Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    GOD I'M BORED !!!!!!

I can't even go out on my bike(s) now FFS what next a plague of locusts :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I nearly did this morning then saw sense and luckily took the car as that was sliding at times. I need more time on the bike otherwise I'll never make it round the Fred Whitton. :cry:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Feltup wrote:
    I nearly did this morning then saw sense and luckily took the car as that was sliding at times. I need more time on the bike otherwise I'll never make it round the Fred Whitton. :cry:

As your first Sportive? You mentalist! :lol: :shock:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    There's not long to go to the FW, about 15/16 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: I've taken the view that a week of now is better than six with a broken collar bone. I think it's time to enter the odd Sportive or two to get the mileage up
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    How hard can it be?
    :D

I think I might regret my decision to enter by the time I get to Newlands Valley but if you don't go you won't know!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    There's not long to go to the FW, about 15/16 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: I've taken the view that a week of now is better than six with a broken collar bone. I think it's time to enter the odd Sportive or two to get the mileage up

Exactly my thinking. I did 86miles with 6000ft of ascent two weeks ago but only had time for 50 miles with 10 off road on my fixie last weekend. I think I will have to do something similar this weekend with the current forecast.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Went out in the left overs of the snow/ice today and was careful on the white crispy bits, just rolled with no brakes or pedals. The only spot of wheelspin was on what looked like a clear patch of tarmac, only 1/2 a turn of uncontrol but enough to get the adrenal glands pumping. Got home to find a letter from the Insolvency Service with good news :D:D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Rich158
    Feltup wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Exactly my thinking. I did 86miles with 6000ft of ascent two weeks ago but only had time for 50 miles with 10 off road on my fixie last weekend. I think I will have to do something similar this weekend with the current forecast.

I've yet to get any long rides in this year. The first will be 70 miles on Sunday weather permitting, then it'll be

Puncheur March Sportive - 1 March
    Burgess Hill Spring Classic - 15 March
    Downland Spring Sportive - 19 April
    Princes Risborough - 26 April

If I can get in to all of them, with the Legs of Steel route thrown in somewhere between them.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158
    That's it, fully signed up for all four sportives, plus the FW and the Tour of Pembrokeshire

I must be stark raving mad :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    You shall now be known as Sportive Billy :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    That's better than my usual nicknames :D

My misses thinks I'm a lunatic, she may well have a point. I have a feeling I may be absolutely knackered by the FWC :?

If anyone wants to join me, give me a shout.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee more snow, we had sooo much over night in Bristol, I took the MTB again this morning which meant I could go through the woods at Ashton court in the snow in the way in, it was soo hard work but great fun and meant I could spend some time just doing massive skids on a grassy hills in the powder aswell…will that ever stop being fun? I turned up to work looking like some kind of frozen snow beast :D

...does now mean my kits is scattered around at work trying to dry out though :oops:

hope everyone got in ok
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Saw Bristol on the news this morning and thought of you lot :D

I did a double-take when I first looked out this morning - it's white again! However it was only a fraction of what we had on Monday so it hadn't built up on the roads. It was falling as I rode in though.

And I saw the first fellow cyclist of the week this morning, wearing shorts :shock: . WTF? I mean, seriously, WTF?
  • It's raining in London. I am happy about this. It means the ice is melting.

Also, it took me an hour to get from Ealing to Kensington on the tube this morning. It's 7 miles. I could have walked it that quickly (in theory).

I'm taking the bike tomorrow. Sod the physio.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    It's raining in London. I am happy about this. It means the ice is melting.

Also, it took me an hour to get from Ealing to Kensington on the tube this morning. It's 7 miles. I could have walked it that quickly (in theory).

Steady LiT - don't forget the rain will freeze tonight and tomorrow will be black ice - don't risk damage to the tendon when you've come this far (end of lecture) :)
  • It's raining in London. I am happy about this. It means the ice is melting.

Steady LiT - don't forget the rain will freeze tonight and tomorrow will be black ice - don't risk damage to the tendon when you've come this far (end of lecture) :)

Annoying but true. I'm going to make sure I leave work before temperatures plummet again, and I'll be seeing what temps are like tomorrow morning and slumming it on the bus if I have to. They are forecasted to be only 1 °c at 9am when I would normally be on the road, so not looking good, unfortunately.

And even if I fancied my bike-handling skills on ice, I don't fancy being close to drivers on ice.
  • Yes indeed, the rain last night in our area has made it even more dangerous whilst walking! I practically skated to school with a child holding onto one hand and me using my bike to keep myself steady!

Thankfully the roads are clearlng nicely and I'm almost tempted to get the road bike out tomorrow as I've realized my MTB is a heap O sh1t and the front deraileaur is jammed on the middle ring!! Even on the small gear at the back I can't get any decent speed up without spinning like a coked up gerbil after a double espresso!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    took the fixed intoday, my road is still slush/ice city but after that it was fairly clear... bagged myself another ss/fixed and two roadies... bam back in the game
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Clever Pun wrote:
    took the fixed intoday, my road is still slush/ice city but after that it was fairly clear... bagged myself another ss/fixed and two roadies... bam back in the game

Good job sir! Have a sweet on me!

Overtook everything I saw - all 3 bikes in the 4" of snow this morning, few hairy moments, but thats what MTB's are for isn't it?!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Good job sir! Have a sweet on me!

Overtook everything I saw - all 3 bikes in the 4" of snow this morning, few hairy moments, but thats what MTB's are for isn't it?!

I suspect that was loads of fun
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • We (by which I mean the London Embankment Massive Posse) are famous. Nay, infamous. Notorious, if you will.

I've just been to Condor. There's an Aussie guy there who's been there for years. Although I've never seen him on a bike, he's got that Cat 2 minimum look about him.

He was chatting to his mates about his new commute in from Wimbledon, and what routes he could take.

"Best thing" I butted in "is to head for Battersea Bridge and then come along the Embankment on the north side".

"Yeah", he said, looking slightly sheepish, "but I want to avoid that Embankment racing thing".

"Ha" I laughed, only just managing to suppress a mwhahahaha and rubbing my hands together in a fiendish way, "well, you wouldn't *have* to join in, would you?"

"Yeah, but I would though".

Proof indeed, that SCRing is irresistible and yet intimidating!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:

:twisted:

If I get absolutely spanked by a Cat 2 looking chap carrying a boomerang and a six pack whilst singing Men At Work's "Down Under" and wearing a corked hat, I know who it is.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • @G66

:lol::lol:

The word is spreading then! Mind you if that's the attitude of the people in the shop it might explain the poor performances I've had from some riders of their bikes!

Notice I qualified that statement as I'm fully aware that a few of the SCRer's ride Condors and having seen CP whip round Lambeth Roundabout on his folder I'd be interested to see him on the fixie!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • @G66 - brilliant!! Love it - even if I am not part of the massive.

I've got rid of some of my pent-up competitiveness - I just went to the gym and swimming! Gym was encouraging indeed - successfully did 20 minutes on a moderate resistance on the spinning bike without any ill effects. EDIT: Yet

Then I got in the pool. Somewhere I have a proper, practical cossie, but for now I'm using a silly halterneck thing, and I can't find my hat but can find my old swedish master goggles. So I'm in the fast lane, fiddling with said goggles, when a bloke in a fastskin gets in. For people who aren't geeks, that's what michael phelps wears. It's £300-ish of cossie. He didn't look worth it.

Now I'm standing in the fast lane, holiday cossie, goggles held together with string. He does a LOT of stretches then says to me 'could you move into the slow lane, I don't want you to hold me up, I'm training.'

This is going to be fun :twisted:

I obediently move, add a pull-buoy to my mix and set off. Eventually, it sounds like the apocalypse is taking place in the fast lane, I stick my head up and see what looks for all the world like a loose outboard motor being dragged along the pool.

I'm easily doing 1.5 lengths to his 1. I time myself so we reach the end at the same time every so often, then zip off past him. After 10 or so lengths he stops, so I do too, and hand him the pull-buoy.

'You want this now? I'm done with it'

I'm feeling better already. :twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes indeed, the rain last night in our area has made it even more dangerous whilst walking! I practically skated to school with a child holding onto one hand and me using my bike to keep myself steady!

Thankfully the roads are clearlng nicely and I'm almost tempted to get the road bike out tomorrow as I've realized my MTB is a heap O sh1t and the front deraileaur is jammed on the middle ring!! Even on the small gear at the back I can't get any decent speed up without spinning like a coked up gerbil after a double espresso!

Do the right thing and turn it single speed :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Oh dear, Silly Swimming Racing is born :lol:

I've not been swimming for a long time, since I were a lad, but I know the type of swimmer you're on about - I was kicked by them many times when they'd be doing wannabe Olympics while there's kids all about the place.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    @G66 - brilliant!! Love it - even if I am not part of the massive.

I've got rid of some of my pent-up competitiveness - I just went to the gym and swimming! Gym was encouraging indeed - successfully did 20 minutes on a moderate resistance on the spinning bike without any ill effects. EDIT: Yet

Then I got in the pool. Somewhere I have a proper, practical cossie, but for now I'm using a silly halterneck thing, and I can't find my hat but can find my old swedish master goggles. So I'm in the fast lane, fiddling with said goggles, when a bloke in a fastskin gets in. For people who aren't geeks, that's what michael phelps wears. It's £300-ish of cossie. He didn't look worth it.

Now I'm standing in the fast lane, holiday cossie, goggles held together with string. He does a LOT of stretches then says to me 'could you move into the slow lane, I don't want you to hold me up, I'm training.'

I obediently move, add a pull-buoy to my mix and set off. Eventually, it sounds like the apocalypse is taking place in the fast lane, I stick my head up and see what looks for all the world like a loose outboard motor being dragged along the pool.

I'm easily doing 1.5 lengths to his 1. I time myself so we reach the end at the same time every so often, then zip off past him. After 10 or so lengths he stops, so I do too, and hand him the pull-buoy.

:lol::lol::lol:

What a c0ck.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A case of ATGNI. LiTs hasn't lost her competetiveness, god forbid those that try and scalp her when she's let loose on the roads properly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326

:lol::lol:

You're a bad, but brilliant, woman.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Well and truly scalped - chapeau LiT 8)