Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You're no different to Greg T, who usually punches the air in triumph at the summits of Col de Putney Bridge and Bolan Death Crash Bridge. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Oh that's alright then. Greg T strikes me as the sort you might loan a white fiver to if asked. Trustworthy, reliable, a man of substance (no not that sort of substance).
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Oh that's alright then. Greg T strikes me as the sort you might loan a white fiver to if asked. Trustworthy, reliable, a man of substance (no not that sort of substance).

Don't let his online persona lull you into a false sense of security..........he's actually a miserable sod in real life who wouldn't spit on you if you where on fire ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

He's a bit touchy if you know what I mean :shock: :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

He's a bit touchy if you know what I mean :shock: :P

I think it was that part of his personality that earned him all those restraining orders :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Conditions are looking good for a PB peeps, Good luck everyone today
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Beautiful morning, no real action apart from a particularly resilient Spesh Tarmac who just refused to roll over. The protests outside HoP appear tro have escalated - people and police spilling on to the road, could hear the nosie over my MP3. Really getting boring - surely they must be running low on soap by now? :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hola,

Nice weekend and a nice ride in this morning. So much so, that I went Uber Tart and became a complete fakenger.

I have on my 3/4 Endura Zyme camo pants (rolled up to the knee!). Retro White tee shirt and a check lumberjack shirt....Along with sunnies and courier bag, with converse camo trainers. Such a tart..and such a fake + a fixed wheel bike....

Still, I was very surprised to only see 3 other bikes, which I passed with spirit...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I got three, ehem 'scalps' this morning (I see so few other cyclists I count em all - no mercy!) I kid on a mountain bike I've seen him before he can be rapid, no chance this morning I was on fire.
    An attractive looking girl on a full sus mtb - I wasn't sure whether to hang back and have a chat to her or blow her away, I chose the latter obviously.
    And my pesonal fave an old man on an electric bike, up hill. Seriously I'm rubbish up hills and I breezed past so really, what's the point.

Ooh I used an ASL for the first time today :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Got done all ends up by a chap on a grey cervelo in all assos blue. I can claim it as a recovery ride though, eh? My body/brain didn't allow my HR above 155. Legs, lungs, heart not working properly at all today and carrying a laptop certainly didn't help. boo. However, that fiery ball in the sky is still evident :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I was on spectator duties today due to needing to lug my laptop and other supplies in for a place I'll be working at for a good few weeks (they have showers so I can try out my new micro-fibre towel tomorrow!)
    Spotted a rather rapid roadie coming northbound over London Bridge, I reckon he was easily doing around 20-25 as he flew past a couple of other roadies mid-bridge :-D

Spotted a rather nice Colnago heading S/B tho who was really shifting as well.

It's quite surprising really how many cyclist actually take quite a casual ride on their commute, I suppose I don't really notice them when I'm on my bike as those on folders/MTBs/hyrbids all get mentally blanked out as I'm roadie hunting :-)

Back on the bike tomorrow, after it gets some TLC this evening. It got left at my parents house on Friday after the downpour and the chain is now showing some orange bits :shock:
    Gonna have to give it a proper clean and re-grease this evening and scold myself for not doing anything on Friday evening..........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Oh that's alright then. Greg T strikes me as the sort you might loan a white fiver to if asked. Trustworthy, reliable, a man of substance.

That's me straight down the line.

zulu.jpg

I like to think of myself as Michael Caine in Zulu, once the fighting has started and he isn't such an arse.

However the line

Caine: "I'll have my man clean your kit"

Baker: "Don't Bother"

Caine "No Bother old boy, I wasn't offering to do it myself, a chap should look smart in front of the men"

Is pure Gold.

Sadly however the line

"Don't go throwing those Bloody Spears at me"

Doesn't appear in the film

Rear Rank - FIRE
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    Got done all ends up by a chap on a grey cervelo in all assos blue. I can claim it as a recovery ride though, eh? My body/brain didn't allow my HR above 155. Legs, lungs, heart not working properly at all today and carrying a laptop certainly didn't help. boo. However, that fiery ball in the sky is still evident :D

Eh! :shock: :shock:

What!?!

Does not compute :shock:

Next you'll be telling us Santa's not real :(
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    I'm on recovery too, but just for today. However, Sprocket Man is back. He flashed by just after the HoP. Our paths haven't crossed for a while and, whenever I see him on the journey home, the following morning ends up being a sort of recovery ride.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Eh! :shock: :shock:

What!?!

