Silly commuting racing

Comments

• iainmoss wrote:
    I've been a spectator on this thread for some time. Now I feel the need to voice an opinion: This thread has turned in to a farce!

God forbid that a thread discussing the issues surrounding silly commuter racing should fail to take the subject seriously... :D
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • god, I turn my back for a minute and 5 pages of postings suddenly appear...

The first time I've been out to an honest to goodness pub in ages, and this happens!
    (John F Kennedy)

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's because there are women here all of a sudden. It's all chest-beating and privates-waving now.
  • biondino wrote:
    It's because there are women here all of a sudden. It's all chest-beating and privates-waving now.

Ha! So true. Most ammusing.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • biondino wrote:

wait! there are women here?

(combs hair, sucks in gut, checks flies....)

Hey look at me! I've got my tail feathers out! Who wants to be fertilised?

(Satire ends...)
    (John F Kennedy)

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Left at 6pm tonight and a few more roadies about. Felt like I was being chased all the way along Embankment, then through Parsons Green and Putney, so it was heads down and wiping the snot away as and when necessary!

Finally caught where the Lower and Upper Richmond Roads meet by two roadies riding together. Towed them to the Park and we went our separate ways (thank god!), but then, just as I was easing down (meeting a mate to go for a run in the Park after work so needed to conserve some energy at least), I was overtaken by a chap on a Cervelo training around the Park.

Plums! Yet again, I found that The Game plays you! I couldn't let this go, so summoned up what little energy I had left trying to keep him within 30 yards or so. Actually caught up with him on the approach to the steep hill, but he was able to use the 39 on the hill, while I could go no lower than 53x25 (he had no backpack either so higher up the FC than me), so he put about 40 yards on me by the time I reached the speed bump after you crest the hill.

I'd pulled back about half of this by the time we reached the top of the hill down to Kingston Gate, but that was end of sports for me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Does every single person on this thread commute in from the Putney environs or other parts of west London?

Surely there are others being stopped at lights every 100 yards on the Old Kent Road??
  • John_E
    John_E Posts: 18
    Stand back, the welsh branch of The Game grows,

Any players in Cardiff?(the most backward cycling city in the UK by my reckoning), I'm hunting you down. Think I'm getting the spirit of this, not that I'll be waving any privates.

Attempted to play for the first time on Monday, the game is jinxed I reckon, my first puncture in 2 years of commuting. A tale of puncture, snapped valve and pinch puncture means I limped home with pump in hand (I assume mechanical maladies mean you don't loose points should you be taken),

So actually played for the first time today (it was just raining too hard yesterday to entertain anything bicycle related). To demonstrate my commitment to The Game, I left work early to see if I could spy any scalps but to no avail....until tomorrow. Guessed that a tramp on a road bike (definitely not shaved like a girl) doesn't count.

FCN - 7 (fast hybrid, baggies, spd's), black bike, black clothes (sensible hi vis look!). If you see me, I'll have seen you first :wink:

Thanks for this thread, one of the funniest I've read in ages
  • cjcp
    John_E wrote:

Any players in Cardiff?(the most backward cycling city in the UK by my reckoning), I'm hunting you down. Think I'm getting the spirit of this, not that I'll be waving any privates.

Attempted to play for the first time on Monday, the game is jinxed I reckon, my first puncture in 2 years of commuting. A tale of puncture, snapped valve and pinch puncture means I limped home with pump in hand (I assume mechanical maladies mean you don't loose points should you be taken),

So actually played for the first time today (it was just raining too hard yesterday to entertain anything bicycle related). To demonstrate my commitment to The Game, I left work early to see if I could spy any scalps but to no avail....until tomorrow. Guessed that a tramp on a road bike (definitely not shaved like a girl) doesn't count.

FCN - 7 (fast hybrid, baggies, spd's), black bike, black clothes (sensible hi vis look!). If you see me, I'll have seen you first :wink:

Cymru am byth!!!

John - I'm from Penarth? What's your commute route?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • John_E

Other side I'm afraid, Pontprennau down into town, via Heath Hospital to make the route a bit longer if its a nice day.

