Thanks Man :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Flippin' 'eck! You have lost weight! Cracking effort!

When does the road bike arrive? :wink::D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What time is everyone off? :lol:

9:30 :cry:

But not much action down here as you know!

:lol: (about the lack of action, not about the ETD.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    cjcp wrote:
    Flippin' 'eck! You have lost weight! Cracking effort!

When does the road bike arrive? :wink::D

Cheers R Kid

I got a Dawes Hybrid, Commuted once, Never used it again, Really really really hated everything about it, Sold it for a loss and got the GT Expert, Never looked back, I will try again with road bikes but it will be a while before I do

• Had the ultimate test tonight in the headwind..............................

Smug chap with beard riding a recumbant. :(

He knew I was going have to push it to get him. He was right, but I stayed ahead.

Sarajoy
    I could have scalped a woman this morning. .........................
    So I was embarrassed at maybe looking a little bit too keen, clean and shiny. Isn't that rubbish?

Sara - get some of that high protein 'bacon' that Greg despises so much and get pedalling faster. Nothing ventured, nothing gained
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    Only action of note tonight was a scooter. Twice. :D

We set off down the slope off Chelsea Bridge towards Albert Bridge. He was to the side of me and a bike in front approaching. Tthe squeal coming from the engine suggested that it wasn't going to be accelerating anytime soon. So, hammer went down and that was the last I saw of him until Battersea Bridge. Bit of a moratorium on SCR until we get past the Wandsworth Bridge Road turning. He's ahead of me, but I'm gaining, albeit a bit too quickly, so I have to slow down. :)

Same thing again along the NKR to Putney Bridge. But he's hovering just on the outside of the bike lane and the road in that bike lane is poor quality. Only one thing for it. Hammer down again and I pass him on the outside, dropping him like a sack of spuds. :D

Unfortunately, he beat me to the top of the summit of Col de Putney Bridge from a standing stand at the lights and collected the KoM points. Daggnabbit. :x
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Good skills though CJ :D

Nothing to report from my ride. Except a new PB by a minute. The magic 35min barrier has been broken. 20mph door to door. None of this 'ride time' nonsense, actuals, I tell you :D
    I must admit it did seem like they'd trialed the 'Green wave' thing just for me. A bit of RL karma for last night's and this morning's rides.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    cjcp wrote:
    Only action of note tonight was a scooter. Twice. :D

We set off down the slope off Chelsea Bridge towards Albert Bridge. He was to the side of me and a bike in front approaching. Tthe squeal coming from the engine suggested that it wasn't going to be accelerating anytime soon. So, hammer went down and that was the last I saw of him until Battersea Bridge. Bit of a moratorium on SCR until we get past the Wandsworth Bridge Road turning. He's ahead of me, but I'm gaining, albeit a bit too quickly, so I have to slow down. :)

Same thing again along the NKR to Putney Bridge. But he's hovering just on the outside of the bike lane and the road in that bike lane is poor quality. Only one thing for it. Hammer down again and I pass him on the outside, dropping him like a sack of spuds. :D

Unfortunately, he beat me to the top of the summit of Col de Putney Bridge from a standing stand at the lights and collected the KoM points. Daggnabbit. :x
    JonGinge wrote:
    Nothing to report from my ride. Except a new PB by a minute. The magic 35min barrier has been broken. 20mph door to door. None of this 'ride time' nonsense, actuals, I tell you
    I must admit it did seem like they'd trialed the 'Green wave' thing just for me. A bit of RL karma for last night's and this morning's rides.

Animals, the pair of you. I stayed in town to watch the football and then recorded a PB as well. No traffic whatsoever may have played a part. Just like it must be in the shires, a whole 15 mile journey and maybe two cyclists. :cry:

And CJCP - I checked the video and you were definitely flashing. :)
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Feeling strong like a bull today, Wind looks to have chilled out, Im gonna go for a PB time, Wish me luck and ride safe

Gaz

• cjcp
    @Christophe - phew! :) Ta for checking.

