Silly commuting racing

Comments

• @G66 - brilliant!! Love it - even if I am not part of the massive.

I've got rid of some of my pent-up competitiveness - I just went to the gym and swimming! Gym was encouraging indeed - successfully did 20 minutes on a moderate resistance on the spinning bike without any ill effects. EDIT: Yet

Then I got in the pool. Somewhere I have a proper, practical cossie, but for now I'm using a silly halterneck thing, and I can't find my hat but can find my old swedish master goggles. So I'm in the fast lane, fiddling with said goggles, when a bloke in a fastskin gets in. For people who aren't geeks, that's what michael phelps wears. It's £300-ish of cossie. He didn't look worth it.

Now I'm standing in the fast lane, holiday cossie, goggles held together with string. He does a LOT of stretches then says to me 'could you move into the slow lane, I don't want you to hold me up, I'm training.'

This is going to be fun :twisted:

I obediently move, add a pull-buoy to my mix and set off. Eventually, it sounds like the apocalypse is taking place in the fast lane, I stick my head up and see what looks for all the world like a loose outboard motor being dragged along the pool.

I'm easily doing 1.5 lengths to his 1. I time myself so we reach the end at the same time every so often, then zip off past him. After 10 or so lengths he stops, so I do too, and hand him the pull-buoy.

'You want this now? I'm done with it'

I'm feeling better already. :twisted:

That is SCHWEEET!

The old "more is more" school of swimming never fails to raise a smile. I wonder: do these people look at fish, and think to themselves "stupid fish. If you thrashed around a lot more like me you'd go a lot faster"

I love watching the people who think they can do butterfly. I wonder if they know that they idea is not to land on each stroke.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    The old "more is more" school of swimming never fails to raise a smile. I wonder: do these people look at fish, and think to themselves "stupid fish. If you thrashed around a lot more like me you'd go a lot faster"

I love watching the people who think they can do butterfly. I wonder if they know that they idea is not to land on each stroke.

:lol::lol:

So, so true.

I have internal battles between offering helpful advice and scalping. Scalping almost always wins.

• I have internal battles between offering helpful advice and scalping. Scalping almost always wins.

You need to kill that nasty streak of charity in you stone dead. It's not big and it's not clever. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

I have internal battles between offering helpful advice and scalping. Scalping almost always wins.

You need to kill that nasty streak of charity in you stone dead. It's not big and it's not clever. :twisted:

Oh yes, sorry, what was I thinking? I've let myself down, I've let you all down. :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:

You need to kill that nasty streak of charity in you stone dead
    . It's not big and it's not clever. :twisted:

smasheynicey.jpg
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Showing my ignorance here - what's a pull-buoy?
  • don_don wrote:

It's a little float that you hold between your legs in order to swim using just your arms. It stops your legs sinking and slowing you down.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    So you and just your arms scalped and rescalped a bloke in a fastsuit training and using arms and legs? This is beyond chapeau territory.
  • il_principe
    *Doffs swimcap
  • don_don wrote:
    don_don wrote:

It's a little float that you hold between your legs in order to swim using just your arms. It stops your legs sinking and slowing you down.

Can I be your pull-buoy?

:twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino wrote:
    So you and just your arms scalped and rescalped a bloke in a fastsuit training and using arms and legs? This is beyond chapeau territory.

Nah. Beyond chapeau territory would have been if she'd scalped and rescalped him using only her legs. Now *that* would have been impressive.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino wrote:

Yes yes yes but it was clearly a case of all show and no go. If he'd been as good as his cossie I'd have had no chance.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Nah. Beyond chapeau territory would have been if she'd scalped and rescalped him using only her legs. Now *that* would have been impressive.

That really would have been impressive! Next time the opportunity arises I'll try it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well done LiT's but I think you really need to get back on the bike ASAP, start small the school run that sort of thing :lol:

Has the SCR been creeping into other areas of your life? trolley racing round the supermarket perhaps, shouting scalp!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    don_don wrote:

Oh I see, thankyou :)

Greg66 wrote:
    don_don wrote:
    don_don wrote:

Can I be your pull-buoy?

:twisted:

Even I wouldn't have tried that one :roll:
  • @LiT - WELL DONE :-D You've done us all proud ;-) I have to admit I didn't know what a pull-buoy was (assuming it added resistance) but to out-do him with just your arms is impressive!

Having said that, and knowing the kind of gearing you use, I'd hate to think what you'd have achieved using your legs as well :lol:

Back sorta OT, I'm hopefully gonna get the roadie back out tomorrow as I'm just sick of all the work I need to do on the MTB! Also thanks for the suggestion ITB but a SS one of these:

apollo-abyss-2003.jpg
    (Only pic I could find!)

is probably not the best idea :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Where did all the scalps go :(
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Tonight, for the first time this week, I got a scalp!
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    I'm easily doing 1.5 lengths to his 1. I time myself so we reach the end at the same time every so often, then zip off past him. After 10 or so lengths he stops, so I do too, and hand him the pull-buoy. 'You want this now? I'm done with it'
    To the tune of Battle Hymn Of The Republic:
      "Mine eyes have seen the glory of this girl upon her bicyles; She is trampling out the vintage from the poser's shattered testicles; She is lightning in the swim-lane when the road is full of icicles; And her soul goes laughing on!"
    Hats off gentlemen!
  • Wow. :shock:

Did anyone see that thing this morning?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Eh?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • What thing? There was a thing? I probably missed it because I was on the tube having allowed the 'severe' weather warnings to persuade me that I should leave the bike at home.

Mutter mutter met office mutter mutter.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I got caught up as Tower bridge went up this morning.. as we set off a folder chanced his arm against me as I was just dawdling in feeling the effects of many a beer last night... cheeky little blighter, needless to say I woke up and left him for dead. I did feel the fear that other must get as I take them on the brompton :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What thing? There was a thing? I probably missed it because I was on the tube having allowed the 'severe' weather warnings to persuade me that I should leave the bike at home.

Foolish. :P Never, ever believe the weather men. It was supposed to snow/is supposed to be snowing. I see no snow.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    What thing? There was a thing? I probably missed it because I was on the tube having allowed the 'severe' weather warnings to persuade me that I should leave the bike at home.

Foolish. :P Never, ever believe the weather men. It was supposed to snow/is supposed to be snowing. I see no snow.

In restrospect, you're right. There was a light dusting evident in Ealing, but the main change was that the ice had melted and turned into brown slush.

However I'm still a bit mentally scarred from my nightmarish drive on sunday night which resulted from my 'it'll be fine' attitude.

Next week, next week... :x
  • Oh come on!

You must have at least felt it, surely?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I'm becoming increasingly suspicious about the identity of this thing if you could feel it without having seen it... :shock:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I think I may have seen/felt it too, despite being 250-odd miles away :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh come on!

You must have at least felt it, surely?

I see your sig has changed does this mean you're BACK in the game....?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    I saw it, Greg is back in the game:

Old%20man%20and%20bike%20at%20glenfarne.jpg