Silly commuting racing

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited February 2009
    BJUK - Actually, it goes from 7 on the FG to either 4 or 6 on the roadie, depending on whether I count myself as a hairy roadie or a shaved roadie, considering that I don't have hairy legs irrespective of my biking... being a burd and all that...

Damn it.

I am going to gaffer-tape my scalp on.

EDIT: I'm reallyjust being lazy because I don't want to take the backpack... but yeah, makes sense I guess.

@Attica: I'll try! I'm not so great at spinning... :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    BJUK - Actually, it goes from 7 on the FG to either 4 or 6 on the roadie, depending on whether I count myself as a hairy roadie or a shaved roadie, considering that I don't have hairy legs irrespective of my biking... being a burd and all that...

Damn it.

Put the cast on it'll lower your FCN and make any scalps you encounter cry and turn back home to mummy, oh the shame, scalped by a burd in a cast :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Besides on the roadie your a lower FCN so you have more targets :twisted:

isnt that against the ethics of the game though?

Not really. Sandbagging with an artificially high FCN is though ...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • D'oh! Clearly the roadie is a lower FCN - 6 and 4 are bothlower numbers than 7...

I consider 4 to be higher than 7 because it's higher up the food chain... you can see my logic, right? Right? :shock: :oops:

Edit: Request judgement on the burd-roadie-leg-shaving FCN issue...
  • BJUK - Actually, it goes from 7 on the FG to either 4 or 6 on the roadie, depending on whether I count myself as a hairy roadie or a shaved roadie, considering that I don't have hairy legs irrespective of my biking... being a burd and all that...

Damn it.

EDIT: I'm reallyjust being lazy because I don't want to take the backpack... but yeah, makes sense I guess.

@Attica: I'll try! I'm not so great at spinning... :oops:

:shock: How would you claim to be a hairy roadie? Except, of course, with some under-cast morlock growth? :twisted:

[I have a vague recollection that this has been considered, but I can't remember the decision]

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Tiz the price you pay for being as you say a Burd

You could always even the odds and allow your leg hair to grow but that would be at the same level of wrong as men who shave their legs.

Oh the irony...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Well, yes, I see your point, clearly I'm not hairy of leg!

But it's the spirit of it - my hair-free legs do not make a statement about my perception of my cycling ability...
  • i think you should let your conscience decide....
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Ahhh, quit whining! Suck it up soldier! You're an SCRer, and tomorrow yur back in the Game. It's slaughtertime, not crisis of confidence time!

How's Fernando getting on? Full yet? Vaguely bike shaped yet?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Tchah, alright alright... you're just jealous because there's no get-out for blokes who shave their legs...

And Fernando has realised that he is not, in fact, eating the most expensive thing in the room (ostensibly his main aim) and appears to be looking for something made by B&O, his favourite producers of cables, or maybe something from Dell...
  • D'oh! Clearly the roadie is a lower FCN - 6 and 4 are bothlower numbers than 7...

I consider 4 to be higher than 7 because it's higher up the food chain... you can see my logic, right? Right? :shock: :oops:

Edit: Request judgement on the burd-roadie-leg-shaving FCN issue...

I do see your logic and that's how I was looking at it. I completely forgot all your modifiers on the FG so whilst you start at a FC-wise "higher" point you end up not much better off!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Well well, I made it into work!

Some of the things I've learned today:

1. Gears are only any use if you remember you have them.
    2. When the physio said 'fit flat pedals, it will help', you should probably presume he knows what he's talking about.
    3. If you fit pedals to your bike, remember to use grease when you do so or they will be very tricky to get off. Very, very tricky.
    4. 7 weeks off the bike doing nothing does not do wonders for your fitness.
    5. When not riding a FG you can coast.

Well I got scalped by about 5 people, it was a somewhat ouchy, soggy experience, but I'm happy to be back on the bike. It only gets better from here. :D
  • itboffin
    Well done LiTs I hope you took the details of all those who scalped you, you will have your revenge :evil:

Fingers crossed I might be back in the game myself soon and with any luck a change of killing fields too.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Interesting ride in today (as in Chinese curse 'interesting') - lot of ice covered by a thin film of water - decided speed in a straight line was the best option 8)
  • Ooooh another thing I learned is that I don't have the strength in my ankle to put my right foot down... it would have to be pointed and can't hold me up.

This made for some interesting wobbling/flailing... :shock:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    miserable day out.. but made myself feel better by destroying a roadie who was standing up going up hill as I still in the saddle and powered past

my wheel went pretty flat as I got to work... might let the bike shop do that one before I go home
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Ooooh another thing I learned is that I don't have the strength in my ankle to put my right foot down... it would have to be pointed and can't hold me up.

Are you fishing for shouts of "BE CAREFUL!" :?: :?: :roll:
  • don_don wrote:
    Ooooh another thing I learned is that I don't have the strength in my ankle to put my right foot down... it would have to be pointed and can't hold me up.

Are you fishing for shouts of "BE CAREFUL!" :?: :?: :roll:

Nope, just telling you guys all about my morning! :D

I only did it once... I'm a fast learner... :shock:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    BE CAREFUL!

