Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    cjcp wrote:
    A Cat 4 race at Hillingdon will trundle along at 24mph, so lord knows what these pros can do. I think Boonen won Paris Roubaix (on 27mm tyres?) at high40s kph. :shock:

25mm, accroding to cyclingnews tech section, and 42kph.

I am such a geek. :?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    A Cat 4 race at Hillingdon will trundle along at 24mph, so lord knows what these pros can do. I think Boonen won Paris Roubaix (on 27mm tyres?) at high40s kph. :shock:

:lol: I was actually the Tech section last Saturday, reading about Cervelo using different rims and tyres. Were Cervelo using 27 or 28mm? I know Eurosport said the cameras or footage made the images on the screen chunkier, but those tyres did look beefy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Eau Rouge
    cjcp wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol: I was actually the Tech section last Saturday, reading about Cervelo using different rims and tyres. Were Cervelo using 27 or 28mm? I know Eurosport said the cameras or footage made the images on the screen chunkier, but those tyres did look beefy.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... ssler_tire
    Vittoria Pave 27mm's.
    Pozzato's bike was the most interesting, in that it has no special Pave features at all. No extra clearence, no strange geometry, carbon wheels with 23mm tyres! even single wrapped bar tape. The only thing out of the ordinary is the 46T inner chainring and the chainguard.
    And he still couldn't catch Boonen in the end. I guess it really isn't about the bike...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Pozzato's bike was the most interesting, in that it has no special Pave features at all. No extra clearence, no strange geometry, carbon wheels with 23mm tyres! The only thing out of the ordinary is the 46T inner chainring and the chainguard.

Anyone care to comment on the unusual bogey configuration of the famouse Diesel LM 2345? I caught this one at Swindon one weekend.

2827753041_807cdd63b0.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... ssler_tire
    Vittoria Pave 27mm's.
    Pozzato's bike was the most interesting, in that it has no special Pave features at all. No extra clearence, no strange geometry, carbon wheels with 23mm tyres! even single wrapped bar tape. The only thing out of the ordinary is the 46T inner chainring and the chainguard.
    And he still couldn't catch Boonen in the end. I guess it really isn't about the bike...

Someone in Pearsons told me once that 25mm tyres roll just as efficiently as 23s. I wouldn't want to commute on 23s, and did the HOTA on 25s - they are noticeably smoother, and as for P-R or Flanders, you'd have to be bonkers.

@Jash - +1 for the Rubino Pros - I've got a pair on my old wheels that have done over 1,000 miles with only 1 visit from the PF but I'm going to stick some GP4000S s on the road bike and see what all the fuss DDD makes is about. :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Someone in Pearsons told me once that 25mm tyres roll just as efficiently as 23s. I wouldn't want to commute on 23s, and did the HOTA on 25s - they are noticeably smoother, and as for P-R or Flanders, you'd have to be bonkers.

@Jash - +1 for the Rubino Pros - I've got a pair on my old wheels that have done over 1,000 miles with only 1 visit from the PF but I'm going to stick some GP4000S s on the road bike and see what all the fuss DDD makes is about. :)

I use the Rubino Pro's on the commuter, but run GP4000S on the best bike, they are sodding awesome tires!
  • cjcp
    Eau Rouge wrote:

I think the bar tap cost him the race. Not the lack of a second wrapping, but the colour:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/pr ... a_ridley09

Did he ride the same bike for Flanders? I can't find that bit.

Can understand the no extra clearance - think they took a chance that it wouldn't rain, although the clouds did suggest otherwise at the time. Heard the bit about the 46 tooth inner ring. Interesting that this ring is for "the spring classics". Guess he's feeling strong then!

@Christophe - I used the 23mm in Flanders but at 90psi, and was fine. Wouldn't use them for R-R though; NFW! The cobbles are supposedly much more severe and what's good for Tommeke is good for me! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Yay, New PB, 20 mins or 22 mins door2door, would be been quicker if it were not for the 4 close off roads. ahh well that will wait for another day

Scalped a MTB commuter on the way UP the hill this morning, Was buzzing all day about that, Got scalped by a shaved roadie tonight but all is well :)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Eau Rouge
    Greg T wrote:
    [Anyone care to comment on the unusual bogey configuration of the famouse Diesel LM 2345? I caught this one at Swindon one weekend.

yeah yeah, covered this already....
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I am such a geek. :Confused

And to prove it, thats an English Electric Class 37, and isn't that York, not Swindon.
    :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My first scalp for what seems like weeks on the way home tonight - hybrid with panniers but 700 wheels and narrower tyres - bloke wearing shorts and helmet - pulled up behind him at the lights, started chasing him and he panicked - little legs were spinning like a blur - I changed up and steamed past him - by the time I got to the next set of lights he was a yellow dot on the horizon - excellent particularly as I was carrying about 10kg in the saddle bags and his appeared to be empty :lol::lol:

PS GT - don't know where that is but it's not Swindon
  • Eau Rouge
    edited April 2009
    cjcp wrote:

I think he had one of these....
    spokey_folding.jpg
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    gb155 wrote:
    Yay, New PB, 20 mins or 22 mins door2door, would be been quicker if it were not for the 4 close off roads. ahh well that will wait for another day

Scalped a MTB commuter on the way UP the hill this morning, Was buzzing all day about that, Got scalped by a shaved roadie tonight but all is well :)

Well done Gaz - I've only once managed a roadie but I'm always hopeful 8)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I think he had one of these....
    spokey_folding.jpg
    Boonen was on the front, yes?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    :lol:

Good work, Gaz. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    :lol:

Good work, Gaz. :twisted:

Cheers Man :D

• gb155
    gb155 wrote:

Well done Gaz - I've only once managed a roadie but I'm always hopeful 8)

cheers

Yeah roadies are out of touch for me, That said I passed one filtering once, He was being a pussy and I was being an aggressive MTB ox, or something like that, He kicked my arse about 10 mins later though lol

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Seems the ejeets where out in force this evening! Had to take a diversion to get home to grab some bits from a Freecycle offer! This almost doubled my commute (nothing exciting, the usual route is about 2 1/2 miles........)

First ejeet is some tw4t in his lil silver peni5 extension coming towards me on a residential road who leaves it to the VERY last minute to throw on his right indicator and turn! I grab some brake and sling my arms up in a "was that really necessary!!" kinda gesture........he must have seen me coz he stopped a bit up the road as I went past and tooted his horn :-)

Next we have the run of temporary lights that are blighting my neighbourhood as various companies all decided to dig the roads up at the same time. First is 2 cars going through on a red, admittedly I think the lights where faulty as the opposite end was stopped and we didn't change. I gave it a few minutes and ended up thinking "sod this" and rode through carefully as the cars where still queueing at the opposite end.

A little further ahead I was in amazement as another car comes round a corner, straight throw another one of these temporary red lights, has to pull onto the pavement to allow the cars to come the other way and pulls into one of the drives in the works - obviously they must have been in a huge rush to get home.......

On the way back to the house I managed to route through one of the local parks that actually has a shared bike and footpath, whilst imagining for a moment that I actually live closer to SW14 then SE25 :-) Joined the main road, kindly let in my a cyclist coming the opposite way (thank you if your the kind gent heading up south norwood hill this evening and read this ;-)) and then turn off to have a run down towards the house. Spot a drop bar bike heading the opposite way and didn't think twice until I past them, the lucky sod was rolling on deep section Zipp wheels :shock: His attire didn't suggest serious cyclist so that was quite a puzzle :-)

No scalps claimed but it was a nice to have a bit of an extended ride home..........back in town next week and frankly I can't wait for the chance to start hunting properly again!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    A roadie followed me for 10 miles this evening. I saw him at the start, but lost him on the hills, and he only caught up with me when I was pootling the last half mile home, and then I easily kept up and had a bit of a chat.

"You destroyed me on the hills... If you had a proper bike I'd never have caught up with you at all"

Is this a scalp?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    biondino wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Uh-oh.

Who's going to take the first shift on suicide watch for LiT? :wink:

If you do that, I'll take first homicide watch on Sarra Kemp.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Also: :lol::lol:
  • cjcp
    jimmypippa wrote:
    A roadie followed me for 10 miles this evening. I saw him at the start, but lost him on the hills, and he only caught up with me when I was pootling the last half mile home, and then I easily kept up and had a bit of a chat.

"You destroyed me on the hills... If you had a proper bike I'd never have caught up with you at all"

Is this a scalp?

Yep, victory to you. :)

What are you riding if you're not riding a "proper bike"? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Is this a scalp?

Yep, victory to you. :)

What are you riding if you're not riding a "proper bike"? :)

+1 With comments like that he might as well have just waved a white flag.........
    Well done tho, even if you didn't have a "proper" bike :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im very much back in the game!!!

If anyone is riding from southgate/barnet to fenchurch street either 7am or 10am. or home at 4pm or 8pm. Wave at me as you go past!
  • ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    wow, this is the coolest game ever invented it's like free race yeay..
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Spotted a very nice Wilier, Campag shiny bits, pilot with no rucksac at some point in the stop start lights fest of Parsons Green.

Poor lane choice led to him getting away from me and I got trapped behind a bus on the the Col De PB.....

However...

Queens Ride - there he was, little bike cap, Wilier, Campag, no rucksac - Couldn't work out his shaved state or not as I built up a head of steam and whipped through him like Dysentry in a POW camp.

Up the Bolan Dreath Bridge lungs burning but by this stage but he'd been done all ends up and there was no coming back from that.

I also had roast Chicken for my Supper with a fruity glass of Riesling -also Bianchi had a screaming fit just as I was turning in so I got a cuddle from her in the guise of "settling" (she's normally asleep by the time I get home)

Carlsberg don't do evenings but if they did.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    So, wet and windy again - third day in a row I have been soaked....running out of kit! Switched from Fixie to Roadie today so that I could finally wear my shoe covers - they only fit my Sidi cycling shoes (SPD-SL) and won't go over the Converse All Star high tops that I wear on the fixie (normal pedals and clips) - fashion and that!

Anyhoo - saw 2 bikes, passed them both. Bloke on Carbon Pinarello caught me at my last round-a-bout (this is the dude that I pinged last week on the fixie) - Anyway, I was dead chuffed to see him out in such inclement conditions on such a lovely bike - mucho respecto.

I am gonna chat to this guy and use him as a foil - race each other and push each other on - could be a good little training exercise and may re-raise my interest in The Game.....

My legs are tired today though - Quick calculation suggests That I have completed 280 miles since last Saturday - I have another 70 to do this Saturday too....nuts.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    on the fixed due to the weather at the mo...

I took two guys riding together on fixed last night at a roundabout which is awesome for putting the hammer down, I'd been sizing them up for a bit and they're fast as I'd seen them before.. dropped them and they stayed dropped

this morning there were a noticably high % of SS and fixed out there I was racing with this one SS'er (i'd zip past him he's catch me at the lights and I'd pass him again, he was giving it some but each time I went past and the final time where if you're quick you can make the 2nd set of lights I destroyed him and left him at the lights... nice) while racing with him must have past at least 4 ss'ers/fixed types..
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    .......I managed to scalp a police lady on a horse on whiteladies road yesterday, it was pretty easy even though they had a combination of 6 legs verses my 2!! :D:D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    This looks like a good event for all you SCR's on folders:

http://www.nocturneseries.com/smithfield/theevent.php
  • Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?
    Dan
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Sorry to spoil all the fun, but does it ever occur to you that the vast majority of people are just cycling to and from work, and have no interest in, or awareness of racing?

Why would that matter?