Silly commuting racing

Comments

• pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I missed the jackpot yesterday. 4 roadies in a group, with varying degrees of shaveness and lycra/team kit coming towards me as I rode home. I was tempted to turn around a do 'em but decided blazing past them then taking the next turn off that would be poor gaming etiquette.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • head.sore.beer.bike.no.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    head.sore.beer.bike.no.

Tut tut - it's the best cure for a hangover. :P
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the best cure for a hangover is rowing in an 8, you can't stop and wimp out, if you need to hurl then you just ahve to remember the golden rule

OPPOSITE THE BLOODY RIGGER!
  • pst88 wrote:
    I missed the jackpot yesterday. 4 roadies in a group, with varying degrees of shaveness and lycra/team kit coming towards me as I rode home. I was tempted to turn around a do 'em but decided blazing past them then taking the next turn off that would be poor gaming etiquette.

Do you get cumalitive points for a group - or do you only get the points of the highest member of the group?
  • ride_whenever
    gotta be exponential, particularly considering the improved speed of a group,

scales as x^n where x is the point score and n is the number of multiples, but only if they all have the same score
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    head.sore.beer.bike.no.

kill or cure... or cycle depressingly slow and wish you were dead

Beer wise I remember enjoying
    Sharps - Doom Bar. Eden was nice very similar though
    Slaughterhouse - Saddleback
    St Peters - Organic Best
    Cornwall - Black Rock (at the organic stand)
    A over T (was nice tasted like desert wine)
    Brains - Reverend Jamesumm and some others it finished at 22.30 just enough time for us to nip into a pub for a swift pint before closing
    RA (can't remember who brews it but at that time it was all I could say)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ride_whenever
    Last time i went to a festival i had a 48hr hangover where i couldn't eat or drink anything bar small sips of water...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Have to get a train tonight...[he resorts to the foetal position and rocks nervously]

No cjcp, don't panic! We all know trains are strange and foreign environments full of funny people called 'suits'. Keep your wits about you.

Sometimes it is possible to find a kindred soul to huddle by, keep an eye out for a 'suit' who has ankle clips on. This is a clue. They may also have a helmet nearby and so may be a commuter cyclist with a bike at their off station. This person is an ally.

Also look for anyone who has what looks like a folded pushchair with only two oversized wheels with them. These are called foldies. They are a strange breed but in times of need can also be relied on to give a small amount of moral support.

If you find yourself really struggling, pull your pocket pump out and make small farty noises with your thumb over the valve, this will help lift your spirits. Also I sometimes keep an inner tube in my pocket which I can have a little chew on, that always helps.

Good luck with the train. Keep your chin up!

:lol:

Thanks for the words of comfort. I can't bring myself to get on the scutty tube to Blackfriars, so I'm going to walk.

I'll buy Cycling Weekly and some blinkers. And a nose peg too.

I might also download the ITV4 TdF theme tune onto my mobile and then call myself repeatedly from a separate mobile. I would have thought a jolly little tune is what every train commuter wants to hear at the end of a long week; a bit of a lift for the weekend. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    head.sore.beer.bike.no.

Spot on. Apart from going up that hill from Kingston Gate first thing in the morning. It's half a mile from my house and I'm nowhere warmed up. A couple of times I've come close to getting off the bike, lying flat out on the dewy grass and staring up at the sky.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    head.sore.beer.bike.no.

I'd second that, I had a rather bad night a while back when the company xmas do had an open bar. I drank far to much, with very little in my stomach and blacked out during the night :-S

After my 15 minute sprint to work I felt much better, having sweated out most of the alcohol by the time I get in!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feeling a bit better now.

Another route added to bikely.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    Regarding the hangover - I've got to agree with the rest of the guys and gals. The cycle to work is definitely effective in blowing the cobwebs away.

And if you're still feeling a little pony for the commute home, there's nothing to stop you having a quick pint en route just to take the edge off.

I'd love to join The Game; however cycle commuters are very thin on the ground out here in Chesham.

Not quite sure where to start my FCN rating. I commute on a 1950's 3 speed Coventry Eagle with flats, wearing plain clothes and a rack bag. I looked on http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn and not sure whether to start out as a faux single speed (even though I've got 3) or as a shopper.

Any help from the Game hierarchy?
  • Been lurking and reading this thread on and off for the last week or so. Has had me chuckling away on a few occasions - and eyeing up potential prey on my short commute.

Don't seem to have much competition on my route in Leeds... generally leave early and come home late, with the odd hybrid for "competition".
    the Mont Ventoux of Leeds; "Little Switzerland" (honest)
    2wheelsgood - your commute goes v close to my house in Chapel Allerton. Know what you mean about the roads around there - have some unconventional lines now, using all the road. Made even more entertaining at the moment, while they replace the speed bumps.

Keep an eye out for a dodgy retro Raleigh racer in flouro yellow/white/purple combo down Harrogate Road into town. The thread is a bit London-centric at the moment, lets get the Northern sect of THE GAME thriving...

Off to try out the calculator... baggies (unless it's wet), hairy legs, mtb spds, courier bag.
    THE GAME FCN 4 usually. Hairy Roadie. Sometimes in baggies.