Welcome back LiT, the only way is up now! :lol:

I had an ace commute this morning after a few tweaks and adjustments over the weekend. The winter hasn't been kind to my chain and mech though :?

It was just a plain chilly winter ride this morning. No snow or ice in sight. Still got numb fingers though.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I got the Trifecta of idiots today. At a busy crossroads in Chelsea, I was waiting for the red light to change when all at once I was passed by 1) a pavement rider 2) a RLJer who couldn't even see if anything was going to hit him and c) an old guy with headphones holding an umbrella RLJing on the wrong side of the centre bollard! I just shouted "you're all terrible! What are you thinking?!" as cycled past them.
  • AdiMac
    AdiMac Posts: 36
    Hello people, been having a few days off the Stan (Boardman) as I had my 1st slam on the ice last week.

Front wheel just went away from me on a roundabout, ended up sliding along on my chest, smashed my elbow and ripped a couple of big holes in the chest and elbow of my coat, front light broken and the car behind resting it's front wheel about 18"s from my head!!!

Did get back up and scalp a couple on the way to work but didn't see anybody on the way home. The snow and ice has prevented me going out agin, hope things clear up for tomorrow :D:D
    Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around you could miss it.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    AdiMac wrote:
    Hello people, been having a few days off the Satan (Boardman) as I had my 1st slam on the ice last week.

Front wheel just went away from me on a roundabout, ended up sliding along on my chest, smashed my elbow and ripped a couple of big holes in the chest and elbow of my coat, front light broken and the car behind resting it's front wheel about 18"s from my head!!!

Did get back up and scalp a couple on the way to work but didn't see anybody on the way home. The snow and ice has prevented me going out agin, hope things clear up for tomorrow :D:D

Fixed that for you. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    No friends, just enemies and a strip of tarmac I call my own.

Those were my thoughts today as I made my comeback commute on a challengingly wet Monday morning.

Without the restrictions of baggies wrapped around my thighs the tight freedom of lycra had me flying. I hit Tooting and lined up last in a chain of four cyclists. A guy on a Fuji single-speed powered past me on the right, I let him go as I found comfort in the experience of knowing what comes next.

Lights turned red. Ahead of us is the Tooting - Balham drag strip. Rain patters down. Huge puddle to the left of the ASL. I respectfully line behind the other cyclists, last.

Lights go green. I negotiate the puddle and remain wide. My minds eye places a Pinarello ahead of me and the power generates.

I don’t see the other cyclists again for the rest of the commute.

It’s lonely when you mean business.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    AdiMac wrote:
    Hello people, been having a few days off the Stan (Boardman) as I had my 1st slam on the ice last week.

Thats sounds bad - hope you recover soon!! I just took my MTB for the 2 snow and ice days - Back on Boardman Roadie today and fixie when the road salt has subsided.
  • DDD, when you say this:

Referring to this:
    Ahead of us is the Tooting - Balham drag strip.

I'm afraid my flag's already flying over Tooting High Street so you need to find somewhere else matey....perhaps somewhere closer to home....Wimbledon maybe!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • SiHughes wrote:
    DDD, when you say this:

Referring to this:
    Ahead of us is the Tooting - Balham drag strip.

I'm afraid my flag's already flying over Tooting High Street so you need to find somewhere else matey....perhaps somewhere closer to home....Wimbledon maybe!

:twisted: OI! I use that strip of road occasionally so I wouldn't be staking any claims on it yet :-D

Speaking of which I'll be on that strip from Wednesday so watch out for the lil' guy in a bright yellow jacket 8)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Well that was a rather soggy ride home! Thank goodness for the tailwind...

In awful, awful news, I was overtaken by 2 roadies, and an MTB....

The shame, the shame.

:cry::cry:

In other news, my new saddle is a shade too high. I'm blaming the above on this!! :wink:
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Today was my first SCR @ FCN 13.

I got a puncture within 3 miles (The bike is brand new not second hand lol)

I learn't that I couldn't sit in the highest gear regardless like when I was on my MTB

My computer does go over 30 mph on the flat

and that my love for cycling is GUSHING me now

Ohhhhhhh no scalps about :(
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    biondino wrote:
    I got the Trifecta of idiots today. At a busy crossroads in Chelsea, I was waiting for the red light to change when all at once I was passed by 1) a pavement rider 2) a RLJer who couldn't even see if anything was going to hit him and c) an old guy with headphones holding an umbrella RLJing on the wrong side of the centre bollard! I just shouted "you're all terrible! What are you thinking?!" as cycled past them.

It must have been cycle like a twassock day (a bit more lethal than "talk like a pirate day").

I got a ninja with an ipod, wevaing from pavement, to the oncomming traffic's lane, and all about 8mph on the flat.

I have now bought panniers, and today was the first day that I used them.

My back felt a lot cooler....
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    RAIN! I rode home in RAIN tonight! After a week of ultra-sub-zero wind and snow that has an annoying habit of sticking to my glasses - RAIN!

Never thought I'd appreciate it so much :D