Silly commuting racing

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    biondino wrote:
    I wonder what Three's warranty attitude is towards submerged handsets?

Water damage (or any accidental damage, for that matter) is almost always excluded from warranties, and the manufacturers put little water-sensitive strips inside the phone so they can check.

If it was insured against accidental damage then you should be able to claim.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Greg66 wrote:
    Not sure what use a fuller susser is on that route, unless you're weight training ...

It's of no use whatsoever!! But needs must... commuter (out of service slicked hardtail) packed up a couple of months ago and since then been waiting for new arrival. So it's been the mtb or the train.

@ Jash, Yep it's one of the nicest commutes I know. Spent 3 years commuting Abbey Wood (deepest darkest SE London) > Westminster. Anyone who knows that route will realise that I count my blessings every day.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    King Donut wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I wouldn't even put myself in the game yet. FCN 11 - riding the full susser at the moment! Waiting to take delivery of first road bike so things will change in near future. It's not that I don't get scalps, but they just all feel a bit worthless as I'm so lowly!

Route is: Teddington lock > Richmond Park > Putney Bridge > New Kings Rd > Chelsea embankment... all the way along the river until just after Blackfriars underpass.

Yep, your route is basically full of crocodiles waiting for the wildebeast to come to the water's edge.

Which road bike are you buying?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

I wouldn't even put myself in the game yet. FCN 11 - riding the full susser at the moment! Waiting to take delivery of first road bike so things will change in near future. It's not that I don't get scalps, but they just all feel a bit worthless as I'm so lowly!

Route is: Teddington lock > Richmond Park > Putney Bridge > New Kings Rd > Chelsea embankment... all the way along the river until just after Blackfriars underpass.

Yep, your route is basically full of crocodiles waiting for the wildebeast to come to the water's edge.

And it's not the crocs that you have to worry about. It's the nasty fcukers who hunt the b@stards who hunt the crocs... :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

And it's not the crocs that you have to worry about. It's the nasty fcukers who hunt the b@stards who hunt the crocs... :twisted:

Michael J. 'Crocodile' Dundee?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sweet FA on the way home today, thoroughly boring :evil:
    The only decentish looking bit of roadie action proceeds to RLJ through Camberwell and the rest where just wheezy people of MTBs and hybrids (some with bl00dy long sleeved jackets on!!!)........

Here's to hopping tomorrow brings more fun!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Nope

Greg 'Nice Guy' 66

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    This moring I was chasing down 2 fast SS'ers when we get to a really nice sprint on Jamacia road I drop them and then I lose count as a pass some sort of commuter peloton where I actually lose count of how many scalps I take, I got to 9 and had to concentrate on the road ahead of me as there was a rather shapely lady on a celeste bianchi going at a fair pace... eventually I had to go past as the others were regrouping after my blitz

sweet fa on the way home but I did have a 1/2 day
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    King Donut wrote:
    @ Jash, Yep it's one of the nicest commutes I know.

+1.

Quiet ride home after my systems failure this morning. Felt very hungry too.

Poxy traffic on Embankment was ridiculous. It's all that business in Parlt Square. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited April 2009
    I had a fun ride home today.

I decided to take "the long way home", i.e. Embankment. I was in the mood for a moderate ride, a nice spin rather than the short spurts between ligths typical of my normal route through E&C/Vauxhall.

There were about 6 quick roadies coming out of Parliament Sq, the 2 quicker guys riding a Specialized and a Time each. From the Vauxhall Bridge lights the rest were slow to get away, and I found myself happily off in front, but the blue shirted Spesh rider passed (but didn't drop) me a bit before the next set of lights.

Away from the lights, the dudes were slow and again and once again clear road ahead. Now heading towards Chelsea Bridge, my legs were feeling nice and loose (a good sign for the weekend). My 'puter was reading 40-43km/h and life felt good.

My serene mood was burst when a bus passed me a little close for comfort, gave me a little shock and made me take a little peek back. I knew the Spesh was on my wheel, but I was surprised to the other 5 guys in a line behind him, all hitched to the Roasted Towing Service!

After a bit, my HR was increasing and I felt like a breather, I eased to 40 and signaled Spesh boy by, but he remained glued to my mudguard. Ok, fair enough. So I restoked the fires and kept it going to Chelsea Bridge. Some got lost in filtering, but I did spot someone on my wheel (I assume Spesh boy) on the run to the next block of traffic and my turnoff at Albert Bridge.

