Silly commuting racing

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Great scrap with a roadie today.

He drafted and scalped me going down Filton Hill - I am on fixed, so, could not come back straight away as I was spinning out. He was freewheeling and giving an occasional shove in the big ring as he went past.
    The boil of my frustration burst as I watched him drift away from me - I had to have him.
    Switched to maximum MTFU and powered along the flat until the next hill - I reeled him in a bit, I watched him get out of the saddle on what is, essentially, an undulation - I was determined to stay seated here and kept the momentum - gradually I pulled him in closer. We came to the next hill - I watched him get out of the saddle, again, but was determined to stay plonked on mine - I pushed even harder and got to a point where I knew I could have him before the next round-a-bout, about half a mile......
    Started to push through the traffic on the dual carraigway and took the middle filter position (I am turning right at the round-a-bout), low and behold, before I realised, I had scalped his ass! He looked over as I passed - noted that he looked absolutely knackered......I was determined not to look behind me to see if he was catching up again - Did not see him for the rest of my journey....!

Adding insult to injury, today, I am wearing the worst shirt ever (Black and Purple vertical stripes) - I look like a curtain on a bike.,....
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    will3 wrote:
    Yeah I know I know, and it's the second time it's happened this year, happily in both cases I;ve been able to tickle the bike home (about 5 miles this time, but no hills) :roll:

I had a side plate almost snap once; only skipping gears and the resultant inspection on getting home revealed what had happened. This was after spending most of the week riding between Otley and Bradford, with some occasional detours over the moors above Baildon....I was extremely lucky not to have the thing snap completely on a stiff climb! :shock:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    I believe the last recorded incident of a scooter drafting a bike was when a scooter, desperately low on fuel, had no option but to sit in Greg T's wind shadow along the NKR in order to make it to the next garage.

I think that he was an unwilling passenger in the GT Bum Bumble having no choice but to ride the vortex created by my massive arse. If you wear polarising sun glasses and get caught up in the vacuum wash it looks like the opening credits of Dr Who but instead of a tardis being at the centre of the swirling lights you have my butt cheeks giving it rooty toot at 120 beats a minute.

I had to give the poor bloke a cup of hot sweet tea when we got to my house and directions for how to get back into town.

The number of bikes out this morning was amazing - I've never seen so many. Also some of the hair-em scare-em dodgy bike cutting in and out of traffic action was turning my blood to water...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, loads of bikes this morning, but nothing in the legs. :?

Passed Chelsea Bridge and gave the "Go" signal to the legs. Nothing.

Strange. So, I tried again, a bit louder this time and with a frown: "Go!"

Still nothing.

By the time I'd got to DSC, I'd got a bit of a cough and a splutter out of them, but that was it. I had to dig deep on Millbank to keep my scalp. Not a happy chicken. :? Bodes well for tonight...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Lovely ride round RP this am, deer looming through the mist etc. Went Clockwise but only managed a 19:20 (50 seconds down on last weeks morning anti-clock lap) :? Probably the wrong sort of wind...

To the 2 fellas trying to sprint between Albert and Chelsea Bridge at around 7:45 (baby blue roadie and white Wilier), your scalps are in my office should you want them.

Nearly scalped my sister this morning, heading over Putney Bridge into Chelsea and I spotted her bimbling along on her vespa, went for it only for her to turn off before I could pass, dopy girl didn't even notice me.

Lot of cyclists out there today.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

Still nothing.

By the time I'd got to DSC, I'd got a bit of a cough and a splutter out of them, but that was it. I had to dig deep on Millbank to keep my scalp. Not a happy chicken. :? Bodes well for tonight...
    Ditto. Goddam 3lap challenges, why I oughta...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Still nothing.

I think that's exactly what it is. Got too keen too early this week chasing scooters.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Still nothing.

There was a headwind this morning - always check the flag over the ferry pier opposite Millbank. I was having to dig deep to keep it the right side of 40.

And Parliament Square, FFS! I asked a copper what all the new barricades are for (the ones that have gone up overnight, that jut into the road, remove a lane of traffic, and stretch to Waterloo Bridge).