JG/Christophe - good skills on the PBs too. :D

Looks like we're all hittting a bit of form (or no traffic, getting a good run on the lights etc etc :) ) because I too set a PB on the way in this morning. 47:30.

Left home a bit earlier this morning, and was on Greg T watch. No sightings. :twisted:

Now, was here a headwind this morning? If so, that would explain why I think my overall PB is about 44 on a journey home last summer with a tailwind.

Looks like someone came off on the first bend of Broomfield this morning. Two cyclists were with him and they say all was fine, but an ambulance was on its way on the stretch from Roehampton Gate, I guess as a precaution. Hope the chap's all right.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    Left home a bit earlier this morning, and was on Greg T watch. No sightings. :twisted:

Didn't we once have a gentlemen's race up the Col de Putney Bridge?

Do you remember who won? I'm getting on a bit now and can't quite recall.....

It may not have been you - it was post Morpeth and was on the Magic Carpet.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Didn't we once have a gentlemen's race up the Col de Putney Bridge?

Do you remember who won? I'm getting on a bit now and can't quite recall.....

It may not have been you - it was post Morpeth and was on the Magic Carpet.

You still feasting off former glories, old timer?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Didn't notice much of a headwind but I wasn't paying much attention to anything but the state of the roads. Dialed it down a notch coz of the wetness and picked up a dossard from DSC to blackfriars. Think it was the same one as yesterday but it's difficult to tell these hi-viz jacketeers apart, donchaknow ;)
    52kph through blackfriars tunnel, not bad as I caught a taxi and had to freewheel halfway through it...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    26 mins Willesden to Bermondsey St this morning. 1 roadie scalp numerous fluro pootlers.
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    You still feasting off former glories, old timer?

Ah, like fine old wine it just gets better and better.......

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    JonGinge wrote:
    Didn't notice much of a headwind but I wasn't paying much attention to anything but the state of the roads. Dialed it down a notch coz of the wetness and picked up a dossard from DSC to blackfriars. Think it was the same one as yesterday but it's difficult to tell these hi-viz jacketeers apart, donchaknow ;)
    52kph through blackfriars tunnel, not bad as I caught a taxi and had to freewheel halfway through it...

Left late this morning in time for the proper rain :oops: and it was indeed very greasy. Felt the back step out a couple of times and am wondering how much life is left in my Gatorskins. Tried GregT's idea of pushing a roadie up Holland Park Rd to Notting Hill :oops: - he'd clocked me at Sheherds Bush and stepped up a notch at the bottom of the drag but either his heart wasn't in it or he just blew up. Some hilarious trackstanding from this dude - probably used all his energy up wobbling madly from side to side... :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nothing yesterday and the bike shed was empty when I got to work - weather was a bit damp - same today although better weather - MTFU people
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    You lot have got me going on this reading your posts, now I know I am not daft enough to try and take a roadie ( to be honest they aren't that many on my commute) but I am in the hunt for the hybrids etc, the last two days has been very frustrating, on my way I have had two in my sights and I have gained many a yard, only to see them turn off a side street before I get them :roll: The day will come'th when I scalp them.
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • Greg T
    [quote="Christophe3967Left late this morning in time for the proper rain :oops: and it was indeed very greasy. Felt the back step out a couple of times [/quote]

I had my back wheel step out on me as well.

It was slippy out there - also a bit of rain shows up just how much diesel is on the roads as well.

Stay off the steel work everyone.

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Not much this morning - headwind, again. Couple of MTB's to blingo past and watched a Police van T-bone a car on a round-a-bout......funnily enough, the car driver was a f*ckwit though! Decided to stop in the middle of the island as he thought I was gonna pull out on him - JUST KEEP GOING, I'LL SORT MYSELF OUT!!!!!! Hence the van, looking right, and not realising there was a car stopped in fron of him!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Back on the bike after a nice long weekend… I dispatched 3 roadies with little effort, I did have some competition from a rlj’ing hybrid, he was pretty quick and took a little extra to drop him but he would get past at the lights each time until I heard this almighty screeching as I guess his disc brakes seized.. bam he’s gone
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    Felt the back step out a couple of times and am wondering how much life is left in my Gatorskins.

