Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    What is this shorts & teeshirt business? Are you all mad? Its been 6 or 7 when I've left the house the past few mornings. That's leg and arm warmers in my book. :?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Arm warmers, shorts and gillette in the mornings - short sleeves, shorts and high heels for the trip home.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Still with arm and knee warmers in the morning. Yesterday was the first time without the knee warmers and shoe-covers on the way home. Glorious
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Holy moly!

I am in shorts (3/4 length, but rolled up with undershorts) - tee shirt and light cotton collared shirt (lumberjack stylee) + arm warmers and mitts.....

Remove cotton shirt and arm warmers for journey home...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep all my shorts are still at the back of the draw until its 20s+ at least brrrrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    Kitten heels work better for me. And of course Assos animal prints, maybe off the shoulder.

I do have to get dressed in the spare room or bathroom when leg warmers are involved. Nobody likes snorts of derision emanating from under the duvet whilst they're getting dressed.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    3/4 lenghts, shorts and t-shirt/jersey. May put on the jacket to ride home.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Nobody likes snorts of derision emanating from under the duvet whilst they're getting dressed.

It's preferable to barely concealed laughter and howls of derision and scorn as you get undressed.....

I now have one of those beach bag things - a very large cotton sack that you get into and fasten around your neck - you can undress in safety and emerge Butterfly like in your stout woolen bedclothes.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Shorts/ short sleeved top for me. I;m only cold for the first 2 minutes.
    Seriously - arm warmers? Knee warmers? Do you go for ankle wamers too?
    These items must seriously affect your FCN
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Full arm compression top underneath the short sleeve jersey, plus bib shorts and finger-less gloves. The compression top is obviously to aid recovery for the efforts between traffic lights and limit all outward signs of blowing thru my backside. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shorts and a SS Jersey. No jacket unless it's raining.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Base layer, soft shell jacket and baggies on the way in and track mits, I was keeping my FCN number down but sadly there was no point.

On the way home, will be in bib 3/4's, base layer and l/s top and track mits. Sods law dictates I may well have some SCR action in that.

Oh - and of course my nice Sidi shoes which were white a few months ago!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need another Marlborough Loop. :cry::cry::cry:

DDD I'm doing a 75 miler on Sunday, you are welcome to join. There's a choice of route:
    the Blondie inspired route to Windsor: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=44142
    the Jash favourite into Surrey (via Wimbledon): http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=6371

EDIT - in fact anyone is free to join!
  • cjcp
    Bit of a duel on the way home. :)

Quick fella on a red and silver Cervelo, and a chap from Queen's Ride. Tit for tat thru RP with the latter. Fair play to him, I was dropped on Broomfield because I couldn't turn anything easier than the 53x21 and the legs just ground away. But then again, I hadn't previously had a tow either :wink: Managed to catch up before the descent on Dark Hill. Good workout that. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Shorts and a SS Jersey. No jacket unless it's raining.

+1...

MTFU, people!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Bit of a mixed bag on the way out this evening.........set off in lovely sunshine, taking the chance to show off even more with the sleeveless t-shirt on (just in case we don't get much sun this summer I fully intend to take advantage when I can!!) I have a nice ride down towards London Bridge and cross the river in that lovely evening sun :-)

There's a fast guy heading over ahead of me so I duly chase him down and catch up as we filter in the traffic at the north end......I get off ahead and have a good run of lights until we hit a red and the fun and games come to a rest. Rapid guy from the bridge catches up and we eagerly await the green..........it changes and BAM we're off! Well I'm certainly off but not in the good way! My right foot comes un-clipped and I consequently fumble the left foot (the one I usually put down......). I manage to recover and clip the left foot in but try as I might the right just won't engage :-( It doesn't feel right so I pull over and as soon as I put my foot down I get a bad feeling......look at the underside of my foot and I'd somehow managed to bend the edge of my cleat :? I'm running road-spd cleats so I have the usual SPD cleat and then the little rubber feet on the end of metal pegs on either side to allow me to walk, it was one of these rubber feet that had bend under :shock: I pushed it back into position and stamped my foot a few times and it then clipped in OK. Feels a bit odd but it didn't come off again after that and I've given it a bit of "percussive maintenance" at home to flatten out the metal leg a bit! Looks like wiggle might be getting some more of my hard earned money if it keeps playing up...........

