Silly commuting racing

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    All buses turn left over the bridge at that junction though...

My tip, when there's a bus in the LH lane, is to switch over and filter between lane 1 & lane 2.

You know in eight years of doing that route I hadn't worked that out.....

I have things that live in my fridge that have a better pattern recognition ability than me.....

Something that seems to be the case for many of your "City" brethren...
  • Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    182LB or 13st

So just the boys playing this game then :wink: next we'll be back onto the how old are you thing...

Fine. I'll play. 81kg. I carry my weight well, ok? And I have really heavy bones. And a massive brain :twisted:

I'm 82kg, and although I thought I was 5'8, turns out I'm actually more like 5'7, according to my PA and a tape measure...

Or maybe I shouldn't trust her...

I have no excuses. I eat too much. However, in my defence, I have come down from 95kg.
  • il_principe

I'm 82kg, and although I thought I was 5'8, turns out I'm actually more like 5'7, according to my PA and a tape measure...

I have no excuses. I eat too much. However, in my defence, I have come down from 95kg.

You have a PA?! I want a PA godammit. Can they be trained to service bikes do you think? Or would that make them a PA?

My weight has basically not changed since I was 19 or so, no matter what I do it just hangs at around - 79kg at the mo I think.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I started running nearly two years ago in order to lose weight, and I'm now heavier than I was then :(

But I am much fitter, more toned and a bit slimmer. And happier :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...

• I'm 82kg, and although I thought I was 5'8, turns out I'm actually more like 5'7, according to my PA and a tape measure...

You have a PA?! I want a PA godammit. Can they be trained to service bikes do you think? Or would that make them a PA?

My weight has basically not changed since I was 19 or so, no matter what I do it just hangs at around - 79kg at the mo I think.

I think that mine would be very unhappy with the idea of anything where she might break a nail, bike servicing included!

Other than that she's great. :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DDD, which way where you heading on Denmark Hill when you had the problem?
    I often get that horrid revving behind me when I have a bus stop ahead and a few times the to55er's have tried to race past and get the the stop. I use Denmark Hill but normally join/leave it at Sunray Avenue. I know there's a few stops on the climb up it and on the way down I'm normally well over into the middle of the bus lane as I'm doing about 25 and know how some drivers think the bus lane is actually a giveway line extension.......

I did see a cyclist get into a rather heated argument with a coach driver once heading down Kennington Park Road. The coach driver in question was racing down the bus lane, which had several cyclist in (not all where the super confident type). All the cyclist asked, once the driver had stopped, was for him to slow down or pull over to give us more room. He didn't so at the next stop the cyclist again confronted him about it and this time the driver actually got out of the coach and right into the cyclist face.

It's scary to think that people like that can be put in charge of such a large vehicle.

I was heading up teh climp towards Kings College Hospital Emergence entrance and onto Camberwell Green.

Denmark Hill, Camberwell leading towards Walworth Road actually isn't that bad for cyclists the buses are a huge worry though but I encouter generally worse (car) drivers around Clapham, Balham and Tooting.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm 12 stone 5 pounds. If I could get under 12 stone I'd be a happy happy man.

(p.s. those of you who use kilograms MTFU and get with the far sexier imperial measurage! Or does dividing by 14 sound like too much hard work :twisted: )
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    biondino wrote:

(p.s. those of you who use kilograms MTFU and get with the far sexier imperial measurage! Or does dividing by 14 sound like too much hard work :twisted: )

Chapeau good sir.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    biondino wrote:

I get weighed at the docs etc and they say 81kg so that's my official weight. At the gym I'm apparently 12 st 4, but that doesn't match up with 81kg, so who knows. And who cares. It's all in my chest anyway...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Can't really say that stretch through Camberwell is particularly bad as I think most of the routes I use are fairly heavilyy trafficked. If I'm not heading into or out of London that way I'm going via Brixton and Streatham, with the occasional divert down the way you mentioned.

Having said that Walworth Road leading to E&C is nice as it's been resurfaced a few months ago and is now silky smooth :-) Quite the opposite to the broken death surfaces before hand! I once did a rather nice endo (didn't come off) when trying to stop to retrieve a water bottle that had ejected itself after hitting a bump setting off from some lights down there. All good fun and something I wasn't expecting to do on my road bike :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    You've got to admire BJ's and DDD's tenacity and commitment to a thread about commuting. The rest of you fanny on about your weight but they valiantly keep the talk about cycling an roads an stuff...