Good to know there's at least one other player in town, I reckon we should be allowed to include the couriers (regional variations to the rules maybe?) from Bikeshed, saw one riding a fixie, eating a pie today, if only I'd been on my bike, easy points
  • cjcp wrote:
    John_E wrote:

Cymru am byth!!!

Yay! The Game groweth...
    (John F Kennedy)

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Coriander wrote:
    Does every single person on this thread commute in from the Putney environs or other parts of west London?

Somewhere deep in the early posts, maybe page 7 or 8, is a declaration that anyone who lives more than 3 miles from the ASDA in Putney Vale isn't eligible to play The Game. Sorry if that's wasted anyone's time.
  • cjcp
    John_E wrote:

Other side I'm afraid, Pontprennau down into town, via Heath Hospital to make the route a bit longer if its a nice day.

Good to know there's at least one other player in town, I reckon we should be allowed to include the couriers (regional variations to the rules maybe?) from Bikeshed, saw one riding a fixie, eating a pie today, if only I'd been on my bike, easy points

Ah, sorry, I'm living across the Bridge up in Kingston. How do you avoid Gabalfa?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • John_E
    How do you avoid Gabalfa?

Just close my eyes and ride fast!!!! (or use the subway, tends to be a bit safer)
  • cjcp
    John_E wrote:

Just close my eyes and ride fast!!!! (or use the subway, tends to be a bit safer)

Yes, good plan. That's Cardiff's version of the Elephant & Castle.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander wrote:

Surely there are others being stopped at lights every 100 yards on the Old Kent Road??

It does seem that the majority of (posting) players ride these routes. I've lived all over London, and they do seem to be the busiest cycle commuter arteries in the Smoke and the Smoke is the highest concentration of people in the country...

That said, there always used to be a significant peloton around Vauxhall Cross, back in the day when I was coming over from Elephant and Castle...

Coincidentally, I've crossed Putney Bridge more often in the past couple of weeks than I have in years of living in London. It just seems to have corresponded with this thread.
    (John F Kennedy)

• cjcp wrote:
    John_E wrote:

Yes, good plan. That's Cardiff's version of the Elephant & Castle.

Everybody else seems to go around E&C fast with their eyes closed, so that's probably a winning tactic...

'Look to the front, and check to your right.
    Then floor it you nutter, you'll be alright'
    (Marcus Brigstocke)
    (John F Kennedy)

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    cjcp wrote:
    Left at 6pm tonight and a few more roadies about. Felt like I was being chased all the way along Embankment, then through Parsons Green and Putney, so it was heads down and wiping the snot away as and when necessary!

Where did you leave from?

I was a bit later tonight 6:30 ish from Southbank, had the mother of all back packs on...Laptop 2.5 kg, Camera 1.5kg and Lens 1kg, + clothes + 1lt of water...Back was fine, rse hurt like hell!

Also just lacked energy, and couldn't even find the strength to fight back when I was taken by three (manly) roadies, one with aeros...well I say I couldn't, I chased them down and got ahead, but then they caught up again....Oh and that head wind....does it ever blow from a different direction than coming straight at ya??? :evil:

Anyone else drinking a swimming pool of water a day at the mo, or is it just me?

1 pint before I set off, 1lt on the the way in, 1.5lt at work 1lt on the way home, and 3 pints this evening...sorry to mix measurements, but I drink from my camelpak marked in litres and I drink from pint glasses at home...but it strikes me as a shot load of water even though I am cycling 13 miles each way...just worked it out.

11.35 pints!
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Where did you leave from?

I was a bit later tonight 6:30 ish from Southbank, had the mother of all back packs on...Laptop 2.5 kg, Camera 1.5kg and Lens 1kg, + clothes + 1lt of water...Back was fine, rse hurt like hell!

Also just lacked energy, and couldn't even find the strength to fight back when I was taken by three (manly) roadies, one with aeros...well I say I couldn't, I chased them down and got ahead, but then they caught up again....Oh and that head wind....does it ever blow from a different direction than coming straight at ya??? :evil:

Anyone else drinking a swimming pool of water a day at the mo, or is it just me?