Anyhow with that little mechanical glitch out the way I head off down towards E&C, another quick guy spotted ahead......a little devil with the filtering and a good turn of speed - some fun to be had here! Once we hit the empty bus lane I put the hammer down and left him, some lucky timing on the first roundabout meant I hardly had to stop as a big gap appeared as I approached but the light by the sorry excuse for a bus lane is red so I end up stuck there instead. Traffic is backed up quite bad on the next r-bout by Walworth Road so I stick to the RHS and have a nice clear run towards the shops. It was shortly after this that I found todays dark horse, my initial FCN assessment was MTB, but he was making good speed away from the lights and at one point managed to pull alongside me :shock: I upped the speed a bit and got a lead heading round the first bus but again we seperated and his choice of filtering down the RHS rather then using the bus lane as I did meant he got to the lights ahead of me. I did have a brief exchange of words after a tw4t bus driver blocked our path by trying to pull away from the bus stop when he has a bus alongside him, leaving to little space for us to get through :evil:
    It was shortly after this as we filtered through the traffic that I realized he was actually aboard a "fast hybrid/flat barred road bike" - seems I *might* be able to claim a scalp off this guy! As we line up at the junction with Coldharbour Lane waiting for the green I'm looking forward to seeing the fun we could have up Denmark Hill. Lights go green and it all feels a bit squishy at the rear..................OH B0LL0X! Seems I'd had a visit from the P.F!!

Pop up on the pavement and proceed to change the tube, for some reason a mormon "salesman" decided it might be a good time to try and recruit me.......at this time tho I was more interested in fixing my wheel and frankly I really don't need another wife to moan at how much I spend on bikes (unless I could marry Jen J and LiT of course ;-))
    Couldn't see what the hell caused it and just have to put it down as a phantom visit.

The rest seemed to do me good tho (more so for my legs then my arms after pumping the tyres up!) as I positively flew up Denmark Hill, blowing aside a few MTB and hybrids who looked like they where standing still!

I then found a rather odd cycling curiousity.....as I waited at the lights past Dulwich Station a guy on a tourer, with mudguards, one pannier bag and Condor cycle shorts on lines up with me. This might seem quite normal until you see this guy's headgear......
    It was one of these (in black)

met-parachute-09-zoom.jpg

A bit of overkill unless this guy tours through mountain passes, he did proceed to RLJ which might explain his OTT headware choice. He went down the right and I went left on the traffic ahead meaning he had a good 10 yards on me by the time the road cleared. He also went down past Dulwich Park and I passed him shortly after the gate. We both proceed over to College Road after the lights and having seen this guys previous pace I let him lead for the moment, knowing was is coming ahead. He doesn't turn off at the mini r-bout so I he must be tackling the hill ahead! He uses the pavement to avoid getting stuck behind the van driver at the toll gate and drops back on the narrowly avoiding a motorbike - PLONKER!

Initial assesment on the hill indicates he won't be going to fast as I pass casually and spot another rider up ahead who looks like a much nicer target......no bag, road bike and full cycle kit. As I reel him in I can make out "Dulwich" printed on his back and "Dulwichparagon" on the shorts - A CLUB RIDER!!! His build was certainly more slender so I thought he'd be giving me a good run up the hill as I went past but can only assume he'd already done quite a few miles today as I was a good 20 metres clear of him when I looked back as I approached the top! I think I'll hang that one above the fireplace :-D

Got in and had that glowing feeling that I only get after a good ride home in warm weather! I'm looking foward to feeling that a lot more often now :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • will3
    Had my chain start to separate on the way home today. After establishing that it was only held together with one sideplate, I tiptoe home at very light pressure. Not sure what this does for my FCN, but I was only passed once, and even went past a few people. Honestly I don't think I could have cycled slower.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shorts for pootling around town today then 3/4 combats with cycle shorts underneath for drinks at Mud Dock tonight. Should have taken my lights :oops: 3 pints, no lights and low blood sugar aren't a good combo thought I did pop in a lap dnacing club on the way home :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    redvee wrote:
    Shorts for pootling around town today then 3/4 combats with cycle shorts underneath for drinks at Mud Dock tonight. Should have taken my lights :oops: 3 pints, no lights and low blood sugar aren't a good combo thought I did pop in a lap dnacing club on the way home :lol:

:shock: I shouldn't imagine cycle shorts and lap dancing clubs are compatible?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    will3 wrote:
    Had my chain start to separate on the way home today. After establishing that it was only held together with one sideplate, I tiptoe home at very light pressure. Not sure what this does for my FCN, but I was only passed once, and even went past a few people. Honestly I don't think I could have cycled slower.

Ever since I (first) ripped the chain apart and had to push the bike along the South Bank to Waterloo and stand on a train trying not to notice my own smell, I've always carried a spare link and chain tool.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmm. Apart from the duel with the scooter up The Mall last night, I wasn't overly keen on that detour through Fleet Street, Aldwych etc. I came back onto Embankment just before Albert Bridge.