Bless. :wink::D
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Jen J wrote:
    At the gym I'm apparently 12 st 4, but that doesn't match up with 81kg, so who knows. And who cares. It's all in my chest anyway...

Chapeau!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2008
    Jen J, muscle is generally heavier than fat (so I've been told) so it may be the case that you were running, loosing fat/mass but gaining weight through building/developing muscle. - My excuse....

L-i-T what would you do if you found your PA on Facebook, or what would she do if she found you on here?

Am I the heaviest guy in this thread, oh for f*ck sake, life just isn't fair!

Whilst I'm playing the I'm really broad, a man and muscle is heavier than fat card. How did you come done from 95kg? I'm in need of serious advice that doesn't involve a crash diet.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Jen with comments like that you'll be most welcome at Christmas do I'm sure! :wink:

I'll play.

Around 11 stone. Apparently the average woman woudl like to weigh 12lbs less.

Therefore I am average!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Jen J
    Coriander wrote:
    You've got to admire BJ's and DDD's tenacity and commitment to a thread about commuting. The rest of you fanny on about your weight but they valiantly keep the talk about cycling an roads an stuff...

Bless. :wink::D

I was just thinking that...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    (Predictably) I use kilos. 82.

Jaysus.

6 kilos lighter than me and you are cracking on like Victoria fecking Beckham.

Well then matey, if it's only 6 kilos, you'll have no trouble dropping it. :twisted:
    :twisted: :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2008
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I get weighed at the docs etc and they say 81kg so that's my official weight. At the gym I'm apparently 12 st 4, but that doesn't match up with 81kg, so who knows. And who cares. It's all in my chest anyway...

Oh my good I think I love you!

Quag.PNG

Giggity giggity giggity giggity!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J, muscle is generally heavier than fat (so I've been told) so it may be the case that you were running, loosing fat/mass but gaining weight through building/developing muscle. - My excuse.

Absolutely, and I can see the difference. The problem is that for endurance events it will be a real benefit to lose a couple of stone, as that would equate to a lot of time off my PBs, and for my big race next summer, I want to be well under 11 stone.

I just have no idea how I'm going to get there, as I enjoy eating far too much. I have managed to maintain my weight despite exercising for 2-3 hours a day on average for the last couple of months, so I must eat a *lot*.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    15 stone + but I am over 6ft - been at this weight since my early twenties not matter how much exercise I do - maybe riding thd bike will get it down
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks Corrie for the kind words but alas I did deviate from the topic slightly!
    Can't really say that stretch through Camberwell is particularly bad as I think most of the routes I use are fairly heavilyy trafficked. If I'm not heading into or out of London that way I'm going via Brixton and Streatham, with the occasional divert down the way you mentioned.

Having said that Walworth Road leading to E&C is nice as it's been resurfaced a few months ago and is now silky smooth :-) Quite the opposite to the broken death surfaces before hand! I once did a rather nice endo (didn't come off) when trying to stop to retrieve a water bottle that had ejected itself after hitting a bump setting off from some lights down there. All good fun and something I wasn't expecting to do on my road bike :-)

I never experienced Walworth road before the it was re-laid. It's wonderful though isn't it. I find that around 5/6pm there is hardly any traffic and is both smooth and firm (Jen J :wink: ) to ride on!

I think that that has to be the best bit about riding into London from work!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    BD, my imperial weight is around 10st 8lb I "think" I know I've never been much around 10st, but I will have to try and weigh myself this evening or tomorrow morning to check......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Are BassJ and DD flirting ?

I think they are...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    L-i-T what would you do if you found your PA on Facebook, or what would she do if she found you on here?.

Nothing. We're VERY quiet here at the minute, and she does everything I need her to in a timely fashion. And I'm sure she'd be the same the other way round.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whilst I'm playing the I'm really broad, a man and muscle is heavier than fat card. How did you come done from 95kg? I'm in need of serious advice that doesn't involve a crash diet.

I changed my diet permanently, limit the treats to 1 packet of crisps a week, one takeaway a month. I now eat less red meat, eat a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner,rty to eat earlier, only drink when there's a good reason to. And I try to keep my cycling at around 100 miles a week, as well as going to the gym 3x a week and kickboxing once a week.

