Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    When I was a kid, making, arguing and approving the rules for some new game we'd invented was usually way more fun than the game itself. Remind you of anything?
  • biondino wrote:
    When I was a kid, making, arguing and approving the rules for some new game we'd invented was usually way more fun than the game itself. Remind you of anything?

It does indeed. And the more complicated and elaborate the better. Actual 'game' time was minimum, rule making a decent amount and fighting over results/outcome was the majority.

...and its still great fun!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • I changed bikes yesterday to a FCN of 12 and got 22 points on my way home!

To be honest, it was no fun - riding a heavy steed is dull, and scalping hairy roadies whilst fun - is damm hard work.

It has also led me to think that the ultimate aim of THE GAME is to achieve a zen like state where you neither lose or gain points on your journey.

But instead ride a machine that suits your natural ability at the speed that fits it into it's natural slot on the food chain.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    It has also led me to think that the ultimate aim of THE GAME is to achieve a zen like state where you neither lose or gain points on your journey.

But instead ride a machine that suits your natural ability at the speed that fits it into it's natural slot on the food chain.

I agree with you - there's no point in flogging yourself ragged trying to drop faster bikes - what's the point?

Quick Everyone - GET HIM whilst he's Zenn like - I've looked it up - it means SLOW!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • It has also led me to think that the ultimate aim of THE GAME is to achieve a zen like state where you neither lose or gain points on your journey.

but doesn't that make it into a "way of life" rather than a GAME?!!!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232

THE GAME already is a way of life

Even when moving around on foot now I strive to get everywhere quicker then anyone else, all while trying to not like I'm trying :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

To be honest, it was no fun - riding a heavy steed is dull, and scalping hairy roadies whilst fun - is damm hard work.

No. I've thought about this...

The ultimate aim of the Game is to achieve a Zen-like state of unassailable point scoring-ness, while never yielding your own scalp to any opponent.

If you can do it while sitting on a bicycle saddle in a full-lotus then kudos to you.

If you wish, you might like to turn around to the person you're passing and shout 'I'm serene! You serene? I'm serene! I am so f**kin' serene right now you wouldn't believe it! Shantih, shantih shantih!' :wink:

Ommm.....
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

THE GAME already is a way of life

Even when moving around on foot now I strive to get everywhere quicker then anyone else, all while trying to not like I'm trying :lol:

The Game is like The Force: it surrounds us, it binds us.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."

The ultimate aim of the Game is to achieve a Zen-like state of unassailable point scoring-ness, while never yielding your own scalp to any opponent.

If you can do it while sitting on a bicycle saddle in a full-lotus then kudos to you.

If you wish, you might like to turn around to the person you're passing and shout 'I'm serene! You serene? I'm serene! I am so f**kin' serene right now you wouldn't believe it! Shantih, shantih shantih!' :wink:

Ommm.....

I see the error of my ways and apologise for any offence that I may have caused!
  • cjcp
    I changed bikes yesterday to a FCN of 12 and got 22 points on my way home!

Ommm.....

The objects of The Game are:

1. to overtake anything and everything in your path; and
    2. not to be overtaken. By anyone. Whatever bike you're on and whatever bike they're on. You yield to no-one. It's like on motorways: do you ever see the Astra van pull over to let the Porsche through? There we are then. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."

Ommm.....

I see the error of my ways and apologise for any offence that I may have caused!

you are forgiven my child, go out into the world and sin no more. :wink:
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    cjcp wrote:

Isn't The Force like Duct Tape?

It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together?!? :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The game is certainly a way of life.

I'm starting to realise that I play it all the time anyway, even not on my bike, it defines me...
  • cjcp
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Isn't The Force like Duct Tape?

It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together?!? :wink:

:lol:

I think duct tape was precisely what Obi-Wan Kenobi had in mind.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The game is certainly a way of life.

I'm starting to realise that I play it all the time anyway, even not on my bike, it defines me...

I play the game in the gym as well... always get on the cardio machines next to someone sporty-looking... If they can do 10 at 140 rpm, I can do 12 at 160... and stay on for at least 5 minutes after they get off.

It really is a way of life for a hyper-competitive soul such as myself, I've only just found other people who do it too! :D
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Afternoon All!

I've been busy trying to load some carbs after Greg Ts advice last night, my continuing bum trouble means this is difficult for more than 20 minutes and after a week of this I am now suffering near exhaustion just stroking the cat! Anyway enough of my troubles...

