Silly commuting racing

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I spy a raleigh banana - cool, old school !! - hang on he's riding on the pavement !!
    then he jumps off the pavement and cuts across, against the flow of traffic, through a set of lights when they're on red - and 50 yrds later he RLJs at aonther set !!!

Right, I was going to not claim him as a scalp due to the fact he's about 14yrs old and the bike's a little too big for him, but nah, if you're in the kitchen I'm turning on the heat...

bear in mind I'm on my Mountain bike (ahh must calc my FCN for that, 2.3in knobbly's but with SPD) so he goes through the lights, I wait at them, they go green and we're off

he's got to his top speed, I get into gear and position myself on the road to make sure cars use the second lane,

power on, straight past, SCALP !! first one on the new bike, feels good...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh come on!

You must have at least felt it, surely?

Nope, nothing here. No thunder, no lightening, no Hooded Claw-stylee evil laugh. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • We interrupt our normal programme for this Emergency News Bulletin.

We've received numerous reports over the last few minutes of spontaneous atmospheric static discharge and what have been described as "ground level wake vortices" from the South West and Central London areas.

Emergency services have advised members of the public to stay calm and remain indoors. At present, there is no explanation for these phenomena.

We now return you to our normal programme.

Uh-oh.

It's happening again...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    We interrupt our normal programme for this Emergency News Bulletin.

We've received numerous reports over the last few minutes of spontaneous atmospheric static discharge and what have been described as "ground level wake vortices" from the South West and Central London areas.

Emergency services have advised members of the public to stay calm and remain indoors. At present, there is no explanation for these phenomena.

Uh-oh.

It's happening again...

Bad wind, eh? Settlers are pretty effective. Alternatively, just fart like a wizard until you get rid of it all.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    We interrupt our normal programme for this Emergency News Bulletin.

Uh-oh.

It's happening again...

Bad wind, eh? Settlers are pretty effective. Alternatively, just fart like a wizard until you get rid of it all.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Woowzzzerssss :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

snow snow snow

Not sure how the rest of the Bristol boys'n'gals have faired today but blimey there was a lot of snow, even struggled on the MTB in Clifton as the snow was so deep and the A369 was one big snowy carpark!!!!!! I did however scalp atleast 100 cars!!!! although technically I was riding on the wrong side of the road quite a lot but hey there were no cars coming that way :)
    There were a lot of umimpressed drivers who had been sat in there cars for quite some time seeing some snow covered cretin ride past with a big grin on his face (and very numb hands) and occasionally stopping to take a photo :)
    Only saw one other rider today
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    jazz odyssey
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I AM DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS
    I AM THE CHAOS-BRINGER
    IN MY WAKE LIES DESPAIR AND DESTRUCTION
    IN ME THE FURY IS AGAIN UNBOUNDED
    FEAR NOT FOR YOURSELVES, FOR YOUR SOULS ARE DOOMED
    THE END OF AGE HAS COME.

I’M BACK!
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    FCN Zero. Like ice. Look for the black and red bag disappearing over the horizon.

Bike1 Bike2
  • There's a sense of cosmic realignment, yes, it suddenly seems that with the release of Greg66-A, clearly the improved beta version without the glitches in the old model, that order is somehow restored...

Also the new version's bag is black and red as opposed to red and black...
  • itboffin
    Greg66-A wrote:
    I AM DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS
    I AM THE CHAOS-BRINGER
    THE END OF AGE HAS COME.

I’M BACK!

You should talk to Greg66 he has very similar delusions of grandeur :P :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    Greg66-A wrote:
    I AM THE CHAOS-BRINGER
    THE END OF AGE HAS COME.

I’M BACK!

Awwww, that's so sweet. Little puddy catty kins. :P

Game on, Gandalf. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I wonder how much speed and power the OLD MAN has lost during his enforced sabbatical at his age it's going to take years to regain his former performance. :twisted:

If at all............
  • Right. That's the alter ego crammed back in his rightful place. Normal service has been restored.

And yes, I'm back. :twisted:
    I saw it, Greg is back in the game:

Old%20man%20and%20bike%20at%20glenfarne.jpg
    cjcp wrote:
    Game on, Gandalf. :twisted:
    itboffin wrote:
    I wonder how much speed and power the OLD MAN has lost during his enforced sabbatical at his age it's going to take years to regain his former performance. :twisted:

Lots of brave words here boys :wink:

Saw the top side of 55 kph in the week on the flat. So yeah, I'm not 100%. Yet. But I'm back in The Game good and proper.

Think of me as Gandalf the White. Might just be the last thought you have. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • the new version's bag is black and red as opposed to red and black...

That's how you tell us apart...

And he's not really new. We share. :twisted:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    the new version's bag is black and red as opposed to red and black...

That's how you tell us apart...

And he's not really new. We share. :twisted:

Ahhhh I see.

Can I request that the beta version of G66 post speeds in MPH rather than KPH? I mean, I know the bigger numbers sound more impressive and all, but I'm not good enough at mental arithmetic to divide by 1.6 on the hoof.
  • Ahhhh I see.

Can I request that the beta version of G66 post speeds in MPH rather than KPH? I mean, I know the bigger numbers sound more impressive and all, but I'm not good enough at mental arithmetic to divide by 1.6 on the hoof.

I might helpfully point out that the computer you're using very probably has a computational engine in it called a c-a-l-c-u-l-a-t-o-r. Programs/Accessories/Calculator? Maybe? Just maybe? :D:D:D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    I bet Greg66 still converts everything into old money, 3n6, 2 bob and all that :P
  • itboffin wrote:
    I bet Greg66 still converts everything into old money, 3n6, 2 bob and all that :P

Oi! That was half a crown in my day. Almost a month's wages :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited February 2009
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ahhhh I see.

I might helpfully point out that the computer you're using very probably has a computational engine in it called a c-a-l-c-u-l-a-t-o-r. Programs/Accessories/Calculator? Maybe? Just maybe? :D:D:D

Hmmmm yes but that involves clicking start, clicking 'programs', clicking accessories, clicking calculator, typing, and then going 'ah'. Way too slow for the MTV generation.

I have a whole team here who do maths for me, damn it, I'm not used to having to calculate all by myself. :wink:
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah wages! i vaguely remember those.
  • Hmmmm yes but that involves clicking start, clicking 'programs', clicking accessories, clicking calculator, typing, and then going 'ah'. Way too slow for the MTV generation.

Oooorrr... Right clicking on the item in the Accessories list, and sending it to the Desktop as a shortcut....

And then sticking it in the Quicklaunch bar ...? :wink::D:wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Ah wages! i vaguely remember those.

Yes, wages = the things you spend on beer.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Hmmmm yes but that involves clicking start, clicking 'programs', clicking accessories, clicking calculator, typing, and then going 'ah'. Way too slow for the MTV generation.

Oooorrr... Right clicking on the item in the Accessories list, and sending it to the Desktop as a shortcut....

See, you could have put all the thinking and typing you did just there to use converting speed to MPH for me... but no. ;)

You know how men get out of doing housework by doing it badly? Well that's what I do with maths.
  • You know how men get out of doing housework by doing it badly?

Yeah. In our house, they pay for the cleaning lady. :x

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,357
    Greg66-A wrote:
    I AM THE CHAOS-BRINGER
    THE END OF AGE HAS COME.

Oh my BACK!
    :cry::cry::cry: :

Fixed that for you! :P
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Greg66-A wrote:
    I AM THE CHAOS-BRINGER
    THE END OF AGE HAS COME.

Oh my BACK!
    :cry::cry::cry: :

Fixed that for you! :P

:lol::lol::lol:

That's one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on here. Brilliant.
  • itboffin
    Chapeau :lol:
  • Greg66 wrote:

PAH, shortcuts are for mere mortals!

The l337 way to get to calc is 3 short steps:

1. Windows Key + R
    2. Type "calc"
    3. Press enter

Alternatively for all your converting needs try this:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml

Doesn't need installing and can even run from a USB drive so you never have to be without your swiss army knife unit convertor!

Anyhow glad to hear your back Mr G66! The embankment has it's resident rocket back so everyone be on your guard!

Took my roadie to work today and boy what a difference it made! Once I got re-acquainted with the "proper" riding position - rather then the relaxed, upright one on my MTB - I was flying! Clocked up a 26.8MPH pulling away ahead of traffic through Croydon after executing 3 lovely trackstands at the previous sets of traffic lights!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    A friend of mine works for Camden borough and sent me their latest newsletter. This piece caught my eye:
    My cycle commute

GP describes his commute using as a framework a code for the wise cyclist devised by Paul de Vivie, (aka Vélocio) the father of cycle touring and inventor of derailleur gears:

1. Keep your stops short and few
    Well this is easy, my commute from Crouch End to the Town Hall is only five miles and takes about 25 minutes. I don’t stop at all, with the exception of red lights, of course.

2. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty
    I always have breakfast. I’ve just calculated that the commute itself burns approximately 400 calories which is about 4.5 slices of toast (or 2.3 pints of lager).

3. Never get too tired to eat or sleep
    I have never been too tired to sleep.

4. Add a layer before you're cold, take one off before you're hot
    British weather throws up some difficulties in this department. A combination of layers, a cap under my helmet, some good gloves and avoiding waterproofs unless it is really pouring does the trick.

5. Lay off wine, meat and tobacco on tour
    This is important. My commute begins with short sharp climb up Crouch Hill and riding fixed there is no easy option. I’m not convinced about avoiding meat though – although de Vivie was a vegetarian (not to mention Esperanto speaker).

6. Ride within yourself, especially in the first hour
    The long straight gentle climb of Liverpool Road allows for some passive aggressive commuter racing. I refuse to participate. Commuter racing is the embryonic stage of racing proper which inevitably leads to disappointment. I remind myself that a drop in professional wins may have lead to Marco Pantani’s descent into depression and ultimately his untimely death in 2004 from a cocaine overdose.

7. Never show off
    Point 6 covers this to some extent. Otherwise I refrain from popping wheelies or laying down leg-over-handlebar-skids.

So there you have it - Silly Commuter Racing may lead to dependency on class A drugs.

Just say No kids :roll:
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    A friend of mine works for Camden borough and sent me their latest newsletter. This piece caught my eye:
    My cycle commute

GP describes his commute using as a framework a code for the wise cyclist devised by Paul de Vivie, (aka Vélocio) the father of cycle touring and inventor of derailleur gears:

1. Keep your stops short and few
    Well this is easy, my commute from Crouch End to the Town Hall is only five miles and takes about 25 minutes. I don’t stop at all, with the exception of red lights, of course.

2. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty
    I always have breakfast. I’ve just calculated that the commute itself burns approximately 400 calories which is about 4.5 slices of toast (or 2.3 pints of lager).

3. Never get too tired to eat or sleep
    I have never been too tired to sleep.

4. Add a layer before you're cold, take one off before you're hot
    British weather throws up some difficulties in this department. A combination of layers, a cap under my helmet, some good gloves and avoiding waterproofs unless it is really pouring does the trick.

5. Lay off wine, meat and tobacco on tour
    This is important. My commute begins with short sharp climb up Crouch Hill and riding fixed there is no easy option. I’m not convinced about avoiding meat though – although de Vivie was a vegetarian (not to mention Esperanto speaker).

6. Ride within yourself, especially in the first hour
    The long straight gentle climb of Liverpool Road allows for some passive aggressive commuter racing. I refuse to participate. Commuter racing is the embryonic stage of racing proper which inevitably leads to disappointment. I remind myself that a drop in professional wins may have lead to Marco Pantani’s descent into depression and ultimately his untimely death in 2004 from a cocaine overdose.

7. Never show off
    Point 6 covers this to some extent. Otherwise I refrain from popping wheelies or laying down leg-over-handlebar-skids.

So there you have it - Silly Commuter Racing may lead to dependency on class A drugs.

Just say No kids :roll: