Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Got knocked `about last night by a bus....He to try and overtake then turn left down a slip road as we came to a flyover (I always go straight over the flyover) - I was basically next to the front passenger door, so, the driver could see me perfectly well as he sits opposite and slightly behind it - but, he just pushed into me, crushing my hand against the handlebar and taking any space I had - trying to force me down the slip road - so, I banged on the door with my fist failrly aggressively - my fist broke the glass and the tw@t of a driver finally back off me. I carried on riding, I was too emotional to stop - would have just punched him out for a staggering level of ignorance.....and been in allot more trouble myself (made a vow the my wife about punching people out!).

Yikes! :shock: That's appalling. :x

Glad you're ok, and well done for not confronting the driver.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Cheers CJCP and BJUK....I was livid at the time and saw red, just put it into the pedals and powered up the next hill.

It is an accident waiting to happen on the dual carraigeway - I have been waiting for it for a few years now, finally happened. Hopefully, it is done and I can have another few years of peace!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Cheers CJCP and BJUK....I was livid at the time and saw red, just put it into the pedals and powered up the next hill.

It is an accident waiting to happen on the dual carraigeway - I have been waiting for it for a few years now, finally happened. Hopefully, it is done and I can have another few years of peace!

Woah!!! that's fcuked up, glad your okay, don't let your guard down.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    gtvlusso wrote:

NP - From the situation you described it reminded me of part of one of my old commutes to the local PC Hell store, I'd come over the on a dual carriageway and have to stick to my guns to stop people bullying me off down the turn off. Thankfully I managed to find an alternate route to the store that missed that part out in the end!

As you've said tho you rode the anger off which is the best way to deal with it, adrenaline is like NOS for a cyclist :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Could I make the observation, that as noone on this forum gets overtaken by anyone ever, we are either dishonest, dissembling, extremely selcetive in posting, or the vast majority of "scalps" are people just potteriong to work, and hence not worth the swing of an axe. Oh, and that obviously noone on this thread ever encounters a fellow member on the roads (or is that always a draw?) :? :wink:
    Dan
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Could I make the observation, that as noone on this forum gets overtaken by anyone ever, we are either dishonest, dissembling, extremely selcetive in posting, or the vast majority of "scalps" are people just potteriong to work, and hence not worth the swing of an axe. Oh, and that obviously noone on this thread ever encounters a fellow member on the roads (or is that always a draw?) :? :wink:
    Nope. The last person who passed me in open play was the Cervelo chap earlier in the week. Before that it was quite a while.
    Encountered CJ a number of times but no battle has ensued. Not sure who'd win. CJ is quite mighty on the flat tracks of the embankment
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Could I make the observation, that as noone on this forum gets overtaken by anyone ever, we are either dishonest, dissembling, extremely selcetive in posting, or the vast majority of "scalps" are people just potteriong to work, and hence not worth the swing of an axe. Oh, and that obviously noone on this thread ever encounters a fellow member on the roads (or is that always a draw?) :? :wink:

It does happen............occasionally ;-) If you check over on the arch nemesis thread there are posts from regulars on the SCR thread about people that always give them trouble.
    Personally I'll share tales regardless of whether I was the scalper or scalpee!

But in general I think we do have the cream of the commuters on here and as I don't take the embankment I haven't ever (as far as I'm aware) encountered a fellow SCR whilst on my commute, but I think some of the embankment peleton have though, with one instance being caught on helmet cam :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Some of us (ME) have the safety of living in the middle of nowhere and rarely if ever see another cyclist, phew! :wink:

For those of you in the big smoke hats of to you all, I dabbled when I worked in town, Waterloo -> Regent St. and it was not fun, what with the lunatic buses and taxis and frankly just about everyone trying to kill you to gain 6ft in the traffic, then there's the traffic lights :?

Balancing staying alive with racing but not racing, nope i'm happy to be off my game for the time being.

Be safe peeps 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Could I make the observation, that as noone on this forum gets overtaken by anyone ever, we are either dishonest, dissembling, extremely selcetive in posting, or the vast majority of "scalps" are people just potteriong to work, and hence not worth the swing of an axe.

I'm never overtaken. Scooters provide a particularly a rich source of fruit. :P

Had my a@rse handed to me on a plate this week. Twice at least. Once on Broomfield Hill even. :P
    Oh, and that obviously noone on this thread ever encounters a fellow member on the roads (or is that always a draw?) :? :wink:

Was thinking about this yesterday. We're fairly spread out across the country and the Big Smoke. As regards the latter, we all leave at different times. Doesn't take much to actually miss one another though with all the traffic lights we have to deal with (I've lost count). I've seen Greg T & 66, Jash, Biondino once, Littigator a couple of times, and JG a good number of times because we come in from the same direction. Not seen him on the way home though as he works later than I do.

On the whole though, we're all fab. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

Perhaps it is because we alldon't live in the same town and not every cyclist we see is that into it and uses a forum like this.......diversity and that y'know.

Have you never felt the urge to reel someone in, hunt them on a hill - once you have scalped, you never look back, it becomes addictive!

Here's to your first and many more afterwards...

:-)
  • cjcp
    P.S. It's always a race. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Encountered CJ a number of times but no battle has ensued. Not sure who'd win.

Am not doing the self-deprecating, modesty thing here, but you. Hands down. I've seen quite enough in RP to say this for certain! :)

<Cue Greg T and his bro-mance theories.>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I get owned (very) occasionally, but more often than that I find myself in a situation where I know I can't actually scalp someone, so I will stay with them, in front or behind, swapping over, until one of us turns off. I am sure they are thinking the same thing. Perhaps it's dishonourable not to even try, but since there is no actual scalping involved I usually won't mention it unless my fellow cyclist deserved scorn or a chapeau. I like to think I'm fair and pretty much honest!

The thing is, the majority of commuters are slower than me (and the vast majority are slower than Jon, CJ, Bass, Greg and others), there are almost none with a higher FCN, and I can't think of the last time a lower FCN scalped me (probably Scott full susser dude who I haven't seen for months). So there's really not too much to report of any nature.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    *Tentative hand raised at back of class*

I got scalped by 3 SCRs in RP. It was a slow death too, as they pulled past on one of the cols in Richmond Park. I was on my 8th lap* :oops:

*This may have an element of being economical with the actualité.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    cjcp wrote:
    P.S. It's always a race. :wink:

+1

Having read these those and with BD's comment about meeting someone you know is faster then you has brought back some memories of a couple of people I have encountered, both of which I duly reported about on this very thread!

The first was the Rapha Condor wearing bolt of lightening I found in Streatham, I'm no slouch away from the lights but I was struggling to keep up with this guy! Even at just south of 30MPH he was pulling away, it was just awesome!

The second was wearing a KoM TDF jersey down in Merton Park, I'd binned him away from the first set of lights and lined up at the next set for round 2. I pulled off ahead but then after sprinting for a good 300 metres of so I saw his shadow coming up behind me as my legs where burning trying to hold the sprint......I was rather pleased that he didn't turn up Grand Drive to say the least :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • For the most part, I do pass all and sundry and the only times people pass me tends to be away from the lights, where I'm akin to a strongman pulling a tractor and literally make the world go round (with my mahoosive panniers while stubbornly staying on the big ring).

Like Blondie says, I will acknowledge when I've met my match, which normally is a keen Roadie with little luggage.

I have had the good fortune to encounter the mighty DDD on my commute where I would say honours were even in only a short blast. I gave it some guns down away from Clapham Sth down to Bec but DDD was with me all the way. He passed me while we were filtering between Bec and Broadway and gave it a burst but stayed with him. Just a bit of gentlemanly SCR sparring of an evening!

Rest day for me today as I had to take a call with Japan at 1am! The cheeky beggars didn't even turn up! Gah!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Bassjunkieuk
    SiHughes wrote:
    Rest day for me today as I had to take a call with Japan at 1am! The cheeky beggars didn't even turn up! Gah!

Sure you didn't call the wong number ;-)

I'm sorry.................I'll get my coat
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Encountered CJ a number of times but no battle has ensued. Not sure who'd win.

Am not doing the self-deprecating, modesty thing here, but you. Hands down. I've seen quite enough in RP to say this for certain! :)

<Cue Greg T and his bro-mance theories.>

I love you man!