+1 for my Gatorskins too. The Parlt Square and Millbank ironworks: not good in this weather, so the speed comes right down.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    picked up a dossard from DSC to blackfriars. Think it was the same one as yesterday

He was quick. He's got enough to catch up and then hang on. Not so fast when forced to plough the road himself though. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    Seriously fellas, forget the Gatorslips and try Rubin Pro's. They appear to be completely P* proof*.

*I will of course receive a visit form the fairy tonight for saying this.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Had a wonderful ride home yesterday (even if it was hot and muggy and gross post-storm) - high gears, fast hills, generally speedy overall...
    ...but so did everyone else. I love tail winds but it rather p*sses on your bonfire when you realise you haven't actually just leapt up a fitness level...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    "Am I not DonDaddyD? Do I not butcher the roads that give my bike purpose and yet ironically force feed me into this hell called work? Is not my commute crimson with the scalp of my allies and enemies alike?

I left work around 7pm yesterday, in 'anger most fierce'. Each pedal stroke home was full of frustration and hatered.

I despacthed everything along Clapham Park Road (again) including some dude with TT bars. (There are so many cyclists on this road and so many clearly trying it on - Like a few weeks back some dude at the lights breathing heavy looking at me all frustrated and hurt because he dared to keep up, I worked him, he's lucky I didn't take years off his life by going so fast. Its the acceleration it kills them).

I don't mess about on this road either, as soon as I turn onto it it's head down - elbows tucked in - knees supple - calf, ankle and thighs tight - make the transformers sound - and pedal like you hate creation itself. I Don't stop (unless for red lights) until Clapham highroad where traffic demands I slow down.
    Yeah I'm fat, lazy and can't do hills but all of that means nought when the rage is on.

Later on I then had a battle with a guy on a red Bianchi. Dropped him several times over, but couldn't leave him at the lights. Along the Balham/Tooting drag strip he put down a little sprint, he even tried to get ahead of me. I wasn't in the mood for fun and games, I annihilated him.

I felt like jumping off my bike and screaming
    "WHO ELSE WANTS SOME!!!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    Seriously fellas, forget the Gatorslips and try Rubin Pro's. They appear to be completely P* proof*.

I'm open to suggestions. :) Which ones?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Am I not DonDaddyD? Do I not butcher the roads that give my bike purpose and yet ironically force feed me into this hell called work? Is not my commute crimson with the scalp of my allies and enemies alike?

I left work around 7pm yesterday, in 'anger most fierce'. Each pedal stroke home was full of frustration and hatered.

I despacthed everything along Clapham Park Road (again) including some dude with TT bars. (There are so many cyclists on this road and so many clearly trying it on - Like a few weeks back some dude at the lights breathing heavy looking at me all frustrated and hurt because he dared to keep up, I worked him, he's lucky I didn't take years off his life by going so fast. Its the acceleration it kills them).

I don't mess about on this road either, as soon as I turn onto it it's head down - elbows tucked in - knees supple - calf, ankle and thighs tight - make the transformers sound - and pedal like you hate creation itself. I Don't stop (unless for red lights) until Clapham highroad where traffic demands I slow down.
    Yeah I'm fat, lazy and can't do hills but all of that means nought when the rage is on.

Later on I then had a battle with a guy on a red Bianchi. Dropped him several times over, but couldn't leave him at the lights. Along the Balham/Tooting drag strip he put down a little sprint, he even tried to get ahead of me. I wasn't in the mood for fun and games, I annihilated him.

I felt like jumping off my bike and screaming
    "WHO ELSE WANTS SOME!!!"

And Angry from Manchester writes to complain about all the repeats on tv...

:lol: Were you growling or snarling this time?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    cjcp wrote:

I'm open to suggestions. :) Which ones?

These:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Rubino_Pro_Folding_Tyre/5360010640/