Off the legendary Embankment I just had a nice gentle cool down and now my legs are feeling nice and loose. What is better than a nice quick ride, the sun shining. And to top it all off, the missus made a lovely pasta. Life is good.
  • cjcp
    Roastiecp wrote:
    signaled Spesh boy by, but he remained glued to my mudguard. Ok, fair enough.

The Big. Screaming. Wuss. :)
    Off the legendary Embankment I just had a nice gentle cool down and now my legs are feeling nice and loose. What is better, a nice quick ride, the sun shining. And to top it all off, the missus made a lovely pasta. Life is good.

Good work, lad.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Bollo Lane being resurfaced so change of route tonight via Ken Gdns and Notting Hill. Big mistake. Heavy traffic and a pretty average commute with only the weather to compensate. Struggled to fight off a MTB on slicks ffs. Must try harder...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    @Roastie - It must have been the night for the ejit's to drive as I encountered a few numpties in tin boxes on the way home. A couple don't seem to have grasped what that little stick beside their steering wheel with the arrows on does.......the worst one being at the front of a queue as I was filtering up. Thankfully I wasn't an extra cars length ahead as the light went green as they just decided to turn left without so much as a hint of their intentions!

I then got tooted a bit further ahead after moving out to clear another cyclist. I'd seen a car coming up behind me but the road ahead was clear and I was doing just over 20mph so was buggered if I was scrubbing off any speed! Needless to say I didn't see her after the traffic lights, I can only assume she was still waiting to get across the junction whilst I was negotiating the toll gate 1/2 mile down the road :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    And another thing about this traffic.

Why are there so many parked cars off or near the NKR when Chelsea are playing? Gotta drive to see your "local" team play, eh? :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    And another thing about this traffic.

Why are there so many parked cars off or near the NKR when Chelsea are playing? Gotta drive to see your "local" team play, eh? :?
    Yep, NKR was ridiculous this evening. Cars trying to overtake where there was no room etc. Primary-tastic
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    cjcp wrote:

Trek 1.7 on the missus' C2W.
    Bad time of year to buy a new bike so was limited with choice. I'm 6'4" and most 09 models in my size were out of stock.
  • cjcp wrote:
    King Donut wrote:
    @ Jash, Yep it's one of the nicest commutes I know.

+1.

Quiet ride home after my systems failure this morning. Felt very hungry too.

Poxy traffic on Embankment was ridiculous. It's all that business in Parlt Square. :?

As far as I could tell, the trafic back up was caused by nothing more complex than the huge number of coppers around, doing, errr, nothing.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    King Donut wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Bad time of year to buy a new bike so was limited with choice. I'm 6'4" and most 09 models in my size were out of stock.

Cool.

Can't imagine there'll be many 6'4" blokes on a Trek, so will look out for you! :wink::)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

Nope

Greg 'Nice Guy' 66

Yeah, right, 'nice guy'.

Also, the new budget is a fair, intelligent and reasoned response to the economic crisis and the upcoming election.

Oh, and I'm Dolly Parton.

:lol::lol:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Greg66 wrote:

Nope

Greg 'Nice Guy' 66

Yeah, right, 'nice guy'.

Also, the new budget is a fair, intelligent and reasoned response to the economic crisis and the upcoming election.

Oh, and I'm Dolly Parton.

:lol::lol:

Trying to imagine Dolly Parton commuting by bike....failing!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    How's this for a really silly commuter (and before anyone asks, I do not mean the bike...though they should have used a Dahon Mu.....)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztFjU5dtO8
    He'd have a great FCN. Not too sure about the padding.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • King Donut wrote:
    Spent 3 years commuting Abbey Wood (deepest darkest SE London) > Westminster. Anyone who knows that route will realise that I count my blessings every day.

Spent 13 years in Belvedere (Lower), you have my sympathies
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    King Donut wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Enjoy, and welcome to the game - you'll have fun. Certainly is a bad time to buy a bike - just getting one for the GF and there don't seem to be that many good ones around - the bike shops are making hay.