My travel schedule can get in the way of this, but I work around it. I now notice a change in measurements rather than weight.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Am I the heaviest guy in this thread, oh for f*ck sake, life just isn't fair!

Well (20 months ago) I was 16.5 stone, then went on the Dumped Diet and got my lardy rse on a bike and got down to a tad below 14...then went back up to 14.5 and been hanging round that weight for some time...

Got to loose more though :?

On the way in this morning, didn't see anything worth chasing, cos I was gaining on everything, and I don't think I was overtaken at all :D (filtering excluded of course)

I did have some muppet on a bike who thought he'd box me in by queue jumping and stopping right next to me at Vauxhall...I was trying to think of a polite way of saying "Oi **IT for brains! Any particular reason why you're boxing me in?" But I'm a photographer and not very bright at the best of times, so a just pushed off as the lights changed and made my own room...Hoping he would take the hint in the process...Ho hum
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • 5ft 7", 168lbs =BMI disco tits...
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Me thinks JA is just jealous, just because 2 people can stay vaguely on topic (a new trick on this thread)

Having said that I didn't even make one mention or reference to Jen Js overtly provactive comments, unlike other people. For once I have the excuse that I actually got nabbed to do some work.......

Anyhow, DDD do you actually get as far down Walworth Road as E&C? The change in road surface down that end is quite fun! Especially when you need to run the gauntlet and pay for a gap as you approach that busy roundabout!

As for a good demonstration of the muscle/fat difference I think Jamie Oliver did a show a while back where they had 3 guys on doing a fitness test. The guy who did the best was actually the heaviest as he played rugby! Hence he had good overall fitness and quite a lot of (heavy) muscle. It wasn't until they showed the body fat content that you saw the true picture......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J, muscle is generally heavier than fat (so I've been told) so it may be the case that you were running, loosing fat/mass but gaining weight through building/developing muscle. - My excuse.

Absolutely, and I can see the difference. The problem is that for endurance events it will be a real benefit to lose a couple of stone, as that would equate to a lot of time off my PBs, and for my big race next summer, I want to be well under 11 stone.

I just have no idea how I'm going to get there, as I enjoy eating far too much. I have managed to maintain my weight despite exercising for 2-3 hours a day on average for the last couple of months, so I must eat a *lot*.

But endurance wise surely it comes down to the type of muscles you develop. To my understanding (and a real simplyfied version) there are lean muscles that lend themselves to making a person looked ripped (great for endurance I think it has something to do with the generation of lactic acids amongst other things) and there are the big bulky mass muscles (most used for short bursts of absolute power) - that aren't good for endurance. Lean muscles still wiegh more than fat but not as much as the bulky mass muscles.

The subject of eating: My doctor is Asian and felt that he could give me a lecture about the troubles of Carribean Food/Indian food sold in this country not being healthy (whereas in the homeland there is nothing healthier). He said to eat healthy smaller amounts throughout the day as you body can metabolise them quicker. Also not starve yourself because your body will force itself into 'starvation mode' and is infact harder to loose weight immediatly (obviously you will loose weight but not through exercise as you won't have energy to loose weight).

Lastly, how your built. (Here he goes again) I'm fairly wide, shaped differently to Europeans that I suspect BMI's and ideal weight guidelines are based on. There has to be acceptable variables to the rule because not everyone (especially around the World) is shaped the same. This may be the case for yourself (not having seen you I'm speculating) but you may be 12stone but your body may demand that you are infact 12stone as in your optimum weight.

Please feel free to correct and educate me on what I'm saying here, your the athlete I'm the overweight brotha riding a bike in a vein hope...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    edited October 2008
    Aaargh. Double post - couldn't delete it...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    I did mention last week some time that I posted first, thought later... :oops:

Anyway, the whole weight/bmi thing is a load of rubbish for anyone that actually exercises, as according to that, most rugby players/rowers etc are morbidly obese.

And skinny people can have more internal fat surrounding their organs, which can be more dangerous than visible 'external' body covering fat. The only way to detect this is by a bodyscan, rather than judging them by their size.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was going to utterly DESTROY a lady commuter on the way in today. She was miles ahead of me on the cycle paths but I very soon caught up.

There were TWO main problems:

She saw me coming and very politely waited for me to go past at the filter gates
    Her bloody bike was the brightest PINK I have ever seen. The damn' thing was dayglo! She would never need to use lights on the thing as it would light up like a core meltdown on a dark night. God it was bad.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter