Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino wrote:
    As I cycle through Putney common to the death bridge I am always convinced I can hear a bike behind me but there's never anyone there. Ghost rider? or my own rear mech?
    It may take me a while to forgive you Biondino - I now have the tune of Ernie -fastest milkman in the west by Benny Hill in my head :lol:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • TCS - That one car space is very valuable! Heaven forbid they can't get 5 yards further into the traffic jam ;-)
    I have actually had a few courteous drivers over the last few days that really made me think about how we remember things i.e. it's only really the bad behavior that sticks! I think it was yesterday when a driver hung back a bit to let me back across the lane so I could get into the bus lane (he got a thumbs up as I indicated to acknowledge him) and this morning a plonker in a Luton van pulled right into the ASL at a red light. I gave him a glaring look and indicated he should have stopped at the back line, but once the lights changed he didn't go racing off and let me and the other cyclist get off first :-)

Also, well done for keeping ahead of the dodgy car :-D

Agreed - I too have had a spate of very nice drivers of late, including a couple of white van men - I always signal a thank you. I'm now in the rather sad habit of putting out my right arm to pull into the far lane and converting my outstretched hand into a thumbs up before dropping it :oops:

Good point on keeping ahead of the dodgy car. I was too annoyed at being tricked by it to take the time to pat my own back for managing to keep ahead for so long :twisted:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:
    As I cycle through Putney common to the death bridge I am always convinced I can hear a bike behind me but there's never anyone there. Ghost rider? or my own rear mech?
    It may take me a while to forgive you Biondino - I now have the tune of Ernie -fastest milkman in the west by Benny Hill in my head :lol:

Arrgh

I was born into a world where that was the best selling record in the UK!

I'm not sure it's got much better in the intervening years...

I've just discovered that there are absolutely less than zero facilities for bikes in our Birmingham office, not only that but the security guard had an embolism when I walked in the door with my bike and took it upstairs to put in the office (pre-agreed with my boss, apparently I can't take it in the lift because someone once got caught in a lift with a cyclist and bike and got claustrophobic (nothing to do perhaps with being stuck in a lift?) and I can't take it on the stairs because I'm not insured (FFS my rucksack was heavier than my bike this morning).

Oh and I can't leave it in the underground car park because "a car might get damaged", the security guard is only obeying orders.

For you Tommy, ze bike ride is over

I have to laugh or I'll cry
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Attica wrote:

I've just discovered that there are absolutely less than zero facilities for bikes in our Birmingham office, not only that but the security guard had an embolism when I walked in the door with my bike and took it upstairs to put in the office (pre-agreed with my boss, apparently I can't take it in the lift because someone once got caught in a lift with a cyclist and bike and got claustrophobic (nothing to do perhaps with being stuck in a lift?) and I can't take it on the stairs because I'm not insured (FFS my rucksack was heavier than my bike this morning).

Oh and I can't leave it in the underground car park because "a car might get damaged", the security guard is only obeying orders.

WTF. WTF. That is completely ridiculous. How the hell are you going to damage a car with your bike. Also since when did people have to be insured to walk upstairs. Stories like this make me so glad I work in a small business. My bike lives in a corner, next to the MD's Tricross singlespeed and I'm free to use the lift with my whenever I like.

Poor old Attica.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I assume there's only one car in your car park then, any others would only damage it? If a bike's going to cause so much damage I dread to think how much another car would.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I think I truly have encountered a jobsworth of epic proportions, he's hilarious.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    The only restriction placed on me when I used to take my bike into PC World when I worked there was to make sure it didn't obstruct the fire exits :-)

I was also asked NOT to ride it round the store - didn't stop me having a quick go a few times and laying down some strips of black rubber on the floor :lol:

Thinking back now I didn't even used to have any issues when I took my bike down into TK Maxx in Croydon and I'd have to wheel it through the shopping centre and store then!

I've only ever been chucked out of one sites inside bike racks as I "didn't have a space arranged" - honestly!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    The only restriction placed on me when I used to take my bike into PC World when I worked there was to make sure it didn't obstruct the fire exits :-)

I was also asked NOT to ride it round the store - didn't stop me having a quick go a few times and laying down some strips of black rubber on the floor :lol:

Thinking back now I didn't even used to have any issues when I took my bike down into TK Maxx in Croydon and I'd have to wheel it through the shopping centre and store then!

I've only ever been chucked out of one sites inside bike racks as I "didn't have a space arranged" - honestly!

A couple of years ago, we had a major office reorganisation when our department effectively disbanded. For a couple of weeks, we (a team of 3) were the only people in a huge office which previously housed about 50. I sooooo wanted to bring my bike in and do a few laps. But the boss wouldn't let me. Spoilsport.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Arrgh

If it's pre-agreed with someone higher up the food chain, whose orders is he allegedly following? Bollox to that. Ride your bike in.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Arrgh

If it's pre-agreed with someone higher up the food chain, whose orders is he allegedly following? Bollox to that. Ride your bike in.

+1. That is riduculous, utterly ridiculous.

Escalate, I would. Talk to the boss with whom you pre-agreed... and tell him the security guard is being a grade-a c0ck.

FFS. :roll:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    IJ: I never really got to ride round all the store, it was just from front door to staff area at the back, the worse part tho was that the walkway that went right round the store was called "the racetrack"!!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Well another 60 miles and 4 lbs down and the weekend is upon us again, Had to use the Townsend for a couple-o-days this week, It hurt like HELL, But on Friday morning I shaved almost 3 mins of my PB time so was worth it, Had to cycle into Manchester City Center Friday evening, I got me 5 scalps without reply, Its amazing how many people cycle along without a care in the world, Then almost hit a bus.....scary......

Have a great weekend everyone.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Top work, GB. 8) :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    Top work, GB. 8) :twisted:

Cheers CJ Man, Im sure you all knew it was coming but im off out to buy me a hybrid this afternoon (Well look in a few shops and try a few on) I have my eye on a Sirrius or RB Vlocity :D

I can smell more scalps

• Bassjunkieuk
    GB, first off well done! I've also wondered how some people can just "pootle" along on a bike, it's something I've never really understood - when I get on my bike I just can't help but go fast!! That might have to change when I go out with my m8 tomorrow tho for fear of leaving him for dead, I'll just have to remember to explore some of my easier gears and concerntrate on a smooth pedaling technique :lol:

Also as for this talk of a hybrid..........join the dark side.............you know you want to!!
    GET A ROADIE :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    GB, first off well done! I've also wondered how some people can just "pootle" along on a bike, it's something I've never really understood - when I get on my bike I just can't help but go fast!! That might have to change when I go out with my m8 tomorrow tho for fear of leaving him for dead, I'll just have to remember to explore some of my easier gears and concerntrate on a smooth pedaling technique :lol:

Also as for this talk of a hybrid..........join the dark side.............you know you want to!!

lol im not sure that im ready to shave my legs, gimme another 1300 miles and then we can talk lol

Just had an interview with the local news paper, They are running a story based around my weight loss and have agreed to print my justgiving page and plug me for sponsorship, I feel like a celebrity now lol

• gb155 wrote:
    lol im not sure that im ready to shave my legs, gimme another 1300 miles and then we can talk lol

Just had an interview with the local news paper, They are running a story based around my weight loss and have agreed to print my justgiving page and plug me for sponsorship, I feel like a celebrity now lol

First off, great stuff gb. I've been reading your story from afar and am most impressed. You're making great progress with the weight loss and by doing it steady there is a far greater chance of it staying off. Top top man - you're an inspiration. Great news about the local paper as well - it should boost the charity cash and adds a further incentive for you to complete the riding mission.

I've got a Ridgeback Velocity - about 4 years old now but it has been a sturdy and strong friend. I've given it hell and it has taken it all and dared me to give it more. The Sirrus also gets good reviews. Let us know what you buy.
  • GB, first off well done! I've also wondered how some people can just "pootle" along on a bike, it's something I've never really understood - when I get on my bike I just can't help but go fast!! That might have to change when I go out with my m8 tomorrow tho for fear of leaving him for dead, I'll just have to remember to explore some of my easier gears and concerntrate on a smooth pedaling technique :lol:

The pootling all comes down to what you're on the bike for. If it is just transport then head down and go but lots of people see it as a chance to get out of the house, get some gentle exercise and get to explore their local environment - all things worth doing. (actually reminds me of a story - see if I can find it and C+P as too lazy to type it all out :D )
  • Drat - couldn't find story. If memory serves me correctly...

A Zen Master saw five students returning from town to the monastry on their bikes. He approached them and asked why they were on bikes.

The first said he rode so the bike and not he carried home the potatoes. Very wise said the master for you will not grow old with a back like mine.

The second said he cycled to observe the world. very good said the master, for you will learn to see more

The third said it cleared the mind - excellent said the master, for a clear mind beneifts meditation and that was important

The fourth said cycling put him in harmony with all sentient beings. most excellent said the master - for you are becoming one with the universe.

He then turned to the fifth and asked again why do you cycle. The fifth student said I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle. The Zen master sat at the student's feet and said “I am your student.” :D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I think most SCRers fall into the last category there........we only ride our bikes for the sake of riding our bikes. If we should happen to overtake other cyclist then that's the way it's meant to be as we're not trying to go faster then everyone else on 2 wheels :-)

Hopefully I should get more chances to ride just for the sake of riding soon!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    When I first got the bike my intention was to use it simply to get to work - however once I started riding my immediate reaction was to try to see how fast it could go - the I found this forum and alas have sold my soul to SCR - now I bike at weekends, upgrade,clean and get very perturbed any any strange noises the bike makes. I have been sucked into the world of cycling
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Two of my neighbours just whizzed past on their MTB dressed in all the kit, 5 mins if that later they returned WTF is up with that?

Not that i'm bored or anything :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:
    Two of my neighbours just whizzed past on their MTB dressed in all the kit, 5 mins if that later they returned WTF is up with that?

The correct response would have been to jump on the nearest bike and chase them down and scalp them! Just to make sure you really show them up get on that pink trike :-)

I've also just finished swapping over my saddle, bl00dy heck the clamp was dirty :shock:
    The bike had been making a weird squeaking noise for a while and I'd narrowed it down to my perch as it stopped when I stood up! I also kept putting off looking at it as I knew I wanted to swap the saddles back over! I think I have it lined up about right but I'm gonna take a 6mm allen key on my ride tomorrow so I can make adjustments whilst my m8 plays catch up :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Don't think I wasn't thinking about it.

Must save energy, must not chase cyclists.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

heh! well you get folks riding around RP in full MTB gear which seems some what pointless to me, since the trail can be ridden on old red with her 20mm tires with ease i don't really feel it's going to push a MTB limits really. but then until a few years ago my MTB play ground was the Breacon Beacons so i'd guess my expectations differ.
  • gb155
    Thanks everyone for the comments, I really couldn't decide what to buy, Think this will take longer than a woman and her shoes/handbags lol

• gb155
    itboffin wrote:

SCALP THEM !

• gb155
    gb155 wrote:

First off, great stuff gb. I've been reading your story from afar and am most impressed. You're making great progress with the weight loss and by doing it steady there is a far greater chance of it staying off. Top top man - you're an inspiration. Great news about the local paper as well - it should boost the charity cash and adds a further incentive for you to complete the riding mission.

I've got a Ridgeback Velocity - about 4 years old now but it has been a sturdy and strong friend. I've given it hell and it has taken it all and dared me to give it more. The Sirrus also gets good reviews. Let us know what you buy.

Thanks, yeah now I have gone pubic thee really is no going back now, Not that there ever was but now its cast iron.

Got my eye on a Dawes now after yesterday lol

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    gb155 wrote:
    Thanks, yeah now I have gone pubic thee really is no going back now

Dude, I know you're proud of your slimline figure but I'm not sure you need to go that far...

(this joke brought to you by "someone's going to make it so it may as well be me")
  • gb155
    biondino wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    Thanks, yeah now I have gone pubic thee really is no going back now

Dude, I know you're proud of your slimline figure but I'm not sure you need to go that far...

(this joke brought to you by "someone's going to make it so it may as well be me")
    oooooooooooooops, Watching the superbowl, Im off tomorrow, Thank go its like Iceland outside.