"I think it's because of the Budget this afternoon".

Jesus. Do these people wake up every fckuing day and think "Wow, I'm pretty important. Certainly more important than I was yesterday. Better get a big ol' security show out to protect me."

This is a Budget. What are they expecting? Hoards of ground-down blameless middle class medium to high earners laying siege to the HoP? These are (I assume) the same people who were last seen wildly dancing in the fountains in Traf Sq and holding street parties after Tory Budgets were announced.

<semi-political rant off>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Had a fab ride in this morning, overtook a 125cc bike, but I don't think it was trying as I doubt I was over 25mph...

Scalped one guy on a Condor FG (rucksack only), on my favourite stretch after the Acton Railway bridge, and cruised in to work enjoying the sunshine.

And I'm back in my clipless sandals! Hurrah! Summer is here!

Lovely! :D:D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Had a fab ride in this morning, overtook a 125cc bike, but I don't think it was trying as I doubt I was over 25mph...

Scalped one guy on a Condor FG (rucksack only), on my favourite stretch after the Acton Railway bridge, and cruised in to work enjoying the sunshine.

And I'm back in my clipless sandals! Hurrah! Summer is here!

Lovely! :D:D

I assume you resisted the urge to take your new toy to work then? Unless they now do speedplay compatible sandals too........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Can't have been the Maxima. Only 25 mph? But then I need a tailwind to hit that speed, can just about manage 20 as long as it's not too windy (can't keep it up for long, mind)...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    I wonder if they DO make clipless sandals that would take speedplays...

No, 'twas the Bowery.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Last night heading to Chiswick I rode the length of High Street Ken with a bloke on a gorgeous, bare carbon Kuota Kharma with Cosmic Carbone wheels, and a woman on a Kona Major Jake who was entirely happy cruising at 22 or 23mph - not a hope of actually scalping her, but equally I didn't do any drafting. Always good to encounter people like that as even if I don't get a scalp, it ups my average speed by a couple of mph and gives me a much better workout.

On the downside, as I got out of my sweaty cycle gear to have a shower, my phone slipped out of my back pocket and into the (already running) shower. It is now an ex-phone, so any of you who have booked me for social engagements please email me - my calendar is on the phone...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Lovely commute today

I chased a Decathlon Hybrid through Colliers Wood to Balham this morning. He was holding a solid and steady pace. Really strong rider. I lose him to the lights at Tooting/Balham drag-strip but catch him by Clapham South Tube/lights.

A extremely beautiful girl on the female variant of the Giant SCR3 is at the lights with us. I’ve encountered her before, she’s a solid rider who can hold some serious pace.

The lights go green and I’m drafting the decathlon, he overtakes the girl on the SCR 3, he tucks back in on the left I stay out wide and scalp him and her good and proper.

Business as usual but very nice commute.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I wonder if they DO make clipless sandals that would take speedplays...

Yes they do, or did. I have some fantastic Nike clipless saddles. As soon as temperature hits the 20's there ain't nothing else on my feet until September.

They are the best!

Look Here: http://www.bicycleapparel.com/sandals.html
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119

Yes they do, or did. I have some fantastic Nike clipless saddles. As soon as temperature hits the 20's there ain't nothing else on my feet until September.

They are the best!

Nike clipless saddles - how would you attach an a*rse cleat? Hmmm
  • il_principe

They are the best!

Bleurgh! Thankfully there appear to be none that take Speedplays so HA!

Sandals on a Viner, it's like heresy but worse*

*shuffles off muttering
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Greg T wrote:
    The number of bikes out this morning was amazing - I've never seen so many. Also some of the hair-em scare-em dodgy bike cutting in and out of traffic action was turning my blood to water...

Yep. After RP never short of a companion all the way in.

All within a couple of miles:
    - DHL van took out cyclists (in full view of heavy policing near HoP who looked like they wanted to say something but couldn't leave their post for fear of imminent attack)
    - 2 taxis dancing with each other across lanes approaching lights: one blocks me off, the other forces someone in to an island.
    - Usual group of lemmings decide red means green and cross just past westminster tube
    - That bloke down along embankment. Glad to hear it didn't look too serious - when I passed an unmarked police car had just arrived.

