Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?

Nope.

I'm also aware that when I get in a crowded lift at work and I find that I'm the first one to get to my floor I punch the air and shout yes (inside my head) as I emerge triumphant.

If you don't do this you may have a deficient "Grrr" gland and one day may fail to roll out of bed.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?

WTF? :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

Can I have your scalp then please?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    gtvlusso wrote:

He is above such things - like the strangely asexual Tripitaka - he is serene

masako2.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

I refer you to rule one.

Anyone on a bike going to and from work is actually playing the game but doing a darn good job looking like they're not playing, which is in and of itself part of playing the game....

No one actually looks like they're/playing SCR that's part of the game.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

+1

MTFU everyone's in the race.

@Jash does that route in your sig block require a snorkel at the start :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Greg T wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

He is above such things - like the strangely asexual Tripitaka - he is serene

masako2.jpg

I was never confused, well perhaps a little :oops:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:

+1

It's a Tri route so the first leg is in the water...

or

I live in a submersible

or

I live in what estate agents optimistically refer to as a "lower ground floor" flat, close to the Thames so I am actually below seal level.

Now which is true?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:

+1

It's a Tri route so the first leg is in the water...

or

I live in a submersible

or

I live in what estate agents optimistically refer to as a "lower ground floor" flat, close to the Thames so I am actually below seal level.

Now which is true?

None of the above - you're a fish aren't you?
  • itboffin
    Beware SCRer continued use of the skin breathing method of not trying will turn you into a fish or at best some kind of embankment dwelling newt.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    Beware SCRer continued use of the skin breathing method of not trying will turn you into a fish or at best some kind of embankment dwelling newt.

Newt?!

How about Shark?

Yep, a Shark, patrolling the shores of Embankment, preying on shoals of Hi Viz fish who desperately seek solace in numbers.

p_2784769.jpg

shoal%20small%20yellow.jpg

Yep, I'm bored. :D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232

DOES.
    NOT.
    COMPUTE.

**wanders off to look for pitchfork**

Seriously, having been here since the dawn of creation for SCR it was always the great un-spoken game. Everyone came together because of a common feeling that not quiet everyone understood to start. They slowly as more posts where added it became clear that is indeed was to be the purpose of our commute - to lay waste to all those ahead of us, all in the name of getting to work :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

DOES.
    NOT.
    COMPUTE.

**wanders off to look for pitchfork**

Seriously, having been here since the dawn of creation for SCR it was always the great un-spoken game. Everyone came together because of a common feeling that not quiet everyone understood to start. They slowly as more posts where added it became clear that is indeed was to be the purpose of our commute - to lay waste to all those ahead of us, all in the name of getting to work :-)

Oh Yes :twisted: Getting to work is a byproduct of SCR
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:

+1

no not everyone... some girls don't race, they don't have the competitive gene... oh and dirty hippies
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cjcp wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    A roadie followed me for 10 miles this evening. I saw him at the start, but lost him on the hills, and he only caught up with me when I was pootling the last half mile home, and then I easily kept up and had a bit of a chat.

"You destroyed me on the hills... If you had a proper bike I'd never have caught up with you at all"

Is this a scalp?

Yep, victory to you. :)

What are you riding if you're not riding a "proper bike"? :)

This

Not what I'd go for now, but I didn't want to spend a lot on a bike and then find that I really coudn't hack the commute.

I think I'll change it next year, if thre is still some UK high tech industry for me to work in by then.

Now is not a good time for semiconductor engineers.
  • Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?

The typical refrain of the loser: "But I wasn't racing!" :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Headwind this morning

Headwind this evening

No scaps

No records

But Really enjoyed having to fight and battle for every single mile
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048

MTFU :D:D:D:D:D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jimmypippa

I thought I was the only one who tried to catch people obviously higher up the food chain, and avoid anyone lower...

Then I discovered this thread.

Some time ago, my googling lead to a paper in the BMJ (I think) which was discussing the benefits of "moderate" exercise, and specifically cycle commuting.

The paper aised the question about how elevated the heart rate should be during exercise....

I think SCR achieves that admirably. I also have noticed that I have recovered my hillwalking fitness, running up hills is far easier, even though the muscles are slightly different.

And it is fun.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    jimmypippa wrote:

I thought I was the only one who tried to catch people obviously higher up the food chain, and avoid anyone lower...

Then I discovered this thread.

Some time ago, my googling lead to a paper in the BMJ (I think) which was discussing the benefits of "moderate" exercise, and specifically cycle commuting.

The paper aised the question about how elevated the heart rate should be during exercise....

I think SCR achieves that admirably. I also have noticed that I have recovered my hillwalking fitness, running up hills is far easier, even though the muscles are slightly different.

And it is fun.

And I bet when your hillwalking your always trying to scalp those walkers ahead of you...........I might be getting the train in to work on Monday (due to needing to lug large laptop, towel, clothes etc in to a site I'm gonna be on for a while........) but I can guarantee I'll be the fastest ped over London Bridge :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    edited April 2009
    gert_lush wrote:
    .......I managed to scalp a police lady on a horse on whiteladies road yesterday, it was pretty easy even though they had a combination of 6 legs verses my 2!! :D:D

Caught one on camera going the wrong way along, ironically, the Horsefair in Central Brizzle. Check my youtube profile to view it, one rule for them be the title of this cinematic masterpiece.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    redvee wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:
    .......I managed to scalp a police lady on a horse on whiteladies road yesterday, it was pretty easy even though they had a combination of 6 legs verses my 2!! :D:D

Caught one on camera going the wrong way along, ironically, the Horsefair in Central Brizzle. Check my youtube profile.

Can you go the wrong way on a horse ?
  • jimmypippa
    And I bet when your hillwalking your always trying to scalp those walkers ahead of you...........I might be getting the train in to work on Monday (due to needing to lug large laptop, towel, clothes etc in to a site I'm gonna be on for a while........) but I can guarantee I'll be the fastest ped over London Bridge :-D

Yes,

Always have done and at work I have a colleague who is suitable competition as a ped, he does silly ultramarathons.

like this one:

He said I walked bloody quickly, which was odd, because that was what I was thinking about him (and no, we didn't walk like speedwalkers,)
  • itboffin
    The only cyclist I encountered today was a mini club peloton who all acknowledge our passing, shame I was going the other way they had a nice turn of speed :twisted:

Why is it that even when i'm going the opposite way I still increase my speed considerably when other cyclists are nearby :lol:
  • itboffin wrote:
    Why is it that even when i'm going the opposite way I still increase my speed considerably when other cyclists are nearby :lol:

me too plus i try not to look as knackered :D
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Why is it that even when I'm going in the opposite way I still increase my speed.....

Ah, so it is me as well is it? I thought I was above all this silliness. I do not commute, but I do ride quite often.... Oh dear, my life will never be the same again.

Is help at hand? Probably not.

Oh dear.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Stone Glider
    Oh dear, it is taking hold. How many points for the milk float I passed this morning? He was really going for it too.

Oh dear.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol: Did you raise both arms in the air as you passed him?

(No points for a milkfloat though :) )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jimmypippa
    Normally most "sport" consists of paperboys and papergirls.

Which is why I enjoyed my one real challange (I initially thought it was a colleague, which was why I was trying particularly hard)...
  • Stone Glider
    Only one arm, in an elegant jesture of acknowledgement and dismissal (IMHO). However I am fairly certain that the float had a "go faster" stripe down the side.

I am not reallly a SCR sort of person am I?