Does not compute :shock:

Next you'll be telling us Santa's not real :(
    :) Get thee to the 3lap challenge thread. All will be explained. (Laps linked in my sig)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Haha Jon - I reckon you wouldn't have actually made it up Sawyer's if you'd had to do a fourth lap :)

(chapeau, though, you bastard)
  • Stone Glider
    @Greg T

It has been suggested that I look more in the direction of Private Hook, Shome mishtake shurely?
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:
    Haha Jon - I reckon you wouldn't have actually made it up Sawyer's if you'd had to do a fourth lap :)

(chapeau, though, you bastard)
    I did but it was in the 34 and I was crawling... CJ still has the faster time for the 3laps. Unbeknownst at the time he was also doing an attempt, but with half a lap between us.

What time were you in the park? Did a two hour stint around lunchtime prior to the evening's 3laps, plenty many cyclists out then
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    @Greg T

It has been suggested that I look more in the direction of Private Hook, Shome mishtake shurely?

6956-21900.gif

I'd like to look like Colour Sergeant Bourne

• Stone Glider
    But he is wearing a Temperance Society Medal :?
  • cjcp
    Greg T also listens to 633 Squadron on the way home. It's on repeat. He occasionally mixes it up by playing Dambusters.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    But he is wearing a Temperance Society Medal :?

If that is true then you are a medal spotter of the very highest order.....
    CJCP wrote:
    Greg T also listens to 633 Squadron on the way home. It's on repeat. He occasionally mixes it up by playing Dambusters.

I'm also very keen on the British Grenadiers, however anything that just involves drums and bugels has me forming imaginary squares and shouting abuse at Frenchmen.

I'm barred from the Eurostar - I wouldn't have it any other way.

GT

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Greg T wrote:
    Oh that's alright then. Greg T strikes me as the sort you might loan a white fiver to if asked. Trustworthy, reliable, a man of substance.

That's me straight down the line.

zulu.jpg

I like to think of myself as Michael Caine in Zulu, once the fighting has started and he isn't such an ars*.

However the line

Caine: "I'll have my man clean your kit"

Baker: "Don't Bother"

Caine "No Bother old boy, I wasn't offering to do it myself, a chap should look smart in front of the men"

Is pure Gold.

Sadly however the line

"Don't go throwing those Bloody Spears at me"

Doesn't appear in the film

Rear Rank - FIRE

How about the dialogue "Zulus. Thousands of 'em. Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes, lads"? Another urban myth?

David (who's never actually seen Zulu)
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Greg T wrote:
    and shouting abuse at Frenchmen.

I'm barred from the Eurostar - I wouldn't have it any other way.

GT

You are The Pub Landlord, and I claim my £5 [1]. :wink:

David

[1] £s, note, not Euros; "back off, Brussels!" :wink:
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Greg T
    How about the dialogue "Zulus. Thousands of 'em. Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes, lads"? Another urban myth?

David (who's never actually seen Zulu)

NEVER SEEN ZULU?

Were you too busy playing with your dolls?

Now "Zulus - Thousands of 'em"

is in the film - when the two sentries come down from the hill but "whites of the thier eyes" never appears.

"Steady, lads. Steady. Look to your front and mark your targets when they come" is about as close as it comes...

I may have watched it a couple of times....

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:

Cervelo? All in blue like an assos smurf? Sounds like G66 in the summer wardrobe... but then his is black.
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Cervelo? All in blue like an assos smurf? Sounds like G66 in the summer wardrobe... but then his is black.
    Did wonder. But then the images of bike1 and bike2 are burned into my retinas so it was quickly dismissed ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    I did report having a Cervelo pass me about three months back on the entry into DSC, westbound. It wasn't The Great Satan ( :wink: ), but I think he was decked out in Assos, so it might be the same chap.

+1 about the Bike 1 and Bike 2 recognition. It's in the hypothetical SCR Manual. Cateye were kind enough to install the Satan Sensor into my Micro Wireless for me. It glows red when Mr 66 is in the vicinity. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?

WTF? :shock:

+1

MTFU everyone's in the race.

@Jash does that route in your sig block require a snorkel at the start :lol:

no not everyone... some girls don't race, they don't have the competitive gene... oh and dirty hippies

:D
    I said the vast majority. Dirty hippies all of 'em. Oh and me, I'm a dirty pikey.
    Dan
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    :) Get thee to the 3lap challenge thread. All will be explained. (Laps linked in my sig)

Fine time chap but I have to question the elevation data, could it really be a 1000ft ??

Chapeau +100 for your Cadence :shock: is that correct? :shock: