Silly commuting racing

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    This morning was quiet however this evening was amazing. Took and held the scalp of a roadie for just under 3 miles, Then he must have turned off as the next time I looked back he wasnt to be seen, Was an amazing feeling passing him at 20mph and making it stick for such over the distance.

It was amazing because 1/ it was on the way home, when I never seem to see anyone else and 2/ the way home is uphill and while I can hot 24mph on the flat without a problem with my weight doing that speed uphill isnt as easy.

Also set a PB, total distance 14.3 miles, old PB 1 Hr 5 Mins, New PB 1 Hr, 00 Mins, 37 Sec's
    Shame I couldnt get under 1 hour, There is always tomorrow.

I love cycling
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    :) Get thee to the 3lap challenge thread. All will be explained. (Laps linked in my sig)

Fine time chap but I have to question the elevation data, could it really be a 1000ft ??

Chapeau +100 for your Cadence :shock: is that correct? :shock:
    Ta :D
    1000ft is consistent with other RP laps I've done. The HOTA and Alpe elevation gains look about right so I assume the figures are ok from mr garmin.
    As for cadence: It wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility but I haven't got a proper sensor on the planet-x so the data came from the powertap hub. Apparantly, the measurement isn't too accurate at low power levels. Don't think I've pedalled at over 200rpm ever, let alone 218 :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    gb155 wrote:
    This morning was quiet however this evening was amazing. Took and held the scalp of a roadie for just under 3 miles, Then he must have turned off as the next time I looked back he wasnt to be seen, Was an amazing feeling passing him at 20mph and making it stick for such over the distance.

It was amazing because 1/ it was on the way home, when I never seem to see anyone else and 2/ the way home is uphill and while I can hot 24mph on the flat without a problem with my weight doing that speed uphill isnt as easy.

Also set a PB, total distance 14.3 miles, old PB 1 Hr 5 Mins, New PB 1 Hr, 00 Mins, 37 Sec's

I love cycling
    Good stuff. That's the spirit. There is always tomorrow :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gb155
    JonGinge wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

I love cycling
    Good stuff. That's the spirit. There is always tomorrow :D

:D Sure is, I always get the feeling around this time of the evening wishing I was heading back to work now just to get out and give the bike a damm good thrashing :D

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Always enjoyed the ride home even if it was 9.5 miles but it was downhill from Aztec West to Avonmouth, not all the way but good. Best time for the ride home was 28 mins and there were times when I beat a colleague home who drove when the traffic was bad in AW and on the M5.
    Keep up the miles Gaz, TBH I should MTFU and do more miles but I just CBA'd at times, though with the 'good' weather and lighter nights now upon us there is no real excuse.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gb155
    redvee wrote:
    Always enjoyed the ride home even if it was 9.5 miles but it was downhill from Aztec West to Avonmouth, not all the way but good. Best time for the ride home was 28 mins and there were times when I beat a colleague home who drove when the traffic was bad in AW and on the M5.
    Keep up the miles Gaz, TBH I should MTFU and do more miles but I just CBA'd at times, though with the 'good' weather and lighter nights now upon us there is no real excuse.

I had the CBA'ed feeling getting changed tonight, No way did I think that was change to a scalp and a PB, Funny how things turn out sometimes.

• no proper scalps for me today the only person i went past was below me

although it felt good as he'd used a kerb & taken a short cut to get ahead of me.....

on the downside i was well & truely dropped by a proper roadie going down a hill which i ran out of gears & he sailed past as if i was standing
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Missed the post about the Tamil protests and got caught up in all that last night. Diverted South of the river around to Lambeth and really glad I didn't have a pink top on. I might not have got out alive. Added almost 7 minutes to my journey :x

This morning all was relatively quiet around HoP. Only action of note was a duel with a 1983 Vespa 100 from Acton to Notting Hill. Sadly I had to admit defeat eventually and when I had half a chance to scalp a BMW along Birdcage Walk a little later, I didn't really have anything left in reserve :oops: A lovely morning again and the weather seems set fair for the week. 8) 8)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Luckily we don't get protests in Brizzle, people are far too busy catching greased pigs and drinking zider....

Another day in paradise - had a "to do" with a roadie - he got me going downhill (road freehub vs fixie!), I came back at him on the flat and then he wussed out of the second hill (ascent) and went the long way around what is a minor hill.....I went straight up it and came back onto the flat ahead of him. He did not come back at me.....overtook everything else in my path!

I am very sweaty.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Excellent ride in this morning! Shorts and t-shirt weather again, it was such a lovely feeling whipping down Gypsy Hill (passing a bus and a Zafira!) with the wind blowing against my arms and legs :-D

Got my first bit of action in Dulwich Village when I was joined my a Bianchi and another roadie, not to sure what the second person was on as they never actually went ahead of me! Tailed the Bianchi past the train station and then slipped past just before the mini-roundabout where we parted ways.

Dulwich brought more drop bar fun, with one rather fast guy who was a good match for me away from the lights :-) Not to sure what happened to him but I think traffic got the better of him as I didn't see much past the big cross-road with Acre Lane, possibly because of the pillock lorry driver who didn't seem to understand what the yellow hatched box is for - I was closer to the rear and just slung it round there :-)

Heading towards E&C I picked up a guy on a rather nice looking old skool Pinarrello, followed him round the first section and then cut a line through the cars and vans to get a bit of room on him for the next roundabout. Picked up a Carrera hybrid but the blasted lights changed by the tube station as I approached so I had to stick the anchors on!

At this point it started getting fun, heading towards Borough High Street I found a couple of Trek roadies and one of the guys was very quick! We traded places up until the north side of London Bridge but then traffic and filtering choices meant I lost him, he'd gone into a space that I didn't really think was worth it, especially given the traffic coming out of the road by the station. As I got onto the bridge and negotiated the various wobbling hybrid riders I could see him up ahead but the traffic just wasn't playing nice as we had taxi's and buses both trying to get into the lane I wanted! Think I almost witnessed a RLJer getting his come-uppance as he went down a rather large pothole taking a bizarre route! Thankfully not traffic was moving but he did have to put a foot down! I was hoping he headed up Gracechurch Street so i could give him a good seeing to but he went along towards Tower Bridge :-(

One last thing to add, micro-fibre towels are ace! Tried out my one for the first time today and I was dry in very little time! Certainly one of the wifes better suggestions and it compacts down nice and small to!

I'm currently using this one:

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Pro ... d=68922216

But I imagine most outdoor shops will stock something similar!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    No legitimate scalps this morning. Didn't see any other bikes until I got into town where the traffic was at a standstill. Me and a bloke on a nice looking Trek swapped positions as we filtered through traffic but that doesn't count for anything whilst a BMX and mountain bike blazed past on the pavement. Tsk tsk.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hmm. Apart from the duel with the scooter up The Mall last night, I wasn't overly keen on that detour through Fleet Street, Aldwych etc. I came back onto Embankment just before Albert Bridge.

What a lovely morning though! :D Only action of note was the scooter taken to the cleaners through Blackfriars tunnel. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    cjcp wrote:
    Hmm. Apart from the duel with the scooter up The Mall last night, I wasn't overly keen on that detour through Fleet Street, Aldwych etc. I came back onto Embankment just before Albert Bridge.

What a lovely morning though! :D Only action of note was the scooter taken to the cleaners through Blackfriars tunnel. :)

Top work CJ, there's always something rather satisfying about despatching someone with an engine :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Isn't it absolutely beautiful out?

This morning was gorgeous. Going to have to rethink my clothing, managed to arrive at the station a sweaty mess wearing a LS jersey over base layer, even with the jersey unzipped.

Last night was almost better. Riding the country leg between 8:30 and 9:00pm, last of the twilight, stars, great temperature... marvellous.

J

• One last thing to add, micro-fibre towels are ace! Tried out my one for the first time today and I was dry in very little time! Certainly one of the wifes better suggestions and it compacts down nice and small to!

Yeah, but....

As I remember from my swimming days (a) they can end up smelling rank if you don't rinse them thoroughly (and use something like Milton's from time to time; and (b) after the first use they dry stiff as a board. Great fun to be had drying yourself with a piece of hardboard. :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:

Top work CJ, there's always something rather satisfying about despatching someone with an engine :lol:
    The tunnel is great fun. Only problem is when you get slowed down by the cars who are at the speed limit ;)

Still not firing on all cylinders since Sunday's riding so nothing much to report on the way in this morning; no repeat of the Cervelo incident, though.

Last night after clearing the mess around HoP I lit up a streak of awesome through DSC. Thought a roadie was going to try and draft so picked it up as soon as the vauxhall lights went go. A slight slowing as the next set were red and then bam, hammer went down. Checked my six a mile later and nothing, couldn't even see a glimmer of his yellow jersey...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Last night after clearing the mess around HoP I lit up a streak of awesome through DSC. Thought a roadie was going to try and draft so picked it up as soon as the vauxhall lights went go. A slight slowing as the next set were red and then bam, hammer went down. Checked my six a mile later and nothing, couldn't even see a glimmer of his yellow jersey...

:lol: "Take us home, Mr Sulu." <cue engagement of warp speed and a blur of stars>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg66 wrote:

One last thing to add, micro-fibre towels are ace! Tried out my one for the first time today and I was dry in very little time! Certainly one of the wifes better suggestions and it compacts down nice and small to!

Yeah, but....

As I remember from my swimming days (a) they can end up smelling rank if you don't rinse them thoroughly (and use something like Milton's from time to time; and (b) after the first use they dry stiff as a board. Great fun to be had drying yourself with a piece of hardboard. :D

Cheers for that, I'll be sure to pop downstairs and give it a good flap and check it later....
    As it folds down quite small I'll probably try and get it washed weekly in light of this!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah, but....

Cheers for that, I'll be sure to pop downstairs and give it a good flap and check it later....
    As it folds down quite small I'll probably try and get it washed weekly in light of this!

Interesting, I've just bought me one for my upcoming sailing trip...! Won't be much fun showering in a hurry if it's gone all stiff !
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    sarajoy wrote:

Interesting, I've just bought me one for my upcoming sailing trip...! Won't be much fun showering in a hurry if it's gone all stiff !

Must not make joke
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    sarajoy wrote:

Must not make joke

Swiftly moving on :D , Jash - stop it now!

As usual, nothing to report in sunny Cardiff, passed a mountain bike but lower down the FCN list. Only bit of excitement was avoiding a van pulling out from a side road, he stopped and waited until I was nearly passed and then moved off again missing contact by inches.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I potentially saved a dude from metal death this morning - a dump truck was about to turn left on Kings Road and had pulled further right to make the necessary room. Just as it started to turn - I was safely waiting behind it - I saw a guy on a red Spesh MTB overtaking me to my left. He might have already been slowing down but I shouted "look out!" in any case and he screeched toa halt a few yards short of the truck. He thanked me and said "that could have been nasty" - yeah, no sh!t!

I was also on for a great time this morning until worse than usual traffic on both Kings Road and Piccadilly put a swift halt to that. Yesterday, I probably did beat my round trip record, but I'd forgotten to reset the computer before setting off and all I know is I managed something in the 26-27 minute range. Coupled with a 24.40 on the way home I def broke 51.51 overall but since I have no idea, I can't exactly claim an improved time!

In other news, I've signed up for a 7-day trial membership at Putney Leisure Centre. I want to get fit in non-bike areas, basically.
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:
    In other news, I've signed up for a 7-day trial membership at Putney Leisure Centre. I want to get fit in non-bike areas, basically.
    Heresy! Burn him!
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Greg66 wrote:

Yeah, but....

Keep it damp in the plastic container it came in but rinse it out with shower gel first. Take it home at weekends and stick in through the wash.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Greg T wrote:
    How about the dialogue "Zulus. Thousands of 'em. Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes, lads"? Another urban myth?

David (who's never actually seen Zulu)

NEVER SEEN ZULU?

Were you too busy playing with your dolls?

I should be offended by that....but actually reckon it's a put-down worthy of Gene Hunt himself. :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm getting bored people.

Today's commute.

Turned onto Kingston Road by the White Hart pub and picked up a ridgeback (I think). Dropped him before South Wimbledon Tube (on route passed Jen J's road and said "Hi Jen hope the shoulders better..." As I normally do, even though she probably wouldn't even recognise me...).

Picked up a couple of cyclists, including a Wilier on route to Tooting Bec. Lost the Wilier due to filtering between Tooting Broadway and Tooting Bec.

Tooting Bec drag stip started at the back and promptly dropped four cyclists - including the guy on the Red Voodoo hybrid that has given trouble in the past. I dropped these guys good and proper, they didn't even fight back. My crappy DA22 with malfunctioning freewheel and strecthed chain made the challenge interesting. I miss my Fulcrums - End of the month can't come soon enough.

Clapham and nothing really of merit. Acre Lane, Coldharbour Lane and then I'm at work faster than I've ever got to work before. All pretty routine and not a proper challenge with any of my encounters... :?

The fitter and stronger I get the smaller the world becomes and that leaves me kinda empty. I need a new job and hopefully a longer commute :cry:

I need another Marlborough Loop. :cry::cry::cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Mate, you think you've got problems, at least you're seeing other bikes.

This morning I saw:
    1 RLJ Hybrid
    Various shoppers
    2 RLJ couriers on the way in (no competition)
    1 MTB with knobs on, who tried to overtake me approaching traffic, so I couldn't move out to filter (rule No.2 covers that one) Dropped him seconds later and was able to rest before he caught up at the lights.

And that was it

I don't think The Game has reached the East End yet :(

I thinking about getting a shopper! :twisted:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    snooks wrote:
    I don't think The Game has reached the East End yet :(

I thinking about getting a shooter :twisted:

Fixed that for you.

"Steady on John this is Bermondsey, not Beirut"
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    snooks wrote:
    1 MTB with knobs on,

On the saddle or the wheels ??
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    'lo all, I'm back at it after a week or so off due to mainly feeling crap and not being bothered about cycling at all - overtraining a bit I suspect. Today started well, it was shorts and t-shirt weather for the first time this year, but on the way in some nasty rain appeared from nowhere and soaked me. Ah well, at least they've fixed the lock on the work showers now.
    snooks wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Mate, you think you've got problems, at least you're seeing other bikes.

Luxury! The vast majority of my few commute opponents are supermarket special MTBs with saddles down around the bottom bracket and a lunch bag tied to one handlebar. It's rare for me to encounter someone cycling much above walking speed. I occasionally encounter a quick 'un as I get to the city centre, but then it's only for a short distance and in heavy traffic. I think it's because I live in the hills and keep odd work hours :roll:

I saw ... one today: a builder in a full length hi-viz coat and big work boots, on the usual rubbish rustyl MTB. He was pedalling furiously and rocking from side to side like some kind of demented metronome, but getting nowhere fast. I'm out for a quick 20mi spin after work tonight (gotta love the bright evenings!) so I was on the BeOne, on a downhill section ... it's not even a contest.
    Today is a good day to ride