Silly commuting racing

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Near killed me this morning - high winds, snow and very cold! Picked the wrong gear on the SS and hurt me knee......boo.
    Still, I overtook a roadie and a load of mountain bikes!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Near killed me this morning - high winds, snow and very cold! Picked the wrong gear on the SS and hurt me knee......boo.
    Still, I overtook a roadie and a load of mountain bikes!

Im packing the snow chains for the morning, I live on a hill, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    All SCR has been suspended due to the wrong kind of snow :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    SCR was on my mind as much as safety was on the mind of the impatient driver who nearly slid into me this morning. Thanks, fella. It's all melted now but it's going to return at some point, hopefully when i'm home.
  • How about this for a snowmobile (thankfully I was working at home today anyway!):

DSC02839_small.jpg
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    SiHughes wrote:
    How about this for a snowmobile (thankfully I was working at home today anyway!):

DSC02839_small.jpg

Is that your bike? if so why is it chained to a lamp post if your at home???
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This is the city. We don't own fields where we can build sheds the size of aircraft hangars to store our small army of bikes. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wow I've been away for a loong time.. I used to procrastinate on this thread in the summer when writing up my thesis and saw the early pages of this monster..I now commute to a real job but sadly the ride is only 2.6 miles now and I usually ride shotgun to my girlfriend at a slower than I'd like speed.

Anyway the discussion point I wish to bring up today due to the weather.. do we invert the FCN table on days where snow is present and MTBs have a blatant advantage?

To be honest, the roads were fine this morning (can't say teh same for poor peds on the ungritted pavements!!) and only just settling tonight so my 28mm wide marathon pluses were almost the perfect tool but I dread tomorrow AM if it snows and freezes more.

The real enemy are the small and bee-sting-like snowflakes on your eyes as you go downhill.. I mean BRAKING going downhill where I normally overtakes cars at 30mph.. that is just wrong!! :roll: :D
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • iain_j
    SiHughes - you don't need the lock, you can barely see the bike under all that snow!

Tonight's commute home was a hell of a lot more fun than this morning's, but with a forecast for freezing temperatures again overnight I'm afraid it'll be the bus tomorrow :oops:
  • iain_j - make sure you get some more beers in to make you feel better when you get home after a miserable journey on the bus tomorrow. while i roll out the knobblies again :wink:
  • iain_j
    When I get home? I'll need something to get me through the morning bus journey :shock:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Scalp this morning, had at least 300 metres on me, but was pathetic on his knobbly tyres, he even took a short cut to try and beat me as I used the cycle path.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No one on the home run tonight but the deeper snow made going easier - just glad I switched from slicks to the Marathons - not sure about tomorrow - depends on the freeze level
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Just about to head out, Not really looking for a scalp but if one is presented then................

Went out for a couple of miles yesterday, was scary, My picture isnt as good as the one about but note worthy anyways....

DSCN1659%5B9%5D.jpg
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    OK,from the comfort of my bed, may I ask you wise folk whether you think it'd be safe to cycle from SE London to Trafalgar Square?

As I walked home from friends' last night it was almost balmy and thawing fast, but did the ice come? I know I'll have to walk to the main roads, but once there will it be safe to cycle or too risky???

What's everyone else doing?
  • Cori: Possibly.

The problem today isn't snow. It's ice. The temps dropped overnight and froze everything as it is. Bare roads should be road to ride on, but anything with a bit of water/slush on it yestreday evening presents a risk of ice.

FWIW, I'm driving again today. I tried the riding in snow/frozen snow/re-frozen slush a few years ago. Like so many things in life, once is enough... ;-)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I managed to make it from my house to the local council offices where I'm fortunate enough to be posted today! It was only 2 1/2 miles and it took me about twice as long as normal going at a gentle pace on my old MTB! The side roads near my house where still a bit treacherous but I found it easier to stick to the tyre lines with the compact ice and just go easy then to try and plough through the snow down the middle!

The main roads into Croydon where nice and clear of snow but had varying levels of slushy black ice on them. The central Croydon roads where the worst but I think that was due to the higher level of big vehicles using the carriageway.

Once I got closer to the office I actually had a rather amusing experience where a gas van (Transit size) got stuck and I could still get past :-) I then went and had a brief play riding around in the deeper snow before locking the bike up and getting a latte :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • iain_j
    No bus for me today after all - the roads were clear as long as I took the super-primary position, ie. in the middle of the lane. The gutters were full of frozen slush and the pavements were frozen solid, which still didn't stop a few pavement cyclists! I had to get off and walk along it for about half a mile because of roadworks, and that was bad enough trying to stay upright.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Walked for about 45mins this morning :( There were still a few very brave/stupid i]delete as appropriate[/i souls riding on the icy bits..

Still, better than landing on my ass like the last time it was icy! Thawing rapidly now so hopefully getting home will be OK.
  • i was pulling away from cars yesterday on my mtb... the king's road in london wasn't gritted at half 7..... thanks fuck for knobbly tyres and discs....
    the hippies of today will be the squares of tommorrow
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rode the MTB in this morning. Richmond Park was brilliant. Put some photos on the other thread.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Rode the MTB in this morning. Richmond Park was brilliant. Put some photos on the other thread.
    Note to self: fix bike 5
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin wrote:
    Is that your bike? if so why is it chained to a lamp post if your at home???

Like CJ said, I don't really have any other option at the moment. I live in a 1st floor maisonette - I used to keep it in the hall downstairs but it was real pain to get past all the time and now that we have newly decorated hallway , I have banished it to the street.

It's not the most expensive bike in world but the irony is that I had planned to get a waterproof cover last week but couldn't find any in stock in my local LBS'. Go figure that the weather then decides to go all arctic on us!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • +1 on the ice - I've just been out a'sledding and my sled doesn't work on snow without ice beneath - it's got runners you see...

now to go and put the flat pedals on my rubbish roadie... sun's melting the ice... :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    +1 on the ice - I've just been out a'sledding and my sled doesn't work on snow without ice beneath - it's got runners you see...

LiTs, you're just a big kid at heart like the rest of us :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    A big kid with a terribly serious and not yet fully recovered leg injury :!: let's not forget...
  • Sorry mum... ;)

It's still too icy for cycling, my car just slid all over the place when I tried to move it and it has 4 big wide tyres... :shock:
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    hey cjcp, what's the other thread? I'd like to see the pics of the park this morning. bet it was beautiful.
    having seen a car slide straight into another right outside my house yesterday i didn't really fancy being a target today!
    Always in stealth mode
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Grrr I hate not being on the bike, tube yesterday, bus today, grrrrr.

I'm cycling in tomorrow, ice or no ice, snow or no snow.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm toying between brompton or fixed the whole way in tomorrow, guess I'll decide when I get up...might need to walk the bike to a main road
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14