Le crapster commuter: http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v296/204/40/721556363/n721556363_1103653_5145.jpg
  • il_principe
    I must cycle past some of you lot as I cross the roundabout over to Lambeth Bridge

I cross that roundabout - heading south, so from Horseferry road straight over. However I often chunter along the embankment from Claverton Street (thanks to the GAME) turning right at Lambeth bridge roundabout, with of course the reverse in the evening. What do you ride, I shall keep my eyes peeled for you.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Anyone else from the Bristol chapter going to post their route, I'm feeling pretty lonely way out west here.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • I appear to be a FCN4... based on the fact that it seems to be permanently wet on the commute at the moment, so have been in lycra more often than not.

I could well be an easy target for anyone this evening... legs session at the gym, straight into long gentle incline through Chapeltown, until nasty gradient to get into Chapel Allerton. Weary legs, promise of a pint and the knowledge I'm nearly home... I'm going to have to watch my back from now on...
    THE GAME FCN 4 usually. Hairy Roadie. Sometimes in baggies.

Le crapster commuter: http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v296/204/40/721556363/n721556363_1103653_5145.jpg
  • Jesus Zombie Christ.

Actually do some work for a couple of days, come back and find an extra 30 pages and close to 60 members of the Facebook group! Gentlemen (and ladies), we have spawned a monster.

@Attica. Will do just as soon as Bikely's up and running again (or is it just me?). Show all these Cockney flat earthers what an elevation profile's really about. :)
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • So let's go down the pub and celebrate the GAME's pending world domination!!

I've got that friday feeling... :)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Show all these Cockney flat earthers what an elevation profile's really about. :)

Sorry I just skimmed your post.

In summary my answer would be:

1. Boil your water before drinking it

2. NO! She's your sister, it would be wrong

3. I'd use Dettol and a stiff brush - but ask a Dentist (Tooth Doctor) anyway

4. Lard isn't technically a food group or a skin care product

I'm off down the Old Apples and Pears with a couple of Badgers to have a knees up and couple of Arabs with my muckers, Lend me a Albatross till next week me old how's your father as me plates of fruit are marbles.

Etc etc
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T
    So let's go down the pub and celebrate the GAME's pending world domination!!

I would be in but Mrs T has booked me for dinner.

We should have Friday Beers next week..... Who's in?

• attica
    Greg T wrote:

I'm off down the Old Apples and Pears with a couple of Badgers to have a knees up and couple of Arabs with my muckers, Lend me a Albatross till next week me old how's your father as me plates of fruit are marbles.

Etc etc

What a jolly marvellous example of London Village gibberish, do you speak English as well?

I said

Do

you

speak

Eng

er

lish?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T wrote:
    Show all these Cockney flat earthers what an elevation profile's really about. :)

Sorry I just skimmed your post.

Etc etc

And the Queen Mum? Do you larve 'er so?
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • Greg T
    Attica
    Yatton, Somerset, no Avon, no wait North Somerset that's it

Attica wrote:
    So I says to him says I, "You can't be leaving that thuur, that be the big Cow", well we did laaarf. Anyways I'm off to see the Doctuuuurr now as me Ma's givin me the clap again

What's this then a West country uprising!

A cider fuelled yokel's revolt!

There'll be deploying pasties in the direct role men! Prepare to repel ruddy faced yeomen off their nuts on Scrumpy shouting gibberish!

• attica
    Oh you speak Wurzel too.

A proper little mongrel.

Seems i need to" teech ee the krek waiters peak Bristle though."

Cheers Drive!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Attica wrote:
    Seems i need to" teech ee the krek waiters peak Bristle though."

Cheers Drive!

I think your spell checker's busted.

Argh that it be.

I seem to have lapsed into vernacular Pirate. Argh you swarmy Dog.

• il_principe
    Greg T wrote:
    Attica
    Yatton, Somerset, no Avon, no wait North Somerset that's it

Attica wrote:
    So I says to him says I, "You can't be leaving that thuur, that be the big Cow", well we did laaarf. Anyways I'm off to see the Doctuuuurr now as me Ma's givin me the clap again

What's this then a West country uprising!

A cider fuelled yokel's revolt!

There'll be deploying pasties in the direct role men! Prepare to repel ruddy faced yeomen off their nuts on Scrumpy shouting gibberish!

Combine 'arvesters on the Embankment. You should see what they do to Italian carbon; it aint pretty...

Friday Beers sounds like a plan.
  • Greg T wrote:
    I seem to have lapsed into vernacular Pirate. Argh you swarmy Dog.

They are similar dialects... Although in Brizzle it is considered impolite to shiver someone's timbers unless you have first been expressly invited to do so.

Similarly, amongst those who game within the sound of the Bow Bells (impressive since they don't exist any more...) anybody who gives you a Fraser in your Gregory can be reasonably expected to be told to Aylesbury off, or risk a daisy root in the 'Arris.

Prof. V Ludorum - Acting Head of Game Labs Department of Comparative Linguistics and Ethnography
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • cjcp
    So let's go down the pub and celebrate the GAME's pending world domination!!

I've got that friday feeling... :)

YEP! One week closer to retirement!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Right then fellas.

I've got take away Thai (Rubbery!) for my tea and I'm taking a flyer home tonight.

Have good weekends and ride safe. Last one home's a nancy.

GT