What a lovely morning though! :D Only action of note was the scooter taken to the cleaners through Blackfriars tunnel. :)

Top work CJ, there's always something rather satisfying about despatching someone with an engine :lol:

Absolutely. Put some footage of my scooter exploits from yesterday morning on the helmet cam thread. His road manners were impeccable, apart from the drafting.... :)
  • cjcp
    apart from the drafting.... :)

:lol:

I believe the last recorded incident of a scooter drafting a bike was when a scooter, desperately low on fuel, had no option but to sit in Greg T's wind shadow along the NKR in order to make it to the next garage.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Scapled a full suser and a folder yesterday in Manchester City Center, Was laughing all the way home, Off the bike today and tomorrow as im taking the misses to hospital so will be fresh for some prey on Friday.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:

I believe the last recorded incident of a scooter drafting a bike was when a scooter, desperately low on fuel, had no option but to sit in Greg T's wind shadow along the NKR in order to make it to the next garage.

Probably just studying his smooth pedalling style and high heels... :wink:

Lovely run in this morning other than a man down on Vic Embankment. Looked like he'd got swiped by a Maserati turning left, but fortunately he didn't appear too bad and the emergency services were already there.

Looks like they're gearing up for more trouble outside HoP though - barriers going up everywhere.
  • cjcp wrote:

I remember reading about that. Didn't the scooter run out of fuel around Richmond, but managed to to hang on in the wind shadow until Swindon? :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Toasted a guy in his full Cervelo Lycra glory this morning. I did however happen to be on the alternate bike a Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Another lovely morning and a clutch of scalps :-) Twas all quiet pretty much until Elephant and Castle today as Camberwell just seemed to be devoid of anything interesting!
    Picked up a long haired roadie on a Specialized (I think - only hint was on the fork blades as it was one of the gaffer tape over the tubes jobbies........) who was shifting some coming round the bend from E&C choob station. We had those lights and the ones round the corner on our side but the next set changed and he RLJ'd :evil:
    I did have a SS come past me as I eased back for the approaching red light but he waited behind me and I didn't seem him after that so can only assume he turned off as he was proper quick and should have been giving me hassle up the road!
    Also had a rather nice looking blonde in shorts RLJing down through there, although she was a bit easier on the eyes then the long haired roadie so didn't mind watching her wander off in front of me :-D

The lights where all in my favour at London Bridge and I managed to go non-stop from before the station! Spotted a Bianchi up ahead and culled them whilst looking for the next target and figuring out just which lane to choose a bit further ahead. Passed another roadie and then traded places with him as he did some maniac filtering (even by my standards!) I swore to myself that such transgressions rarely go by un-noticed and as he was heading up Gracechurch Street I decided I should do him proper. Also picked up long haired RLJ guy at the south side so I potentially bag a double! Rounded the corner and the traffic was easing so I opened up a can o' whoopa$$ before pulling up to walk the bike across the junction at Ledenhall Street..long haired dude just rode round so I jumped back on early and proceeded to do him again, but can't claim a scalp as I was turning off up Bury Street!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Lovely run in this morning other than a man down on Vic Embankment. Looked like he'd got swiped by a Maserati turning left, but fortunately he didn't appear too bad and the emergency services were already there.
    Saw the aftermath of this. Cyclist was sitting up with a doctor in attendance when I went by.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nice ride home last night.

2 minutes in saw a guy on a hybrid with all the gear going along Newport Road, eagerly waited for my lights to change and off I went, quietly caught up with him at a some lights about 1/2 mile further on. Lights changed and I stayed behind him for 100yds or so and then thought "sod it" - managed to scalp him at 28.5 mph (bloody good for me), said my hello's (he didn't look that friendly) and then hold onto it for about 3/4 mile when I had to turn off, my legs were wobbling up a mild hill after that excitement.

Don't think it was a true scalp as we both had the same gear, but I was on a roadie against him on a hybrid - never mind it still felt good.

Later on saw 2 probable club riders (a man and woman in matching jerseys), luckily going the other way as they both looked in a completely different league to me.

Managed to do 24.02 miles. Left work at 7:30 - home at 8:52 and that included stopping at 15 (yes fifteen) red lights.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • will3
    cjcp wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Ever since I (first) ripped the chain apart and had to push the bike along the South Bank to Waterloo and stand on a train trying not to notice my own smell, I've always carried a spare link and chain tool.

Yeah I know I know, and it's the second time it's happened this year, happily in both cases I;ve been able to tickle the bike home (about 5 miles this time, but no hills) :roll: