Silly commuting racing

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I am jacks raging heart.....

Last night - quick commute home, little race with an MTB, but his ass was mine in the traffic - being done by an SS up a hill must be gutting.

Anyhoo - bloke comes round to look at my Raleigh Banana fixie (for sale). So, I take the wheels off my SS to show him how it will look when it is finished. Anyway, cut a long story short, I decide to change the wheels and crank on my won SS for a bigger gear and to give my brand new wheels a road test......put crank extractor into the crank arm and start to do it up and force the arm off the BB - crank extractor pulls all the threads out of the crank instead......feck! Gonna have to angle grind BB to get fecked crank arm off......bollox.

Now back on Boardman for the week.....I am livid.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I have overtaken the same bloke on the same hill for three mornings now... :roll: :(
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    GTVL - I had a similar experience when giving my SCR a spring clean, it took 3 attempts to get the blasted crank off - the last done VERY carefully to ensure it didn't rip the last few remaining threads out!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I got really irate today with a guy on a MTB. I was in the bus lane at the bottom of Brixton hill and about to overtake a hybrid, the bus stopped up front so i moved out to the second lane giving plenty of space for the hybrid to move out too. Suddenly this MTB comes flying in between the hybrid and me. I had just finished overtaking and was starting to move in front of the hybrid. :roll: He then RLJ'd through Brixton before :evil: I caught up with him and called him a ******* ****.

I then saw a guy get whiped out on the drag up to Victoria by a white van man....he just drove into him whilst overtaking He stopped and the guy was ok.

Hungover and grumpy ride in.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Went out on tuesday in the rain and for some reason chose to do 90m climb in 2.5km! Anyway I got to the steapest part of the route and saw a scalp just asking for it. Both of us on MTBs but he had 23 more gears, I had the power of SCR in my legs. Got the scalp :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've never posted on this thread as I rarely ever see another cyclist on my commute. I have to make do with racing the motorised commuters. I'm starting to feel like Mowgli from the Jungle Book (with cars instead of animals as friends)!!

I've never looked into how the points system works, so how would you rate this!

Enjoy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_9_sie00EDU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZmPKU7Lo8
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Excellent vids EMD! WVM is particularly interesting as you must have kept up a far rate of knots just to be able to follow him for that long - chapeau sir :-)

The other one was just to easy, drivers like that needed to be done all ends up!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've never posted on this thread as I rarely ever see another cyclist on my commute. I have to make do with racing the motorised commuters. I'm starting to feel like Mowgli from the Jungle Book (with cars instead of animals as friends)!!

I've never looked into how the points system works, so how would you rate this!

Enjoy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_9_sie00EDU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZmPKU7Lo8

Welcome, clear your diary you've a lot of reading to do :lol:

Does cyclechat know you're flirting with the enemy :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Sorry not commuting but seeing as I never see anyone on my commute I had to tell you about my weekend ride.

So I was on a training ride from Nottingham into the Peak via Ilam and the Manifold Valley and I was descending into the upper end of Dovedale when I spied two bright yellow jackets part way up the climb opposite.

The shaved leg rider in team kit on my left shoulder started shouting in my ear

"Go to awesome power, destroy them, leave bloodied and sobbing on the verge"

but luckily the hairy legged rider with frozen toes and 50 hilly miles under his belt said

"reel them in steadily you've still got 35 miles to go"

I went with my right shoulder and the jackets were getting brighter and brighter as I closed the gap. Jacket one was meters away when she gave up the climb and started walking. She got a quick hello in the most easy breathing voice I could muster and then I set off after bright jacket #1. He was tapping out a steady rhythm on his granny ring whilst I was pushing my 34x27 and gaining. Once again I tried to calm my breathing as I approached him but I could see him tensing, he was looking nervous. It's only a scalping mate, won't hurt a bit honest!

I pulled alongside and said Hi (much easier than hello) and had the funniest reply from a scalping attack:-

" OH thank god for that, I thought you were my wife!"

I couldn't help but laugh before laying down a track of awesome all the way back to Nottingham (apart from the climb out of Brassington which always kills me, I hate that hill).
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I bloke on a fixed gear/singlespeed went past as I was waiting at the lights to pull out of a side road. He had yellow bar tape (tart) and this was the first fair game target I've seen in months so once the lights went green I pulled out and charged him down (ooh err). Caught up with him but he was going straight on whilst I wanted to turn off. Toyed with the idea of going out of my way to scalp him but thought better of it, was already late for work!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Found a proper rapid hybrid on the way home this evening, shame he had to resort to RLJ and riding on the pavement tho.........

Also lost a quick roadie as he meandered through the red light by Clapham North station!

The most outrageous bit tho was a guy waiting to come out of a side ride on a tri-spoke carbon wheeled beast! I don't think he turned down my way as he didn't come past me at all but I can only assume he was out on training

:shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Hi all,

Long time lurker, been pounding the track from Kingston to Houndsditch for a few years now. I know the howling fury of the Millbank Wind Tunnel, the bunch sprint through Death Star Canyon, the wild vastnesses of Richmond Park and of course the dizzying heights of the fabled Col du Putney Bridge, where great gulping lungfuls of that rarefied air yield only the smallest scrap of oxygen (nowt to do with all the motons parked there, spewing their fumes...).

But I've got a problem, and it's this: what's my FCN? I ride a Giant SCR 2.0, with full mudguards and panniers. And my legs are hairy (like a man). And I wear baggies. So does this make my starting FCN a 4, with a mudguard modifier of some sort (+1?), or a 6 (tourer with mudguards)? +2 modifiers for baggies and panniers in either case.

Can't help feeling that despite the guards, this is not a touring bike, so I'm leaning towards the 4+1; but I'd welcome a voice of experience.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

The most outrageous bit tho was a guy waiting to come out of a side ride on a tri-spoke carbon wheeled beast! I don't think he turned down my way as he didn't come past me at all but I can only assume he was out on training

:shock:

Arrospok

arrotron.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    bracketed wrote:
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, been pounding the track from Kingston to Houndsditch for a few years now. I know the howling fury of the Millbank Wind Tunnel, the bunch sprint through Death Star Canyon, the wild vastnesses of Richmond Park and of course the dizzying heights of the fabled Col du Putney Bridge, where great gulping lungfuls of that rarefied air yield only the smallest scrap of oxygen (nowt to do with all the motons parked there, spewing their fumes...).

But I've got a problem, and it's this: what's my FCN? I ride a Giant SCR 2.0, with full mudguards and panniers. And my legs are hairy (like a man). And I wear baggies. So does this make my starting FCN a 4, with a mudguard modifier of some sort (+1?), or a 6 (tourer with mudguards)? +2 modifiers for baggies and panniers in either case.

Can't help feeling that despite the guards, this is not a touring bike, so I'm leaning towards the 4+1; but I'd welcome a voice of experience.

Welcome Bracketed!

I do the Kingston-Fenchurch Street run.

I'd say you're a 7 (you start at 4, but add baggies and panniers)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bracketed wrote:
    Hi all,

Welcome, bracketed!

Kingston to Houndsditch. That's quite a journey. Chapeau!

Unfortunately (for you) there's Bob Hope and no Hope of you passing off an SCR 2.0 as a tourer. Zero. Zip. Nada.

So that makes you a 4 +1 (for the pannier) +1 (for the baggies). Which is 6, in case you were running out of fingers.

I'm assuming that when you say
    bracketed wrote:
    And my legs are hairy (like a man).

you are, in fact, a man. Please don't say "no".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    So that makes you a 4 +1 (for the pannier) +1 (for the baggies). Which is 6, in case you were running out of fingers.

FCN calc says 7. Don't ask me why. I don't understand these things; I just punch in the details, ok?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

OK.

I'm going to sit down now, and see how cjcp has added 4 + 1 + 1 and got 7...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

OK.

I'm going to sit down now, and see how cjcp has added 4 + 1 + 1 and got 7...

I'm not joking! Check it out:

http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn/
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nope. It's a straightforward case of the Younger Generation being over reliant on calculators, having abandoned the third of the 3 Rs in favour of electronic wizardy.

The calc has had a few other errors like this. But undoubtedly 4+1+1= 6, not, regardless of what the calc says.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Nope. It's a straightforward case of the Younger Generation being over reliant on calculators, having abandoned the third of the 3 Rs in favour of electronic wizardy.

The calc has had a few other errors like this. But undoubtedly 4+1+1= 6, not, regardless of what the calc says.

I can hear the click, click, click of the beads on the abacus as I type...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • See if he's on flats it's a +2 onto the 6... if toe clips/stealth clipless then +1. To get 6 it would have to be evidently clipless according to the calculator...
  • See if he's on flats it's a +2 onto the 6... if toe clips/stealth clipless then +1. To get 6 it would have to be evidently clipless according to the calculator...

Great Scott, she's onto something.

It looks like by default, the calc selects the middle radio (round) button when none is selected. So for the headgear section, by default it's a zero. But for the Pedals section, the middle button is only zero if the starting point is >8. So it adds a sneaky one to a 4 without telling anyone.

Wasn't that interesting? Where's the emoticon for falling asleep?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • You started it, maths-man!

Fews hours later and this could have been an OU webcast.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    FFS go to bed you bunch of boring f@ckers! :D
  • I still have wine. YOU go to bed! :lol:
  • il_principe
    I'm in bed! Yey laptop. Boo ever diminishing battery power...
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    See if he's on flats it's a +2 onto the 6... if toe clips/stealth clipless then +1. To get 6 it would have to be evidently clipless according to the calculator...

Great Scott, she's onto something.

It looks like by default, the calc selects the middle radio (round) button when none is selected. So for the headgear section, by default it's a zero. But for the Pedals section, the middle button is only zero if the starting point is >8. So it adds a sneaky one to a 4 without telling anyone.

Wasn't that interesting? Where's the emoticon for falling asleep?

Which leaves us where? 6? 7? 27? BBC2 6am?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."