Good ride in this morning - gaps kept opening up and the lights kept turning green. Then had some sport with a few fixies along the embankment and ended up with a PB :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Glad you had a good ride in Christophe, mine was rubbish ;)
    More RLs than you can shake a stick at and a load of numpties now some good weather is here. Told one to not be a c0ck as he tried to undertake me (I had a drafting fairy on my six and a moped to my right) as we were approaching a slowing, indicating left coach. Had the aforementioned fairy stuck in my bum bubble from HoP to Blackfriars. He'd already nearly run into the back of me as we were pulling away from the HoP lights. I wasn't giving it full gas for the first half of vicky embankment but did he attempt a pass? Noooo, just pretented we were in a team pursuit and sat centimetres from my rear tyre. Twunt. When I realised he was still there I put the hammer down but he had the grappling irons firmly attached. Grr.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    No chain. 8)

After the misery of yesterday's efforts, today was much better. There was a chap built like Chris Hoy who pulverised me off the mark, but was able to catch up him with him over distance.

Saw some awful weaving and RLJing by a chap with tri bars, who latched onto my back wheel before dropping back when I waved him through. Funny that. :roll: I don't drafters, much less those with pointy bits on their handle bars.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Another glorious morning!
    Had my usual blast down Gypsy Hill near the start hampered by cars sticking to the speed limit :-D No room to go round as it was a fairly long queue so no room to pull back in!
    Spotted a roadie as I came onto the roundabout on College Road just before I cross the South Circular. He looked to be carrying some good speed so I upped the pace a bit and he stayed in firmly behind me, although I think he was just outside my bum bubble!
    Had a stupid cow nearly take me out on the next roundabout and the ensuing filtering meant roadie dude dropped a bit further back but was back on my 6 as we passed Dulwich Station. He then pretty much stuck with me all the way to the lights at the bottom of Denmark Hill where he RLJ'd :evil: Not even so much as a thank you for the lift he'd had for the last 2 miles or so!

This pretty much set the tone for the rest of the journey as each successive fast person seemed to be a serial RLJer, including the 2 SS/FG dudes at E&C. Did find a rather rapid guy on a hybrid through Camberwell who was doing a fine job keeping up in traffic, although he did take the easier RHS, but I opened up a gap when the road cleared. He also RLJ'd and I lost him at E&C.

Had a few problems clipping in from there too, meaning I was lagging away from the lights, but once I was engaged I made it up! Had some fun away from one set of lights where no-one dare RLJ due to the pig wagon in the queue, had to negotiate the moon like surface of Borough High Road without going under the wheels of one of the 1/2 dozen motorbikes on my right and move round the dozen or so cyclist on my left :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Got knocked `about last night by a bus....He to try and overtake then turn left down a slip road as we came to a flyover (I always go straight over the flyover) - I was basically next to the front passenger door, so, the driver could see me perfectly well as he sits opposite and slightly behind it - but, he just pushed into me, crushing my hand against the handlebar and taking any space I had - trying to force me down the slip road - so, I banged on the door with my fist failrly aggressively - my fist broke the glass and the tw@t of a driver finally back off me. I carried on riding, I was too emotional to stop - would have just punched him out for a staggering level of ignorance.....and been in allot more trouble myself (made a vow the my wife about punching people out!).

Drank too much last night - did not sleep and hayfever this morning - Not great for SCR, but I got some big dude on a well used Ribble. Nice "to do" to be fair - he got me on the hill (I am fixed today again!), I managed to come back by the flyover (where I was knocked off last night) - I got him - I think he was pi$$ed at me - gave me a dirty look as I climbed above him and passed.

Need coffee and piritin....
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Glad to hear you come out ok after that little incident yesterday GTVL, sounds like it could have been rather nasty - at least the bus driver will have some explaining to do about the broken door :-P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Glad you had a good ride in Christophe, mine was rubbish ;)
    More RLs than you can shake a stick at and a load of numpties now some good weather is here. Told one to not be a c0ck as he tried to undertake me (I had a drafting fairy on my six and a moped to my right) as we were approaching a slowing, indicating left coach. Had the aforementioned fairy stuck in my bum bubble from HoP to Blackfriars. He'd already nearly run into the back of me as we were pulling away from the HoP lights. I wasn't giving it full gas for the first half of vicky embankment but did he attempt a pass? Noooo, just pretented we were in a team pursuit and sat centimetres from my rear tyre. Twunt. When I realised he was still there I put the hammer down but he had the grappling irons firmly attached. Grr.

JG: you are way too polite. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ha, creamed a guy this morning on his specialized mountain bike, he built enough speed to pass me on the flat and then he went past breathing heavily and got out a cheery good morning, but it made me laugh. So I let him have 100 metres, before I wound him in, lights ahead changing when I got to 15metres behind and let him rush up to line, whilst I remained clipped in cycling aginast the brakes. Lights change and I am smoke homeboy, laters
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.