Number of female cylclists has doubled overnight.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    King Donut wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

- DHL van took out cyclists (in full view of heavy policing near HoP who looked like they wanted to say something but couldn't leave their post for fear of imminent attack)
    - 2 taxis dancing with each other across lanes approaching lights: one blocks me off, the other forces someone in to an island.
    - Usual group of lemmings decide red means green and cross just past westminster tube
    - That bloke down along embankment. Glad to hear it didn't look too serious - when I passed an unmarked police car had just arrived.

One of the "unfortunate" effects of the warm weather!
    Anyhow welcome Donut King, sounds like a nice eventful ride in and aside from the cyclist almost being squashed sounds about par for the course in town :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought

They are the best!

Bleurgh! Thankfully there appear to be none that take Speedplays so HA!

*shuffles off muttering

They don't! Grumble grumble... I'll just have to get some that are made almost entirely of mesh that can be worn with bare feet.

Having hot feet makes me grumpy. :D
  • cjcp
    King Donut wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Yep, welcome KD. What's your route and what are you riding?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kyoukoku
    kyoukoku Posts: 105
    biondino wrote:
    On the downside, as I got out of my sweaty cycle gear to have a shower, my phone slipped out of my back pocket and into the (already running) shower. It is now an ex-phone, so any of you who have booked me for social engagements please email me - my calendar is on the phone...

Best thing to do is take the battery out leave the cover off and let it dry out for a couple of days somewhere where there is a flow of air. You can also try rinsing it out with some isopropyl alcohol (if you have any handy) which will displace any water left in the phone, before letting it dry out properly. It should still work after that as most phones will survive if you do this soon enough.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    kyoukoku wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Best thing to do is take the battery out leave the cover off and let it dry out for a couple of days somewhere where there is a flow of air. You can also try rinsing it out with some isopropyl alcohol (if you have any handy) which will displace any water left in the phone, before letting it dry out properly. It should still work after that as most phones will survive if you do this soon enough.

+1 Good advice, I forgot I had my phone on me after going on the BIG water ride and thorpe park a while back. It got thoroughly soaked but after a few days drying out it worked fine! As long as no power is going through it the water won't make to much difference! I've had some great looks when I've been casually rinsing a laptop keyboard in canteens after some nitwit has emptied their coffee/coke/red wine over it!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino

Apostasy?
  • biondino
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately it was on when it fell in the water and I didn't turn it off afterwards, and since then I have tried the power but the phone won't even switch on. It's basking in the sun at the moment so I'll give it a couple of days but I don't fancy my chances! I wonder what Three's warranty attitude is towards submerged handsets?
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:

Apostasy?

I may have to issue a Fatwa.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    biondino wrote:

Apostasy?

I may have to issue a Fatwa.

May be we could retrain those ninjas from the Mini advert so that every time LiT moves towards the Viner with sandals on they appear?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I wouldn't even put myself in the game yet. FCN 11 - riding the full susser at the moment! Waiting to take delivery of first road bike so things will change in near future. It's not that I don't get scalps, but they just all feel a bit worthless as I'm so lowly!

Route is: Teddington lock > Richmond Park > Putney Bridge > New Kings Rd > Chelsea embankment... all the way along the river until just after Blackfriars underpass.
  • King Donut wrote:

I wouldn't even put myself in the game yet. FCN 11 - riding the full susser at the moment! Waiting to take delivery of first road bike so things will change in near future. It's not that I don't get scalps, but they just all feel a bit worthless as I'm so lowly!

Route is: Teddington lock > Richmond Park > Putney Bridge > New Kings Rd > Chelsea embankment... all the way along the river until just after Blackfriars underpass.

Welcome!

Can you spell t-a-r-g-e-t r-i-c-h e-n-v-i-r-o-n-m-e-n-t? Cos you're in it. Up to your neck!

Not sure what use a fuller susser is on that route, unless you're weight training ...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    King Donut wrote:

Man that's a great commute! You lucky sod!

And welcome!