1 pint before I set off, 1lt on the the way in, 1.5lt at work 1lt on the way home, and 3 pints this evening...sorry to mix measurements, but I drink from my camelpak marked in litres and I drink from pint glasses at home...but it strikes me as a shot load of water even though I am cycling 13 miles each way...just worked it out.

11.35 pints!

That's a respectable impression of a sherpa.

I'm in Fenchurch Street, head up the patchwork quilt that is Cannon Street, then filter down onto Embankment via the slip road just before the Blackfriars underpass and then it's "Take us home, Mr Sulu".

I'm drinking a little bit less, but know what you mean. Now sat here with my bottle of water and my cup of green tea.

The headwinds are a menace. There's a point on that stretch between Chelsea and Albert Bridge when you can sense a massive systems failure coming on.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    I'm on a canary yellow, lime green and celeste bianchi road bike with matching fizik saddle (yes... I know) and am usually in posey kit.

Times vary...

I'm always happy to find some worthy competition...

My God, Il Pirata is playing the Game. :D

Victor 'Marco "il Pirata" Pantani' Ludorum...

Drugs aside, I can live with the comparison. :)
    (John F Kennedy)

• snooks
    cjcp wrote:
    The headwinds are a menace. There's a point on that stretch between Chelsea and Albert Bridge when you can sense a massive systems failure coming on.

Or everyone you passed gives a burst and tucks in behind you....Maybe it's because I'm not fast and slim that I find peeps taking breathers behind me along that millbank bit by the chelsea hospital...the bit with all the trees and wide single lanes. Or what's also becoming a bit of joggers paradise in these warmer times. :wink: Hellloooo Baaabloody great pothole!

Felt like a bit of a chuffing gert warm hair dryer was on today :?
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Or everyone you passed gives a burst and tucks in behind you....Maybe it's because I'm not fast and slim that I find peeps taking breathers behind me along that millbank bit by the chelsea hospital...the bit with all the trees and wide single lanes. Or what's also becoming a bit of joggers paradise in these warmer times. :wink: Hellloooo Baaabloody great pothole!

:D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    I'm on a canary yellow, lime green and celeste bianchi road bike with matching fizik saddle (yes... I know) and am usually in posey kit.

Times vary...

Re the "posey kit" - a bandana? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    cjcp wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The Kings Road and Parsons green is also becoming a dangerous place at this time of year...

Do you think they are genetically bred to have legs that long? :shock:

Puts me right off my game!
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The Kings Road and Parsons green is also becoming a dangerous place at this time of year...

Do you think they are genetically bred to have legs that long? :shock:

Puts me right off my game!

So this is why you carry all that photographic gear? :)

I used to commute south of the river, down York Road etc etc. Then I saw the light. The commute north of the river is much better...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I like both of these!! :D Velcro patches maybe... that way I can interchange your witticisms!

Snatch them as you go past :lol:
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Times vary...

Re the "posey kit" - a bandana? :)

Wasn't. Might be now... and a Mercatone Uno jersey.
    (John F Kennedy)

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I spied something rather tasty on my way home last night, unfortunately it was just as I was turning out of the workplace so my legs where still warming up! A hairy roadie with aero bars, in full lycra and no backpack! I caught up with him, hoping to get my legs a bit warmed up before trying to pass but he turned off at the next set of lights. Still he was doing about 22mph so got me nicely warmed up!

After that I don't think I came across another cyclist until Mitcham where I spied a roadie and 2 MTB/hybrids ahead whilst sitting at lights. They changed and I rode off after them, holding back a little due to traffic alongside me as the 3 of them jostled for position. The roadie was going embarrassingly slow, so I thought I'd go after the MTB rider who did the rather wide (and dangerous) pass around the 2 other riders. Took him on the mini roundabout near the green with the fun fair on and didn't see him again after that. Made myself work extra hard into a nice little headwind to put as much distance between us as possible and show this smug git how an overtake should be done :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Jashburnham - were you in Richmond Park this morning?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Do i have to be commuting to play?

Or can I come down to london in september and spend all day chasing people?

I am a student so tend to have plenty of time to burn...