Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    Seriously fellas, forget the Gatorslips and try Rubin Pro's. They appear to be completely P* proof*.

*I will of course receive a visit form the fairy tonight for saying this.

I'm open to suggestions. :) Which ones?

These:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Rubino_Pro_Folding_Tyre/5360010640/

Tidy. Comes in red too. That would match my bike, but that would lower my FCN.

(I note your link brings up your very own "Gold" price. :lol: )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Seriously fellas, forget the Gatorslips and try Rubin Pro's. They appear to be completely P* proof*.

These:

Sure that's not yours? It shows my platinum price...

May give these a go when my rear gator needs replacing (probably another six months or so)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Good god no. It's Jash's. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    cjcp wrote:
    but Chapeau fella, although I note you didn't manage to pass me. Pity I wasn't heading for the office as we could have had a decent scrap!

You're being too kind. Drafting involves expending significantly less energy and you were only doing 30mph. Now, if you had had one your 35mph-on-Embankment-moments, and he still sticks with you, then he's probably got a few tricks in his locker and deserves some praise.

:shock:

Erm, I mean, yeah, I often cruise along at that speed. Unless I'm in a hurry of course. :oops:
  • cjcp
    BenBlyth wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    but Chapeau fella, although I note you didn't manage to pass me. Pity I wasn't heading for the office as we could have had a decent scrap!

You're being too kind. Drafting involves expending significantly less energy and you were only doing 30mph. Now, if you had had one your 35mph-on-Embankment-moments, and he still sticks with you, then he's probably got a few tricks in his locker and deserves some praise.

Erm, I mean, yeah, I often cruise along at that speed. Unless I'm in a hurry of course. :oops:

:lol:

Jash is capable of a fair bit more hence the "only" bit, but it came out wrong, didn't it?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    Jash is capable of a fair bit more hence the "only" bit, but it came out wrong, didn't it?

It's a bro-mance.

Can I be bridesmaid?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Brings up my platinum offer as well! CJ, there's no denying it, you are a Gold Wiggler AICMFP.

(ooh, I want a pair of white/white ones...)

Speaking of Wiggle, there Price Drop section has been reinvigorated by a whole batch of "Gill Marine" produce. Anyone know anything about the brand?
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Gill Marine is sailing clobber.

In my experience it's fine, and I even wore a gill dinghy smock as a waterproof top for a while on my old cycle commute - but they don't have the low backs suited to cycling.

Gill's fairly well regarded for sailing, I think.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • cjcp
    sarajoy wrote:

They were in my day. Had some Gill boots, I think, way back when I used to live by the coast, where there weren't any traffic jams, where the air was, um, air...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Brings up my platinum offer as well! CJ, there's no denying it, you are a Gold Wiggler AICMFP.

HTF? I don't spend anywhere near enough! Hold on, or is Plantinum better than Gold?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Yes, Chris, platinum is better than gold :)
  • cjcp
    But I get the British Cycling price? That's Platinum, I think.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

They were in my day. Had some Gill boots, I think, way back when I used to live by the coast, where there weren't any traffic jams, where the air was, um, air...

Yes - but think of all the fun you're having with SCR in the Big Smoke!

As for cruising at 30mph, hmm - I've got a bit of serious training to do to get to 25mph - think I'm more of a plodder!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • biondino
    I know - if I am cruising at 25mph I *know* there's a tailwind or I'm going downhill. TBH unless I can vouch for the riders in question I take any claim of this kind with a considerable pinch of salt :)

(for the record the most impressive thing I've seen a friend do on a bike is Jonginge climbing hills. It's jaw-dropping)
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    biondino wrote:
    I know - if I am cruising at 25mph I *know* there's a tailwind or I'm going downhill. TBH unless I can vouch for the riders in question I take any claim of this kind with a considerable pinch of salt :)

(for the record the most impressive thing I've seen a friend do on a bike is Jonginge climbing hills. It's jaw-dropping)

I don't have any flat roads round me but I am going to try ans cruise at 30mph down a slitle hill I know. What are the pro's cruising along at? Can't be much more than 30, surely. (Ignoring sprinting of course).
  • biondino wrote:

Uh-oh.

Who's going to take the first shift on suicide watch for LiT? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

These:

Sure that's not yours? It shows my platinum price...

Yep - it's not mine, I'm afraid I'm a committed platinum customer... :shock:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    BenBlyth wrote:
    What are the pro's cruising along at? Can't be much more than 30, surely. (Ignoring sprinting of course).

At the Scheldeprijs yesterday, the winner did it in under 4 and ahalf hours, at a 44.9km/h average.
    At Gent-Wevelgem the week before, they were apparently doing between 58 and 63kph for the first hour or so, but thats in a group.
  • il_principe
    BenBlyth wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I don't have any flat roads round me but I am going to try ans cruise at 30mph down a slitle hill I know. What are the pro's cruising along at? Can't be much more than 30, surely. (Ignoring sprinting of course).

The Pro Peloton can cruise flats at 30mph plus. By "cruise" I mean hold over 30 for a good chunk of time. It's all well and good spanking 30 plus but holding it for any length of time is another matter entirely!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I can hold 28mph but no one will believe me.

:cry::cry::cry: :x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Uh-oh.

If you do that, I'll take first homicide watch on Sarra Kemp.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Uh-oh.

If you do that, I'll take first homicide watch on Sarra Kemp.

Is she fit?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    Just looked out some stats - Carlos Sastre won the 2008 TDF with an average speed of 25.17mph over 2211 miles!

• jonginge
    Just looked out some stats - Carlos Sastre won the 2008 TDF with an average speed of 25.17mph over 2211 miles!

He was only off the front for about 10 of those miles, though (all of the Alpe and the last few k up to Prato Nevoso). But, yeah, puts our meagre speeds into perspective.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    During my visit to the big smoke this morning I noted a large number of cycle commuters NOT wearing full lycra :shock: does not compute ...!

As I was on foot today I also noticed that my recent extended absence from the game has meant i've been spending much more time on the bike which might explain why my knees hurts like hell after walking for 5 mins :shock: Is it possible my body has forgotten how to walk :?

Back in Windshire it's dry sunny and no wind and on my rest day :evil: where's the justice I ask you.

As you were...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    It's amazing the difference a proper peloton and closed roads makes. I remember the first 20 miles of last years Etape, we got in a good sized bunch and were hooning along empty, flat french tarmac at 25mph plus with what felt like naff all effort. Didn't last of course!
  • cjcp
    A Cat 4 race at Hillingdon will trundle along at 24mph, so lord knows what these pros can do. I think Boonen won Paris Roubaix (on 27mm tyres?) at high40s kph. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Very true. Watched the tour from the roadside a couple of times. The amount of draft the peloton produces is awesome.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    itboffin wrote:
    As I was on foot today I also noticed that my recent extended absence from the game has meant i've been spending much more time on the bike which might explain why my knees hurts like hell after walking for 5 mins :shock: Is it possible my body has forgotten how to walk :?

My lower back is giving me some stick at the moment but once I'm on the bike it's fine - weird...very weird.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009