No man I love YOU!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Could I make the observation, that as noone on this forum gets overtaken by anyone ever:

Not true. I got passed by some chap on a Thorn touring/Audax machine on the way home from work last night - he was in full garb, I was in bog-standard work clothes. However, I reasoned that I had the 'racier' bike out of the two of us (though I was only on the trainer with triple chainset & guards rather than the Look KG241) so was having none of that and quickly moved to overtake! He was sat behind me all of the way until his turning after that.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Have you never felt the urge to reel someone in, hunt them on a hill - once you have scalped, you never look back, it becomes addictive!

One of my best efforts was on a training ride where I managed to hold the wheel of a bloke doing a fair lick on a Pinarello....I was riding a 'cross bike at the time. With 32mm knobbly tyres to boot!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

Well, I get overtaken. But the only legit ones (i.e. not RLJ/suicidal junction crossing etc) are roadies, with waaay higher FCN than little old me.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'd agree with blondie there, most of the people I see on my commute are slower than me, but those who are faster (see the nemesis thread) are usually of a higher fcn than me, ensuring the safety of my scalp! I still try to catch the higher fcn riders, but just occasionally I can't be arsed!

Had a good one last night, coming back after dark, went past a guy on a roadie with a backpack (higher fcn), but had to stop partway up mount Acton, so he came past me. Blast! I gave chase, lights in his favour, caught him again from a red behind if you see what I mean. Traffic was heavy so waited, stayed with him, plotting to get him on the bus lane, and he goes and turns off! Bar steward!
  • cjcp
    Blondie's one those I keep an eye out for!

It's possible that I'd see Greg T, but since he works half days, it's unlikely.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    It's possible that I'd see Greg T,

How can you miss him? He blocks an entire field of vision, and ploughs a daily rut in the tarmac? :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    How can you miss him?

Because he's a half day Harry who leaves around 5. I see the trail of devastation left in his wake, but not the man himself.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    How can you miss him?

Because he's a half day Harry who leaves around 5. I see the trail of devastation left in his wake, but not the man himself.

A half day finishes at 5?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    My first post in this thread - The Game was invented well after my London commuting days were over and I now work from home a few miles outside Oxford so lots of nice rural cycling while in between work but no commute.

Just wanted to check whether the bloke who flew past me on a mountain bike last night had claimed me as a scalp - me, Colnago, courier bag, Rapha T-shirt - few points going begging there :oops:

In my defence, I was taking it easy coming out of Oxford and would have had him on the gentle but long incline up towards Woodstock if he hadn't gone the other way at the Wolvercote roundabout :wink:
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Capo wrote:

Just wanted to check whether the bloke who flew past me on a mountain bike last night had claimed me as a scalp - me, Colnago, courier bag, Rapha T-shirt - few points going begging there :oops:

In my defence, I was taking it easy coming out of Oxford and would have had him on the gentle but long incline up towards Woodstock if he hadn't gone the other way at the Wolvercote roundabout :wink:

You'll need to get Cherie Blair to defend you in this hastily convened kangaroo court.....
    Colnago, courier bag, Rapha T-shirt

Unless you are a nine your old girl, asthmatic, one leg, on a recovery day post hard games session I'd suggest that you've been more stitched than the bayeux tapestry.

It was good of you to fess that up as a first posting though... Welcome!

Edited to add....

I am not paid by the yard so stop working when the mind numbing tedium forces me to consider self harm as a good lifestyle choice...

Strangely once I reach this stage I put on tight fitting clothing and mix it with Rush Hour Central London traffic for an hour thrashing myself ragged...

Self harm actually seems to be a valid lifestyle choice.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    cjcp wrote:
    Blondie's one those I keep an eye out for!

Me too, he and jash are the only SCRers I've seen out and about.

Oh, and prj45. He even tried to scalp me! Failed, of course...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I don't see that many fast bikes on my commute - I eat creaky full sus mtbs all the time but to be honest don't really count them or the Argos specials so beloved of the chav - I did once pass a roadie but he may have been ill or possibly dead - I get regular duels with a couple of hybrids but I'm usually faster - exept for one bloke in shorts on a hybrid which I've seen going home twice - score at present is one all 8) 8)

Its not the winning its the taking part - no sorry its the winning