To last night when I finally left work...albeit before Jed, there I am again at the top of Exhibition Road (slight downhill, good long run to the lights) one of my favourite hunting grounds. As we all pull away I dodge the usual numpties in their Chelsea tractors turning left at the lights without indicating (sigh)

In front is a scooter...what HO thinks I, no sport so far I may have to scalp where I can, I shall not shirk from a difficult dehairing!

I drop a couple of cogs, slowly start cranking it and ease in behind a cab (yes I'll take a draft if it means beating a scooter, come on they can do almost 40 if they want).

As I storm past him at a sufficient 32 and still accelerating the look of startled surprise on his face is sweet sweet music.

Down to the lights which change beautifully as do the following 3 sets, and having had a quick check he's stayed in the frame behind but sure ain't got past me until I turn off towards the Kings Road and he heads straight on.

My inner scalper says this feels good and if it feels good it is good!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Any map my ride users here? I want to see this oh-so-popular 'Embankment' route that everyone seems to be using!

Better still plot it on google earth and I can turn up the gradients to see if there are any proper hills!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • snooks
    Any map my ride users here? I want to see this oh-so-popular 'Embankment' route that everyone seems to be using!

Better still plot it on google earth and I can turn up the gradients to see if there are any proper hills!

There are no hills on it!...which is why it's so popular....it's also long straight bits of road just broken by traffic lights, giving lots of opportunities to catch up and race ...even though it's not a race :wink:

It's the A3212 here

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=embankment&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=8.219211,19.775391&ie=UTF8&ll=51.485071,-0.155869&spn=0.016916,0.038624&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep. No hills but there are a couple of rises (up to chelsea br, millbank) where the punchy rider can do some serious scalp damage.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Any map my ride users here? I want to see this oh-so-popular 'Embankment' route that everyone seems to be using!

Funny you mention maps as I was going to suggest people plot their commute routes out on something like Bikely so we can better know where our paths might cross!

Maybe once I get a few spare moments I'll add in most of my London based ones :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • teehee the cycle map of "Athens of the North" has chvrons and double chevrons on it. I think it's not strictly 20% gradients though along Morningside road but it's more of a hill than any place south of Sheffield! :shock: :lol:

I was really surprised at the number of fixed riders there due to it not being flat!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • teehee the cycle map of "Athens of the North" has chvrons and double chevrons on it. I think it's not strictly 20% gradients though along Morningside road but it's more of a hill than any place south of Sheffield! :shock: :lol:

I was really surprised at the number of fixed riders there due to it not being flat!

:wink:

I must admit my commute is pretty short, flat and fast. On days where the weather is better than today, I'll head up to Arthur Seat on the way home. No place for a fixie. Not with my legs.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    I apologise for my earlier 'farce' comment- after all, the subject of the thread is 'silly commuter racing' is it not?

Secondly, my daily commute is already on Bikely (Hurst Green to Croydon), on the slim chance that a fellow rural/suburban Gamer might cross my path.

P.S. I'm still not trying. :wink:
  • See I only use my fixed in London where ther are basically no hills... Out in my weekend home of North Essex, I've got gears!!!
  • ..aw ain't going down a steep hill where all the fun is?
    I'm ss but getting fixed very soon! My mates hate the steep hills..so do their tyres!

I like how you chose a bike higher up the FC for commuting. talk about encouraging the opposition!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    iainmoss wrote:
    I apologise for my earlier 'farce' comment- after all, the subject of the thread is 'silly commuter racing' is it not?

Secondly, my daily commute is already on Bikely (Hurst Green to Croydon), on the slim chance that a fellow rural/suburban Gamer might cross my path.

Looks like a nice route :-) You don't start far away from where I live (down the road from the footie stadium!) but I'm heading out west to Thames Ditton at present and London at other times :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • The way I look at it, I use the absolute minimum I need. My roadie in Essex has a gearing set-up which includes a gear which my cycling buddy refers to as 'hyperdrive' which allows me to accelerate dramatically downhill, reaching speeds where I'm frankly concerned for my wellbeing! And then for the uphills it has 12 speeds. No need for more than that really. I do wish my gear levers were on the handlebars though...

However, I haven't found a hill in London yet where I really require a second gear. Sure some of them are hard work... PUSH HARDER!!! :D:D

And as for encouraging them... bring it on boys! :twisted: :twisted:
  • snooks
    iainmoss wrote:

Looks like a nice route :-) You don't start far away from where I live (down the road from the footie stadium!) but I'm heading out west to Thames Ditton at present and London at other times :-)

Well I had a few minutes, so here's my commute
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88

You've got me all wrong! I'm headed the other way, as in North not South.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    iainmoss wrote:

You've got me all wrong! I'm headed the other way, as in North not South.

Ah ha! In which case you WORK near where I live :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5