big target in the form of club kit and the rucsac was a bit heavy.

Have to get a train tonight...[he resorts to the foetal position and rocks nervously]
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Spooky quiet, I think the fairweather cyclists may have been scared off by the promise of rain...

Did manage to spot a guy on a very nice single speed ont he Uxbridge road, with those wheels that are white on the inside (technical term)...

Caught up with him pretty quickly but then realised that we were approaching shebu and an overtake would not really be the sporting thing to do...

Hopefully there will be some people about this evening, or the Game's going to Essex where I will no doubt cycle around fruitlessly for hours before spotting a roadie moving at the speed of light on the next hill over...
  • I've not cycled much recently but set a pb on a stretch. of 5 min slog up a hill. I so wish there'd been a bike there. Ironically enough as I went into active recovery at the roundabout at the top and took the right turn to extend the route home to encompass the Mont Ventoux of Leeds; "Little Switzerland" (honest) ,I saw a yellow lycra'd up roadie.
    I spun up a bit but having a bag and k-nackered, I knew he'd come past.. he was pushing the biggest gear possible.. 53 11 isn't it? (wow that's 126 GIs!).

so then, as he cruises by (I'm spinning up to 22-24mph now, nice and easy (his legs are hardly turning, getting about 20 metres per crank revolution, I spied an old man and very fine leg-hair.
    So I think I have to be careful here- he may have feminine legs or it could be 2-day old growth after shaving. The difference is life and death, honour and falling on ones own sword for a faux singlie like myself. The fact I'm tired and just caned up a massive hill and have yet to climb the 266m metres of hell that is the Yorkshire Alp (it took 2 mins 50 in the end). All this flies out the door and I spin up to match the wiley old fox.

It's so true the old ones are sneaky. They truly look as if they are not exerting at all.. the fluid motion, hardly contracting a muscle, gliding past.. such a big gear. WOW. But I have to match him at least for the 500m til the next roundabout and if he continues on my road, it's downhill slightly after that, I'll stick with him. It'll be OK I tell myself.
    The road is terribly rutted and bumpy and I'm thinking his thin wheels and stiff bike will force a slow pace so I, on my 28mm tyres and hybrid, can make up some of the 10 metres.. but no.. I'm being bounced about on my aluminium frame (see other topics about frame materials) and am dodging ruts and holes.. 25mph seems a tad too fast for comfort. We get to the round-about. He hardly slows, head hardly moves but I'm sure the experienced old boy (probably 55!) has checked that the road is clear. Roundabout is rutted but he skilfully throws the bike one way, the the next to get round it super tight at a decent pace. I follow but am taking the turning one before him.

I don't care (heresy?) about the fact he may have been a hairy, he was a teacher,a god, a myth. I was a clumsy creaking bloke on a parts-bin singlie. He probably didn't even think I was a keen cyclist.
    Anyway, gathering up strength (thankfully didn't have to chase him down really) I cruised down the valley road and then up the killer hill . It has 1 switchback, not sure of the gradient but when my bike had gears, I used to ride straight up on the dirt path in the easiest gear.. and sometimes succeed!

Greg, I may be buying a fixed track bike soon! :lol:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Beer.. my kryptonite... I went to the British Beer Festival last night and got wrecked essentially I think it was the 9% ToverA that did it.

Anyway I was so damn slow this morning... thank the cycling gods there was no cocky upstarts wanting to scalp me as it was there for the taking...

If you're thinking of going don't have the spicy tai chicken... I refer you to my mates email
    At 6 this morning when I should have been sleeping I was instead slowly dripping napalm out of my arse. Horrific.

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Spooky quiet, I think the fairweather cyclists may have been scared off by the promise of rain...

I got here five mins faster than my norm.

The rain overnight must have scared the weak willed summer only commuters off and the school hoildays account for the rest.

It was great. Though less on the road to tussle with - nothingto report.

Also! I'm having Thai takeaway for my supper so God is in his heaven!

2WG What were you thinking? Old dudes may have lost muscle mass but their sinews are like heavy duty Elephant Bungee Cord. Mixing it with 40 years of concentrated cycling malice is a surefire way to get your arse handed to you.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    cjcp wrote:

Have to get a train tonight...[he resorts to the foetal position and rocks nervously]

No cjcp, don't panic! We all know trains are strange and foreign environments full of funny people called 'suits'. Keep your wits about you.

Sometimes it is possible to find a kindred soul to huddle by, keep an eye out for a 'suit' who has ankle clips on. This is a clue. They may also have a helmet nearby and so may be a commuter cyclist with a bike at their off station. This person is an ally.

Also look for anyone who has what looks like a folded pushchair with only two oversized wheels with them. These are called foldies. They are a strange breed but in times of need can also be relied on to give a small amount of moral support.

If you find yourself really struggling, pull your pocket pump out and make small farty noises with your thumb over the valve, this will help lift your spirits. Also I sometimes keep an inner tube in my pocket which I can have a little chew on, that always helps.

Good luck with the train. Keep your chin up!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Have added my very short commute to the bikely thing, as well as my somewhat longer 'the game' free routes in Essex...

The game is really doing pretty well in the search on there now!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I had to come in on the train yesterday.

It was hateful.

I would rather use "Little Greg" as a tooth pick holder than come in everyday on a crowded stinking train and pay £1,400 a year for the honour.

I'll recycle that cash as bike bits, kit and other essentials.....

Death before Train.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • snooks
    Might be quiet cos it's a Firday...and some people like to consume the water of life and celebrate another 5 days of toil, blood, sweat and tears in the work place.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T wrote:
    I had to come in on the train yesterday.

It was hateful.

I would rather use "Little Greg" as a tooth pick holder than come in everyday on a crowded stinking train and pay £1,400 a year for the honour.

I'll recycle that cash as bike bits, kit and other essentials.....

Death before Train.

Only £1400 a year? You were getting away easy... I was paying £350 a month fo rthe privilege of first hand access to One Railway's system of delays and overcrowding. Now my commute is entirely self-propelled, and I love it!

Got to go to Finland on Monday though, so won't be able to bike... unless my rolling bag could act as a traiiler...

OK I'll refer myself to the darwin awards thread! :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Beer.. my kryptonite... I went to the British Beer Festival last night and got wrecked essentially I think it was the 9% ToverA that did it.

Anyway I was so damn slow this morning... thank the cycling gods there was no cocky upstarts wanting to scalp me as it was there for the taking...

If you're thinking of going don't have the spicy tai chicken... I refer you to my mates email
    At 6 this morning when I should have been sleeping I was instead slowly dripping napalm out of my ars*. Horrific.

:lol:

Off to this tomorrow, so thanks for the warning. Any recommendations beer wise. I'm going to Richmond Park first of course so I can justify this. Dragging my mate Rob out as well, who is a tad large and rides some awful Ridgeback hybrid, usually results in a case of me seeing how many laps I can do in the time he does 1 - he is very very slow.

Took 2 roadie scalps last night between Lambeth Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge - not sure if they were playing or not but one put up a bit of a fight.

However I did a 20 mile Richmond Park ride yesterday am, had 2 bananas and a salad to eat all day and then headed off to Willesden at 7:00. Thank god there were no proper cyclists on the roads because I felt weak as a kitten and would have been exceedingly easy prey. Thankfully I only passed one old boy on a hybrid so made it to my girlfriends with my honour intact.

Not much game on Edgeware road this morning. Sparred with a geared Roadie but he kept looking over his shoulder at me and RLJ'ing every junction. Lost him at Marble arch when he mounted the pavement - so clearly not a Pro GAMER.